You are not logged in.

#26 2008-05-25 09:54:32

dhave
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Re: Exherbo, a new distro from some Gentoo devs

Cerebral wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is.  Just having a website about their project doesn't suddenly mean everyone gets the right to try it out.  Let them work on it, generate some buzz, and when they're ready, they'll let people use it.

Well, after reading their webpage, which I should have done before commenting, I decided to be un-miffed. This line convinced me that the Exherbo devs aren't misanthropes, after all:

Really, all we provide is a few things that the few people working on all this find useful for themselves. When we have something for anyone else, we'll let you know.

Donate to Arch!

Tired? There's a nap for that. --anonymous

#27 2008-05-25 11:00:20

sniffles

Hm.. well even on the wikipedia article on Arch Linux you see that "[arch] is a Linux distribution inspired by CRUX". Either this confuses people and makes them think that Arch is forked from/based on CRUX.. --or-- (consider this tongue in cheek:) if CRUX hadn't existed, the source of inspiration would not have been there so perhaps Arch never would have existed (or wouldn't have been what it is today) yikes I dunno.

EDIT: I just noticed the screenshot of an arch "desktop" on wikipedia displays DWM running on Arch. Heh.. how come DWM is so popular on this distribution !? [heck, even *I* started using it after I switched to Arch]

Last edited by sniffles (2008-05-25 11:01:38)

#28 2008-05-25 13:37:11

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

sniffles wrote:

EDIT: I just noticed the screenshot of an arch "desktop" on wikipedia displays DWM running on Arch. Heh.. how come DWM is so popular on this distribution !? [heck, even *I* started using it after I switched to Arch]

All your desktop are belong to us. tongue
Hehe. I actually use openbox, like most self-respecting Archers. Don't listen to the evil DWM users on the other side of the Island..they have slippery ways and forked tongues.

#29 2008-05-25 14:19:56

moljac024

Yes, do not leave the path of openbox! For dwm is the dark side of window management.

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#30 2008-05-25 15:14:31

sniffles

Right. Like I'm about to trust someone with a Darth Vader avatar regarding who represents `the dark side`! If anything, I now think OpenBOX is the dark side. Anyway, funnily enough I actually *was* using OpenBOX on Debian before switching to Arch + DWM.

Anyway, any updates on Exherbo anyone?

Anyway, I like saying "Anyway," a lot.

Last edited by sniffles (2008-05-25 15:18:05)

#31 2008-05-25 15:54:52

moljac024

Openbox IS the greatest!"

*waves hand doing jedi mind trick*

Last edited by moljac024 (2008-05-25 15:57:54)

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#32 2008-05-29 12:48:41

b9anders

so dynebolic, linux from scratch. yoper, pardus in addition to aforemented.

Although suse derives from slackware they have so little in common now, I wouldn't call it a derivative. Basically, they set sail from slack harbour and have rebuilt the ship entirely at sea.

#33 2008-11-19 00:16:07

Ranguvar

Sorry for bringing back the dead thread, but there's cause tongue

The site now has new info, etc. I am not a fan of their attitude, and it worries me that they haven't made any statements about simplicity or minimalism. IMO, attitude and being overly complex "killed" Gentoo. But anyways, digging deeper, into their Git and their info on Exheres, their package system, they seem to be doing one thing that I love - innovating. It's not all blunder, apparently.

So, we'll see. I'll be installing Exherbo in a VM soon (if it installs...), if not, I'll just look more into their package manager and new init system, etc., and report back my thoughts.

Last edited by Ranguvar (2008-11-19 00:31:11)

#34 2009-03-21 03:17:47

plurt

this thread couldn't die just yet smile

The site now has several images for vm's of all kinds and the vdi I downloaded seems to be running fine

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane I say.
FAQ / Beginners Guide / The Arch Way

Board footer