You are not logged in.

#176 2009-10-02 23:03:54

Anikom15
Banned
Website

Re: Lame excuses you've heard not to switch to Linux

I think Linux should stick with the geeks. Think about school days, we don't want to be popular. Popularity will ruin Linux. If someone is foolish not to try Linux, then they are not worth coming in.

67% of these lame excuse were made up.
67% of percentages are made up on the fly.
67% of 67% of percentages are made up on the fly are made up on the fly.

Personally, I'd rather be back in Hobbiton.

#177 2009-10-02 23:37:31

ammon

Anikom15 wrote:

I think Linux should stick with the geeks. Think about school days, we don't want to be popular. Popularity will ruin Linux. If someone is foolish not to try Linux, then they are not worth coming in.

67% of your post is made up... on the fly.

#178 2009-10-03 08:57:56

SpeedVin

Anikom15 wrote:

+1
They want evrything out-of-box but what about customasability?
But I think that Newbies will go for nice looking and out-of-box distros and the harded and simple like:
-Gentoo
-Arch
-Slackware
-And many more!
Will be for geeks.

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-10-03 08:58:37)

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#179 2009-10-03 09:31:57

greenfish

Linux is a server oriented os and security kernel from scratch but that doesn't mean it's impossible to mold into something else. One of the things I really like about the kernel is that they keep the X server in userland instead of kernel space. Everytime my windows setup bsod the whole GUI would lockup and a reboot was imminent, that rarely happens in linux unless it's ATI related.

Linux isn't just for geeks, and ubuntu/suse/fedora/pclinuxos is trying to change that by introducing linux to a larger user audience smile

Mainstream = more money = more developers = better support

And the best part is no matter what you think about mainstream, you can always run your own custom kernel or achlinux and here's the best part, you CAN STILL BENEFIT FROM ADDED HARDWARE SUPPORT FROM THE MAINSTREAMED DISTROS smile

ARCH64 archSKYNET server AMD  Phenom(tm) II X2 550 HDD 6TB Ram 8GB
Hobbies: Running, Pistol Marksmanship, Classic Music

#180 2009-10-03 10:35:24

Berticus

This wasn't a thread meant to really solve a problem, it was meant to just be a sort of fun thread. Once in a while, you just run into some fanboy who spouts of why your OS is wrong.

#181 2009-11-06 21:44:35

GypsyJoker

I've never heard the excuses not to switch to linux, because mostly i can't be assed with trying to convert the windows users. But boy howdy, have i heard some shit for *using* linux, such as the whole "It's good for a server but sucks for a desktop, i can't play games," etc, etc, etc, but perhaps my alltime favorite was "FFS, WHY?!? it's more unstable, has more viruses, and will fsck up your hardware to no end, plus it can't multitask, and it doesn't even have a GUI!" that one, btw, was last year.

#182 2009-11-07 15:26:54

JohannesSM64
Website

linkmaster03 wrote:

"How do you know someone didn't just put a keylogger in the code since it's open?"

Hahahahah D:
I know many people who are planning to stick with Windows XP for years to come, and it's always because of the killer apps only available for Windows and/or being used to Windows. Not really lame excuses.

#183 2009-11-07 18:34:12

Themaister
Website

GypsyJoker wrote:

I've never heard the excuses not to switch to linux, because mostly i can't be assed with trying to convert the windows users. But boy howdy, have i heard some shit for *using* linux, such as the whole "It's good for a server but sucks for a desktop, i can't play games," etc, etc, etc, but perhaps my alltime favorite was "FFS, WHY?!? it's more unstable, has more viruses, and will fsck up your hardware to no end, plus it can't multitask, and it doesn't even have a GUI!" that one, btw, was last year.

DOS?:P

#184 2009-11-07 19:55:42

urist

Despite having many doctors on the CS staff here at college, I run into some unfortunate people who I eventually tune out to avoid lowering my IQ.

Said by a prof to a fellow Linux user: "Why don't you use Windows 7? It's more secure."

#185 2009-11-07 19:57:07

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

urist wrote:

Despite having many doctors on the CS staff here at college, I run into some unfortunate people who I eventually tune out to avoid lowering my IQ.

Said by a prof to a fellow Linux user: "Why don't you use Windows 7? It's more secure."

lol:lol::lol:

so sad...... lol

#186 2009-11-08 03:27:36

Ranguvar

crouse wrote:
urist wrote:

so sad...... lol

Don't eat the FUDshrooms!

#187 2009-11-08 04:36:21

whaevr

urist wrote:

*Sigh*
I feel the stupid excuses will increase quite a bit now that Windows 7 is out.

Also for a stupid excuse to respond to the quoted one above

"Have you tried the new Ubuntu!?"

Battling stupid with stupid tongue

Last edited by whaevr (2009-11-08 04:37:50)

#188 2009-11-08 05:49:23

efeX

"too confusing"

#189 2009-11-08 10:39:23

Aprz

whaevr wrote:

"Have you tried the new Ubuntu!?"

Tell me more about this new Ubuntu. yikes Where?!

big_smile big_smile big_smile

That's too funny.

Meh, I've given up on trying to educate the public. For awhile, and as you can see in my previous posts, I used to think it was really important that people use GNU/Linux and attempt to use open source alternative over proprietary software for the sake of progress, contribute to society, and give the support open source projects need, but it's all a lost cause.

#190 2009-11-08 13:45:55

szymon_g

crouse wrote:
urist wrote:

so sad...... lol

and what wrong with that? 'default' linux (i.e. without hardened kernel + userspace) isn't more secure than windows. just nobody cares about 1% of market share (or less- on desktop)

#191 2009-11-08 14:33:31

mvdvarrier

Since a couple of years I do not recommend linux to anybody because of stupid responses from them. A couple of months back I did install Arch Linux and Pardus-2009 in my laptop. Arch is lean & mean and meant for   powerfull tasks and pardus  for my daughters. studying in primary school (By the way pardus-2009 have the most wonderfull KDE4 implementation I have ever seen.) Since it is my personal   laptop I am very reluctant to expose it to others. A couple of my collegues accidently saw these linux installations and asked more details about it. Due to previous bitter experiences I did not show much intrest in the matter. After a couple of days they managed to install Ubuntu-8.10 in their laptops by paying Indian Rupees 1500(Approx 50 US$) each to a local PC shop. Now that is the most advanced OS according to them. On the other hand even if I have installed any latest & greatest Linux Distro in their PC for free I am sure they will neglect it. From these The human nature is well exposed that free things will be under evaluated despite of their quality.
mvdvarrier

mvdvarrier is a Warrior; Born to Expedite!!!

#192 2009-11-08 16:03:18

crouse
Arch Linux f@h Team Member
Website

szymon_g wrote:
crouse wrote:
urist wrote:

so sad...... lol

and what wrong with that? 'default' linux (i.e. without hardened kernel + userspace) isn't more secure than windows. just nobody cares about 1% of market share (or less- on desktop)

wow...... you have alot to learn, I hope your not serious roll

#193 2009-11-09 01:17:43

Ranguvar

szymon_g wrote:
crouse wrote:
urist wrote:

so sad...... lol

It's true that the small desktop share helps, but did you think about the mammoth server market share GNU/Linux has?

No, there are numerous technical reasons GNU/Linux is more secure than Windows.  Dynamic linking, updates for the entire OS through the package manager, Free Software (MUCH faster vulnerability report and response time), root system with sudo.....

Board footer