You are not logged in.

#976 2009-03-10 18:10:31

MarCustomized

Re: Acer Aspire One

What kind of messenger bags are you guys using?  I want something small that doesn't look like a purse.  A mini backpack I could bike with would be perfect.

#977 2009-03-10 22:43:59

Tera

I'm going to push out new kernel26-one-dev out tonight in a few moments for you to play with. Just wait as soon as the compile finishes on my Aspire and I get to run a few basic Q/As on it. I will update this post after that. I've been running it as my primary kernel since I started maintaining it and it has improved a lot since the first releases.. actually the kernel source tree has just stabilized so that it's usable now for day to day use wink

So the hilights are 2.6.29-rc7-git3, native ext4 support and it includes a patch for the wireless leds. It should apply cleanly against 2.6.28 as well if someone is interested.

Bugs fixed:
I have fixed the error message "error: scriptlet failed to execute correctly". It was a rather silly issue. No more about it.
Enabled verbose output for USB devices,
"CONFIG_NETFILTER_NETLINK_QUEUE=m" as asked on the package comments.
First release with XFS support as well.
First release with a support for 3G modems. Verified with Huawei E160.
Suspend should be working. It was really badly broken back in rc5 days.

FYI, I'm running my own machine with /home off a SDHC card (on the left slot) with ext4 filesystem. Works good.
FYI2, I see a lot of people downloading various kernels from my Arch dump directory without really knowing what they are doing. Please don't do that as there are a lot of stuff (mainly kernel related stuff) a normal user should stay away from unless stated otherwise somewhere, by me.

EDIT: Uploaded the kernel. roll

Last edited by Tera (2009-03-11 01:50:49)

#978 2009-03-11 20:08:01

dunc

Tera wrote:

it includes a patch for the wireless leds.

Woohoo! big_smile

I've been using the oneice kernel, since I use Tuxonice on my desktop. But to be honest the AAO boots so quickly, I haven't really felt the need for it. I might give yours a go, especially if it gives me working Wi-Fi LEDs. Heheh. smile

0 Ok, 0:1

#979 2009-03-11 23:18:45

Tera

dunc wrote:
Tera wrote:

it includes a patch for the wireless leds.

Woohoo! big_smile

I've been using the oneice kernel, since I use Tuxonice on my desktop. But to be honest the AAO boots so quickly, I haven't really felt the need for it. I might give yours a go, especially if it gives me working Wi-Fi LEDs. Heheh. smile

If you don't feel like running a development kernel, you can always modify your oneice's, or the stock kernel's PKGBUILD to include the patches.

#980 2009-03-12 14:49:12

Zom

kaola_linux wrote:

Anyway, i have all my packages backed up on my external disk.  So it won't be a big prob to reinstall...:) Are you still using kdemod 4.2 on your AA1? I might as well try it also again..:)

Yep, it's still pretty awesome. big_smile

ichbinesderelch wrote:
Zom wrote:

No, I had that problem before, but when I reinstalled I followed the wiki for the Xmodmap things (If you need the date it was probably a couple of weeks ago). Works fine with kdemod4. I use Kosd though, but that shouldn't really make a difference.

is your xmodmap the same as on the wiki? seems to be some configure problem, can't figure out what conf is wrong though.. hhhhm

I'm not sure if it's been changed.

keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute
keycode 174 = XF86AudioLowerVolume
keycode 176 = XF86AudioRaiseVolume
keycode 223 = XF86Standby
keycode 239 = XF86KbdBrightnessDown
keycode 123 = XF86KbdBrightnessUp
keycode 210 = XF86Display

That's what I'm using, works with KDEmod.

MarCustomized wrote:

What kind of messenger bags are you guys using?  I want something small that doesn't look like a purse.  A mini backpack I could bike with would be perfect.

I'm just using a sleeve. So, uh, I just put it in that and use any bag I feel like.

Also, Tera, awesome news! Will download and try as soon as I can.

#981 2009-03-12 16:37:28

MarCustomized

Anyone using the testing repo?  If so, is suspend working for you?

#982 2009-03-12 16:53:13

kaola_linux

Btw Zom, does adding extra ram improve kde performance or responsiveness? Exclude the installation of packages or updating experience, since it will definitely be the same I guess. I have 1gb on my AA1 atm...Planning to make it 1.5gb soon..:) I'm also using kde 4.2 from arch repos..I haven't tried kdemod on my reinstall since I had problems before when changing themes. Now I can change themes flawlessly on kde. tongue I'm using ext4 already on my root...So far, so good. big_smile

Last edited by kaola_linux (2009-03-12 16:56:12)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3
Registered Linux User # 481212 / Machine Registration # 390468
"In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"

#983 2009-03-12 17:15:11

godzilla

Tera,

Thank you for this great kernel!  The only problem I have is that my root is ext4, and this kernel is built with ext4 as a module.  Can you include ext4 in the next build of the kernel?   I am going to get the 2.6.29 kernel source and try to rebuild it based on your configuration, but im not sure I remember how to do that!!  smile

Thanks

#984 2009-03-12 17:33:21

kaola_linux

godzilla wrote:

Tera,

Thank you for this great kernel!  The only problem I have is that my root is ext4, and this kernel is built with ext4 as a module.  Can you include ext4 in the next build of the kernel?   I am going to get the 2.6.29 kernel source and try to rebuild it based on your configuration, but im not sure I remember how to do that!!  smile

Thanks

Does the wifi led works ? I am also using ext4 on my root atm, I'll be waiting for a few more updates before I'll try...:)

Netbook (Acer Aspire One 110 || 160gb SATA HD || 1.5gb ram): archlinux i686 / KDEmod 4.3

#985 2009-03-12 18:57:20

dunc

Tera wrote:

If you don't feel like running a development kernel, you can always modify your oneice's, or the stock kernel's PKGBUILD to include the patches.

No, a dev kernel's fine (I run zen-git here on my main machine) but like godzilla, my / partition is ext4, so I'll either have to rebuild or try to figure out how mkinitcpio presets work and build an initial ramdisk. Which is probably worth learning anyway.

#986 2009-03-12 21:27:26

Zom

godzilla wrote:

Tera,

Thanks

Same here, I just built a initramfs image with it.

Tera, suspend seemed to work great in openbox, but in KDE, my SDHC-card was restored as mmcblk1 instead of 0, causing corruption. Luckily, I worked it out with fdisk. Is this KDE-related or is it something else?

Anyhow, could you add uvesafb and pciehp as modules for the next release? uvesafb is needed for a 1024x600 framebuffer and pciehp for sd-card hotplugging.

Next post will be instructions in making an initramfs image for this kernel.

#987 2009-03-12 21:32:40

Zom

Create /etc/mkinitcpio-one-dev.conf

MODULES=""
BINARIES=""
FILES=""
HOOKS="base udev 915resolution v86d autodetect filesystems splashy"

915resolution and v86d doesn't work now since uvesafb isn't a module, and splashy isn't needed if you don't want a splash.

Create /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26-one-dev.preset

ALL_kver='2.6.29-one-dev'

PRESETS=('default')

default_config="/etc/mkinitcpio-one-dev.conf"
default_image="/boot/kernel-one-dev.img"

Then just run mkinitcpio -p kernel26-one-dev as root. Add initrd /boot/kernel-one-dev.img to the grub config. This way will still let you use kernel26 from core, since the old hooks and kernel26.preset are untouched.

#988 2009-03-12 21:49:43

Zom

Oh, and I forgot to mention: When I first tried the kernel, I tried suspending from KDEmods shutdown menu. All I got was a black screen on resume. Then I tried 'sudo pm-suspend' from a terminal in openbox. Seemed to work. Logged out and into KDEmod again, and ran pm-suspend from the terminal, noticed I had "two" memorycards in the device-manager, killed X and tried umounting /home from the console and ran a fsck on it.

#989 2009-03-13 13:33:59

Tera

Zom wrote:
godzilla wrote:

Tera,

Thanks

Same here, I just built a initramfs image with it.

Tera, suspend seemed to work great in openbox, but in KDE, my SDHC-card was restored as mmcblk1 instead of 0, causing corruption. Luckily, I worked it out with fdisk. Is this KDE-related or is it something else?

Anyhow, could you add uvesafb and pciehp as modules for the next release? uvesafb is needed for a 1024x600 framebuffer and pciehp for sd-card hotplugging.

Next post will be instructions in making an initramfs image for this kernel.

First, sorry for the ext4 issues. I wasn't aware of anyone actually running ext4 as their rootfs.

RC8 was released few hours ago so you can expect a new release "shortly" after I get all your modification requests done, and Q/A'ed on my Aspire.
Regarding the SDHC card issue, I don't have a clue neutral It does sound like a kernel quirk to me. I can do some research on it if there's any un-official patches around to fix it. What I am planning to include on the next update as well are ext4 data corruption patches which are explained at https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ … omments/45

#990 2009-03-13 18:12:30

Zom

Cool, I'm looking forward to testing it. smile

I'll probably just backup my /home again and then reformat the card to ext4, so if it's ext3 related we'll know.

#991 2009-03-13 18:14:49

godzilla

Well I didnt read the forum quick enough, and I just went about it the hard way... smile

I downoladed the sources and patches you posted, and rebuilt the kernel myself....no initramfs image (I guess that would be easier!!).  I am very old school when it comes to the linux kernel and initramfs is something I just havent learned much about.

I am only working on a few issues right now but overall this kernel is great!  I will keep everyone posted if I find anything else interesting.

#992 2009-03-13 21:45:51

Zom

Hm, tested again today. Still the same issue being that the memorycard is recognized as mmcblk1 instead of 0, causing corruption, this time using powerdevil to suspend. How odd.

Perhaps it could be related to the issue that the sdhc card sometimes isn't recognized at boot, meaning I have to reinsert it a couple of times.

It works with the stock kernel though, but then I don't have MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME, so I can't test suspend with that one.

#993 2009-03-14 09:35:28

Tera

godzilla wrote:

I am only working on a few issues right now but overall this kernel is great!  I will keep everyone posted if I find anything else interesting.

Mind sharing what the issues are? I will be glad to fix any issues my kernel has, as long as it's possible by a non-kernel developer or there at least are patches around smile

Zom wrote:

Hm, tested again today. Still the same issue being that the memorycard is recognized as mmcblk1 instead of 0, causing corruption, this time using powerdevil to suspend. How odd.

Perhaps it could be related to the issue that the sdhc card sometimes isn't recognized at boot, meaning I have to reinsert it a couple of times.

It works with the stock kernel though, but then I don't have MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME, so I can't test suspend with that one.

My SD card is reconized on every boot just fine. I've had such an issue only once with my Aspire, and it was when the SD card had physically ejected from the machine. Do you run the latest BIOS?

I use suspend on daily basis on my laptop and it works fine, everytime. I am using Openbox though so I cannot verify if this a KDE+kernel related issue. I also "launch" the suspend with acpid and an acpi event "lid close" if that matters for someone.

For me kernel26-one-dev is finally starting to work perfectly so if there are any remaining issues with someone else, I need your help guys to fix them.

EDIT: Expect kernel26-one-dev 2.6.29rc8 to be out this evening/night unless anything too unexpected happens. big_smile

Last edited by Tera (2009-03-14 09:37:20)

#994 2009-03-14 13:28:20

Zom

Yeah, 3309. I'm also using sdhci_debug_quirks=1 in my kernel line in grub. Supposed to fix that issue. I'll try to remove it when the new version rolls out.

But yeah, if suspend works, then this kernel will be the one I'm sticking with. It almost has to me something at my end, I'm sure, and I really doubt KDE would have anything to do with the failed suspend, since they're using HAL as well.

Who knows? Do me a favour though and paste some of your configs when you roll out the new kernel. wink

#995 2009-03-14 14:58:51

kaola_linux

Hey guyz, I have modded my AA1 today...I've changed the crappy ssd to a 160gb Seagate 5400rpm sata 2.5" drive...Now, it's snappier and more responsive...I will definitely love installing big big packages on arch!!!:lol: I will be reinstalling arch with multiple partitions...:) I just love my AA1 much more! Thanks to this mod http://www.theacerguy.com/2009/01/aspir … 0-25-sata/...:D

#996 2009-03-14 19:34:12

dunc

Thanks for the crash-course in mkinitcpio, Zom. It looks easier than I expected. But if Tera includes ext4 in the next release it looks like I might not need it. Isn't the Arch community great? big_smile

#997 2009-03-14 21:14:01

Tera

Zom wrote:

Yeah, 3309. I'm also using sdhci_debug_quirks=1 in my kernel line in grub. Supposed to fix that issue. I'll try to remove it when the new version rolls out.

But yeah, if suspend works, then this kernel will be the one I'm sticking with. It almost has to me something at my end, I'm sure, and I really doubt KDE would have anything to do with the failed suspend, since they're using HAL as well.

Who knows? Do me a favour though and paste some of your configs when you roll out the new kernel. wink

I'm not using _any_ special boot optiosn in Grub. Just going with the defaults and the SDHC + suspend works lovely together.

Regarding the configs.. I can gather some and tar them up on my Arch dump dir. smile

#998 2009-03-15 13:59:33

Zom

Okay, cool.

I've reformatted the card as ext4, I'll try removing sdhci_debug_quirks.

I'll have a look at your configs later too. smile

#999 2009-03-15 22:48:45

Tera

Okey, I managed to push out the new release, based on rc8.

Changes are documented in http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=22794

#1000 2009-03-16 02:48:35

timdor

@Tera

Thanks for putting out this kernel.  It works great on my Aspire One.  Partitions are ext2 for root, ext4 for home on the internal SSD and XFS on my SD.  Suspend / resume works perfectly.

2 minor issues, right hand card reader doesn't work, (I never use it anyway.) and I could not get acerhdf to work so am using acerfand.

Board footer