You are not logged in.

#26 2010-03-31 02:23:15

Jub
Website

Re: Couldn't load XKB keymap [SOLVED]

I had this very same problem a while ago, for anyone who has it, make sure your /dev/sda3  (or whatever you have mounted on / ) isn't nearly full. To compile the keymap there must be space to write, if there is no space it can't.

pacman -Sc should clear up enough to fix it.

I never know what to make my signature...

#27 2010-05-27 14:14:03

sheekeebut

Jub wrote:

I had this very same problem a while ago, for anyone who has it, make sure your /dev/sda3  (or whatever you have mounted on / ) isn't nearly full. To compile the keymap there must be space to write, if there is no space it can't.

pacman -Sc should clear up enough to fix it.

Thx Jub, that's just the answer I needed. I've only got a 30GB in here and the laptop's just a cheap (Celeron M  1.4) toy,  so I might have to shrink my Ubuntu volume.

Good luck to the rest of you.

#28 2011-03-11 17:40:35

Schoktra

Okay, I happen to be undergoing this exact issue after an update last night, but I'd assum with almost 2Gb free on / that I should have plenty of space to compile the keymap. What other solutions can there be to solving this issue?

[ SOLVED ]

For anyone who's recent updates may have caused similar issues, updating last night somehow removed my /usr/bin/xkbcomp file, reinstalling xorg-xkbcomp fixed this issue.

Last edited by Schoktra (2011-03-11 23:39:18)

#29 2011-03-29 04:15:01

partha

Schoktra wrote:

For anyone who's recent updates may have caused similar issues, updating last night somehow removed my /usr/bin/xkbcomp file, reinstalling xorg-xkbcomp fixed this issue.

Thanks. This solved my problem.

#30 2011-08-13 09:24:21

starfry

Jub wrote:

make sure your /dev/sda3  (or whatever you have mounted on / ) isn't nearly full.

Well said. I've just had this issue. What was weird for me was that I could start X as root but not as a regular user. That's because root can write to a disk that is advertised as 100% when it isn't really (there's some capacity reserved for root to be able to get out of trouble).

I wish the logs could explain more of what is going on. If the log could say "Can't write to / (no space)" or something like that it would save us mere mortals from an hour of fishing for errors...

Anyway that you jub, you just made my day smile

#31 2011-10-20 00:42:13

sigflup

I'm on an openbsd machine and had the same problem coming out of a full-backup. For me it turned out that /tmp permissions wasn't set to 777, changing that was the solution. I pretty much had the exact same failure log in Xorg.log. It For me xkbcomp could not write it's output server-0.xkm, which is in /tmp.

I suggest getting xkbcomp to work. Check permission PATH and everything you can. xkbcomp is pretty self-contained and usually isn't symlinked to- but it could be. check symlinks as well.

Good luck and when you find solutions please post. The more we know about Xorg's startup process the better.

#32 2011-12-18 17:47:29

ninjaprawn

Schoktra wrote:

Okay, I happen to be undergoing this exact issue after an update last night, but I'd assum with almost 2Gb free on / that I should have plenty of space to compile the keymap. What other solutions can there be to solving this issue?

[ SOLVED ]

thanks, solved my problem as well!! smile

2007 - Started using Arch Linux as my only/main OS
- Samsung Series 3, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz - 8Gb DDR3 ram - 700Gb HDD
On board intel Graphics & Sound

Board footer