You are not logged in.

#51 2008-11-17 23:29:44

hbekel

Re: bashrun -- app launcher using xterm and bash

Just take a look at .config/bashrun/rc. aliases should work, as well as anything else that you'd usually do in your .bashrc.

#52 2008-11-18 10:22:22

Shapeshifter

I use a dedicated ~/.bash-aliases.rc which I source in both ~/.bashrc and ~/config/bashrun/rc

hbekel: great work by the way smile

Last edited by Shapeshifter (2008-11-18 10:22:41)

#53 2008-11-30 12:42:53

Shapeshifter

hbekel, congrats on making it into community! wink

But 0.8 is broken. The prompt is not ">" anymore but "bash-3.2$" and it doesn't disappear when pressing enter. I also don't see why that should even happen as the rc doesn't have any PROMPT_COMMAND anymore... I don't see how this should work. The toggle function never gets called. Others confirmed this on #archlinux

#54 2008-11-30 12:44:12

Stalafin

Confirmed!

#55 2008-11-30 13:02:39

hbekel

The Arch package is broken, sorry for that. For a quick fix it should be sufficient to edit /usr/bin/bashrun and change the line PREFIX=/usr/local to PREFIX=/usr.
A new package will be up soon.

#56 2008-11-30 13:35:12

hbekel

@Shapeshiter: There still is a PROMPT_COMMAND, but I have separated the user config file from the rest of the bash setup code. All the gory details are now sourced from $PREFIX/share/bashrun/bashrc, which sources the user's config in turn. The broken package just didn't find this file...

#57 2008-11-30 17:23:04

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

For me the prompt is still '>' (I did move the configs and data to the XDG dirs myself because the package didn't do it correctly) but indeed, it doesn't disappear after launching commands.

Last edited by Dieter@be (2008-11-30 17:23:38)

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#58 2008-11-30 19:36:21

hbekel

It seems we also got the bashrun-0.8-2 package wrong (again), it's missing an important file. There should be a corrected package bashrun-0.8-3 in the repos soon.

Apologies to those who have been bitten by these bugs.

Please note: if you are upgrading from a version prior to 0.7 you will need to move your ~/.config/bashrun/rc file aside to allow a new one to be created by bashrun. Future upgrades will no longer require this any more.

#59 2008-12-19 17:57:27

Shapeshifter

EDIT:
Actually, it doesn't only happen with exit, but with ANY command you run in bashrun. every rerun of bashrun creates another defunct process which disappears after a few minutes.
---

hbekel: there's an odd bug when typing "exit" in bashrun. Whenever I do that, the process goes "<defunct>" in ps. Easy to reproduce:
1. run bashrun
2. run "exit" in bashrun
3. run ps -A|grep bashrun in another terminal
4. You'll get something like this (when doing it three times)
7589 ?        00:00:00 bashrun <defunct>
7619 ?        00:00:00 bashrun <defunct>
7651 ?        00:00:00 bashrun <defunct>

For some reason the defunct processes go away after a few minutes. But I guess this isn't supposed to happen. Maybe you need to include an alias for exit to run pkill bashrun instead of exit or something like that. Good luck ^^

Last edited by Shapeshifter (2008-12-19 18:08:58)

#60 2008-12-19 21:40:55

hbekel

I've just released bashrun version 0.9 with lots of new features and improvements under the hood.

@Shapeshifter: I can't reproduce this error with bashrun 0.8 or 0.9 at all.
If you just type exit and hit enter, the command "exit &" is executed, spawning a subshell that exits immediately. To run exit in the bashrun shell itself you'll have to type exit and run it with M-w (bound to accept-line)
Version 0.9 uses a slightly different approach to launching commands in the background. Please check if the problem persists with this version.

#61 2009-01-20 01:56:18

cerbie

bashrun starts up 2 instances on the first invocation, requiring 'killall xterm' to get rid of.
It takes over a second, typically, to show up--there is significant HDD activity upon each invocation, like it is running sync a few times before trying to create the prompt.

The version in the OP has no such problems.

"If the data structure can't be explained on a beer coaster, it's too complex." - Felix von Leitner

#62 2009-01-20 02:23:07

hbekel

cerbie: In version 0.9, please change line 368 in /usr/bin/bashrun:

from

(sleep 0.2; bashrun show) &

to

(sleep 0.2; get_window_id; map_window) &

or simply remove it. This will prevent multiple instances for now.

(This line ensures that the terminal window gets focus after it has been realized, which (afaik) is only needed for certain openbox settings. It stupidly assumes that the window has been realized after 0.2 s, so a second terminal is started if the first one takes longer than 0.2s to appear. Which is quite foolish, I admit. I'll use a more reliable method in the next version.)

Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited by hbekel (2009-01-20 02:26:38)

#63 2009-03-06 23:19:11

hbekel

I have just released bashrun 0.10, which fixes the above bug. It should be available from the community repository soon.

This release also adds experimental support for vi-editing-mode. To activate vi-mode, simply add

set -o vi

to your ~/.config/bashrun/rc file. Press F1 from within bashrun to view the vi-mode bindings. Please see /usr/share/bashrun/bashrc for comments about my aproach. I'm not a vi user myself, so I'm not sure wether it is practical. So don't hesitate to comment, please.

It should be available from the community repository soon.

#64 2009-03-07 03:28:44

Square

Glad to see the bug worked out! I missed bashrun.

This new vi mode sounds... odd enough. I shall check it out.

#65 2009-03-12 09:12:59

Shapeshifter

btw, nothing special but I just found out about this: pressing ctrl-r in bash enables history search (you type in stuff and it will immediately enter the best match so pressing enter will execute it).

Didn't know about that feature, it's pretty awesome with bashrun especially for longer commands that you use frequently. E.g. I usually run pidgin & firefox & thunderbird right after booting. So now ctrl-r pi <enter> will run exactly that.

Here's a cheat sheet with all the common bash emacs style commands!

Last edited by Shapeshifter (2009-03-12 09:13:49)

#66 2009-03-12 09:41:44

hbekel

Shapeshifter wrote:

btw, nothing special but I just found out about this: pressing ctrl-r in bash enables history search (you type in stuff and it will immediately enter the best match so pressing enter will execute it).

Didn't know about that feature, it's pretty awesome with bashrun especially for longer commands that you use frequently. E.g. I usually run pidgin & firefox & thunderbird right after booting. So now ctrl-r pi <enter> will run exactly that.

Trying to press ctrl+r and friends out of habit in all the other application launchers I've tried to use was the reason i wanted something like bashrun in the first place smile

btw, you can also use ctrl+j or ctrl+m in readline to avoid having to reach out for <enter>. Another nice one is ctrl-alt+. (dot)  which inserts the last argument of the last command (e,g, after 'less foo.pacnew' you can go rm ctrl+alt+-. ctrl+j to delete it. Also try holding alt and type a number, then press any other key to repeat it n times. Or, if you have typed a really long commandline and then realize you don't want to run it right now, press alt+# to comment it, thus saving it in the history buffer.

Afaik gmrun is the only launcher that does at least ctrl+r, but i figured that to make it really work and feel like bash i would have had to reimplement/port readline to it, so I took the path of least resistance.

I also patched my readline not to show the (reverse-i-search) notification to save space for bashrun.

Last edited by hbekel (2009-03-12 11:49:47)

#67 2009-03-16 21:18:13

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

anyone running bashrun in wmii? can you share your config?

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#68 2010-03-22 17:19:41

akuschki

Hiya,
after playing with my config file for a while today bashrun does not close any more after executing a command, not even when I type "exit". Deleting config file and reinstalling does not solve the issue. Can somebody point me to how I messed this up?

Cheers

#69 2010-03-22 17:33:23

toad
Website

fantastic app! love it, couldn't be simpler...

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#70 2010-03-22 22:06:17

hbekel

akuschki wrote:

Hiya,
after playing with my config file for a while today bashrun does not close any more after executing a command, not even when I type "exit". Deleting config file and reinstalling does not solve the issue. Can somebody point me to how I messed this up?

Cheers

Probably not your fault, but a bug in the latest release of xdotool. Please see

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92876

Note that the last two releases of xdotool both break bashrun, but each time in it's own way. To summarize the above thread:

- xdotool 1.20100302.2713-1 makes bashrun --toggle fail

- xdotool 1.20100318.2737-1 prevents bashrun from closing (as described in the above quote) and bashrun --toggle will just keep launching instances. Maybe even more things are broken.

Both underlying issues with xdotool are reported and being worked on by the xdotool devs. See:

http://code.google.com/p/semicomplete/i … tail?id=22
http://code.google.com/p/semicomplete/i … tail?id=25

The only fix for now is to downgrade to xdotool 1.20100227.2679

Sorry...

#71 2010-04-01 19:36:33

yvonney

Hi, bit of a silly one perhaps here.
I use zsh as shell. Obviously bashrun is BASHrun.
Should I stop looking around to see if I can use bashrun with zsh as my shell?

bashrun has been a good experience for me and very useful.
If I'm not mistaken it will not be able to use my .zshrc or whatever magic bashrun performs with bash, with zsh.
i've had a brief look at all the files installed by bashrun. nice rc I thought!

options appreciated. I'm happily using xmonad and dmenu though would like to be able to launch from urxvtc without it tying up the term instance.

ie. my current understanding and ability is such that starting up a few gui apps via cli requires that I leave the term instance running until I close the gui app.

For certain I'm light on my understanding and there's better ways most likely.
Though, bashrun seemed to be able to start from bashrun cli and then I could quit bashrun and the app would stay running.

Sorry about the long winded.

#72 2010-04-01 21:01:56

hbekel

@yvonney: I don't know zsh at all, so I really can't tell. Bashrun is a hack relying on bash features like debug traps, commandline rewriting, etc...

Maybe you can hack up something more simple for zsh? I can't tell you how, but the following is an example on how to achieve "launching gui apps from terminals" using bash 4.1 features -- maybe you can use similar features of zsh to the same extend? Not sure at all. Bash has the disown builtin to detach background jobs from the shell (so they survive the closing of the shell).

launch () { 
    eval "$READLINE_LINE &";     # run command in background
    disown;                      # immediately detach from shell
    history -s "$READLINE_LINE"; # append command to history
    READLINE_LINE='';            # clear the line
}
bind -x '"\e\C-m": launch'

If you source this in bash you can type 'firefox' and hit Alt-Enter to launch it in the background...

Or take a look at the original bashrun script i posted in this thread. Back then it was pretty simple, it just redefined Enter to a macro that would append ' &' to a commandline first and then "hit enter"...

Maybe a similar approach to these is possible in zsh, I don't know.

#73 2010-04-01 21:18:11

yvonney

all new info for me and very good as I will study disown etc. Thanks for getting me much further with my interest on this !!

Board footer