You are not logged in.

#26 2008-10-14 19:50:00

Stythys
Website

Re: FaunOS Fork

thanks gbatt, really big_smile

and yes, I do plan on trying to revive the faunOS distro, probably under a new name, probably in a month or so. Hopefully I can get some other devs interested, but no one else seems to have stepped up so far =P

[home page] -- [code / configs]

"Once you go Arch, you must remain there for life or else Allan will track you down and break you."
-- Bregol

#27 2008-10-28 09:37:37

gejr

I'd love a usb version of Arch which is just Arch. Where all you begin with is a core install, and you can choose every application yourself. That's something i'd actually use. So, keep the best from FaunOS. Their way of saving changes to the usb stick is nice, and all neccessary stuff to make it function from USB should also be there. So like, keep the core of Faun, but do not go against the Arch way and pull a huge KDE system + lots of software down on me.

That would be my dream :-)

#28 2008-10-28 12:52:31

Heller_Barde

gejr wrote:

I'd love a usb version of Arch which is just Arch
<snip>

actually just pick up some usb stick and install the core packages from your host archlinux. there is even a wiki page how to do that because there are 1 or 2 stepstones but all in all its really easy. and it works like a charm. i did it too. now i have an archlinux everywhere i go. PS: you might need to add rootdelay=5 or so to your grub "kernel" line but else its smooth sailing actually ^^

cheers Barde

#29 2008-10-28 13:31:01

gradgrind

gejr wrote:

I'd love a usb version of Arch which is just Arch. Where all you begin with is a core install, and you can choose every application yourself. That's something i'd actually use. So, keep the best from FaunOS. Their way of saving changes to the usb stick is nice, and all neccessary stuff to make it function from USB should also be there. So like, keep the core of Faun, but do not go against the Arch way and pull a huge KDE system + lots of software down on me.

A key point of faunos was that it was a 'huge KDE system + lots of software' in a convenient, easy to use form. If you want your own, more spartan version, build it yourself - it's not difficult. Have you tried larch?

#30 2008-10-28 14:39:24

ploub

gradgrind wrote:
gejr wrote:

A key point of faunos was that it was a 'huge KDE system + lots of software' in a convenient, easy to use form. If you want your own, more spartan version, build it yourself - it's not difficult. Have you tried larch?

I've been playing with larch on usb - it's fabulous! It's more flexible and seems more dependable than faunos - there I had some problems with saving overlays. I created a user, stuck some more applications on and then with larchin installed on to my eeepc - superb, it makes a great base install. There's nothing to stop you tailoring larch to your own needs either before or after install onto usb. Kudos to gradgrind (and raymano) for some great work wink
BTW basic usb install including xfce / firefox / tbird is squashed into 488M

#31 2008-10-28 15:52:29

lilsirecho
Veteran

Faunos shadow stable has provided an overlay save session system which has no difficulties with saving overlays.
The use of ....faunos_save yes..... when rebooting from CLI is necessary whereas in KDE logout the save session option is provided in a window.  The original save session procedure was limited to nine saves and then remove saved overlays.  The original 1GB usb was marginal so 2GB with re-partitioning is optimal.

In all faunos boot-ups, the activity is run in ram.  Some of the faunos system utilizes larch scripts to advantage.

Original concept of Faunos was to make it bootable on most machines with full capability from a USB stick...it has done that in good measure.  There is no need to remove packages except to improve one's image of a teeny-tiny system that does all...puppy linux like....me tooism!

I have added firefox3..latest opera, and latest VLC with no problems.  I still maintain KDE 3.5 in Faunos.

Users are free to replace KDE  with whatever...it is bloat in a hdd but no sweat while installed to ram in faunos.

If one first tries the system out(at a no-impact on existing system) and finds room for improvement, makes the improvement, and then reports the results...that is Linux and archlinux at its best!

Most comments on alternate systems do not include experience with them I note.

Faunos is the easiest OS to download and install of any system in Linux.  It is ready to fly in almost every machine even those needing a CD to enable boot from USB.

Try it before knocking...knock on the door and enter in via USB!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#32 2008-10-28 19:24:31

ghostHack

Stythys wrote:

thanks gbatt, really big_smile

and yes, I do plan on trying to revive the faunOS distro, probably under a new name, probably in a month or so. Hopefully I can get some other devs interested, but no one else seems to have stepped up so far =P

@Stythys, I would be interested in helping you with this.

#33 2008-10-29 10:21:28

gejr

Larch sounds awesome. Can't believe I've been this ignorant. I'll make it my next project to get Arch installed on a 4gb usb stick:-)

Board footer