You are not logged in.

#76 2009-04-05 23:19:58

FrozenFox
Website

Re: Care to play with grub2-graphical?

Ahh, I vaguely remember running into that problem some time ago. What groups from the OP are you in?

I think it had something to do with grub-mkdevicemap and trying another format by manually using grub-setup '(hd0)' or whatnot. What does

On looking for posts to verify this, I ran across

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64545

perhaps it could help o.O

Also, check that the file in question actually DOES exist where it seems to be looking for it.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-05 23:25:37)

#77 2009-04-06 00:36:08

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Ahh, I vaguely remember running into that problem some time ago. What groups from the OP are you in?

What is OP?

FrozenFox wrote:

I think it had something to do with grub-mkdevicemap and trying another format by manually using grub-setup '(hd0)' or whatnot. What does

What does what?

FrozenFox wrote:

On looking for posts to verify this, I ran across

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=64545

perhaps it could help o.O

No solutions in there, unfortunately.

FrozenFox wrote:

Also, check that the file in question actually DOES exist where it seems to be looking for it.

The file exists.

Would it be too much trouble to put /boot in he system partition?

Last edited by Yaro (2009-04-06 00:48:34)

#78 2009-04-06 02:06:09

FrozenFox
Website

Yaro wrote:

What is OP?

Original Post or Original Poster, depending on the context

Yaro wrote:

What does what?

Oh, sorry about that. I put so much of my brain into writing that stuff all up coherently and making sure I didn't forget anything, I didn't even finish my sentence when I tried to reply to your question xD I meant to ask what running grub-mkdevicemap showed. On second thought though, I'm rather glad I didn't finish my sentence. Don't do grub-mkdevicemap yet, unless you're really curious. I recall using it, but remember it reversing the "hd" list or something of that nature.

Yaro wrote:

Unfortunate sad

Yaro wrote:

The file exists.

Hmm. Care to show me /etc/fstab really quick, and what /sbin/grub-install /dev/sdX command you used? I wonder if perhaps it is backwards, in which case the mkdevicemap deal would probably help. Hehe. My drive is sdb, yet I recall doing a /dev/grub-install '(hd0)' at one point or something of the sort, instead of using the device name. My apologies, I fixed that stuff a long time ago, so I don't remember too clearly. Note that I'm on a separate / and /boot, so it should work indeed. However, I did have less trouble getting it working when they were combined. It is possible I left out a step in my new tutorial, but I do not think that is the case.

Yaro wrote:

It's a little bit tedious to separate/join them on an installed system, but not hard if you know how or have a list. I did the opposite of this in post #63. Here's what I think you'd need to do to join / and /boot, then get back up n working. It's pretty long, but really it would only take a couple minutes if you had this list in front of you.

1) pacman -Sw kernel26 kernel26-firmware if not in your cache [/var/cache/pacman/pkg]
2) If needed, resize / via a livecd with gparted or however you like
3) Copy your two compiled grub2-gfxmenu binary .pkg.tar.gz's to /var/cache/pacman/pkg
4) Boot into a livecd, preferably Arch so device names aren't potentially reversed
5) mkdir /mnt/root
6) mount /dev/sdb7 /mnt/root
    * Switch sdb7 with your root partition obviously
    * Might need to specify -t file_system_here
7) mount -t proc none /mnt/root/proc
8) mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
9) mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/root/sysfs
    * I'm not sure on this one.
10) chroot /mnt/root
    * May need to add /bin/bash to the end.
    * After this, if you wanted to do the opposite of what you're doing, you'd mount /dev/sdX /boot
11) pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26*
    * Assuming you only have the two kernel26* packages in there. Install individually if not so.
    * Keep a sharp eye out for pesky errors here especially
12) pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/grub2-gfxmenu*
    * Again, assuming you don't have anything else in there beginning with grub2-gfxmenu tongue like the bzr version.
13) grub-install /dev/sdb (replacing sdb with the drive containing / )
14) nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg and fix the grub.cfg to point to the correct partitions
15) nano /etc/fstab to correct the changed partition structure for /boot
16) double check your work, make sure neither of us missed anything obvious smile

Should be good to go then on reboot I think. If the normal image won't boot, load the fallback and do mkinitcpio -p kernel26. Should work then.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-17 23:31:51)

#79 2009-04-06 02:37:18

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

What is OP?

Original Post or Original Poster, depending on the context

Okay, in that case, I am in groups: Sort-of A: I don't actually have both operating systems on one hard drive. I have Arch on my big 500 GiB, and Windows XP on my tiny 30 GiB. Group B, C, D, and I suppose since I'm asking about this problem: Z.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

What does what?

Oh, sorry about that. I put so much of my brain into writing that stuff all up coherently and making sure I didn't forget anything, I didn't even finish my sentence when I tried to reply to your question xD I meant to ask what running grub-mkdevicemap showed. On second thought though, I'm rather glad I didn't finish my sentence. Don't do grub-mkdevicemap yet, unless you're really curious. I recall using it, but remember it reversing the "hd" list or something of that nature.

S'alright. Happens to everybody at some point. Okay. It gave no output initially, so I tired the verbose argument and... got no output still. I take it to mean that it worked like it was meant to, in the classic UNIX style.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

Unfortunate sad

Very unfortunate.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

The file exists.

Hmm. Care to show me /etc/fstab really quick, and what /sbin/grub-install /dev/sdX command you used? I wonder if perhaps it is backwards, in which case the mkdevicemap deal would probably help. Hehe. My drive is sdb, yet I recall doing a /dev/grub-install '(hd0)' at one point or something of the sort, instead of using the device name. My apologies, I fixed that stuff a long time ago, so I don't remember too clearly. Note that I'm on a separate / and /boot, so it should work indeed. However, I did have less trouble getting it working when they were combined. It is possible I left out a step in my new tutorial, but I do not think that is the case.

My fstab, note I've made changes to it over time, but you should still get the gist:

# 
# /etc/fstab: static file system information
#
# <file system>        <dir>         <type>    <options>          <dump> <pass>
none                   /dev/pts      devpts    defaults            0      0
none                   /dev/shm      tmpfs     defaults            0      0

#/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/dvd               /media/dvd  auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
#/dev/fd0               /media/fl   auto    user,noauto             0      0

UUID=12756aaf-21f6-431d-b531-898ef7b1b482 / reiserfs defaults 0 1
UUID=67ec7121-3cb9-42b6-b666-d5adc8666683 /boot ext2 defaults 0 1
UUID=9acc974b-f01b-49b5-956f-86d96e9e9f22 swap swap defaults 0 0
# UUID=f7d45695-37c4-4c12-a6a1-bff71de501b3 /home reiserfs defaults 0 1
# /dev/sdb5 /home ext3 nodev 0 1
# /dev/sdb5 /home ext3 defaults 0 1
UUID=bd6fb174-1197-436a-b499-d3658ba1bc51 /home ext3 defaults 0 1
UUID=B8AC8005AC7FBD06 /mnt/windows ntfs-3g users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0113,dmask=0002 0 0
UUID=38DD3CE47A961EC9 /mnt/wingames ntfs-3g users,noauto,uid=1000,gid=100,fmask=0113,dmask=0002 0 0

The fstab might not be helpful if what your thinking is what I think you are thinking. In which case, feel free to ask for my fdisk -l output.

As for my command:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

Note that /boot is /dev/sda1 usually. The reason why I went all UUID in my fstab is that sometimes Linux likes to flipflop drive assignments between sda and sdb for no apparent reason.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

It's a little bit tedious to separate/join them on an installed system, but not hard if you know how or have a list. I did the opposite of this in post #63. Here's what I think you'd need to do to join / and /boot, then get back up n working. It's pretty long, but really it would only take a couple minutes if you had this list in front of you.

1) pacman -Sw kernel26 kernel26-firmware if not in your cache [/var/cache/pacman/pkg]
2) If needed, resize / via a livecd with gparted or however you like
3) Copy your two compiled grub2-gfxmenu binary .pkg.tar.gz's to /var/cache/pacman/pkg
4) Boot into a livecd, preferably Arch so device names aren't potentially reversed
5) mkdir /mnt/root
6) mount /dev/sdb7 /mnt/root
    * Switch sdb7 with your root partition obviously
    * Might need to specify -t file_system_here
7) mount -t proc none /mnt/root/proc
8) mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
9) mount -t sysfs none /mnt/root/sysfs
   * I'm not sure on this one. I didn't use this at all when I did all this stuff,
      and it only sort of worked. I had to run the fallback image when I booted into
      my system, and then ran mkinitcpio -p kernel26. Then normal worked fine. I
      don't think it could hurt to try it, as I think it is "needed".
10) chroot /mnt/root
    * May need to add /bin/bash to the end.
    * After this, if you wanted to do the opposite of what you're doing, you'd mount /dev/sdX /boot
11) pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/kernel26*
    * Assuming you only have the two kernel26* packages in there. Install individually if not so.
    * Keep a sharp eye out for pesky errors here especially
12) pacman -U /var/cache/pacman/pkg/grub2-gfxmenu*
    * Again, assuming you don't have anything else in there beginning with grub2-gfxmenu tongue like the bzr version.
13) grub-install /dev/sdb (replacing sdb with the drive containing / )
14) nano /boot/grub/grub.cfg and fix the grub.cfg to point to the correct partitions
15) nano /etc/fstab to correct the changed partition structure for /boot
16) double check your work, make sure neither of us missed anything obvious smile

Should be good to go then on reboot I think. If the normal image won't boot, load the fallback and do mkinitcpio -p kernel26. Should work then.

I am going to try that, as I have read this can be a problem with separate /boot and / partitions.

#80 2009-04-06 03:03:15

FrozenFox
Website

Yaro wrote:

S'alright. Happens to everybody at some point. Okay. It gave no output initially, so I tired the verbose argument and... got no output still. I take it to mean that it worked like it was meant to, in the classic UNIX style.

Hmm, I think it was supposed to make /boot/grub/device.map, which would list hard disks and their associated device names. Does that exist? If so, I hope it's not empty, which without output, it probably is. I'd be slightly confused then. However, confusion there is to be expected from me smile.

Yaro wrote:

The fstab might not be helpful if what your thinking is what I think you are thinking. In which case, feel free to ask for my fdisk -l output.

You are most likely correct. Fdisk -l output then please? smile

Yaro wrote:

Note that /boot is /dev/sda1 usually. The reason why I went all UUID in my fstab is that sometimes Linux likes to flipflop drive assignments between sda and sdb for no apparent reason.

Yeah. Every time I change distros, the device ordering is reversed on me too, hehe. That's why I tend to do all of my restoration stuff on the arch cd when at all possible, to keep from doing something backwards.

Yaro wrote:

I am going to try that, as I have read this can be a problem with separate /boot and / partitions.

Allright. If you haven't already started though, please drop your fdisk -l off and the contents of device.map if it exists. I don't think I would be able to figure much out from it, but it doesn't hurt to look smile.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-06 03:03:47)

#81 2009-04-06 03:23:18

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

Hmm, I think it was supposed to make /boot/grub/device.map, which would list hard disks and their associated device names. Does that exist? If so, I hope it's not empty, which without output, it probably is. I'd be slightly confused then. However, confusion there is to be expected from me smile.

It's there and populated, thank the Programmer. Would be a serious problem for me if it wasn't.

(hd0)    /dev/sda
(hd1)    /dev/sdb
(hd2)    /dev/sdc
(hd3)    /dev/sdh

sdc and sdh are, I believe, my GoGear and my USB stick.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

You are most likely correct. Fdisk -l output then please? smile

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00089c95

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1           5       40162   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            3009       60801   464222272+   5  Extended
/dev/sda3             398        3008    20972857+  83  Linux
/dev/sda4               6         397     3148740   82  Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda5            3009       46442   348883573+  83  Linux
/dev/sda6           47748       60801   104856223+   7  HPFS/NTFS

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 30.7 GB, 30734499328 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 3736 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x000c28f9

/dev/sdb1   *           1        3735    30001356    7  HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdc: 8017 MB, 8017936384 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 974 cylinders
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdc1   *           1         974     7823623+   b  W95 FAT32
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Disk /dev/sdh: 2021 MB, 2021130240 bytes
64 heads, 60 sectors/track, 257 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3840 * 2048 = 7864320 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdh1   *           1         257     1973640    b  W95 FAT32
Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):
     phys=(0, 0, 60) logical=(0, 1, 1)

Sorry for the large amount of output. sda1 is /boot and sda3 is /.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

Yeah. Every time I change distros, the device ordering is reversed on me too, hehe. That's why I tend to do all of my restoration stuff on the arch cd when at all possible, to keep from doing something backwards.

I use a USB, that way I won't have to keep making CDs when a new version of something comes into being.

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

Allright. If you haven't already started though, please drop your fdisk -l off and the contents of device.map if it exists. I don't think I would be able to figure much out from it, but it doesn't hurt to look smile.

*Points to above output.*

#82 2009-04-06 03:39:50

FrozenFox
Website

Hmm, I see. As expected, the output didn't help much, but thanks anyway.

One of these (or maybe both, but I don't think so) will nag that it can't do that:

First try changing from the device node to the hard drive form with grub install via..
/sbin/grub-install '(hd0)'

If it still isn't working as I expect to be the case, try..
/sbin/grub-setup '(hd0)'

I'm hoping the device map was just pointing to the wrong place before (or non-existent so pointing who knows where), and it was looking for the grub image on, say, your sdb.

If that fails, I'm out of ideas.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-06 03:43:18)

#83 2009-04-06 03:42:13

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Hmm, I see. As expected, the output didn't help much, but thanks anyway.

Please try this though.. first try changing from the device node to the hard drive form with grub install via..
/sbin/grub-install '(hd0)'

If it still isn't working as I expect to be the case, try..
/sbin/grub-setup '(hd0)'

I'm hoping the device map was just pointing to the wrong place before (or non-existent so pointing who knows where), and it was looking for the grub image on, say, your sdb.

yaro ~/abs/local/grub2-gfxmenu  $  sudo /sbin/grub-install '(hd0)'
Password:
grub-setup: error: Cannot read `/boot/grub/core.img' correctly
yaro ~/abs/local/grub2-gfxmenu  $  sudo /sbin/grub-setup '(hd0)'
yaro ~/abs/local/grub2-gfxmenu  $

#84 2009-04-06 03:45:26

FrozenFox
Website

Yaro wrote:

Password:

Damn. I'm fresh out of ideas, perhaps try going ahead and merging /boot and /, and you might have better luck (I hope!). Apologies for the troubles in figuring this out sad

It's generally gone pretty smoothly for me.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-06 03:47:50)

#85 2009-04-06 03:54:34

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

Password:

Damn. I'm fresh out of ideas, perhaps try going ahead and merging /boot and /, and you might have better luck (I hope!). Apologies for the troubles in figuring this out sad

It's generally gone pretty smoothly for me.

Thanks for your help, anyways. wink If I come up for a solution. I'll let you know what it is. Might be useful for your HOWTO, there.

#86 2009-04-06 04:01:49

FrozenFox
Website

Yaro wrote:

Thanks for your help, anyways. wink If I come up for a solution. I'll let you know what it is. Might be useful for your HOWTO, there.

Yw & ty smile

#87 2009-04-06 04:56:34

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:
Yaro wrote:

Yw & ty smile

Sadly, this didn't work out well, either. Got a flickering nightmare. I choose my option and I get endless "Press any key to continue..." So I reverted back to how everything was and reinstalled grub-gfx.

#88 2009-04-06 15:21:52

FrozenFox
Website

Ah, I should've remembered that one to add to troubleshooting. If it sits at 'press any key to continue', it pretty much certainly means the menuentry was wrong for the boot "set root" (/boot) line (or the kernel root, but much much more likely the former; i think the kernel root being wrong will stop in mid-os-loading). In text mode, it will let you go back to the menu, but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have been figured in to the graphical mode or I don't know what to press to go back as "any key" certainly doesn't do anything. You could have switched to text mode via pressing some button, i believe it was 't', then edit the command via 'e'. As soon as I reboot to test precisely which button it was I will add that. At least something good came of this wink

As for the flickering, I don't know on that one unfortunately sad

Edit: Updated 4) and added 6). Thanks smile

Edit: Also updated the the themes/tweaking section.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-06 16:11:38)

#89 2009-04-13 01:51:06

Fackamato

I followed your guide and it didn't work for me (x86_64) at first.

First, I messed up the device names (GRUB2 starts at hd0,1 and not hd0,0! stupid me). Second, I messed up grub.conf, I accidently commented the closing } in the menu section. I ended up booting up Archlive, installing grub legacy onto a fat32 usb stick, reboot to usb stick to get to grub legacy and boot my Arch from there. Couldn't mount my partition in Archlive because it's 2.6.28 and my ext4 / doesn't use a journal.

Anyway, there's just one last thing, the colors in archfox for the selected text are wrong. I thought GRUB2 interpreted my up and down arrow keys wrong, but it's actually the color of the text that should be reversed. For me the highlighted is grey and the item which is not selected is white and so stands out. Should be the other way around, shouldn't it? wink

Thanks for a great howto!

#90 2009-04-13 07:04:50

FrozenFox
Website

Glad you got it working and it was helpful to you smile

I was afraid for a while there I might've screwed something up in the newly remade tutorial since there had been only a single person respond since I posted the new one, and he had problems!

As for the colors in Archfox, I really didn't put much time into it. I only intended to make a temporary one to show it works and on arch, expecting more people to post their own stuff, though it seems I've only found 2 other 3rd party themes, which is unfortunate. I will look into the matter though smile

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-13 07:05:24)

#91 2009-04-13 07:33:10

Yaro

FrozenFox wrote:

Glad you got it working and it was helpful to you smile

I was afraid for a while there I might've screwed something up in the newly remade tutorial since there had been only a single person respond since I posted the new one, and he had problems!

As for the colors in Archfox, I really didn't put much time into it. I only intended to make a temporary one to show it works and on arch, expecting more people to post their own stuff, though it seems I've only found 2 other 3rd party themes, which is unfortunate. I will look into the matter though smile

Okay, you convinced me to give it another try.

#92 2009-04-19 07:42:16

xabz
Website

Hello, i update the instructions on  http://foro.archlinux.cl/viewtopic.php?id=12, thanks for great info about grub2-graphical. My theme is based on your theme with a small modifications, if you like can put a link and screenshot here.
I'm sorry for my bad english, bye. smile

Last edited by xabz (2009-04-19 07:44:48)

#93 2009-04-20 08:13:46

FrozenFox
Website

Sweet. Ty for letting us know smile

I've updated the main post to include your stuff accordingly smile

I liked your theme very much (especially because of how appropriate the wallpaper was for a boot menu big_smile), along with another clever one I lost the link to ><

If I find that one, I will post it too.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-04-20 08:17:35)

#94 2009-04-20 19:30:23

xabz
Website

Hello again, i try to make more themes, yesterday i made one for ubuntu, you can download here.
Good bye. and i don't think too that be a pkgbuild, but i don't found the indicated section for post.

I'm sorry for my bad english

gfxmenuubuntuxabz.th.png gfxmenuxabz.th.png elegantarchxabz.th.png
archsimpleblackxabz.th.png archxabz.th.png

Last edited by xabz (2009-04-21 19:21:43)

#95 2009-04-20 20:16:03

Yaro

xabz wrote:

Hello again, i try to make more themes, yesterday i made one for ubuntu, you can download here.
Good bye. and i don't think too that be a pkgbuild, but i don't found the indicated section for post.

I'm sorry for my bad english

I'd be interested in a Simply Black theme.

#96 2009-04-21 05:02:50

xabz
Website

Yaro wrote:

I'd be interested in a Simply Black theme.

archsimpleblackxabz.th.png
Download here

Last edited by xabz (2009-05-02 19:55:55)

#97 2009-05-03 06:08:47

kholddagger

HOW TO CHANGE ICONS

First, I really like the icons suggested by FrozenFox. Also, they're already in PNG format, which they must be for GRUB.

So here's how to do it.

In your first line, the menu entry line, add:

--class "ICON"

ICON can be enclosed in quotation marks or not. The meaning of ICON is that GRUB will look for grub/themes/icons/ICON.png and use that icon. It can be any size, but GRUB will fit it to whatever size the theme.txt configuration file for your current theme specifies.

That's it. Here's an example from my grub/grub.cfg file.

# (0) Arch Linux
menuentry "Arch Linux" --class "arch" {
set root=(hd0,4)
linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda4 ro vga=791 splash quiet
initrd /boot/kernel26.img

This uses my icon /boot/grub/themes/icons/arch.png which is 128x128 but is scaled down to 48x48.

And to FrozenFox, thank you! You made my year. I have tried over 60 linux distros, but I always come back to arch.  Finally, I have been able to make it everything I want - faster and better than any other distro by far. And thanks to your helpful tutorial (and other things like splashy) it looks better too. I'll be the envy of every geek at RPI next year. Haha.

Last edited by kholddagger (2009-05-03 06:12:08)

#98 2009-05-03 21:19:01

FrozenFox
Website

Thank you for the information and kind words, kholddagger! I've certainly needed such lately. I've updated the main post with the info provided, and I'll "soon" (as the update suggests, I tend to be a little slow on getting it done from laziness) post updated packages that utilize it. Finally, a grub.cfg setup that is "non-hackish" and icons that are not prone to overwrite problems with updates. Fyi though, your post's example is missing an end brace! Anyway, I'll eventually also get around to fixing archfox, probably around the same time tongue.

A few days after posting the updated packages (whenever I get to it ;D), if no problems are reported, I'll add the files to the main post and put them on AUR (including pkgbuilds for all of the themes in this thread) if there are no objections, since there have not been too many major/unsolvable problems and the hackish menu entries will finally be eliminated.

I will probably also turn all of that stuff into part of the wiki.. eventually >_> I think if one of the devs looked at a changelog for such were I to make one, they'd probably kill me. Hehe.

EDIT 1: I've tweaked the living crap out of the tutorial once again, and I think it's much better now. It is nowhere near as verbose, and it is much more readable. However, I'm very tired at the moment, so I'm sure I did something dumb somewhere (I caught myself using the number four in a list 3 times in a row just a moment ago wink). Let me know if anyone catches such a thing wink.

EDIT 2: I've also just made all the desired tweaks to the package(s) to include kholddagger's new information and made them a little bit better in some minor ways. They are both trivial updates, so I don't expect anything to break for anyone. After a quick test, they seem to work well enough. I will upload them a little later tonight, or tomorrow morning, depending on whether or not I fall asleep and still think they're good enough for me to *NOT* feel compelled to hack away some more at 'em like the tutorial or this post (I need to stop editing it..seriously.. >_>) in some absurdly obsessive fashion smile.

EDIT 3: ... k tweaked it again to make it even more useful. GOING TO BED before my eyes bleed!

EDIT 4: ....... okay, seriously this time. Good night wink

EDIT 5: ............ yeah, don't even say it. Anyway, I'm off to bed now officially. There's nothing else I can possibly think of to make it any better, more straight-forward, and KISS than it already is atm. This should theoretically mark the end of my re-writing this damn thing. I should only be changing small things as the project itself evolves and people submit new stuff or give me problem resolutions. I also have nothing else to do to the packages but keep them up to date from here.

XABZ, would you care to set a license on your themes so that I may package them for here and AUR if they aren't already? GPL2/3? CC?

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-04 10:10:58)

#99 2009-05-04 21:31:44

xabz
Website

hello, i think this is a gpl license, i don't know the difference of gpl2 and gpl3. But you can use the same license of your theme.
The next week i will try to make more themes, and post here smile. Good bye.

Last edited by xabz (2009-05-04 23:22:53)

#100 2009-05-04 22:31:22

MorningWood

Great thread you have here FrozenFox,
I was wondering if someone could help me out though.
I am running a 64 bit installation and installed the standard grub2-gfxmenu-overlay and editted the PKGBUILD to include x86_64 and then installed it, then installed grub2-gfxmenu-bzr from Dzari's 64bit repo. My grub.cfg is as follows:

set gfxmode=1024x768
insmod biosdisk
insmod pc
insmod font
insmod vbe
insmod gfxterm
insmod videotest
insmod tga
insmod png
insmod gfxmenu

#set menuviewer="terminal"
set menuviewer="gfxmenu"

set theme="/grub/themes/elegantarch-xabz/theme.txt"
#set theme="/grub/themes/ubuntu2/theme.txt"
#set theme="/grub/themes/ubuntu1/theme.txt"
#set theme="/grub/themes/winter/theme.txt"
#set theme="/grub/themes/proto/theme.txt"
#set theme="/grub/themes/archfox/theme.txt"

# TODO: fix GRUB script parser -- it doesn't handle a space at the end of the line in a menu entry.

####################
#### BEGIN MENU ####

set timeout=8
set default="1"
set fallback="2"

# Entry 1 - Arch
menuentry "Arch"
    set root=(hd0,3)
    linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=791 splash quiet
    initrd /kernel26.img
}

# Entry 2 - Windows 7
menuentry "Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate"
    set root=(hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
}

####  END MENU  ####
####################

# Choose the font for gfxterm.
set gfxterm_font="Fixed 12"

# Load fonts.
# Generated with:
#  ls *.pf2 | perl -pe 's{^}{loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/}'
loadfont /grub/fonts/10x20.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/4x6.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/5x7.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/5x8.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/6x10.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/6x12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/6x13B.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/6x13O.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/6x13.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/6x9.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/7x13B.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/7x13O.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/7x13.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/7x14B.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/7x14.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/8x13B.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/8x13O.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/8x13.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/9x15B.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/9x15.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/9x18B.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/9x18.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/anorexia.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/aqui.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/clR6x12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/cure.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/drift.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/edges.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/fkp.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/gelly.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/glisp-bold.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/glisp.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-10.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-14.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-18.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-24.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-8.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-10.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-14.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-18.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-24.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-8.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/helvR12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/kates.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/lime.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/mints-mild.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/mints-strong.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-10.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-14.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-18.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-24.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-8.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-10.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-12.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-14.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-18.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-24.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-8.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/nu.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/smoothansi.pf2
loadfont /grub/fonts/snap.pf2

Everything seems fine, the file points to the right partitions and the theme files are there, however I still am only getting the text version of grub. Anyone have any input on this?

EDIT: My mistake, my prior grub.cfg was the version that was giving me the text based grub screen, it seems like the version posted above is even worse. This is what it posts:

06aa6cfcdd2a.jpg

Last edited by MorningWood (2009-05-04 23:14:42)

Board footer