You are not logged in.

#101 2009-05-04 23:15:59

kholddagger

Re: Care to play with grub2-graphical?

Check your /boot/grub/ (or whatever) directory. Is there a file called "gfxmenu.mod" there?

Last edited by kholddagger (2009-05-04 23:16:42)

#102 2009-05-04 23:39:50

MorningWood

kholddagger wrote:

Check your /boot/grub/ (or whatever) directory. Is there a file called "gfxmenu.mod" there?

Well I can't tell right now because I started from scratch. I uninstalled grub, deleted the grub folder and installed grub2-gfxmenu-bzr then ran setup and then installed the overlays but when I look into the grub folder, there's the fonts, images, and themes subfolders but no actual files in the grub folder itself, not even grub.cfg or any .mod files. Wonder what's going on. When I install the vanilla grub2, everything is there and always works fine.

EDIT: reran grub setup and for some reason almost all the necessary files showed up, however Grub.cfg is still missing. There is a gfxmenu.mod file though.

Last edited by MorningWood (2009-05-04 23:45:28)

#103 2009-05-04 23:43:32

kholddagger

Hmm... grub-install should make those files. If you ran that, I don't know what to say. Maybe they're on another partition for some reason. You did run this, right?

grub-install /dev/sda

Last edited by kholddagger (2009-05-04 23:43:57)

#104 2009-05-04 23:54:32

MorningWood

Indeed, I think what I did wrong the first time was run it as /sbin/grub-install /dev/sda. Like the edit above says though, the grub.cfg file is still missing though.

#105 2009-05-05 04:16:24

kholddagger

Here's my grub.cfg if you want to take a look. You should probably just make one from scratch. Actually, I think there might be a command for this, but I don't have it because I built mine in the 32-bit environment all from PKGBUILDs.

set gfxmode=1024x768
insmod biosdisk
insmod pc
insmod font
insmod vbe
insmod gfxterm
insmod videotest
insmod tga
insmod png
insmod gfxmenu
insmod linux
insmod halt
insmod reboot

#set menuviewer="terminal"
set menuviewer="gfxmenu"

#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/archfox/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/arch/theme.txt"
set theme="/boot/grub/themes/arch-simpleblack/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/elegantarch/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu-xabz/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/xabz/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu2/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/ubuntu1/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/winter/theme.txt"
#set theme="/boot/grub/themes/proto/theme.txt"

# Timeout for menu
set timeout=10

# Set default boot entry as Entry 0
set default=0

# (0) Arch Linux
menuentry "Arch Linux" --class "arch" {
set root=(hd0,4)
linux /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda4 ro vga=791 splash quiet
initrd /boot/kernel26.img
}

# (1) OpenGEU
menuentry "OpenGEU" --class "ubuntu" {
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.27-11-generic root=UUID=f54097df-b072-4e0a-ae79-a47af129e5a3 ro quiet splash 
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.27-11-generic
}

# (2) Vector
menuentry "Vector Linux" --class "opensolaris_gray" {
set root=(hd0,7)
linux /boot/vmlinuz root=UUID=86ca5a8e-59af-4076-802b-7cba4365c6b6 ro splash quiet
initrd /boot/initrd
}

# (3) xPUD
menuentry "xPUD" --class "mandriva_orange" {
set root=(hd0,6)
linux /boot/xpud noisapnp
}

# (4) Reboot
menuentry "Windows - may crash" --class "windows" {
reboot
}

# (5) Shutdown
menuentry "Mac OSX - may break" --class "apple" {
halt
}

####  END MENU  ####
####################

# Choose the font for gfxterm.
set gfxterm_font="Fixed 12"

# Load fonts.
# Generated with:
  ls *.pf2 | perl -pe 's{^}{loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/}'
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/10x20.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/4x6.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/5x7.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/5x8.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x10.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x13B.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x13O.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x13.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/6x9.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x13B.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x13O.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x13.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x14B.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/7x14.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/8x13B.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/8x13O.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/8x13.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x15B.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x15.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x18B.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/9x18.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/anorexia.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/aqui.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/clR6x12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/cure.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/drift.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/edges.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/fkp.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/gelly.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/glisp-bold.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/glisp.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-10.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-14.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-18.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-24.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-8.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-10.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-14.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-18.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-24.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/Helvetica-Bold-8.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/helvR12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/kates.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/lime.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/mints-mild.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/mints-strong.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-10.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-14.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-18.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-24.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-8.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-10.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-12.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-14.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-18.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-24.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/New_Century_Schoolbook-Bold-8.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/nu.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/smoothansi.pf2
loadfont /boot/grub/fonts/snap.pf2

#106 2009-05-05 05:24:21

FrozenFox
Website

Is there any reason you're using -bzr when the tutorial explicitly suggests that you not do so any more? Does the pkgbuild not work properly if you set the flag and such to x64 as necessary (I need this kind of feedback guys, I don't have x64 so I can't say if it's done/working properly without someone telling me it's not!), or do you not have a 32 bit environment/chroot accessible? I tried to model the 64 bit parts of the pkgbuild after Shaika-dzari's old bzr one which seemed to work for some people.. If you are unable to compile, perhaps another 64 bit user could provide you with the built packages.. as written early in the tutorial, the menu entries from the bzr (OLD!) version are not formatted the same as they are now..

I notice the x64 architecture missing in the overlay and I will fix that in the next release, but what I understand from Shaika-Dzari is that it should be that way because it needs to be built under 32 bit..?

Also, if you look at your entries, they are missing an intro brace.

# Entry 1 - Arch
menuentry "Arch"          <---- needs a { here, ie: "Arch" {
    set root=(hd0,3)
    linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=791 splash quiet
    initrd /kernel26.img
}

You are also missing the class typed and such, but those are not "necessary". You won't have icons without that information however. Note again that since you're using the -bzr version, you can't use the same formatting for classes everyone else should now be using. See INTRO-B-6..

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-05 06:23:11)

#107 2009-05-05 05:29:32

kholddagger

I made mine in a 32 bit environment. Can I build something that will help other 64-bit users install grub? I mean, wouldn't it be as simple as taking all the files in my grub directory, tar'ing them up, hosting the file, then making a script that downloads, extracts, and sets it up with a default grub.cfg?

#108 2009-05-05 05:36:01

FrozenFox
Website

I don't think all of that would be necessary. You could probably just upload your built .pkg.tar.gz files somewhere like mediafire, as Shaik-dzari seems to have done (except without the repository part), then point users back to the Tutorial @ Groups A+G (D wouldn't be necessary, it's entirely compiling instructions), assuming you didn't have to do anything else not mentioned on the tutorial. They would just install the 2 binaries then proceed to grub-install blahblah as usual.

In hopes that you don't do this twice, I am uploading now what I put together as the next package releases the other night. Please note that I haven't tested them beyond checking that they simply compile/convert properly, so check that there's nothing silly wrong with them that I might've missed first.. if there is no such thing, I'll update on the main thread accordingly. Plase wait just a few minutes, and it'll be on this post..

EDIT: Link removed, since it's been posted on the main thread now and is no longer under 'testing'.

There. I also properly named/numbered them as I should have in the first release..

EDIT: Only problem I notice is that I forgot to add the md5sum for arch.png. Before moving it out of the testing folder and placing it on the main page, I will fix that, though it probably doesn't warrant a new release number (so I won't change such, unless someone suggests otherwise). You might wish to do that yourself on your package before that.

Perhaps there should be a post entirely dedicated to sample grub.cfg's under different setups, now that I think about it.. What say you?

Also, WOW! 108 posts on this thread big_smile

Edit: Also, just figured out the real problem with MorningWood's grub.cfg. Silly missing open braces.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-13 01:02:40)

#109 2009-05-05 12:39:39

MorningWood

FrozenFox, I used -bzr because regular grub2-gfxmenu was not available on the repository and I did not have a 32bit environment. I'll try using your version, thanks.

EDIT: tried your version and it's throwing up the same "This package must be built on i686. It won't compile on x86_64.
Switch the DESTARCH variable in this PKGBUILD to x86_64, and try again from a 32 bit environment/chroot, perhaps."  error that caused me to try Dzari's version. Guess I'll have to build it in a 32bit environment instead of using a binary.

Last edited by MorningWood (2009-05-05 13:06:58)

#110 2009-05-05 15:11:41

FrozenFox
Website

You can do that or wait for someone else to provide you with a new binary. Kholddagger appears to be ready to do so.

Just set the flag in the pkgbuild accordingly if you do compile it yourself though. If someone else provides pkgbuilds that work properly, I can include those and the 32 bit binaries in the main post when the new pkgbuilds appear to be working properly for everyone.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-05 15:13:05)

#111 2009-05-09 21:12:57

FrozenFox
Website

I finally got around to packaging Xabz' themes (with minor naming tweaks), along with my own. For those of you who use my theme, it is now "aftermathblue" instead of "archfox", to refer to the original wallpaper and not needlessly self-reference. I also added the x86_64 tag to the pkgbuild, for those that inconvenienced before. I have not otherwise updated the package beyond tweaking the description, so sorry if you were waiting for the "make it not suck!" update.

XABZ: First of all, I hope you don't mind, I have slightly renamed some of your work to be either simpler or reference the original wallpapers better. They are mostly the same, but on some, I moved your name from the filename to the package description. I also did this on my theme, "archfox" is now "aftermathblue" (the original wallpaper is "aftermath"). Second, I have looked up the license on all of the original wallpapers your themes are based on and set the license per-package to match those. They are a mix of GPL, CC, and Artistic 2.0. If you have any issue with any of this, let me know immediately. Oh yes, Third, I did not know / couldn't find your email, so I left the contributor email in the pkgbuilds as "<>" instead of "<name@whatever.com>". If you wish to provide it, I will add it to the pkgbuilds in new package versions later. If not, I will leave it blank.

You can find them all of the stuff below and makepkg them for yourself. If by some chance you are not on Arch Linux, you can also use these; just ignore the PKGBUILD in there and extract the tarballs to the themes folder. Since I don't have a capable web host, the theme tarball is included in the package, so obviously 'source=' won't be referencing a source for wget to download. Doing it manually with makepkg is kind of pointless at the moment unless youre on x86_64, security reasons aside. If someone wants me to put all this crap on AUR, someone else will need to host it, as I don't think wget plays nice with mediafire. Let me know if I'm mistaken.. :

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6884 … 6e282a0ee8

IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BOTHER WITH MAKEPKG and you're on i686, I also uploaded all of the built packages for i686 below. Someone please send me the x86_64 ones to post.. if not, I'll do them on my sister's machine later when I feel bored..

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6884 … eaa7bc68bc

I'll post these on the main page in a few days if nobody reports any issues.

I will also be moving the 'testing' pkgbuilds to the main page tonight since nobody has reported problems..

I will soon be posting a "grub2-icons-circlestarts" pkgbuild/pkg set for those who want it too. It will be available in the same two places above in the same formats.

Until I or someone else gets around to posting stuff on the wiki, and the theme packages are more complete as per the above, I'm putting off uploading to AUR for a short time.

As usual, ** PLEASE ** let me know if there are any issues, as I've done limited testing, and I can't fix something if I don't know it's a problem.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-09 21:19:48)

#112 2009-05-16 01:45:55

FrozenFox
Website

Since nobody seems to have noticed my update(s) that many of you have been asking for (esp 64 bit binaries since its a pain to compile -- but several days produced 0 downloads according to mediafire), I'm posting this to tell you to look at the news at the top of the main post.. to sum it up, i have a testing section which now has binaries for the actual grub2-gfxmenu and overlay for i686, and *everything* there for x86_64 now. However, I have NO CLUE AT ALL IF THE X64 ONES WORK EVEN PARTIALLY, because I cannot test them. My sister's x64 pc can be used for compile purposes, but it's a work pc so I can't test it out (mine is 686). The brave 64 bit users among you should try it out and tell me if it works properly, if I'm missing dependencies, or whatnot..

Also, I'm working on a means of working around the problems that split boot (/ and /boot split) users are having with needing to remove the /boot prefix stuff. I'm not sure if it will end up working, or if I will just have to try another method (like perhaps having 2 grub.cfg's available, one for normal, grub.cfg, and perhaps grub.cfg.splitboot or something).

I'll also be updating the aftermathblue theme maybe tomorrow if I get the chance and post the new 0.02 pkgbuilds up in the testing area..

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-16 01:50:56)

#113 2009-05-16 13:30:21

Kevind71

Just wanted to let you know that I installed the x86_64 binaries and everything works perfectly for me.  I should point out for anybody who may be interested, I installed to my Arch partition rather than to the mbr, (i.e. "grub-install /dev/sda6") and then chainloaded from legacy grub.  But since this worked without any issues I will go ahead and install to my mbr when I have some time later today.

Thanks so much for all the hard work on this.  It is greatly appreciated.

#114 2009-05-16 14:45:45

sva_h4cky0
Website

hy,

same here, just installed x86_64 binaries and its works.
btw im installed to mbr

thanks, wink

"Am I not good enough for you?"

#115 2009-05-16 22:32:33

FrozenFox
Website

Sweet. Good to know, thanks guys. I will move them over to the main folders shortly then.

EDIT: Moved. Now I guess it's time to work on aftermathblue some more.. more soon. smile

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-16 22:54:33)

#116 2009-05-17 04:33:10

FrozenFox
Website

Happily updated Aftermathblue (prev Archfox) to 0.02 finally. The pkgbuild and i686 binary are both up in the testing area, if only because I don't have the x64 binary at the same time. I will get that tomorrow or the day after then move them all to the main if there are no problems. There shouldn't be; I only changed the theme's theme.txt, images, version number/pkg release and md5sum, and it works fine here.

In any case, I fixed:

1) The entry font colors. The active is now white, and the inactive is blue violet. I think it is easier to see and nicer looking than straight blue on top of that wallpaper.

2) The "time remaining" font color now matches the entry colors. I decided on making it match the inactive color because the focus shouldn't be taken away from the entries.

3) The color of a window border that flashes quickly after the console in the event of an auto-selection, to match.

4) The circular progress ticker size. It now actually surrounds the logo instead of cutting into it tongue. Looks like a good size to me, though I originally had it a little bigger.

5) Totally replaced the console border. To be honest, in fooling around with effects on GIMP, I ended up making that border on accident. I liked it, and it seemed to fit the theme, so I stuck with it. .. the transparency stuff when the image flattened ended up "sticking" too, which I didn't think would actually stay that way until I rebooted and found it that way on the theme. .. and actually, I REALLY like it that way, I think it looks pretty awesome and feel like repeating the "It's better to be lucky than good" stuff.

I'm not sure if you all will like the new border as much as me though. Press c at the graphical menu to see it or let it auto-select to see it for a very short time. Note that it renders sloooooooooooooooooooooow right now, so don't bother actually *using* it in graphical mode (works fine in text mode), but it looks much nicer if brought up or shown after an auto-select than the previous cartoon-y baby blue border imo.

If you have any more suggestions, think the new border sucks, or liked some old setting better, let me know.

I'll be working tomorrow some more on fixing a couple small packaging issues with grub2-gfxmenu (like forgetting an md5sum on I think the overlay and checking dependencies for validity and moving to makedepends as needed) and other stuff. I also had a grub2-icons-circlestarts pretty much ready, but it won't download from the link because of spaces in the filename. Makepkg doesn't like it using %20 or "\ " it seems. >_> any ideas on that one?

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-17 04:36:43)

#117 2009-05-17 17:02:39

Kevind71

Just thought I'd mention this for anybody else that has a similar use case.  I have grub installed on a discrete (i.e. unrelated to any installed OS) partition.  This is the grub that is installed on my mbr.  I then have the distro install grub to that distros partition and chainload it from my stand alone grub.

Grub2-graphical works fine as a stand alone grub but does require a few extra steps, but is mostly similar to doing the same thing with grub legacy.  Here is how I did it.  First I needed to mount my grub partition like so

mkdir /mnt/grub 
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/grub

Replace sda1 with the location of your grub partition.
Next I completely wiped everything from that partition with rm.  I advise being prepared for booting some other way just in case, but I didn't have any issues.
With a clean grub partition, install this version of grub2 with pacman.  This is where things  need to change a bit.  You need to change the way you issue the grub-install command as follows.

grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/grub /dev/sda

Again, replace sda with whichever drive you are booting from.  This will not create a grub.cfg file or any of the needed subdirectories.  You will need to copy them from /boot/grub where they should have been created when pacman installed grub2.  At this point just make sure that your grub.cfg is configured properly and when you reboot everything should work.

Again, thanks for the work on this FrozenFox, and the 64 bit binaries worked fine in this use case also.

#118 2009-05-17 21:59:09

MorningWood

FrozenFox, just want to say thanks and confirm that everything is working beautifully.  Small nitpick but I was just wondering if there's any possible way to get rib of the grub select text screen (at least I think it is) that shows up right before the graphical menu? it's not that big of a deal but would be nice to get rid of.
Anyway, thanks once again.

#119 2009-05-18 00:38:54

FrozenFox
Website

MorningWood: I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are referring to. If you have a digi cam of any sort, perhaps you can take a picture?

#120 2009-05-18 01:06:17

MorningWood

Sure thing, it's actually such a minor detail that it took me quite a bit to actually take a legible photo.
I'm just curious if it's possible to remove it; if not then it's not that big of a deal.
Here's the photo:
8a7f58874d85.jpg

#121 2009-05-18 01:09:09

FrozenFox
Website

oh, that. hm.. I don't know of any way to remove it unless you wanted to go into the source and get rid of the 'welcome to grub' part to make it take a fraction less time, and/or hide the other message. I suspect it will be removed or shortened further in later versions.

which reminds me: those of you doing this in a virtual machine, that screen can take a REALLLLLY long time to sit there before the gfxmenu loads. This doesn't happen on a normal machine, that message lasts like a second or so.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-18 01:10:01)

#122 2009-05-21 23:40:37

xabz
Website

new theme
planetplan.th.png
plane-plan, download here

Last edited by xabz (2009-05-21 23:50:33)

#123 2009-05-22 00:12:04

FrozenFox
Website

Fantastic! big_smile
Can you please see post #111, Xabz?

#124 2009-05-22 00:29:20

xabz
Website

hello, i don't have a problem with renamed themes. the license i think must be gpl3, but don't know if  exist any problem with others licenses, and my mail, is in theme.txt of "plane-plan" theme.
bye smile

Last edited by xabz (2009-05-22 00:31:14)

#125 2009-05-22 01:16:21

FrozenFox
Website

xabz wrote:

hello, i don't have a problem with renamed themes. the license i think must be gpl3, but don't know if  exist any problem with others licenses, and my mail, is in theme.txt of "plane-plan" theme.
bye smile

I will add your email to the pkgbuilds next version smile

Oh, I also forgot to ask you.. what resolutions did you have in mind for each of your themes?
I noticed your theme.txt's all still say "Designed for 1024x768", but all of your screenshots (and the wallpapers for the themes themselves) seem to be at a different resolution. Are they all designed for 1024x768 or something else?

I don't know much about license compatibility either, so in the interests of keeping this legally sound, I will leave them as-is according to the original wallpaper's license:

archsphere,distroballs,elegantarch: GPLv2
simplyblack: CCPL:by-nc-sa
ubuntuglow: Artistic 2.0
plane-plant: Unknown; author's website doesn't list one that I see (however, the bottom of the page has 'creative commons'). "Proprietary" I guess, until I look around (or ask) and find out otherwise. Until I find out for sure somewhere, I won't make a pkgbuild for this.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone knows whether it is legally "okay" to up gpl2 to gpl3, please let me know, so that I can set them to gpl3 as per Xabz' preference.

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-05-22 01:18:15)

Board footer