You are not logged in.

#101 2009-01-15 00:45:38

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Re: Powerpill - A wrapper and download accelerator for Pacman

The latest version as of this post is 15.4 (I've just updated it), so you should update now. I've made changes to try to address the specific issues that your having with pacman errors. It should now provide clearer information about the cause of the problem. I somehow missed that you had run it as root in your last post. The error is certainly something other than a permissions error and that should now be correctly shown in the pacman output when running powerpill.

If you've killed a powerpill or pacman operation, there may be a database lock file. Trying to run a pacman sync operation (pacman -Sy) will tell you if this is the case.

If you have archlinux.org as your main server, I suggest that you change it to something else. You do not need to edit your mirrors for each invocation of powerpill. You should however use either rankmirrors (which is included in the pacman package) or reflector (on my site and in the AUR) to get the fastest mirrors. It should be enough to do this once, although it is quite easy to set up a cronjob for reflector to retrieve the most up-to-date mirrorlist filtered by speed at a set interval.

If your speedtest reported 768kb/s (kilobits per second), thats equal to 96kB/s (bytes per second). In your first post in the other thread, you reported a maximum speed of

==> Maximum rate: 92.82 kiB/s

which is about 97% of  your maximum speed. I think your problems are due to your mirrorlist setup. If you are indeed using archlinux.org as your main mirror, you should comment it out and use another mirror near you.

Look at

rankmirrors --help

as well as the reflector section of the powerpill info page and the reflector info page itself.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#102 2009-01-15 00:48:50

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Rearranged the mirrors as you suggested...performed --gen-conf and overwrote old conf.

Retried to download three packages and received the sudo error again.

My powerpill is 15-1 from yaourt.

The package in the AUR is actually 15.4-1, although I'm guessing that's what you have.

From a brief look at his code, I don't see any reason why the current version of powerpill shouldn't work when run directly as root without sudo installed.  I'll uninstall sudo on my machine and see what happens.

EDIT: Well, Xyne beat me to it.

Xyne: Have you given any more thought to a web-accessible version control system?  Although I'm probably the only one who's that interested, as powerpill grows, it's kinda nice to be able to easily see what you've changed recently, especially since powerpill gets updated fairly frequently.  Of course, since you keep the old versions on your server, I can download the source files and diff them, but I'm a little bit lazy tongue.

Last edited by Xiong Chiamiov (2009-01-15 00:53:43)

#103 2009-01-15 01:00:38

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I double-checked as well by removing sudo then re-installing it via powerpill.

The errors message about sudo is almost certainly due to some generic powerpill error. Because pacman output can be in different languages, it's not possible for powerpill to parse pacman's error messages. To work around this, it checks pacman's exit status, which is almost always 0 except when a permissions error is encountered, but not always. The most recent updates no longer claim that an error is definitely due to permissions and powerpill now checks if sudo is installed. Previously, if it encountered an error, it would retry with sudo automatically as this nearly always solved the problem.

#104 2009-01-15 01:02:08

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re-downloaded powerpill and retried the three downloads:
bash-3.2# yaourt -S powerpill
==> WARNING: Building unsupported package as root is dangerous.                                     
Please run yaourt as a non-privileged user.     

==> Downloading powerpill PKGBUILD from AUR...
tar: Record size = 6 blocks                   

Comment by: gary4gar on 20080804 [14:21:54]
Usefull.                                   
it increased my download speed for about 20Bps.
which means, saving lot of time.               
Thanks, please do keep on with devlopment.     
+1 from me                                     

Comment by: Army on 20080805 [15:50:52]
Ok, so you did it smile Sorry for complaining in the thread, didn't know you are new to the Linux world.                                                 
Just cosmetics: It's better to remove empty fields such as groups=(), they aren't needed, so they only bloat the PKGBUILD and make it less clear.     

Comment by: Xyne on 20081113 [07:14:53]
Info page: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/powerpill

Comment by: Sharpeee on 20081115 [10:31:06]
I can't connect to your site nor download the new version!                                         

Comment by: Xyne on 20081116 [05:15:11]
@Sharpeee                             
Try the latest PKGBUILD. I've added a line for anyone having trouble with resolving the IP.         
Read the info in this thread too: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58299                   

First Submitted: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:30:51 +0000                                             
      Last Updated: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:24:13 +0000                                                 
powerpill 15.4-1 (Unsupported): A wrapper for pacman that speeds up package retrieval by using aria2c for concurrent/segmented downloads.             

==> powerpill dependencies:
- aria2 (already installed)
==>  Edit the PKGBUILD (recommended) ? [Y/n]("A" to abort)                                         
==>   ----------------------------------------------                                               
==>y                                             

Please add \ to your environment variables
for example:                                     
==>  Edit PKGBUILD with:(replace gvim with your favorite editor)                                   

==> Edit ./PKGBUILD with:
/usr/bin/yaourt: line 183: ./PKGBUILD: Permission denied                                           

==>  Continue the building of powerpill ? [Y/n]
==>y                                             

==> Building and installing package
==> Making package: powerpill 15.4-1 any (Wed Jan 14 16:57:42 PST 2009)                             
==> WARNING: Running makepkg as root...           
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...             
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...           
==> Retrieving Sources...                         
  -> Downloading powerpill-15.4...               
--2009-01-14 16:57:42--  http://69.89.25.172/~archlinu/xyne/src/powerpill-15.4                     
Connecting to 69.89.25.172:80... connected.       
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK   
Length: 49683 (49K) [text/plain]                 
Saving to: `powerpill-15.4.part'                 

100%[========>] 49,683      80.1K/s   in 0.6s   

2009-01-14 16:57:43 (80.1 KB/s) - `powerpill-15.4.part' saved [49683/49683]                         

==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    powerpill-15.4 ... Passed             
==> Extracting Sources...                 
==> Starting build()...                   
==> Tidying install...                     
  -> Compressing man pages...             
  -> Stripping debugging symbols from binaries and libraries...                                     
==> Creating package...                           
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...                 
  -> Compressing package...                       
==> Finished making: powerpill 15.4-1 any (Wed Jan 14 16:57:43 PST 2009)                           

==>  Continue installing powerpill? [Y/n]
==>  [v]iew package contents [c]heck package with namcap                                           
==>y                                             

loading package data...
checking dependencies...
(1/1) upgrading powerpill                                                                           
If you like this package, please install aurvote 
and vote for its inclusion/keeping in [community]

bash-3.2#
bash-3.2# powerpill -Sy midori openoffice-base memtest86
==> /root/.config/powerpill/powerpill.conf loaded
==> Checking permissions for given cache directories.
==> Invoking pacman to get URIs...
PACMAN: Starting...
PACMAN: :: Synchronizing package databases...
PACMAN:  core is up to date
PACMAN: downloading extra.db.tar.gz...
PACMAN:  community is up to date
PACMAN ERROR: error: 'memtest86': not found in sync db
PACMAN ERROR: memtest86 package not found, searching for group...
==> ERROR: Unable to retry with root privileges: "sudo" not found.
==> If this is a permissions error, either install sudo or rerun powerpill with the required privileges
==> Exiting...
bash-3.2#
Still having root problem.

EDIT:  Code setup failed...sorry!

bash-3.2# yaourt -S powerpill
==> WARNING: Building unsupported package as root is dangerous.                                     
 Please run yaourt as a non-privileged user.      

==> Downloading powerpill PKGBUILD from AUR...
tar: Record size = 6 blocks                   

Comment by: gary4gar on 20080804 [14:21:54]
Usefull.                                   
it increased my download speed for about 20Bps.
which means, saving lot of time.               
Thanks, please do keep on with devlopment.     
+1 from me                                     

Comment by: Army on 20080805 [15:50:52]
Ok, so you did it :) Sorry for complaining in the thread, didn't know you are new to the Linux world.                                                 
Just cosmetics: It's better to remove empty fields such as groups=(), they aren't needed, so they only bloat the PKGBUILD and make it less clear.     

Comment by: Xyne on 20081113 [07:14:53]
Info page: http://xyne.archlinux.ca/info/powerpill

Comment by: Sharpeee on 20081115 [10:31:06]
I can't connect to your site nor download the new version!                                          

Comment by: Xyne on 20081116 [05:15:11]
@Sharpeee                              
Try the latest PKGBUILD. I've added a line for anyone having trouble with resolving the IP.         
Read the info in this thread too: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=58299                   

First Submitted: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:30:51 +0000                                              
      Last Updated: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:24:13 +0000                                                 
powerpill 15.4-1 (Unsupported): A wrapper for pacman that speeds up package retrieval by using aria2c for concurrent/segmented downloads.             

==>  Edit the PKGBUILD (recommended) ? [Y/n]("A" to abort)                                          
==>   ----------------------------------------------                                                
==>y                                              

Please add \ to your environment variables
for example:                                      
==>  Edit PKGBUILD with:(replace gvim with your favorite editor)                                    

==> Edit ./PKGBUILD with:
/usr/bin/yaourt: line 183: ./PKGBUILD: Permission denied                                            

==>  Continue the building of powerpill ? [Y/n]
==>y                                              

==> Building and installing package
==> Making package: powerpill 15.4-1 any (Wed Jan 14 16:57:42 PST 2009)                             
==> WARNING: Running makepkg as root...           
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...              
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...            
==> Retrieving Sources...                         
  -> Downloading powerpill-15.4...                
--2009-01-14 16:57:42--  http://69.89.25.172/~archlinu/xyne/src/powerpill-15.4                      
Connecting to 69.89.25.172:80... connected.       
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK    
Length: 49683 (49K) [text/plain]                  
Saving to: `powerpill-15.4.part'                  

100%[========>] 49,683      80.1K/s   in 0.6s    

2009-01-14 16:57:43 (80.1 KB/s) - `powerpill-15.4.part' saved [49683/49683]                         

==> Validating source files with md5sums...
    powerpill-15.4 ... Passed              
==> Extracting Sources...                  
==> Starting build()...                    
==> Tidying install...                     
  -> Compressing man pages...              
  -> Stripping debugging symbols from binaries and libraries...                                     
==> Creating package...                           
  -> Generating .PKGINFO file...                  
  -> Compressing package...                       
==> Finished making: powerpill 15.4-1 any (Wed Jan 14 16:57:43 PST 2009)                            

==>  Continue installing powerpill? [Y/n]
==>  [v]iew package contents [c]heck package with namcap                                            
==>y                                              

loading package data...
checking dependencies...
(1/1) upgrading powerpill                                                                           
If you like this package, please install aurvote  
and vote for its inclusion/keeping in [community]

bash-3.2#
bash-3.2# powerpill -Sy midori openoffice-base memtest86
PACMAN: :: Synchronizing package databases...
PACMAN:  core is up to date
PACMAN: downloading extra.db.tar.gz...
PACMAN:  community is up to date
==> ERROR: Unable to retry with root privileges: "sudo" not found.
==> If this is a permissions error, either install sudo or rerun powerpill with the required privileges
==> Exiting...
bash-3.2#

Last edited by lilsirecho (2009-01-15 01:03:56)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#105 2009-01-15 01:15:35

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You're not having root problems... look at the output:

There is no package named "memtest86". The package you're looking for is "memtest86+".

Why are you running everything as root anyway? Running yaourt and makepkg as root is dangerous.

#106 2009-01-15 01:59:17

lilsirecho
Veteran

Discovered the error in memtest from pacman readout and corrected same.  Why does that end up with a root permission complaint?

I ran

powerpill -S midori openoffice-base memtest96+

This responded with the following (which took about one half-hour to complete and certainly not accelerated)...The speeds indicated were close to 90KB/sec...approx. 160MB download took half-hour...

bash-3.2# powerpill  -S midori openoffice-base memtest86+                       
PACMAN: resolving dependencies...                    
PACMAN: Done                                         
==> The following packages were specified:           
==> hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1                           
==> icu-4.0-2                                        
==> libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852                          
==> libwpd-0.8.14-1                                  
==> memtest86+-2.11-1                                
==> midori-0.1.2-1                                   
==> openoffice-base-3.0.0-4                          

Would you like to download all of them? [Y/n] y
==> Added to download queue: midori-0.1.2-1 (362.13 kiB)
==> Added to download queue: hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1 (692.93 kiB)                                                  
==> Added to download queue: icu-4.0-2 (7.56 MiB)        
==> Added to download queue: memtest86+-2.11-1 (47.96 kiB)                                                        
==> Added to download queue: libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852 (5.51 MiB)                                                   
==> Added to download queue: openoffice-base-3.0.0-4 (143.87 MiB)                                                 
==> Added to download queue: libwpd-0.8.14-1 (301.59 kiB)
==> About to download 7 files                            
==> Total download size: 158.31 MiB                      

Proceed? [Y/n] 
ARIA2: Starting...
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:17:04.373928 ERROR - CUID#17 - Download aborted. URI=http://mirrors.gigenet.com/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz   
ARIA2: Exception: Resource not found                                                                                                                                       
==> Remaining: 158.25 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:17:05.065489 ERROR - CUID#5 - Download aborted. URI=http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/midori-0.1.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz         
==> Remaining: 158.17 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:17:06.327646 ERROR - CUID#33 - Download aborted. URI=http://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                    
==> Remaining: 158.11 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 158.01 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.95 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.84 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.71 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.63 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.54 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.47 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.39 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.30 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:17:16.894298 ERROR - CUID#16 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.klid.dk/archlinux/extra/os/@CARCH@/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz           
ARIA2: Exception: The response status is not successful. status=550                                                                                                        
==> Remaining: 157.18 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.12 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ==> Remaining: 157.04 MiB/158.31 MiB (7/7 files)  Speed: ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:17:32 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/memtest86+-2.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz     
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:17:52.480329 ERROR - CUID#31 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                     
ARIA2: Exception: Failed to establish connection, cause: Connection refused                                                                                                                                                       
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:18:21 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/midori-0.1.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                     
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:18:23.185920 ERROR - CUID#32 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://202.78.230.5/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwpd-0.8.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                          
ARIA2: Exception: Failed to establish connection, cause: Connection refused                                                                                                                                                       
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:19:41.799951 ERROR - CUID#21 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                    
ARIA2: Exception: Timeout.                                                                                                                                                                                                        
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:19:57.148685 ERROR - CUID#23 - Download aborted. URI=http://unix.net.pl/archlinux.org/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                              
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:01.270126 ERROR - CUID#18 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                        
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:17.785319 ERROR - CUID#36 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/arch/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                             
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:18.765507 ERROR - CUID#52 - Download aborted. URI=http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                      
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:18.798457 ERROR - CUID#35 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.tu-chemnitz.de/pub/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                  
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:37.136700 ERROR - CUID#10 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://cesium.di.uminho.pt/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/icu-4.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                     
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:46.259524 ERROR - CUID#9 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://mi.mirror.garr.it/mirrors/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/icu-4.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                    
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:20:53.458509 ERROR - CUID#38 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.ntua.gr/pub/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                         
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:21:06.765734 ERROR - CUID#27 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/ftp.archlinux.org/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                 
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:21:09.796723 ERROR - CUID#6 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://archlinux.cbn.net.id/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                        
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:21:15.963098 ERROR - CUID#24 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://archlinux.cbn.net.id/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                      
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:21:17.979015 ERROR - CUID#11 - Download aborted. URI=http://archlinux.c3sl.ufpr.br/extra/os/x86_64/icu-4.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                               
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:21:43.623328 ERROR - CUID#62 - Download aborted. URI=http://archlinux.umflint.edu/mirrors/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:21:48.463987 ERROR - CUID#42 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.sh.cvut.cz/MIRRORS/arch/extra/os/x86_64/libwpd-0.8.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                     
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:23:18.057885 ERROR - CUID#48 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://archlinux.cbn.net.id/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                      
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:23:33 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz             
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:23:36.188902 ERROR - CUID#61 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.estpak.ee/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                             
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:24:00 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/icu-4.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                          
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:24:09.176615 ERROR - CUID#65 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                      
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:24:16.445596 ERROR - CUID#53 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                   
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:24:20.355426 ERROR - CUID#76 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.archlinuxppc.org/x86_64/extra/os/x86_64/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                             
ARIA2: Exception: The response status is not successful. status=550                                                                                                                                                               
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:24:43.130681 ERROR - CUID#72 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://mirrors.portafixe.com/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwpd-0.8.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                 
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:26:24 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz            
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:27:03.209394 ERROR - CUID#82 - Download aborted. URI=http://mirror.neotuli.net/arch/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                                
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:27:31.866301 ERROR - CUID#85 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://mirror.pacific.net.au/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/libwpd-0.8.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                           
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:29:57.015379 ERROR - CUID#87 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.linux.org.tr/pub/mirrors/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                  
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:30:21 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/libwpd-0.8.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                    
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:32:35.882297 ERROR - CUID#89 - Download aborted. URI=ftp://ftp.ds.hj.se/pub/os/linux/archlinux/extra/os/x86_64/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                                     
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 3.5MiB/143.8MiB(2%)]                                  
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 11.0MiB/143.8MiB(7%)]                                 
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 18.2MiB/143.8MiB(12%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 25.5MiB/143.8MiB(17%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 33.5MiB/143.8MiB(23%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 40.0MiB/143.8MiB(27%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 45.7MiB/143.8MiB(31%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 50.7MiB/143.8MiB(35%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 57.0MiB/143.8MiB(39%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 63.0MiB/143.8MiB(43%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 69.0MiB/143.8MiB(47%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 73.7MiB/143.8MiB(51%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 78.5MiB/143.8MiB(54%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 84.7MiB/143.8MiB(58%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 90.7MiB/143.8MiB(63%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 96.7MiB/143.8MiB(67%)]                                
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 102.7MiB/143.8MiB(71%)]                               
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 109.0MiB/143.8MiB(75%)]                               
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 114.7MiB/143.8MiB(79%)]                               
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 120.2MiB/143.8MiB(83%)]                               
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 126.7MiB/143.8MiB(88%)]                               
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 132.2MiB/143.8MiB(91%)]                               
ARIA2: [#6 SIZE:143.8MiB/143.8MiB(100%) CN:0] [Checksum:#6 137.7MiB/143.8MiB(95%)]                               
ARIA2: 2009-01-14 17:48:32 Completed: /var/cache/pacman/pkg/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz            
ARIA2: Download Results:                                                                                         
ARIA2: gid|stat|avg speed  |path/URI                                                                             
ARIA2: ===+====+===========+==========================================================                           
ARIA2:   4|  OK|   2.2KiB/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/memtest86+-2.11-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                            
ARIA2:   1|  OK|   4.6KiB/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/midori-0.1.2-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                               
ARIA2:   2|  OK|   1.7KiB/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                       
ARIA2:   3|  OK|  18.6KiB/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/icu-4.0-2-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz                                    
ARIA2:   5|  OK|  10.0KiB/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
ARIA2:   7|  OK|     387B/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/libwpd-0.8.14-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
ARIA2:   6|  OK|  79.0KiB/s|/var/cache/pacman/pkg/openoffice-base-3.0.0-4-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz
ARIA2: Status Legend:
ARIA2:  (OK):download completed.
ARIA2: Done.
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: midori-0.1.2-1
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: icu-4.0-2
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: memtest86+-2.11-1
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: openoffice-base-3.0.0-4
==> SUCCESS: Checksum verified: libwpd-0.8.14-1
==> 158.31 MiB downloaded and verified in 1889 s.
==> Average rate: 85.82 kiB/s
==> Maximum rate: 236.43 kiB/s
==> Done.
==> Exiting powerpill and passing control to pacman...
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (7): icu-4.0-2  libwebkit-1.0.3-0.39852  midori-0.1.2-1  libwpd-0.8.14-1  hsqldb-java-1.8.0.10-1
             openoffice-base-3.0.0-4  memtest86+-2.11-1

Total Download Size:    0.00 MB
Total Installed Size:   374.94 MB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n
bash-3.2#

It is probable that powerpill will not improve my downloads.

You may be interested to know that I have been in archlinux for five years and 2900 posts and have been root at all times.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#107 2009-01-15 02:20:21

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I've updated powerpill again to avoid attempting to use sudo when run as root.

I've explained in this post why you received a permissions error and why that error message was wrong. This should no longer happen with the latest update.

I agree that powerpill will not be able to improve your downloads. You appear to already be using your maximum bandwidth so there is no bandwidth left to squeeze out of your connection. You can always try powerpill again later if you get access to a faster connection.

lilsirecho wrote:

You may be interested to know that I have been in archlinux for five years and 2900 posts and have been root at all times.

You're braver than I am. wink

#108 2009-01-15 02:22:11

Xiong Chiamiov
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Discovered the error in memtest from pacman readout and corrected same.  Why does that end up with a root permission complaint?

Because powerpill simply checks for a non-zero return from powerpill, due to the difference in outputs, depending on the language you're running it in.

lilsirecho wrote:

I ran

powerpill -S midori openoffice-base memtest96+

This responded with the following (which took about one half-hour to complete and certainly not accelerated)...The speeds indicated were close to 90KB/sec...approx. 160MB download took half-hour...

Take a look at your mirrorlist.  Comment out all but one, see how it does with pacman, then compare that to with powerpill.  They shouldn't be much different.

lilsirecho wrote:

It is probable that powerpill will not improve my downloads.

Maybe, but you're not required to use it, and if it doesn't improve your speed, it's due to your network situation, rather than the software, so it's nothing Xyne can fix.

lilsirecho wrote:

Flaunting your e-penis, eh?  Just because you've been doing something unwise for a long time and it hasn't bitten you in the butt doesn't mean it's a good idea.

#109 2009-01-15 02:30:50

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Xiong Chiamiov wrote:
lilsirecho wrote:

Flaunting your e-penis, eh?  Just because you've been doing something unwise for a long time and it hasn't bitten you in the butt doesn't mean it's a good idea.

It is a bit like saying "I never use condoms and haven't caught anything yet", but at the same time, if you really know what you're doing, you can probably manage.

Anyway, I would prefer it if any further comments regarding that be left out of this thread. I don't want to see it get derailed and end up getting closed.

#110 2009-01-15 02:45:07

lilsirecho
Veteran

I have spent much time in attempts to run powerpill because the contributor has expressed an interest in having users try it out.

Unfortunately, my experience has been that it does not function well, especially if the source data is not mirrored by many mirrors at the time that powerpill is utilized.

As reported by XYNE, higher speed internet interfaces do provide for better performance, again only if the mirrors have the packages.

I will terminate the package at this time and give XYNE my best thanks for his help.

#111 2009-01-15 03:03:04

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks for trying it out anyway, lilsirecho.

I will say though that powerpill should never be slower than pacman. I strongly suspect that the poor performance you've experienced is due to the state of your mirrorlist. Mirrors that are either far away from you or not in sync should be commented even for normal pacman use. Also, despite not using synced mirrors, it was still able to get a nearly maximum download speed as shown in your last output post.

Like other things in Arch, powerpill requires some user configuration to get the most out of it, even if it works well with default settings for most users.

#112 2009-01-15 03:16:46

lilsirecho
Veteran

It would seem from your comments that mirror list is more important than the powerpill package itself.

An emphasis seems appropo that even though a good mirror list is needed, the mirrors also have to have the packages and be up and running.

Too many variables in that arrangement to guarantee an accelerated download with powerpill, especially if attempting a newly released package/upgrade not knowing it is just now released and not three days old.

Perhaps at a later time with better mirror list I can get powerpill to accelerate downloads.

Many thanks and cheers for 2009!

#113 2009-01-15 03:43:17

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

Too many variables in that arrangement to guarantee an accelerated download with powerpill, especially if attempting a newly released package/upgrade not knowing it is just now released and not three days old.

That is simply not true. This is a limitation on your end, not a limitation of powerpill. Your bandwidth is low and you haven't bothered to follow my advice concerning mirrors, rankmirrors or reflector.

To be honest, I find it somewhat irritating that you would disparage powerpill performance without even having it configured properly.

I've suggested looking at reflector and rankmirrors as well as changing to another main mirror if you're using archlinux.org. Configuring powerpill is not difficult. As you can see here, many mirrors are in sync with each other and by using one of them as your main mirror, your database will be in sync with several servers. The only basic configuration necessary is to choose a main mirror and some others that are in sync with it and to comment out the rest. Going beyond that, it's very easy to use reflector to create an additional mirrorlist for powerpill specifically, which can be kept up-to-date with a simple cronjob.

If you're using mirrors that haven't synced in the last 3 days, that is your fault. If you're using slow mirrors, that's your fault. If you're using archlinux.org instead of a mirror, that is also your fault. If your bandwidth is limited to 96 kB/s, powerpill cannot magically get a better download speed than 96 kB/s.

Anyway, I now consider this discussion to be pointless and on its way to becoming annoying (no hard feelings, but I find this frustrating). Again, thank you for trying it and I'm sorry that you didn't have enough bandwidth to see an improvement.

Last edited by Xyne (2009-01-15 03:45:29)

#114 2009-01-15 04:18:19

lilsirecho
Veteran

My mirror list was changed during the last download.

I do not intend to disparage your handiwork but it is, by your own statements, very dependent on bandwidth of internet connection and the mirrors and how they are listed.  These items are paramount in powerpill application.

I have limited internet speed, perhaps that alone is enough to disqualify any advantage powerpill has to offer.  If that is true, notice to users of that fact would be appropriate.

Please excuse my misunderstanding of the primary needs for powerpill accelerated downloads.

It is after all only a trial run to familiarize myself with its performance on my system.  It certainly doesn't mean others will have the same results.

I appreciate your support and advice and know that your system has value for those with adequate internet bandwidth.

#115 2009-01-15 04:30:20

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

lilsirecho wrote:

I have limited internet speed, perhaps that alone is enough to disqualify any advantage powerpill has to offer.  If that is true, notice to users of that fact would be appropriate.

Ok, I've changed this

Powerpill Info Page wrote:

The combined effect makes the most of your available bandwidth and can dramatically speed up downloads on high-speed connections.

to

Powerpill Info Page wrote:

The combined effect makes the most of your available bandwidth and can dramatically speed up downloads on high-speed connections. Note though that powerpill is limited by your internet connection. If you already get the maximum download speed for your connection when using pacman, powerpill will not be able to magically make it faster.

#116 2009-01-15 06:21:26

skottish
Forum Fellow

Xyne, I installed 15.5 today and it's looking pretty sweet. I like having the more verbose output.

Groovy.

#117 2009-01-21 19:48:58

OrionFyre

Xyne, what a wonderful program! I was perusing the Wiki trying to refresh my memory on the pacman calls to re-download all installed non-foreign packages. Happened across a blurb about powerpill here. I figured I'd give it a whirl and I must say I am MAJORLY impressed. The verbosity of the output is perfect, everything is neatly formatted and clearly put. And it has improved my download speed by almost DOUBLE. I love it.

I love it so much I've even aliased 'pacman' to 'powerpill' in the off chance I were to take leave of my senses and attempt to run pacman without powerpill.

You've done good on this!

#118 2009-01-21 20:35:02

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks for the uplifting feedback, OrionFyre!

#119 2009-01-21 21:00:03

OrionFyre

I am going to be reinstalling Arch on the system. Ever since the gnome update everything has been "wonky" (and thats the technical term). I was intending to remove only outdated packages from my system but screwed up and deleted them all. My connection at home is a wireless connection from a neighbor's house about 200 feet away (YES, I have their permission wink ) But my maximal download speed even from speedy mirrors is 20K/s and a very unstable connection at that. SO i headed up her to panera to 'pacman -Sw...'

I was getting an ok speed at 75K/s but 1.3 GB of packages was going to be a while. So I went to the wiki to see how to use aria with pacman (as I had done it before) and saw powerpill. I'm 75% done downloading as I type this at 150K/s.

This wrapper is great! Can't wait to try it at home to see if it makes any improvement on my updates (I cringe everytime I see 'wesnoth' show up in my update list :rotflmao: )

#120 2009-02-23 07:41:51

Stefan Husmann

The issue I have tracked on the AUR comment page is still valid.

#121 2009-02-23 18:25:31

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

I think I've fixed my repo scripts now. Please refresh the database and tell me if the issue is resolved.

#122 2009-02-24 10:17:56

Stefan Husmann

Thank you, it works now smile

#123 2009-02-28 23:37:17

nous
Website

I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for this awesome connection 'saturator'. It's able to sustain an amazing 1.1-1.2 MB/s on my 12 MBps DSL line, what's more to ask?

#124 2009-03-01 19:16:12

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

Thanks nous. Just to clarify, you mean a sustained rate of 1.1-1.2 megabytes per second on a 12 megabits per second connection (i.e. 1.5 megabytes per second), right?

If that's the case, you could probably tweak your settings to get an even higher rate when downloading multiple and/or larger packages (more max connections, more mirrors, etc).

Last edited by Xyne (2009-03-01 19:16:46)

#125 2009-03-02 18:09:04

nous
Website

Grrr, you're right, I meant 12Mbps DSL line, as B goes for bytes and b for bits smile

And from time to time the speed aria2c reports jumps up to 1.4-1.5MB/s, depending on the ktorrent load  cool

Board footer