You are not logged in.

#5076 2013-04-06 14:48:53

ChemBro

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

CyberNhull wrote:
snack wrote:
CyberNhull wrote:

Hello guys. So kernel 3.8.5-1 dont support amd legacy drivers yet or it is just me?

I have no problems with my Mobility HD 3470 and linux-ck 3.8.5... remember to rebuild the catalyst kernel module after any kernel upgrade.

That's new xD..i never had to do that until now :S

Always read the pacman output, when updating.

#5077 2013-04-06 17:26:11

Vi0L0
Website

Hah! Looks like it's working!
A new hack that will perform automatic re-compilation of fglrx module while system shutdown/reboot tongue, ofcourse only when it's necessary.
I came up to this idea yesterday, but.. gosh i took me about 2 hours to figure out systemd, pretty frustrating...

I don't have time for details atm, will write it up tomorrow.
Just pkg src if someone wants to test it, it's "hook" for 13.3 beta 3

Gotta go!

#5078 2013-04-06 17:50:42

snack

@Vi0l0: nice idea, it will make shutdown times a bit longer but I think it's a good tradeoff until pacman will get proper hook suport. Just a concern: suppose that I upgrade the kernel and then manually rebuild the module; will the systemd service rebuild it anyway at shutdown?
If you will provide a package also for hd234k I'll be glad to test it smile

#5079 2013-04-06 20:04:07

nobled

Vi0L0 wrote:

Hah! Looks like it's working!
A new hack that will perform automatic re-compilation of fglrx module while system shutdown/reboot tongue, ofcourse only when it's necessary.
I came up to this idea yesterday, but.. gosh i took me about 2 hours to figure out systemd, pretty frustrating...

I don't have time for details atm, will write it up tomorrow.
Just pkg src if someone wants to test it, it's "hook" for 13.3 beta 3

Gotta go!

Thanks for the package.  I was able to install it and have it work.  You might want to add linux-headers as a dependancy for the package though.  I didn't have it and had to mess around a bit before I realized it was missing and preventing the module from compiling.

#5080 2013-04-07 00:04:15

lennyt

Vi0L0 wrote:

Why you are trying to run X on intel with xorg.conf configured for fglrx?
One of the things that pxp_switch_catalyst script is doing is removing xorg.conf when you are switching to intel (edit: or linking xorg.conf to previously possibly created xorg.conf.oth with intel inside, possibly because not many people is using xorg.conf for intel). After switching back to amd (catalyst) it's linking previously backed up xorg.conf.cat to xorg.conf so fglrx could run.

About kernel 3.8 - there was some talk on aur that it's not working, but noone confirmed it. Is there anyone able to work on 3.8 kernel with -pxp package?
If noone will answer i guess that bug report will be necessary (could be that intel did change something important in their kernel 3.8 driver and so fglrx isn't able to talk with it)

I have pxp working on the 3.8 kernel, but when I installed I immediately switched to the integrated card and haven't switched back since.  Later today I can test to see if switching to the discrete card allows everything to run properly, however I do know that the integrated works with pxp on kernel 3.8.

#5081 2013-04-07 09:29:15

Vi0L0
Website

Ok, so a few more words about a new catalyst-hook.

The new version of catalyst-hook comes with the systemd service called catalyst-hook.service. It's rebuilding fglrx module(s) when system is shutting down, just before systemd's umount.target.
It's stopping the systemd "river" and force systemd to wait until catalyst-hook.service will finish its job.

catalyst-hook.service is calling "catalyst_build_module check" function which is checking is fglrx module(s) rebuild really necessary.
The "check" function is checking do fglrx module exists, if it:
- doesn't exist then it's building it;
- does exist then it's comparing two values to be sure that rebuild is necessary.
The values are md5 sums of the /usr/lib/modules/<kernel_version>/build/Module.symvers file -because I noticed that this file is unique and different for every kernel' release -:
- first value is md5 sum of the existing Module.symvers file;
- second value is md5 sum of the Module.symvers file which did exist in a moment of fglrx module creation, this value was compiled into the fglrx module by a catalyst_build_module script.
If the values are different - it's compiling the new fglrx module.

The "check" i checking whole /usr/lib/modules/ directory and building modules for all kernels if it's necessary. If the build/rebuild isn't necessary it's whole work is taking only some milliseconds, then it get killed by the systemd.

To enable catalyst-hook.service run those commands once as root:

systemctl enable catalyst-hook
systemctl start catalyst-hook

Easiest way to test does it work well is to run:

catalyst_build_module ra

and reboot.

catalyst-hook.service does not actually need mkinitcpio's hook but i decided to leave it - still it can be useful for kernel's without separated headers.

snack wrote:

Just a concern: suppose that I upgrade the kernel and then manually rebuild the module; will the systemd service rebuild it anyway at shutdown?

If my words from above aren't clean wink then the answer is no, you don't need to manually rebuild the module, but if you will do this catalyst-hook.service will not rebuild it at shutdown.

snack wrote:

If you will provide a package also for hd234k I'll be glad to test it smile

Sure, I'm gonna update catalyst-hook on AUR and [catalyst], [catalyst-stable], [catalyst-hd234k] repos later today, if there will be no problems with its work I will update other repos in a couple of days.

nobled wrote:

You might want to add linux-headers as a dependency for the package though.

Ok, my local package already have it in optdeps.

lennyt wrote:

Later today I can test to see if switching to the discrete card allows everything to run properly, however I do know that the integrated works with pxp on kernel 3.8.

Thanks, let us know also about the discrete one

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2013-04-07 09:34:41)

#5082 2013-04-07 09:46:57

Unia
Website

^ Awesome work Vi0L0!

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#5083 2013-04-07 10:10:33

snack

Vi0l0, another concern about the mkinitcpio hook: suppose pacman updates linux before linux-headers. Then fglrx will be rebuilt by the hook using old headers, which is not correct. However, if I correctly understood what you wrote above, the module check at shutdown will not trigger module rebuild since checksum of Module.symvers will match between the newly installed kernel and the recompiled fglrx. So at next reboot one will have a new kernel and a new fglrx compiled against old headers, which could end up in a mess.
I don't know if such a situation is likely to happen, but in this case I think it would be safer to remove the mkinitcpio fglrx hook...

#5084 2013-04-07 10:28:36

PhotonX

Unia wrote:

^ Awesome work Vi0L0!

/signed smile

Desktop: http://www.sysprofile.de/id15562, Arch Linux    |    Notebook: Thinkpad L13 Yoga Gen2, Manjaro

The very worst thing you can do with free software is to download it, see that it doesn't work for some reason, leave it, and tell your friends that it doesn't work.  -  Tuomas Lukka

#5085 2013-04-07 10:36:10

Vi0L0
Website

snack wrote:

Vi0l0, another concern about the mkinitcpio hook: suppose pacman updates linux before linux-headers. Then fglrx will be rebuilt by the hook using old headers.

It won't be rebuild because /usr/lib/modules/<kernel_version_of_updated kernel>/build won't show up until linux-headers will also be updated.

#5086 2013-04-07 10:40:36

snack

Vi0L0 wrote:
snack wrote:

Vi0l0, another concern about the mkinitcpio hook: suppose pacman updates linux before linux-headers. Then fglrx will be rebuilt by the hook using old headers.

It won't be rebuild because /usr/lib/modules/<kernel_version_of_updated kernel>/build won't show up until linux-headers will also be updated.

Thanks, I thought that /usr/lib/modules/<kernel_version_of_updated kernel>/build was owned by linux and not by linux-headers!

#5087 2013-04-07 10:42:00

32reg

^ Awesome work Vi0L0!

+1

Vi0L0, how about [catalyst-hd234k-12.6] repo?

#5088 2013-04-07 10:49:06

Vi0L0
Website

In upcoming days I'm planning to update [catalyst-hd234k-12.4], [catalyst-hd234k-12.6], [catalyst-12.8], [catalyst-12.10]

#5089 2013-04-07 13:10:16

CyberNhull

ChemBro wrote:
CyberNhull wrote:
snack wrote:

I have no problems with my Mobility HD 3470 and linux-ck 3.8.5... remember to rebuild the catalyst kernel module after any kernel upgrade.

That's new xD..i never had to do that until now :S

Always read the pacman output, when updating.

I have rebuild it with catalyst-hook and its working fine now. Thanks and sorry for not paying attencion sad

If it does not kill you....It will make you smarter

#5090 2013-04-07 17:10:12

therealfakemoot

Alright, I've got one hell of an issue. Until recently, my nvidia graphics card has been doing great, plug and play installation (more or less). The nvidia card died, and I've been loaned a Radeon HD6570. I can get into framebuffer and log in while running off the card, but I cannot start X after installing xf86-video-ati (X starts but it's a distorted mass of pink pixels and the monitor cycles between that and "NO SIGNAL" every ten seconds).

I've prepped for installing catalyst, but catalyst conflicts with mesa-libgl. I've tried to remove it, but it goes something like this. Please, PLEASE tell me that there is some way to do this other than completely gutting my entire system; if I absolutely must, is there some way, other than writing down in my notebook, to keep track of the packages I had to uninstall because this is going to be 90% of all the software I've ever installed on this machine.

#5091 2013-04-07 17:33:05

Opanos

read

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159890

Nr 15, 16, 17 post

#5092 2013-04-07 17:36:24

Unia
Website

Opanos wrote:

read

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159890

Nr 15, 16, 17 post

That's wrong, he's having trouble with mesa-libgl, not xorg.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#5093 2013-04-07 17:40:06

Opanos

Oops, my bad, sorry..
Anyway, i think that its safe to remove it with -Rdd {or i am mistaken also here?]

Last edited by Opanos (2013-04-07 17:40:44)

#5094 2013-04-07 17:53:12

Unia
Website

Opanos wrote:

Oops, my bad, sorry..
Anyway, i think that its safe to remove it with -Rdd {or i am mistaken also here?]

Probably, but maybe not tongue I do think you should be really cautious with using -Rdd.

therealfakemoot, doesn't Pacman ask if you want to remove it? If so, just answer Y. Catalyst should provide it (either Catalyst, or Catalyst-utils). In your post I don't see you're installing catalyst-utils, so try:

pacman -S catalyst catalyst-utils

Last edited by Unia (2013-04-07 17:55:30)

#5095 2013-04-07 18:03:39

therealfakemoot

Unia wrote:
Opanos wrote:

Oops, my bad, sorry..

Probably, but maybe not tongue I do think you should be really cautious with using -Rdd.

therealfakemoot, doesn't Pacman ask if you want to remove it? If so, just answer Y. Catalyst should provide it (either Catalyst, or Catalyst-utils). In your post I don't see you're installing catalyst-utils, so try:

pacman -S catalyst catalyst-utils

After correcting my pacman.conf to conform to the wiki article's instructions, here's what I get when I try to -S catalyst and catalyst-utils. Yes, I can hit 'y'. It doesn't do any fucking good, I still have to remove mesa-libgl and 95% of my installed software depends on it or depends on something that depends on it.

Last edited by therealfakemoot (2013-04-07 18:05:35)

#5096 2013-04-07 18:06:36

Unia
Website

You're almost there. Catalyst doesn't work with Xorg 1.14 which you currently have installed. Open the Wiki again and see how to downgrade to Xorg 1.13. Once that's done, retry installing Catalyst and it should work.

#5097 2013-04-07 18:09:06

therealfakemoot

Unia wrote:

You're almost there. Catalyst doesn't work with Xorg 1.14 which you currently have installed. Open the Wiki again and see how to downgrade to Xorg 1.13. Once that's done, retry installing Catalyst and it should work.

I'd very much love to, but here. Do a ctrl+F for "downgrade". Absolutely nothing relevant. Am I looking at the wrong wiki page?

#5098 2013-04-07 18:10:17

Beelzebud

The Wiki article on Catalyst fully covers how to install fglrx using the 1.13 version of xorg using Vi0L0's repo.  You need to take the time to actually read it.   Here is the relevant section:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … positories

Read it.

Last edited by Beelzebud (2013-04-07 18:11:17)

#5099 2013-04-07 18:14:37

therealfakemoot

Beelzebud wrote:

The Wiki article on Catalyst fully covers how to install fglrx using the 1.13 version of xorg using Vi0L0's repo.  You need to take the time to actually read it.   Here is the relevant section:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ca … positories

Read it.

You're way behind. I need to downgrade my Xorg. Already got the repos and pacman key set up.

#5100 2013-04-07 18:21:10

Unia
Website

therealfakemoot, you're pushing my buttons. We are all offering our time to help you. Arch is not a handholding distro, we expect you to be able to find stuff yourself. Finding out how to downgrade is easy, I'm not going to help you anymore.

Last edited by Unia (2013-04-07 18:21:29)

Board footer