You are not logged in.

#6101 2014-01-12 22:35:12

alexis_evo
Member
Registered: 2013-07-04
Posts: 33

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Bit confused on the versions used. I'm trying to ensure I'm using at least 13.251 as there is supposed to be dota2 performance improvements in it. I haven't noticed anything after upgrading to 13.12-1 from the unofficial repos. Do I need to install catalyst-test from the AUR to get these improvements?

Offline

#6102 2014-01-13 01:28:57

solar
Member
Registered: 2011-03-01
Posts: 75

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Yes.. on my main box, upgrade, cinnamon et al. works fine. I use cinnamon git there (well, I don't use it, but it is installed and it works).

On a new install however, cinnamon breaks. I guess the packages will settle down as they trickle in in the coming days.

As I said.. bit unlucky time to do a rare fresh install.

EDIT: well, after using both cinnamon{,-git} and a whole lotta bollocks, in the end, I got it working , even with both, after discovering many bugs and so on.

Either way, to summarise in short, I am not sure what would need to be done or not, but I can propose if others struggle with something similar, (and have dual head) .. to purge, do a run with the open source.. make sure it runs, whack on fglrx again, and do not do a aticonfig --intiial=dual-head . Just do initial, and configure through amdcccle. This finally made it seem to work (although I did several other things too).

Openbox and Compiz... two work horses which just are inifinitely epic of the modern ones. Old skool, twm and windowmaker rise above most.

Went with git, even if I want to bring the git package count down a bit.. alhough git now has issues with polkit lal... ah well... tomorrow it is.

Last edited by solar (2014-01-13 06:30:34)


I am hilariously insane. yup. you won't notice though.. I promise...I think.

Offline

#6103 2014-01-13 15:55:18

peptid
Member
Registered: 2014-01-13
Posts: 4

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Hello All,

I recently install Arch and trying to install fglrx proprietary driver. I have HP Pavilion dv6 laptop with ATI Radeon 4650 graphics.

I included

[catalyst-hd234k]
Server = http://mirror.rts-informatique.fr/archl … 234k/$arch

# pacman-key --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 0xabed422d653c3094
# pacman-key --lsign-key 0xabed422d653c3094

to pacman.conf

and ran

pacman -Syy

but I recieve the following error

error: database 'catalyst-hd234k' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

so I canntot install fglrx drivers. Can anyone help me through this?

Cheers

Offline

#6104 2014-01-13 20:14:16

Vi0L0
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-06-24
Posts: 1,299
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

xorg-server 1.15 (yes, it's not supported by catalyst) landed in [extra], as well as libgcrypt 1.6, so I've updated [xorg114], [xorg113], [xorg112], feel free to update your system.
@users or xorg-testing repos: please switch to mentioned above repos, xorg-testing repos won't be updated anymore.

BTW I can see that catalyst.wirephire.com domain works fine now.

@alexis_evo:
use `pacman -Qi catalyst-package` edit: or `pacman -Si catalyst-package`, in the description you shall see the real version.
catalyst-test@AUR and [catalyst] repo are in same version (as for now 13.11 beta V9.95).

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2014-01-13 20:17:09)

Offline

#6105 2014-01-13 21:48:25

unforgiven512
Member
Registered: 2013-02-16
Posts: 1

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Hey Vi, when you get a chance, can you shoot me a message? Thanks

Also, a more general statement:
I've updated the 'catalyst-dkms', 'catalyst-dkms-test', 'catalyst-utils-test', and 'lib32-catalyst-utils-test' packages on the AUR. If you have any feedback, please leave it with either the AUR packages, or here.

Thanks!

Offline

#6106 2014-01-13 22:04:54

jasonwryan
Forum & Wiki Admin
From: .nz
Registered: 2009-05-09
Posts: 18,134
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Merging with the Bar & Grill mega thread...


Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Github

Registered Linux User #482438

Offline

#6107 2014-01-14 04:26:31

JoshQuake
Member
Registered: 2013-12-28
Posts: 8

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Hi I'm having issues. I installed Xorg 114, Catalyst, and catalyst-hook, but Xorg seems to not want to cooperate. Arch boots fine, but when I try fglrxinfo I get "Error: unable to open display (null)".

When I try glxinfo I get "-bash: glxinfo: command not found" and when I try startx I get "-bash: startx: command not found"

There is no Xorg.0.log in /var/log/.

Any tips?

Offline

#6108 2014-01-14 04:29:30

lano1106
Member
From: Canada, Montreal
Registered: 2012-11-22
Posts: 80
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

lano1106@hpmini ~/dev/packages/xf86-video-intel/repos/extra-i686 $ pkgfile startx
extra/xorg-xinit

make sure that you xorg-xinit installed

Offline

#6109 2014-01-14 04:40:42

JoshQuake
Member
Registered: 2013-12-28
Posts: 8

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

lano1106 wrote:
lano1106@hpmini ~/dev/packages/xf86-video-intel/repos/extra-i686 $ pkgfile startx
extra/xorg-xinit

make sure that you xorg-xinit installed

Seems it wasn't. Now It's saying the following when I try startx

/usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

I tried installing libgcrypt but same thing is happening.

Last edited by JoshQuake (2014-01-14 04:41:28)

Offline

#6110 2014-01-14 08:05:59

Vi0L0
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-06-24
Posts: 1,299
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Are you sure that xorg-server* packages that you have installed are in 1.14.5-11 version? They had to be, low versions are compiled against old libgcrypt and they won't work with libgcrypt 1.6.
If you did add xorg114 repo above all the others and still don't see packages in mentioned versions then let me know, maybe there's some bug.
Edit: ohhh... seems that your system is not fully updated, try to find the best mirror and install newest packages including libgcrypt 1.6.

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2014-01-14 08:07:26)

Offline

#6111 2014-01-14 08:36:22

genrich
Member
Registered: 2014-01-14
Posts: 1

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

JoshQuake wrote:
lano1106 wrote:
lano1106@hpmini ~/dev/packages/xf86-video-intel/repos/extra-i686 $ pkgfile startx
extra/xorg-xinit

make sure that you xorg-xinit installed

Seems it wasn't. Now It's saying the following when I try startx

/usr/bin/X: error while loading shared libraries: libgcrypt.so.20: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

I tried installing libgcrypt but same thing is happening.

Side note from here helped me: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 6#p1370456 (kept the libgcrypt.so.11)

Last edited by genrich (2014-01-14 10:31:56)

Offline

#6112 2014-01-14 08:38:19

JoshQuake
Member
Registered: 2013-12-28
Posts: 8

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Vi0L0 wrote:

Are you sure that xorg-server* packages that you have installed are in 1.14.5-11 version? They had to be, low versions are compiled against old libgcrypt and they won't work with libgcrypt 1.6.
If you did add xorg114 repo above all the others and still don't see packages in mentioned versions then let me know, maybe there's some bug.
Edit: ohhh... seems that your system is not fully updated, try to find the best mirror and install newest packages including libgcrypt 1.6.

Ah yup changed mirrorlist and got it up to date. Now another issue.

I still get "unable to open display (null)"
When I do startx, it outputs a bunch of stuff and terminates. I'll see about setting up pastebin or something to post the log file tomorrow. It says something about xterm not found.

Offline

#6113 2014-01-14 12:57:26

Volle
Member
From: Stuttgart, Germany
Registered: 2013-12-05
Posts: 42

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

did you run aticonfig --initial after installing catalyst?
after that startx should work

Offline

#6114 2014-01-14 13:27:06

Luye
Member
Registered: 2013-02-02
Posts: 11

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

JoshQuake wrote:
Vi0L0 wrote:

Are you sure that xorg-server* packages that you have installed are in 1.14.5-11 version? They had to be, low versions are compiled against old libgcrypt and they won't work with libgcrypt 1.6.
If you did add xorg114 repo above all the others and still don't see packages in mentioned versions then let me know, maybe there's some bug.
Edit: ohhh... seems that your system is not fully updated, try to find the best mirror and install newest packages including libgcrypt 1.6.

Ah yup changed mirrorlist and got it up to date. Now another issue.

I still get "unable to open display (null)"
When I do startx, it outputs a bunch of stuff and terminates. I'll see about setting up pastebin or something to post the log file tomorrow. It says something about xterm not found.

I'm in the same position, on using startx it crashes after GLX extension is loaded. Weirdly enough i can launch xfce4, and it runs, but the picture is constantly "shaking" by a magnitude of a pixel.

Although I got it fixed between finishing this post tongue
I didnt have linux-headers installed so fglrx module had not been properly built. I installed it and used the build module utility.
After, I did aticonfig --initial=dual-head and everything is now running smoothly.

Offline

#6115 2014-01-14 13:29:19

Volle
Member
From: Stuttgart, Germany
Registered: 2013-12-05
Posts: 42

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

are you able to run steam?
this doesn't work for me and some others with fglrx and we dont have a clue why it's not working (segmentation fault in line 755)

Offline

#6116 2014-01-14 13:53:36

okubax
Member
From: London
Registered: 2010-04-24
Posts: 180
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Volle wrote:

are you able to run steam?
this doesn't work for me and some others with fglrx and we dont have a clue why it's not working (segmentation fault in line 755)

Steam working here (latest Catalyst-test with [xorg114] repo)

Offline

#6117 2014-01-14 14:05:31

Volle
Member
From: Stuttgart, Germany
Registered: 2013-12-05
Posts: 42

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

okubax wrote:
Volle wrote:

are you able to run steam?
this doesn't work for me and some others with fglrx and we dont have a clue why it's not working (segmentation fault in line 755)

Steam working here (latest Catalyst-test with [xorg114] repo)

are you using dual-monitor and/or dual-head?

Offline

#6118 2014-01-14 14:36:51

clfarron4
Member
From: London, UK
Registered: 2013-06-28
Posts: 2,149
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

okubax wrote:
Volle wrote:

are you able to run steam?
this doesn't work for me and some others with fglrx and we dont have a clue why it's not working (segmentation fault in line 755)

Steam working here (latest Catalyst-test with [xorg114] repo)

Seconded.

It seems that everyone using AMD Catalyst needs to use the corresponding repository from Vi0L0, make sure it has higher priority than [extra] in pacman.conf and then update.


Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

Offline

#6119 2014-01-14 14:37:54

Luye
Member
Registered: 2013-02-02
Posts: 11

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Steam is running fine itself, although I wont be testing any games until I have finished copying in my backup files.

Using catalyst and x114 repo. Dual monitors and using dual-head, although I think --initial would be fine too. I think I just needed to ensure fglrx module was built properly, and that I had run aticonfig after that (on previous attempts I had not done aticonfig  after having used catalyst-build-module. Upon aticonfig --initial you should get some response of screens detected if it was succesful I believe.

My install order from a fresh install:
base base-devel etc... catalyst and its dependencies before grabbing everything in the xorg group (ignoring any conflicting packages).

Offline

#6120 2014-01-14 14:44:26

solar
Member
Registered: 2011-03-01
Posts: 75

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

can someone hit me with that xorg14 repo? Cos I can't upgrade atm.. so prolly have a stale repo url.

EDIT: nvm.. had a stale page in browser.

Last edited by solar (2014-01-14 14:46:40)


I am hilariously insane. yup. you won't notice though.. I promise...I think.

Offline

#6121 2014-01-14 14:47:09

Volle
Member
From: Stuttgart, Germany
Registered: 2013-12-05
Posts: 42

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Luye wrote:

Steam is running fine itself, although I wont be testing any games until I have finished copying in my backup files.

Using catalyst and x114 repo. Dual monitors and using dual-head, although I think --initial would be fine too. I think I just needed to ensure fglrx module was built properly, and that I had run aticonfig after that (on previous attempts I had not done aticonfig  after having used catalyst-build-module. Upon aticonfig --initial you should get some response of screens detected if it was succesful I believe.

My install order from a fresh install:
base base-devel etc... catalyst and its dependencies before grabbing everything in the xorg group (ignoring any conflicting packages).

OK i guess i'll do a second install later and install everything in your order.
are you using [testing] ?

Offline

#6122 2014-01-14 16:06:14

Luye
Member
Registered: 2013-02-02
Posts: 11

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Nope just [catalyst] and [xorg114] besides the defaults. Xorg 1.14.5-11 , Catalyst-hook 13.111-1  libgcrypt 1.6

Offline

#6123 2014-01-14 16:25:14

mid-kid
Member
Registered: 2013-05-07
Posts: 177

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

EDIT: Looks like xorg-server-common is just 3 plain text files and a man page... Never mind...

Last edited by mid-kid (2014-01-14 16:42:24)


If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough.

Offline

#6124 2014-01-14 17:27:38

ase1590
Member
Registered: 2013-02-09
Posts: 12

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Vi0L0 wrote:

xorg-server 1.15 (yes, it's not supported by catalyst) landed in [extra], as well as libgcrypt 1.6, so I've updated [xorg114], [xorg113], [xorg112], feel free to update your system.

Err, what? So did you manage to get Catalyst working with xorg 1.15 or not?  I noticed when updating, it started throwing warnings about still needing xorg 1.14 when attempting to upgrade to 1.15, so I thought I'd hop over here and ask around before I did something stupid like a partial upgrade.

Last edited by ase1590 (2014-01-14 17:28:08)

Offline

#6125 2014-01-14 17:28:53

snack
Member
From: Italy
Registered: 2009-01-13
Posts: 668

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

ase1590 wrote:
Vi0L0 wrote:

xorg-server 1.15 (yes, it's not supported by catalyst) landed in [extra], as well as libgcrypt 1.6, so I've updated [xorg114], [xorg113], [xorg112], feel free to update your system.

Err, what? So did you manage to get Catalyst working with xorg 1.15 or not?  I noticed when updating, it started throwing warnings about still needing xorg 1.14 when attempting to upgrade to 1.15, so I thought I'd hop over here and ask around before I did something stupid like a partial upgrade.

You have to use the [xorg114] repo to avoid upgrading to xorg-server 1.15 and break Catalyst. Read the Catalyst page on the wiki.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB