You are not logged in.

#7051 2015-08-02 01:52:44

wildboarcharlie

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Xabre wrote:

@wildboarcharlie There is no need for a special -pxp version anymore, if you're using driver from repo. Just install regular catalyst-utils and lib32-catalyst-utils.

Even for hybrid Intel/AMD? Someone should really update the wiki before more people end up in the same situation as I did.

#7052 2015-08-04 15:44:24

Xabre

Yes, even for hybrid Intel+Radeon systems. pxp packages are not needed anymore because standard, non-pxp packages provide same functionality.

#7053 2015-08-04 17:29:41

wuyingren
Website

Xabre wrote:

Yes, even for hybrid Intel+Radeon systems. pxp packages are not needed anymore because standard, non-pxp packages provide same functionality.

Can I ask which Xorg versions can be used? I have catalyst 15.7 from the repos installed on an Intel+Radeon system but I'm forced to use Xorg 1.15. Neither 1.16 or 1.17 are working for me in Arch, but the system works like a charm under Xubuntu 15.04 (which uses 1.17).  I would like to know if I'm missing something...

#7054 2015-08-04 19:39:20

Xabre

You have the same probem as I do, wuyingren, I have a HP Probook, Intel HD4600 + Radeon HD8750M, and it won't work on any Xorg version after 1.15. Even then, with Xorg 1.15, driver is acting ridiculous, with huge memory leaks, and constantly keeps the system way hotter than it should be (Intel CPU/IGP and Radeon DGP  won't go below 65°C for the love of it, even though it's just Plasma or Gnome Shell or LXQT session running, nothing else - for refference, with free drivers, system temp is 48-52°C on average on light load).
On Ubuntu (and Ubuntu derivates) it somehow works with their current X.org, no mem leaks, even temperatures are acceptable (though, still a bit high for my taste).

So, Xorg supported version seems to depend on laptop manufacturer and version of BIOS/EFI, version/series of AMD DGP, how much you love Ubuntu (I tried every current major distribution, Ubuntu is the only one that likes Catalyst PXP), pure luck, voodoo magic, and on top of it: the amount of nerves you're willing to sacrifice trying to make it work as advertised.

(Will note here that none of it is Vi0L0's fault, he's actually doing a magnificent job with his PKGBUILDs and packages, all while trying to deliver outstanding load of crap, that Catalyst is, in a best usable form.)

I am somewhat lucky, as free radeon driver seems to work quite well for me (I am not a heavy gamer, though, YMMV), especially after recent OpenGL upgrade to 4.1. Yay free drivers.

% DRI_PRIME=1 glxinfo|grep OpenGL             
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD OLAND
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.1 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.0.0-devel (git-7ac946e)
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.10
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile
OpenGL core profile extensions:
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel (git-7ac946e)
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 11.0.0-devel (git-7ac946e)
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.00
OpenGL ES profile extensions:

#7055 2015-08-04 22:22:59

wuyingren
Website

Xabre wrote:

So, Xorg supported version seems to depend on laptop manufacturer and version of BIOS/EFI, version/series of AMD DGP, how much you love Ubuntu (I tried every current major distribution, Ubuntu is the only one that likes Catalyst PXP), pure luck, voodoo magic, and on top of it: the amount of nerves you're willing to sacrifice trying to make it work as advertised.

Ah, damn...never managed to dominate voodoo magic tongue

I don't love Ubuntu very much, partly because they tend to keep things like this for them. If it works in Ubuntu, it must work on almost any other Linux distro. But it does not.

I'm just returning to Arch because I have discovered that using TLP makes the temperature problem vanish (at least while no gaming). I'm using a Dell Inspiron with Intel HD4400 + Radeon HD8670M and I'm experiencing normal temperatures for the moment. When I left Arch for Ubuntu, the laptop was experiencing very high temperatures and short battery life...even while doing nothing at all.

Anyway, I'll give a try to the free driver and see if it can manage my favourite games. But it's a shame that we still need Windows to properly play games that are officially supported on Linux.

#7056 2015-08-06 00:17:30

Amanda S
Website

Anyone knows if amdoverdrivectrl is properly working to this day?

If it ain't broke, you haven't tweaked it enough...

#7057 2015-08-06 00:24:11

kacperski1

Hello guys! I've just installed Arch and need help with configuring multi-monitor with AMD SurroundView.

I'm using the radeon driver and SurroundView is being used with HD 7770 GPU and the integrated graphics from my Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 motherboard.

When I was using Linux Mint both monitors were detected and working automatically since I've connected them to my PC, but Arch didn't seem to detect the second monitor (the one connected to internal graphics card) at all.

I've managed to create a xorg.conf file that makes both screens work, but I can't move windows between monitors.
Again it has been working on Mint so I'm sure it's possible.

Here is my xorg.conf: pastebin
Here is my screenfetch: pastebin (yeah, I know it's probably not needed for anything)

Google doesn't help, unfortunately.
Uncommenting the "Option "Xinerama"" line makes login screen not show at all.

(If anyone doesn't know - SurroundView is a function on some motherboards that makes you able to use both your GPU and your integrated GPU simultaneously so you can connect another monitor.)

I've already posted that on the Newbie section, yet I've just noticed this thread and figured out maybe people here will be able to help smile.
No one on reddit could, Google didn't help neither.

EDIT: fixed links

Last edited by kacperski1 (2015-08-06 19:27:17)

#7058 2015-08-06 12:27:51

clfarron4
Website

kacperski1 wrote:

Hello guys! I've just installed Arch and need help with configuring multi-monitor with AMD SurroundView.

I'm using the radeon driver and SurroundView is being used with HD 7770 GPU and the integrated graphics from my Gigabyte 78LMT-S2 motherboard.

When I was using Linux Mint both monitors were detected and working automatically since I've connected them to my PC, but Arch didn't seem to detect the second monitor (the one connected to internal graphics card) at all.

I've managed to create a xorg.conf file that makes both screens work, but I can't move windows between monitors.
Again it has been working on Mint so I'm sure it's possible.

Here is my xorg.conf: pastebin
Here is my screenfetch: pastebin (yeah, I know it's probably not needed for anything)

Google doesn't help, unfortunately.
Uncommenting the "Option "Xinerama"" line makes login screen not show at all.

(If anyone doesn't know - SurroundView is a function on some motherboards that makes you able to use both your GPU and your integrated GPU simultaneously so you can connect another monitor.)

I've already posted that on the Newbie section, yet I've just noticed this thread and figured out maybe people here will be able to help smile.
No one on reddit could, Google didn't help neither.

I assume that this is your other post.

Are you running the hd234k drivers or the current [stable] drivers?

Claire is fine.
Problems? I have dysgraphia, so clear and concise please.
My public GPG key for package signing
My x86_64 package repository

#7059 2015-08-06 19:26:08

kacperski1

clfarron4 wrote:

Are you running the hd234k drivers or the current [stable] drivers?

I'm using the xf86-video-ati drivers, the ones from Arch wiki. I guess they are current, stable drivers.

EDIT: I've fixed urls in the previous post.

Last edited by kacperski1 (2015-08-06 19:27:56)

#7060 2015-08-07 11:18:51

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

kacperski1,

this thread is about the catalyst proprietary driver, not the opensource drivers.
Surrondview appears to be hardware related, i'd advise to ask mods to move your thread to the "kernel and hardware" forum.
You should also add output of "lspci -k" and xorg log to a new post in that thread.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7061 2015-08-07 14:37:09

Vi0L0
Website

wuyingren wrote:
Xabre wrote:

Ah, damn...never managed to dominate voodoo magic tongue

I don't love Ubuntu very much, partly because they tend to keep things like this for them. If it works in Ubuntu, it must work on almost any other Linux distro. But it does not.

I'm just returning to Arch because I have discovered that using TLP makes the temperature problem vanish (at least while no gaming). I'm using a Dell Inspiron with Intel HD4400 + Radeon HD8670M and I'm experiencing normal temperatures for the moment. When I left Arch for Ubuntu, the laptop was experiencing very high temperatures and short battery life...even while doing nothing at all.

Anyway, I'll give a try to the free driver and see if it can manage my favourite games. But it's a shame that we still need Windows to properly play games that are officially supported on Linux.

Sorry for late answer, I had some medical treatement and I'm still on the recovery but started to do some basic tasks.

I never owned pxp capable hardware so it's hard to me to fix such a things, in theory it should work out of the box because lib-switching works just fine (i can switch between fglrx and radeon easily), but looks like it stopped working, the problem could lay somewhere else...
If you had some free time smile you can check things like applying ubuntu' patches for xserver, intel driver - it shouldn't be so hard, just pick up diff files, patch and build pkgs basing on Arch's PKBGUILDs:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/+source/xorg-server
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/vivid/+sou … ideo-intel edit: or better: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xs … +changelog
I don't know which gcc version ubuntu is using, that could be important in some cases. Maybe it's worth to check out, and downgarde if they are using some 4.x or at least disable optimization on our 5.x with -O0 flag
If that won't help it could be good to speak with ubuntu guys.

Amarildo wrote:

Anyone knows if amdoverdrivectrl is properly working to this day?

It never worked fine on my 290x, it's unable to get Overdrive parameters, but it was working fine olders days on 7850 and should work as well now.
Even if you are owning some newer card you can try to load overdrv values from a file, looks like I missed mine but here are some examples: (xml): https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=24397.0 or https://gist.github.com/pklaus/1081980
Just change the values and save as some .ovdr file, then load.

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2015-08-07 14:58:38)

#7062 2015-08-09 18:57:23

Amanda S
Website

Question: Why are the tty's gone?

#7063 2015-08-09 18:59:14

ChemBro

Amarildo wrote:

Do you use AMD Catalyst?

Edit: Argh, I thought, this was an other thread... Stupid question.

Last edited by ChemBro (2015-08-09 21:49:15)

#7064 2015-08-09 18:59:37

Vi0L0
Website

Amarildo wrote:

Typical AMD's bug when they are jumping to newer xserver.
Workaround is to use uvesafb https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/uvesafb

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2015-08-09 19:00:16)

#7065 2015-08-09 19:02:35

Amanda S
Website

Oh boy....

Does this use much processing power or other resources?

#7066 2015-08-12 07:17:32

wildboarcharlie

Hey guys, I'm getting the "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected" error as described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … etected.22
It says to create an `xorg.conf` with `Identifier "ATI radeon ****"` where the `****` is the device's marketing number. Where might I find the marketing number? I have a MacBook Pro 11,5 with an R9 M370X.

Last edited by wildboarcharlie (2015-08-12 07:18:01)

#7067 2015-08-12 20:36:26

clfarron4
Website

wildboarcharlie wrote:

Hey guys, I'm getting the "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected" error as described here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AM … etected.22
It says to create an `xorg.conf` with `Identifier "ATI radeon ****"` where the `****` is the device's marketing number. Where might I find the marketing number? I have a MacBook Pro 11,5 with an R9 M370X.

Did you try the aticonfig --initial command to try and get it to generate one?

Claire is fine.

#7068 2015-08-12 23:51:17

Amanda

Vi0l0, could you confirm that catalyst 15.7 isn't compatible with linux-grsec (4.1.5)?

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 3#p1552823

#7069 2015-08-13 19:27:10

Vi0L0
Website

It definitelly works with 4.1.5-ARCH. I didn't use grsec for ages, I should have time to check it on Saturday
Edit: oh grsec kernel is in [community], now that was easy and the answer is no, atm catalyst doesn't support this kernel, im getting these errors on module build:

cc1: error: incompatible gcc/plugin versions
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/constify_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/stackleak_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/colorize_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/initify_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/kernexec_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/size_overflow_plugin/size_overflow_plugin.so
cc1: error: fail to initialize plugin ./tools/gcc/structleak_plugin.so

as said, I will look at it on Saturday

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2015-08-13 19:44:14)

#7070 2015-08-13 19:32:34

wildboarcharlie

clfarron4 wrote:
wildboarcharlie wrote:

I did, it still says the same thing: "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"

#7071 2015-08-13 19:46:33

clfarron4
Website

wildboarcharlie wrote:
clfarron4 wrote:
wildboarcharlie wrote:

I did, it still says the same thing: "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"

Hmm... Is that the only card in the machine? Please post the output of the following two commands. Many laptops these days have processors with in built graphics cards, or unusual configurations, so I want to see what the machine is saying it has.

lspci | grep VGA
lspci | grep 3D

Last edited by clfarron4 (2015-08-13 19:48:52)

Claire is fine.

#7072 2015-08-14 19:34:03

hippieben

Does anyone have any information on the amdgpu kernel driver that's going to be coming out soon (4.2 I believe)?  Is it just going to make everything more awesome?  From what I understand it will run "under" catalyst or be able to function as a kernel-included driver?  Are there cards that it's not going to support?  I haven't really been able to find whether it will benefit me at all or not....

#7073 2015-08-14 19:53:57

clfarron4
Website

hippieben wrote:

Does anyone have any information on the amdgpu kernel driver that's going to be coming out soon (4.2 I believe)?  Is it just going to make everything more awesome?  From what I understand it will run "under" catalyst or be able to function as a kernel-included driver?  Are there cards that it's not going to support?  I haven't really been able to find whether it will benefit me at all or not....

Chances are you're gonna have to keep on using AMD Catalyst.

Phoronix wrote:

All of this new AMDGPU code is explicitly about the Tonga GPUs and future hardware. Users of existing Radeon GPUs will still be using the current Radeon DRM driver that will still be maintained by AMD.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … U-Released

Last edited by clfarron4 (2015-08-14 19:54:25)

Claire is fine.

#7074 2015-08-14 21:47:28

hippieben

clfarron4 wrote:
hippieben wrote:

Chances are you're gonna have to keep on using AMD Catalyst.

Phoronix wrote:

All of this new AMDGPU code is explicitly about the Tonga GPUs and future hardware. Users of existing Radeon GPUs will still be using the current Radeon DRM driver that will still be maintained by AMD.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … U-Released

ATI can suck one.  But thanks for the info.

#7075 2015-08-15 15:19:03

honestly

I am trying to run KDE Plasma 5 and whenever I move my mouse over a window entry in the taskbar plasmashell aborts.

It happens with both radeon and catalyst but I'm pretty sure it's GPU related. I am running the newest catalyst right now.

This is the error message: http://ix.io/kgW

Has anyone encountered that? Is there a fix? It looks like it's related to the window preview that's supposed to be rendered when hovering mouse point over an entry in the taskbar...

Board footer