You are not logged in.

#7601 2017-07-21 20:40:28

Vi0L0
Website

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

I don't have rx480, can't really check on my own and so don't want to mislead you... but about this gaming or peak performance - it depends on a game but often open source amdgpu driver is better.
Check this rx470 benchmark for example:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a … 1720&num=1
Also in comments agd5f said "For gaming we recommend mesa OpenGL."

#7602 2017-07-22 23:26:13

reed1

Hi everyone,

I'm using now Intel 6600k with 4K monitor, I want to switch to AMD Ryzen but as their procs doesn't have any integrated graphics, is there any recommendation for a good VGA ?

- I'm using i3, browser, terminal, video, light usage, no game
- I remembered having an old laptop with intel + nvidia 750m card (switchable) the nvidia is way choppy / laggy compared to intel for desktop work usage, but better in gaming fps
- I have 4K freesync monitor, but I don't notice any tearing, I'm just using i3+compton+intel modesetting
- Here's my gtkperf now (full screen)

GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Sun Jul 23 06:13:11 2017

GtkEntry - time:  0.22
GtkComboBox - time:  0.70
GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  0.51
GtkSpinButton - time:  0.19
GtkProgressBar - time:  0.07
GtkToggleButton - time:  0.53
GtkCheckButton - time:  0.20
GtkRadioButton - time:  0.33
GtkTextView - Add text - time:  0.25
GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  0.01
GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  0.63
GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  2.29
GtkDrawingArea - Text - time:  0.20
GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  0.06
---
Total time:  6.18

So any recommendation on what VGA should I get (I'm thinking of Rx550 or Gt1030) with what driver (opensource / proprietary) ?

Also if anyone with dedicated VGA and 4K monitor please let me know the desktop performance, is it as good/better/worst ?

thank you..

Last edited by reed1 (2017-07-22 23:27:58)

#7603 2017-07-26 17:52:14

skeevy420

reed1 wrote:

quote removed

I haven't used Nvidia since 2013 or 14 so I don't really know where they stand as far as open source or proprietary driver support or how often kernel updates break the proprietary driver (had hell back in the day with my 8400GS and kernel updates).  Currently, the newest gen AMD cards aren't fully supported with the latest kernel, but Arch has an unofficial repo that does support them (hopefully kernel 4.13 or 4.14 will fully support the Polaris based AMD cards) and some AMD cards don't have working HDMI audio with Linux, so really make sure you research the AMD card you plan to purchase to make sure it will work for your needs (based on what I've read, with that repo the 5XX cards should work just fine for you...hopefully, someone who has one and not somebody who wants one will chime in).

As far as drivers go with the newest cards, with Nvidia, you're basically stuck with the proprietary driver and with AMD you'll have a choice of Radeon and AMDGPU (true for anything late 2013+ for either brand).  There's AMDGPU-Pro, but it's not as good for gaming and can be difficult to get and stay working with Arch (IMHO, outside of OpenCL, if you really need AMDGPU-Pro, use a distro AMD provides Pro drivers for).

You're going to want at least a 4GB model of whatever GPU you decide to get, but you should seriously consider getting at least 6GB with NVidia or 8GB with AMD (the extra ram really, really helps with the extra large textures used for 4k gaming).  With the RX series, 460\560 and up is what to look at, models below those (in those series') aren't really gaming cards; ditto with Nvidia and the 1060GT; don't go below that.  Basically, you'll want at least 4GB or more ram, and with Nvidia the1060GT is the budget gaming card and it's the RX 560 with AMD.  I'd personally be happy with either of those cards and I wouldn't consider anything below the highest ram models of the 560 or 1060 if I planned on playing games.  The cards you listed should be just fine if you don't plan on playing games or don't mind playing on the lowest settings (even at lower than 4K resolutions).  Even with the 560 or 1060 you'll have to compromise on the game settings because neither will do a 2016+ game at 4K maxed out with decent frame rates, especially on Linux  (either will do 1080p-2k damn near maxed, so there's that).

I'll also add that the GPU market is pretty crappy right now.  Any card that's worth a damn is either new and costs way too damn much or is going cheap on used sites and was likely a whatever-coin mining card being sold off since the market dropped.  New RX cards that went for $250 on launch are selling for $400 and more now....it really sucks.

If you can't tell, I don't have a bias for one brand or another.  Both have their respective pros and cons.  My personal choice is to go with AMD on a primarily Linux station and Nvidia on a primarily Windows, Solaris, or BSD station.

Last edited by skeevy420 (2017-07-26 17:56:47)

#7604 2017-07-27 03:13:37

reed1

Hi skeevy420, thank you very much for your answer. I have to emphasize more that I don't do gaming big_smile intel hd 530 is enough for me, so low end cards should be enough, it's just that there's no VGA on Ryzen. I heard the news about the price also, that's sad. Given that the support isn't there yet for rx550 , what about rx460 then ? also may I ask why you'd prefer AMD vga on linux? opencl is a  nice addition, I might need that someday, but that's not priority, thanks again..

#7605 2017-07-27 14:33:42

Lone_Wolf

for ryzen with vga you'll have to wait until amd releases the "Raven Ridge" apu line, though they are likely to have the same driver issue as the RX 500 series.
No idea when Raven Ridge will be available though.

The RX460 would be a good choice for you.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#7606 2017-07-27 14:50:39

skeevy420

reed1 wrote:

Hi skeevy420, thank you very much for your answer. I have to emphasize more that I don't do gaming big_smile intel hd 530 is enough for me, so low end cards should be enough, it's just that there's no VGA on Ryzen. I heard the news about the price also, that's sad. Given that the support isn't there yet for rx550 , what about rx460 then ? also may I ask why you'd prefer AMD vga on linux? opencl is a  nice addition, I might need that someday, but that's not priority, thanks again..

The RX4xx is in the same position as the RX5xx cards (they're both Polaris based GPUs) and they need the same AMD Staging kernel for the time being. I'm doing the 4xx\5xx because a 460 is a 560, 470 a 570, etc; the only difference is the 5xx cards are made with a more refined process, have slightly better power efficiency, and might gain a 1-3 fps boost in games.

The reason I go with AMD on Linux is there are a lot of ways to configure the driver (xorg, R600_DEBUG, driconf), there are multiple 3d drives (amdgpu, radeon) built into the kernel, Gallium Nine supports AMD so I have native Linux DX9 rendering for Wine.  With Nvidia, I'm basically stuck with the Control Panel to configure (though it is good), only have the one 3d driver, the OpenSource driver is kinda crappy, no Gallium Nine.  Feature wise, AMD wins on Linux (IMHO).

Outside of Linux, I'd easily go with Nvidia cards.  AMD has crap support with Solaris and BSD (I'm a ZFS freak) whereas Nvidia provides proprietary drivers.  I love supporting AMD because (since 2010+) they've been very good to the open source Linux community, but that doesn't mean I'd buy an AMD card for an OS that they don't support very well.

I checked on Newegg before posting and I'd recommend "ASUS Radeon RX 550 4G" as the best 4k desktop AMD card without gaming in mind.  It's only $109, which isn't bad at all considering I paid $150 for my "MSI R7 260x 2G".  There are some various 2GB RX550\460\560 which would be great for a 2k or less desktop and 1080p gaming, but 4K really needs all the Vram you can afford to give it.  For Nvidia, any of the 1050 TI's should work well, but they cost $30+ over the AMD cards.

For a simple example, a 1080p wallpaper I have is 448kb, the same wallpaper in 4K is 1.8mb (almost 75% larger), so a bad assumption is a 4K desktop might use 3x the video card ram as a 1080p desktop when rendering the exact same things.....or with a 2GB GPU, a wallpaper alone can possibly use a percentage point of ram usage.

This is a bit of speculation, but I've read rumors over the years that Nvidia artificially limits their GPUs in the driver after so long to encourage people to buy new GPUs for more performance.  AMD on Linux is the exact opposite of that -- you'll only get more performance out of your card as time passes and new drivers come out.  Whether that Nvidia line is true or not, I don't know, but I know for a 100% fact that AMD cards only get better with time (the benefit of having open source drivers and being friendly to the Linux community).

#7607 2017-07-27 15:22:31

skeevy420

Lone_Wolf wrote:

for ryzen with vga you'll have to wait until amd releases the "Raven Ridge" apu line, though they are likely to have the same driver issue as the RX 500 series.
No idea when Raven Ridge will be available though.

The RX460 would be a good choice for you.

The RX460 is selling for way more than MSRP right now.  While I agree with that GPU choice, I can't recommend a person buy a card with that much of a markup.  Right now on Newegg there's a 4GB XFX 460 for $129, all the rest are 2gb cards, and cost way too damn much for what they are (especially that $277 MSI 2GB 460....WTF....).

Based on their specs, the RX460 is a better choice for gaming and the RX550 is a better choice for desktops -- 460 has more stream processors but only supports a max resolution of  4096 x 2160 while the 550 has less stream processors and has a max resolution of 5120 x 2880 -- a multi monitor desktop, non-gamer would benefit from the 550 due to being able to run more monitors where as the gamer would need the 460 for the extra stream processors to play their games faster.

Wait, Wait, Ignore all of that -- There's an ASUS 560 that costs the same as the XFX 460....only it has the more stream processors than everything else listed and matches or exceeds the specs of all the other cards I've mentioned too.  IMHO, this is probably the best AMD card for the money right now for a 4K desktop -- A link to an Asus RX560 on Newegg.

I might be weird for wanting this, but I've always wanted a multi-processor AMD APU based system.  1 -- the thought of buying 1 component and upgrading both the CPU and GPU at once is nice; 2 -- they'd be great for VM's and multi-seat systems; 3 -- well, that's really it....

EDIT: fixed a 560 that should have been 550....

Last edited by skeevy420 (2017-07-27 15:24:27)

#7608 2017-07-29 10:47:34

reed1

Thanks everyone for the answer. I looked at Raven Ridge too, it's ryzen + vega. Vega isn't released yet and they're aiming for mobile first (for ryzen apu) so it's like vega release -> raven ridge mobile -> raven ridge desktop -> proper linux support, so it would take a year perhaps ? big_smile For now, the Rx 5xx series still had problems from what I read, and not listed in supported hardware here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU. I think I'll go with Rx 460 big_smile Thanks again..

#7609 2017-07-29 16:22:17

skeevy420

reed1 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the answer. I looked at Raven Ridge too, it's ryzen + vega. Vega isn't released yet and they're aiming for mobile first (for ryzen apu) so it's like vega release -> raven ridge mobile -> raven ridge desktop -> proper linux support, so it would take a year perhaps ? big_smile For now, the Rx 5xx series still had problems from what I read, and not listed in supported hardware here: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU. I think I'll go with Rx 460 big_smile Thanks again..

With Linux kernel 4.12, which Arch Linux is using now, Polaris 12 cards, the RX500 series cards, are better supported, although you'll still want to use the amd-staging kernel, either from the unofficial repository or self-built, with both the RX460 or RX560....possibly a git version of Mesa for the time being too (haven't really checked on Mesa's status lately).  Since both the 4gb 460 and 560 models cost around the same price depending on where you shop and both require the exact same tweaks to the system (that's the key thing to remember here), IMHO, you might as well go with the RX560.  You're running a 4K system and you'll want all the resources you can give it.

AMD also released some patches a few days ago for the Raven Ridge line that work with 4.13.  We can only hope that AMD is trying to get their next APU and GPU drivers ready to be included in kernel 4.14, the next LTS kernel release.  From what I can tell, AMD is really trying hard to get everything up to the 500 series fully supported\working by 4.14.  Improvements over the past year, especially the past few months, have been phenomenal.

FWIW, back in April on Ubuntu using their 4.10 stock and 4.11 from git without any of the AMD patches, the RX580 was beating the RX480 in gaming benchmarks.  It'll only get better....like the benchmarks in May on Ubuntu using 4.12 and Mesa from git showing the RX560 performing noticeably better than the RX460 and around the same performance as the Nvidia 1050.  Don't think too poorly on a GPU using almost finished drivers that performs better than the previous model and around the same performance as its competing model in the same price point with a proprietary driver (especially since those numbers are all from Ubuntu and most Arch Linux users report better results in the Phoronix comments).

#7610 2017-07-30 06:19:27

reed1

skeevy420 wrote:

Thanks for your thorough explanation, will check that out : )

#7611 2017-07-30 15:32:42

skeevy420

reed1 wrote:
skeevy420 wrote:

Thanks for your thorough explanation, will check that out : )

No problem.  It's hard to keep up with AMD, especially as of late.

Probably the best source for information is Phoronix's comment sections where you can find actual AMD kernel devs posting.  I gotta recommend reading their kernel and GPU benchmark articles from the past few months to get an idea on AMD's status and reading the comments to get first-hand experiences of people using the RX cards.

Good luck.  I hope whatever card you choose works out well for you.

Oh, and AMD released some Vega prices and models in the past 24 hours.  They're all out of my price range sad

#7612 2017-08-01 23:03:26

pawpus

I have an R9 390 AMD Video card and I am having issues trying to get the AMDGPU or AMDGPU-pro working correctly. I initially downgraded xorg to 1.18 and tried to install the AMDGPU-Pro from the AUR and it broke X and just left a small text cursor in the top corner of the screen. I then tried removing AMDGPU-pro package and just install the standard AMDGPU package. Trying to determine where the issue lies exactly. lightdm kind of works but the screen is black with just a mouse cursor.

I can see these error messages in /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
[   271.958] (EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
[   271.988] (EE) AMDGPU(0): eglInitialize() failed
[   271.988] (EE) AMDGPU(0): glamor detected, failed to initialize EGL.

I am running the LTS Kernel

uname -r
4.9.40-1-lts

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

#7613 2017-08-02 12:39:40

Lone_Wolf

Something is wrong with Xorg configuration .

Boot into multi-user.target[1] ,login to console as root .
post[2] lspci -k   , dmesg and most recent xorg log  .

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sy … _boot_into
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Li … in_clients

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#7614 2017-08-03 00:04:41

pawpus

It looks like I was missing some 32 bit dependencies that are required for amdgpu-pro. For some reason the AUR package doesnt pull these in automatically.

This post was able to point me in the right direction:
https://github.com/corngood/archlinux-amdgpu/issues/40

I managed to get LightDM working smile

The issue I have now is when I try installing mesa-noglvnd. Its throwing an error:

configure: error: Direct rendering requires libdrm >= 2.4.75
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
:: failed to build mesa-noglvnd package(s)
pacaur -S libdrm
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
:: libdrm and amdgpu-pro-libdrm are in conflict. Remove amdgpu-pro-libdrm? 

any suggestions?

#7615 2017-08-03 07:54:31

Lone_Wolf

That amdgpu-pro package is weird and lags atleast 2 versions behind.
No idea why it would need lib32 stuff to boot  a system and that thread doesn't show any logs.

Mesa-noglvnd is intended for those wanting to run AMD Catalyst, NOT amdgpu-pro .
Amdgpu-pro replaces / conflicts with many (or all ?) mesa parts. are you sure mesa is needed ?

#7616 2017-08-04 06:59:42

pawpus

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Amdgpu-pro replaces / conflicts with many (or all ?) mesa parts. are you sure mesa is needed ?

Actually I am not sure if i actually need mesa or not. I thought if i installed may have required mesa to get some of the AMD SDK functionality to work.

oclHashcat v2.01 starting...

Generating bitmap tables with 16 bits...

ERROR: ADL_Main_Control_Create() is missing

I think i may need an equivalent package to amd-adl-sdk which is for the catalyst driver. Do you happen to know if there is a similar package for amdgpu-pro?

#7617 2017-08-04 14:52:08

Lone_Wolf

That depends entirely on the functionality it brings, "AMD display library" is a rather generic term.

What / which porgram do you need it for ?

#7618 2017-08-06 22:35:54

pawpus

Lone_Wolf wrote:

What / which program do you need it for ?

I am trying to use a program called hashcat/oclhashcat and it looks like it requires some of the AMD SDK in order to offload the hash calculations to the GPU.

#7619 2017-08-07 14:12:03

Lone_Wolf

Is that https://hashcat.net/hashcat/ ?

hashcat cpu requirements wrote:

AMD GPUs on Linux require "AMDGPU-PRO Driver" (16.40 or later)

You can either use amdgpu-pro (successor of catalyst, requires older X) or the amd open source driver with opencl-amd .
Both are in AUR.

#7620 2017-08-07 22:46:42

pawpus

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You can either use amdgpu-pro (successor of catalyst, requires older X) or the amd open source driver with opencl-amd .
Both are in AUR

I believe I am already running the amdgpu-pro package.

pacaur -Ss amdgpu-pro
aur/opencl-amd 17.30.458935-2 (20, 4.87)
    OpenCL userspace driver as provided in the amdgpu-pro driver stack. This package is intended to work along with the free amdgpu stack.
aur/amdgpu-pro 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro driver package
aur/amdgpu-pro-dkms 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    amdgpu-pro driver in DKMS format.
aur/amdgpu-pro-libdrm 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro userspace interface to kernel DRM services
aur/amdgpu-pro-libgl 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro libgl library symlinks
aur/amdgpu-pro-opencl 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro OpenCL implementation
aur/amdgpu-pro-vdpau 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro VDPAU driver
aur/amdgpu-pro-vulkan 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro Vulkan driver
aur/lib32-amdgpu-pro 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    Meta package to install amdgpu Pro components. (32bit libraries)
aur/lib32-amdgpu-pro-libdrm 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro userspace interface to kernel DRM services (32bit libraries)
aur/lib32-amdgpu-pro-libgl 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro libgl library symlinks (32bit libraries)
aur/lib32-amdgpu-pro-opencl 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro OpenCL implementation
aur/lib32-amdgpu-pro-vdpau 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro VDPAU driver (32bit libraries)
aur/lib32-amdgpu-pro-vulkan 17.10.401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro Vulkan driver (32bit libraries)
aur/xf86-video-amdgpu-pro 17.10.am running the package from the AUR, unless for some reason it 401251-2 (54, 2.07) [installed]
    The AMDGPU Pro X.org video driver
aur/cogl-amdgpu-pro 1.22.2-1 (1, 0.00)
    cogl with support for amdgpu-pro

Below is the output from lspci -k. It shows I am running the amdgpu (not pro) but i assume thats the driver just running the open source component of the driver.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Hawaii PRO [Radeon R9 290/390] (rev 80)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. STRIX R9 390
    Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
    Kernel modules: radeon, amdgpu

#7621 2017-08-08 12:28:37

Lone_Wolf

Afaik the amdgpu-pro kernel module is also called amdgpu and AMD intends to end up with one amdgpu kerneol module that can be used by both open source and proprietary driver.

Opencl-amd is intended to work with the opensource driver, having both opencal-amd and amdgpu-pro-opencl may very well confuse hashcat .
Try removing opencl-amd , then post the output of clinfo .

#7622 2017-08-08 22:04:48

pawpus

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Opencl-amd is intended to work with the opensource driver, having both opencal-amd and amdgpu-pro-opencl may very well confuse hashcat .
Try removing opencl-amd , then post the output of clinfo

opencl-amd doesnt appear to be installed on my system. I should have filtered the output of pacaur -Ss to only show installed components.

clinfo output:

Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
  Platform Vendor                                 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 2.0 AMD-APP (2348.3)
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_icd cl_amd_event_callback cl_amd_offline_devices 
  Platform Extensions function suffix             AMD

Platform Name                                   AMD Accelerated Parallel Processing
Number of devices                                 2
  Device Name                                     Hawaii
  Device Vendor                                   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
  Device Vendor ID                                0x1002
  Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2348.3)
  Driver Version                                  2348.3
  Device OpenCL C Version                         OpenCL C 1.2 
  Device Type                                     GPU
  Device Available                                Yes
  Device Profile                                  FULL_PROFILE
  Device Board Name (AMD)                         AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series
  Device Topology (AMD)                           PCI-E, 01:00.0
  Max compute units                               40
  SIMD per compute unit (AMD)                     4
  SIMD width (AMD)                                16
  SIMD instruction width (AMD)                    1
  Max clock frequency                             1050MHz
  Graphics IP (AMD)                               7.2
  Device Partition                                (core)
    Max number of sub-devices                     40
    Supported partition types                     none specified
  Max work item dimensions                        3
  Max work item sizes                             256x256x256
  Max work group size                             256
  Compiler Available                              Yes
  Linker Available                                Yes
  Preferred work group size multiple              64
  Wavefront width (AMD)                           64
  Preferred / native vector sizes                 
    char                                                 4 / 4       
    short                                                2 / 2       
    int                                                  1 / 1       
    long                                                 1 / 1       
    half                                                 1 / 1        (n/a)
    float                                                1 / 1       
    double                                               1 / 1        (cl_khr_fp64)
  Half-precision Floating-point support           (n/a)
  Single-precision Floating-point support         (core)
    Denormals                                     No
    Infinity and NANs                             Yes
    Round to nearest                              Yes
    Round to zero                                 Yes
    Round to infinity                             Yes
    IEEE754-2008 fused multiply-add               Yes
    Support is emulated in software               No
    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  Yes
  Double-precision Floating-point support         (cl_khr_fp64)
    Denormals                                     Yes
    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  No
  Address bits                                    64, Little-Endian
  Global memory size                              5321302016 (4.956GiB)
  Global free memory (AMD)                        5172200 (4.933GiB)
  Global memory channels (AMD)                    16
  Global memory banks per channel (AMD)           16
  Global memory bank width (AMD)                  256 bytes
  Error Correction support                        No
  Max memory allocation                           3919712256 (3.651GiB)
  Unified memory for Host and Device              No
  Minimum alignment for any data type             128 bytes
  Alignment of base address                       2048 bits (256 bytes)
  Global Memory cache type                        Read/Write
  Global Memory cache size                        16384 (16KiB)
  Global Memory cache line                        64 bytes
  Image support                                   Yes
    Max number of samplers per kernel             16
    Max size for 1D images from buffer            134217728 pixels
    Max 1D or 2D image array size                 2048 images
    Base address alignment for 2D image buffers   256 bytes
    Pitch alignment for 2D image buffers          256 bytes
    Max 2D image size                             16384x16384 pixels
    Max 3D image size                             2048x2048x2048 pixels
    Max number of read image args                 128
    Max number of write image args                8
  Local memory type                               Local
  Local memory size                               32768 (32KiB)
  Local memory syze per CU (AMD)                  65536 (64KiB)
  Local memory banks (AMD)                        32
  Max constant buffer size                        3919712256 (3.651GiB)
  Max number of constant args                     8
  Max size of kernel argument                     1024
  Queue properties                                
    Out-of-order execution                        No
    Profiling                                     Yes
  Prefer user sync for interop                    Yes
  Profiling timer resolution                      1ns
  Profiling timer offset since Epoch (AMD)        1501742708408932481ns (Thu Aug  3 16:45:08 2017)
  Execution capabilities                          
    Run OpenCL kernels                            Yes
    Run native kernels                            No
    Thread trace supported (AMD)                  Yes
    SPIR versions                                 1.2
  printf() buffer size                            1048576 (1024KiB)
  Built-in kernels                                
  Device Extensions                               cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_image2d_from_buffer cl_khr_spir cl_khr_gl_event 

Device Name                                     Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
  Device Vendor                                   GenuineIntel
  Device Vendor ID                                0x1002
  Device Version                                  OpenCL 1.2 AMD-APP (2348.3)
  Driver Version                                  2348.3 (sse2,avx)
  Device OpenCL C Version                         OpenCL C 1.2 
  Device Type                                     CPU
  Device Available                                Yes
  Device Profile                                  FULL_PROFILE
  Device Board Name (AMD)                         
  Device Topology (AMD)                           (n/a)
  Max compute units                               4
  Max clock frequency                             899MHz
  Device Partition                                (core, cl_ext_device_fission)
    Max number of sub-devices                     4
    Supported partition types                     equally, by counts, by affinity domain
    Supported affinity domains                    L3 cache, L2 cache, L1 cache, next partitionable
    Supported partition types (ext)               equally, by counts, by affinity domain
    Supported affinity domains (ext)              L3 cache, L2 cache, L1 cache, next fissionable
  Max work item dimensions                        3
  Max work item sizes                             1024x1024x1024
  Max work group size                             1024
  Compiler Available                              Yes
  Linker Available                                Yes
  Preferred work group size multiple              1
  Preferred / native vector sizes                 
    char                                                16 / 16      
    short                                                8 / 8       
    int                                                  4 / 4       
    long                                                 2 / 2       
    half                                                 4 / 4        (n/a)
    float                                                8 / 8       
    double                                               4 / 4        (cl_khr_fp64)
  Half-precision Floating-point support           (n/a)
  Single-precision Floating-point support         (core)
    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  Yes
  Double-precision Floating-point support         (cl_khr_fp64)
    Correctly-rounded divide and sqrt operations  No
  Address bits                                    64, Little-Endian
  Global memory size                              16782987264 (15.63GiB)
  Error Correction support                        No
  Max memory allocation                           4195746816 (3.908GiB)
  Unified memory for Host and Device              Yes
  Minimum alignment for any data type             128 bytes
  Alignment of base address                       1024 bits (128 bytes)
  Global Memory cache type                        Read/Write
  Global Memory cache size                        32768 (32KiB)
  Global Memory cache line                        64 bytes
  Image support                                   Yes
    Max number of samplers per kernel             16
    Max size for 1D images from buffer            65536 pixels
    Max 1D or 2D image array size                 2048 images
    Max 2D image size                             8192x8192 pixels
    Max 3D image size                             2048x2048x2048 pixels
    Max number of read image args                 128
    Max number of write image args                64
  Local memory type                               Global
  Local memory size                               32768 (32KiB)
  Max constant buffer size                        65536 (64KiB)
  Max number of constant args                     8
  Max size of kernel argument                     4096 (4KiB)
  Queue properties                                
    Out-of-order execution                        No
    Profiling                                     Yes
  Prefer user sync for interop                    Yes
  Profiling timer resolution                      1ns
  Profiling timer offset since Epoch (AMD)        1501742708408932481ns (Thu Aug  3 16:45:08 2017)
  Execution capabilities                          
    Run OpenCL kernels                            Yes
    Run native kernels                            Yes
    SPIR versions                                 1.2
  printf() buffer size                            65536 (64KiB)
  Built-in kernels                                
  Device Extensions                               cl_khr_fp64 cl_amd_fp64 cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics cl_khr_int64_base_atomics cl_khr_int64_extended_atomics cl_khr_3d_image_writes cl_khr_byte_addressable_store cl_khr_gl_sharing cl_ext_device_fission cl_amd_device_attribute_query cl_amd_vec3 cl_amd_printf cl_amd_media_ops cl_amd_media_ops2 cl_amd_popcnt cl_khr_spir cl_khr_gl_event 

NULL platform behavior
  clGetPlatformInfo(NULL, CL_PLATFORM_NAME, ...)  No platform
  clGetDeviceIDs(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, ...)   No platform
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [default]            No platform
  clCreateContext(NULL, ...) [other]              Success [AMD]
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CPU)  No platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_GPU)  No platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR)  No platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_CUSTOM)  No platform
  clCreateContextFromType(NULL, CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL)  No platform

#7623 2017-08-09 11:21:03

Lone_Wolf

Opencl support looks to be ok.

output of pacman -Qi hashcat and uname -a please

#7624 2017-08-09 23:04:10

pawpus

Lone_Wolf wrote:

output of pacman -Qi hashcat and uname -a please

Hopefully its just something simple that I have overlooked.

pacman -Qi hashcat

Name            : hashcat
Version         : 1:3.6.0-1
Description     : Multithreaded advanced password recovery utility
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : https://hashcat.net/hashcat
Licenses        : MIT
Groups          : None
Provides        : None
Depends On      : opencl-icd-loader
Optional Deps   : libxnvctrl: NVIDIA X driver configuration support
Required By     : crackhor  crackserver  doozer
Optional For    : airgeddon
Conflicts With  : None
Replaces        : None
Installed Size  : 52.77 MiB
Packager        : Levente Polyak <anthraxx@archlinux.org>
Build Date      : Thu 13 Jul 2017 05:25:51 AEST
Install Date    : Fri 21 Jul 2017 11:40:11 AEST
Install Reason  : Explicitly installed
Install Script  : No
Validated By    : Signature

uname -a

Linux Arch 4.9.40-1-lts #1 SMP Fri Jul 28 21:45:40 CEST 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Thanks again for all your help so far

#7625 2017-08-09 23:32:39

pawpus

pacman -Qi oclhashcat

Name            : oclhashcat
Version         : 1:2.01-1
Description     : Worlds fastest WPA cracker with dictionary mutation engine.
Architecture    : x86_64
URL             : http://hashcat.net/oclhashcat/
Licenses        : custom
Groups          : blackarch  blackarch-cracker
Provides        : None
Depends On      : None
Optional Deps   : nvidia-utils>=319.37: For for gpu support via Nvidia CUDA
                  catalyst-utils>=13.4: For gpu support via ATI Stream
                  opencl-catalyst: For gpu support via ATI Stream
Required By     : None
Optional For    : None
Conflicts With  : None