Warper4

Re: The AMD/ATI Bar & Grill

Thank you very much, Vi0l0

#1252 2010-02-10 00:17:50

Infin1ty

Vi0L0 wrote:
Infin1ty wrote:

Well, i'm using the ready package with the maximized catalyst fix (the fedora dont back fill patch) but this package has a version of xorg that causes memory leak (i remember it from ubuntu, the other version 1.6.4+ is better, but it seems as i have problems compiling 1.6.4 myself (i changed the PKGBUILd from abs), anyone knows what's the best way of compiling the old xorg-server myself? anyone can post the PKGBUILD of the already compiled old package in here?
thanks.

Have you red my note on http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=26687 ? which tells:

@ moimael: yes, xserver will work with libs from xorg 7.5, but it's impossible to compile xserver 1.6.x if you are using newest Xorg packages. libxext is first lib that you must to downgrade if you want to compile xserver 1.6.x, but not last, you must to downgrade a whole bunch of libs. Also the newest xorg packages got different files inside, for example file a was in lib package called b, now file a is in lib package c, and in lib package b there are some other files. Thats why it's preety hard to tell how much packages you must to downgrade, and which ones exactly.
But I could be wrong, maybe theres some simple way smile

Have you downgraded "tons" of packages before compiling?

and i wonder what is the "tons" of packages?
as of right now i'm using the opensource drivers, if i go and use the one from the aur (catalyst) with that xorg-server i get an awfull memory leaks, i should get 1.6.4+, i tried to compile but i guess i'm not removing all those packages, what are those "tons" packages?
thanks.

#1253 2010-02-10 00:22:29

yodo

Hey, I'm sorry if this was answered before, but I don't want to read 51 pages... roll
My last AMD/ATI card was a X700Pro a few years ago, so catalyst is totally new for me.
I read the wiki, which says that catalyst does not work with xorg-server > 1.7 atm. This is of course still up to date, right? PKGBUILD still has that dependency.

Is there no way to install catalyst without downgrading "tons" of packages? How should I get started doing that?

Last edited by yodo (2010-02-10 00:23:28)

#1254 2010-02-10 00:50:13

Vi0L0
Website

Infin1ty wrote:

as of right now i'm using the opensource drivers, if i go and use the one from the aur (catalyst) with that xorg-server i get an awful memory leaks, i should get 1.6.4+, i tried to compile but i guess i'm not removing all those packages, what are those "tons" packages?
thanks.

well... i'm not sure how many packages you need to downgrade... i was trying to do this some time ago, but it was soo time consuming... there was a mess and file changes in libs, i often used pacman -Qo just to check what file was in what package, cuz after update it's in another... mess mess mess... messy mess... maybe you need to donwgrade all of this list (maybe less, maybe more):

libxt libxinerama xorg-xkb-utils libdrm libxfontcache libx11 libxfixes \
libxcomposite libxdamage libxdmcp libxi libdmx libxext libx11 xextproto libxxf86dga libxmu libxpm renderproto libxrender \
libxres libxxf86misc libx xf86vm mesa libxtst libxvmc xorg-font-utils libgl  libxfont libpciaccess  libxv pixman \
xcursor-themes xkeyboard-config xorg-server-utils xorg-fonts-misc xbitmaps xf86-input-evdev inputproto libxcursor \
libxkbfile libpng  libxft  libfontenc  libxaw xorg-apps xf86-video-vesa xf86-input-evdev xorg xorg-server

there was even a list some day http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 80#p647280
anyway you need packages in versions from time when xorg-server 1.6.x was current/actual.
first try to download libxext and downgrade it, see whats hapening... try to compile... check what file is doing mess...
try to find in what package that file is... and so on...
i very wish you luck smile
anyway if in some way you will compile this - please give us to know what packages you have downgraded. This will be very usefull

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2010-02-10 00:51:57)

#1255 2010-02-10 00:53:28

Vi0L0
Website

yodo wrote:

Hey, I'm sorry if this was answered before, but I don't want to read 51 pages... roll
My last AMD/ATI card was a X700Pro a few years ago, so catalyst is totally new for me.
I read the wiki, which says that catalyst does not work with xorg-server > 1.7 atm. This is of course still up to date, right? PKGBUILD still has that dependency.

Is there no way to install catalyst without downgrading "tons" of packages? How should I get started doing that?

it's pretty easy:

Comment by: baghera on Sun, 07 Feb 2010 17:19:59 +0000

Just a hint about downgrade: outdated packages on my system are
    xorg-server 1.6.3.901-1
    xf86-input-evdev 2.2.5-1
    xf86-input-synaptics 1.1.3-1
    Everything works like a charm with x11 libs from xorg 7.5 and these three old packages.

I've just added this repo on top of [core] and installed those three packages.
    [xorg-1.6.3.901]
    Server = http://www.chakra-project.org/repo/xorg-old/x86_64

theres also i686 repo http://www.chakra-project.org/repo/xorg-old/i686/

also if you are using those packages:
xf86-input-keyboard
xf86-input-mouse
xf86-video-vesa
dont forget to downgrade them also (from repo)
BUT AFAIK pacman will downgade all needed packages for you if you only put this repo above [core] in /etc/pacman.conf

if you dont like speed of xorg-server package, try this
http://www.mediafire.com/file/vj2zyyghx … pkg.tar.gz
or this http://www.mediafire.com/?n0mmmtzmgmd (xorg-server-catalyst-maximize-fix-1.6.3.901-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.gz)

Last edited by Vi0L0 (2010-02-10 00:58:29)

#1256 2010-02-10 07:00:24

handy

I don't need to do this stuff, BUT, I do need to thank you once again ViOLO, for the huge assistance that you provide for us.

You have saved me many hours of work in the past due to your conscientious generosity. Which is a very cool thing. smile

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#1257 2010-02-10 07:52:27

agapito

I have all xorg packages from extra, except: xf86-input-evdev-2.3.2-1-x86_64.pkg and xorg-server-1.6.3.901-1-x86_64.pkg. All is working fine here with HD 5770.

Excuse my poor English.

#1258 2010-02-10 09:22:25

Infin1ty

Vi0L0 wrote:
Infin1ty wrote:

as of right now i'm using the opensource drivers, if i go and use the one from the aur (catalyst) with that xorg-server i get an awful memory leaks, i should get 1.6.4+, i tried to compile but i guess i'm not removing all those packages, what are those "tons" packages?
thanks.

well... i'm not sure how many packages you need to downgrade... i was trying to do this some time ago, but it was soo time consuming... there was a mess and file changes in libs, i often used pacman -Qo just to check what file was in what package, cuz after update it's in another... mess mess mess... messy mess... maybe you need to donwgrade all of this list (maybe less, maybe more):

libxt libxinerama xorg-xkb-utils libdrm libxfontcache libx11 libxfixes \
libxcomposite libxdamage libxdmcp libxi libdmx libxext libx11 xextproto libxxf86dga libxmu libxpm renderproto libxrender \
libxres libxxf86misc libx xf86vm mesa libxtst libxvmc xorg-font-utils libgl  libxfont libpciaccess  libxv pixman \
xcursor-themes xkeyboard-config xorg-server-utils xorg-fonts-misc xbitmaps xf86-input-evdev inputproto libxcursor \
libxkbfile libpng  libxft  libfontenc  libxaw xorg-apps xf86-video-vesa xf86-input-evdev xorg xorg-server

there was even a list some day http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 80#p647280
anyway you need packages in versions from time when xorg-server 1.6.x was current/actual.
first try to download libxext and downgrade it, see whats hapening... try to compile... check what file is doing mess...
try to find in what package that file is... and so on...
i very wish you luck smile
anyway if in some way you will compile this - please give us to know what packages you have downgraded. This will be very usefull

I think i will do that over the weekend (which is soon smile)

if i get it right, while compiling xorg-server everytime i get an error which relates to some header file (for example panoramiXext.h which is owned by libxinerama 1.1-1) i need to downgrade that package so it will be equal to the xorg-server version release?
i think my best option will take my working ubuntu system and build the same version of libraries, just for arch.

i will sure keep you guys updated of what packages i have downgraded, i know it might be time consuming, but the opensource drivers are really bad for me and i can't use xorg-server 1.6.3 (since i get huge memory leaks), so it's a must smile

what i'm really happy is that i installed arch on LVM so i will just take a snapshot of my root system and do all the testing over there and write down every package i have downgraded.

thanks!!!

#1259 2010-02-10 13:09:31

BRS

Hi, I recently bought a laptop with a mobility radeon 4530, the thing is, the battery only lasts about one hour with the catalyst drivers (compiled from AUR, 10.1-4) and the card gets very hot, even if the computer its only idling at desktop, so I assume poweplay is not working at all.
In fact, the powerplay option doesen't appears in the amdcccle menu, and "aticonfig --list-powerstates" returns "aticonfig: unrecognized option '--list-powerstates' ". 
I tried the opensource drivers, and the time the battery lasts is about two hours, so there is definitively something wrong with my catalyst setup.
Somebody else has the same issue with this card?

#1260 2010-02-10 21:57:40

Infin1ty

BRS wrote:

Hi, I recently bought a laptop with a mobility radeon 4530, the thing is, the battery only lasts about one hour with the catalyst drivers (compiled from AUR, 10.1-4) and the card gets very hot, even if the computer its only idling at desktop, so I assume poweplay is not working at all.
In fact, the powerplay option doesen't appears in the amdcccle menu, and "aticonfig --list-powerstates" returns "aticonfig: unrecognized option '--list-powerstates' ". 
I tried the opensource drivers, and the time the battery lasts is about two hours, so there is definitively something wrong with my catalyst setup.
Somebody else has the same issue with this card?

i have to opposite from you, when using the fglrx module (catalyst driver) everything works fine but right now with arch if i want to use the fglrx (catalyst) i have to downgrade my xorg to 1.6.3 which causes huge memory leaks on my system so i went back to the opensource drivers, the opensource drivers gives me high temp and reduce my battery usage from around 3hours with fglrx to like 1:45 with them.
i dont really care right now about the battery as my i always take an ac adapter with me but the heating really scares me and sometimes i just shutdown my laptop when i go to sleep.

#1261 2010-02-11 00:22:13

Apollo Costa

Have anyone composite enable with fglrx? How does it work?

if i use it became many lags in 2D

#1262 2010-02-11 01:11:47

Infin1ty

Apollo Costa wrote:

Have anyone composite enable with fglrx? How does it work?

if i use it became many lags in 2D

I used it right before switching to the opensource drivers, i actually feel the fglrx (catalyst) is better, too bad it does not support xorg>1.7.
by lags, what do you mean? there's a patch that need to be applied the xorg server (the "dont back fill" patch)  which fixes some issues with maximizing/resizing/etc.. windows (those really lags without this patch), which xorg do you have?
also, it could be that your xorg.conf needs some tweaking.

#1263 2010-02-11 09:01:55

Apollo Costa

If i resize, minimize or maximize a window it takes over >5 sec.. It can't be normal. If i turn composite off it run normal. 

xorg-server 1.6 and my xorg.conf:

ection "ServerLayout"
    Identifier      "X.org Configured"
    Screen          "Screen"
        Option      "StandbyTime"   "0"
        Option      "SuspendTime"   "5"
        Option      "OffTime"       "10"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "0-DFP4"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
        Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
        Option      "Disable" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier  "0-DFP3"
        Option      "VendorName" "ATI Proprietary Driver"
        Option      "ModelName" "Generic Autodetecting Monitor"
        Option      "DPMS" "true"
        Option      "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
        Option      "TargetRefresh" "60"
    Option      "Position" "0 0"
        Option      "Rotate" "normal"
        Option      "Disable" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Card0"
    Driver      "fglrx"
    VendorName  "ATI"
    BoardName   "ATI 5770"
    Option      "Monitor-DFP4" "0-DFP4"
    Option      "Monitor-DFP3" "0-DFP3"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen"
    Device         "Card0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection     "Display"
    Viewport    0 0
        Depth       24
        Virtual     3360 1050
    EndSubSection
EndSection

#1264 2010-02-11 09:03:55

snack

Apollo Costa wrote:

If i resize, minimize or maximize a window it takes over >5 sec.. It can't be normal. If i turn composite off it run normal.

Try xorg-server-catalyst-maximize-fix in AUR.

#1265 2010-02-11 09:48:37

Apollo Costa

I have try it but i have no mous and no keyboard if i start xorg.

i take the packe from Vi0L0 i think he has build it without hal

if i build it for my self i crash like RaNaN in AUR
#############
ok it works, i have restore a old backup and install the fix. thx

Last edited by Apollo Costa (2010-02-11 10:40:04)

#1266 2010-02-12 05:19:52

hunterthomson
Website

Arg... I got my new Alienware M15x with nVidia geforce 240M GT w/ 1GB video RAM....
Now I am back to a proprietary driver that is just as crapy as Catalyst.... Flash video is worse on this card then my 3650 ATI 256MB video RAM card wtih Catalyst. So, don't feel bad about your ATI card nVidia sucks just as bad but it is easier to install. All Proprietary drivers are completly worthless. I am inches away from just using the Nouveau driver and forgeting about the 3D. (I just don't want to do that becuase this laptop has Super Good graphics it just the driver.)

On the bright side, my i7-720QM is blazing fast and my WLED 1920x1080 15" LCD is amazing smile
The whole laptop is Plug & Play with Linux. No problems at all.

I guess that is Aloha to ATI for me though. Good Luck big_smile

Last edited by hunterthomson (2010-02-12 07:23:06)

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

#1267 2010-02-12 08:35:12

timong
Website

That's interesting hunterthomson. I'm getting the impression that the race at the linux blob drivers are evening out somehow. I was owning 3 nvidia cards in line and i was generally satisfied with the linux experience. I wasn't aware of the catalyst driver's improvements till I purchased the ATi based laptop of mine (hd 5670 mobility). I had headaches with the downgrade and the manual xorg.conf, but after that now i'm quite impressed that I have really few troubles with the card...running compiz and games - at the same speed as under Windows. So I was kindof doing the change in the reverse direction smile And overall I'm surprised positively. Hope to see the udv2/va-api fixed soon. Best luck with your monster notebook! big_smile

2x arch amd64, one with Intel GP GMA965, one with ATi Mobility HD 5650

#1268 2010-02-12 08:35:19

snack

hunterthomson wrote:

Arg... I got my new Alienware M15x with nVidia geforce 240M GT w/ 1GB video RAM....
Now I am back to a proprietary driver that is just as crapy as Catalyst.... Flash video is worse on this card then my 3650 ATI 256MB video RAM card wtih Catalyst. So, don't feel bad about your ATI card nVidia sucks just as bad but it is easier to install. All Proprietary drivers are completly worthless. I am inches away from just using the Nouveau driver and forgeting about the 3D. (I just don't want to do that becuase this laptop has Super Good graphics it just the driver.)

On the bright side, my i7-720QM is blazing fast and my WLED 1920x1080 15" LCD is amazing smile

At least Nvidia has decent support for all the latest xorg, kernel and so on... on a rolling release like Arch this is important, and it's also the reason why Catalyst was removed from the official repository.

#1269 2010-02-12 08:41:06

flamelab

hunterthomson wrote:

Nvidia driver equal or WORSE to catalyst ?

Are you out of your mind ? The Nvidia drivers are lightyears far better than catalyst and nouveau.

And Flash is not Nvidia's or catalyst's problem, it's huge problem itself.

Last edited by flamelab (2010-02-12 08:41:30)

#1270 2010-02-12 09:55:41

agapito

Except latest Xorg support, catalyst are acceptable in my opinion. I have an 5770 and i am satisfied. No crashes, no lock ups and kwin effects are smooth. I can t say the same thing of my old graphic card an intel crappy GMA950 (open source drivers)

I don't play games on linux (have a win partition) so catalyst seems good for me. I don't know why they have bad fame.

BTW wich video output is better for catalyst? I am using mplayer, xv or opengl?

Last edited by agapito (2010-02-12 10:11:50)

Excuse my poor English.

#1271 2010-02-12 10:07:06

flamelab

They have bad fame because they haven't advanced for almost 2+ years (only some newer OpenGL and newer devices' support), because they are always late for newer Linux kernels and Xorg, because the driver has a huge problem on resizing windows and generally composting, because it has huge problem on backlighting, no UVD/UVD2 support on stable packages, no HD acceleration, crappy mobile cards' support, occasional problems with SMP kernels (that means 99,9% of linux kernels out there) which need patches.

And so many more.

So it's not "acceptable". xf86-video-ati is acceptable, under many conditions.

#1272 2010-02-12 10:07:36

snack

agapito wrote:

Except latest Xorg support, catalyst are acceptable in my opinion. I have an 5770 and i am satisfied. No crashes, no look-ups and kwin effects are smooth. I can t say the same thing of my old graphic card an intel crappy GMA950 (open source drivers)

I don't play games on linux (have a win partition) so catalyst seems good for me. I don't know why they have bad fame.

BTW wich video output is better for catalyst? I am using mplayer, xv or opengl?

Also in my opinion the performance of Catalyst are good, or at least acceptable. But I hate to fear that at any xorg or kernel upgrade I could remain stuck out of KDE. I have a desktop PC with an Nvidia card, it seems a paradise compared to my laptop with an Ati card.

@fkamelab: Catalyst on my Mobility Radeon HD 3470 works well. At least, some versions work well, in fact I'm still with 9.10, and I won't upgrade since Catalyst gets in sync with the latest xorg-server.

Last edited by snack (2010-02-12 10:10:38)

#1273 2010-02-12 10:10:48

timong
Website

any of the 2 will do, if you dont have tearings. (I dont have tearing on hd5650 with the 10.1 catalyst with XV).

About the gaming with the catalyst, in my experience it's not so bad even with the mobile card. I'm playing the native 32 bit games on amd64 (including neverwinter nights 1, penumbra series, and other non 32 bit games, jclassicrpg, warzone 2100). No problems so far. Decent speed, comparable to the Windows speed where i had the possibility to compare. (Well, frankly one major issue is that vsync is screwing it while compiz enabled, but using 'su - login' cleans the environment of vsync and games run fine under compiz window management that way.)

Last edited by timong (2010-02-12 10:13:26)

#1274 2010-02-12 10:18:03

agapito

I only have one problem. With kwin effects on and watching videos when i resize or move smplayer window the image stops!

Excuse my poor English.

#1275 2010-02-12 10:26:56

timong
Website

agapito wrote:

I only have one problem. With kwin effects on and watching videos when i resize or move smplayer window the image stops!

And which of the modes are you using? GL, XV, SDL?

Board footer