#27 2009-12-22 18:12:00

Mammut

Re: Run a game in a new X server?

The is a program called Xgame that can do what you want

Below is the text from the link:

http://howto.landure.fr/gnu-linux/ubunt … eisty-fawn

Xgame on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn
by Pierre-Yves Landuré — last modified 2007-08-07 13:52
Xgame is a script that allow to run games in a X configuration different of the one you use for your desktop. On my own, i use it to switch between my 4 screen desktop and my 1 screen gaming configuration on a SLI of GeForce 8800 GTX big_smile This work great and allow you to take full advantage of your GPUs.

Installation and Setup

We first allow our account to lauch a X session :

sudo sed -i -e "s/\(allowed_users=\).*/\1anybody/" \            /etc/X11/Xwrapper.configWe configure Xauth to see the second X session:

echo "list" | xauth | grep localhost | sed -e "s/.*[ \t]\(.*\)$/add :1.0 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 \1/" > /tmp/xauth.minecat /tmp/xauth.mine | xauthWe copy our usual X configuration file :

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg_games.confYou can now edit it to fit your gaming needs :

sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg_games.confThen, download Xgame and set its executable bit :

# GUI version installwget --output-document=/tmp/xgame-gtk2 http://www.xs4all.nl/~masterpe/Perl/xgame-gtk2sudo cp /tmp/xgame-gtk2 /usr/bin/xgame-gtk2sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/xgame-gtk2# Shell version installwget --output-document=/tmp/xgame http://www.xs4all.nl/~masterpe/Perl/xgamesudo cp /tmp/xgame /usr/bin/xgamesudo chmod +x /usr/bin/xgameYou can now lauch Xgame with this command line :

xgame-gtk2Go into the setup, and set the "X config file" entry to xorg_games.conf. I've still some issues with Wine games, but it work well for most of them. Have a nice game ;D

An icon on the Desktop
Run the following command line to add a X-Game incon on your desktop :

echo "[Desktop Entry]Encoding=UTF-8Version=1.0Type=ApplicationExec=xgame-gtk2TryExec=Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/gnome-xterm.pngX-GNOME-DocPath=Terminal=falseName[fr_FR]=X-GameGenericName[fr_FR]=Comment[fr_FR]=Name=X-GameGenericName=Comment=" > ~/Desktop/X-Game.desktopWine
Wine can not be used as-is with Xgame because it lauch a background process and then stop. You need to make Wine "persistent". In order to achieve this goal, we will use a script  that stop only at the wineserver process disappearance. Run the following command lines to create this script :

sudo sh -c "echo \"#\!/bin/bashwine \\\"\\\$@\\\"while [ -n \\\"\\\`ps ax | egrep -v grep | egrep wineserver | sed -e 's/[ ]*\(\d*\)[\t ]*?.*/\1/'\\\`\\\" ]; do  sleep 1s;done\" \    > /usr/bin/p-wine"sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/p-wineYou can now use your Windows games within Xgame if you replace wine by p-wine in your command lines. The behavior of the two scripts is the same, excluding the fact that p-wine stop only after you quit the game.

Sound Issues on intrepid
Posted by mikeym at 2009-01-21 19:05
It appears that on Intrepid you need to add a start up option to get sound. Try:

ck-launch-session

P.S.

Congratulations on the script!

Board footer