You are not logged in.

#26 2008-10-28 20:18:06

Square

Re: How to use Tiling Wm's

Might I suggest ion3?
Out of all the tiling WMs I've used... I do believe I like ion3 the best. The tabbed-tiling method is just wonderful.

#27 2008-10-28 20:28:41

Ranguvar

I think a lot of people will refuse to use Ion3 on principal alone... the author, Tuomov, is now an anti-F/LOSS activist, the license for Ion3 is semi-free, and he has said all his future endeavors will be closed-source, likely for Windows.

The guy is without a doubt very smart, and presents some valid criticisms of both free software and the philosophy behind it. If only he presented them better to everyone.

#28 2008-10-28 20:42:01

Intrepid

Really, I've used all of the window managers mentioned.  Personally, I find that awesome gains more and more features.  I especially love the minimalist bar on the screen with the tray.  However, I think a combination between awesome's layouts and bar, wmii's dynamic window sizes (i.e. tiled windows have different sizes) and ion's tabbing would be perfect.

My advice for people like SomeGuyDude is to follow Cinan's example.  I have a tag called web and some others.  I put a filemanager and a terminal on one, my favorite games on another, and a movie on another.  Suppose I want to do web browsing and play games.  I simply select both the web and games tags.  Back to work?  I select the work tag.  This is an efficient way of organization imo.

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#29 2008-10-29 00:28:08

cardinals_fan

pauldonnelly wrote:

That was pretty confusing until I realized that by TWM you didn't mean twm.

Hence the caps.  I've used twm for a week - it was a long week smile

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Board footer