You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-16 22:02:41

Weird Fishes

Re: MacBook Aluminum

I have yet to try the new kernel. Would really like to though. I need to resolve some dependency issues first though. I have yet to get speakers working, but I did get the headphone out to work. (It does emit a red light from that port though... odd, but not alarming). I'm going to try to get the new kernel tonight. I'm using 64 bit arch too, btw.

EDIT: I got the mouse to work, mostly, but the pointer doesn't actually show a pointer... it moves and I can click and everything, but there is no cursor image. Also, I had to remove the broadcom driver to get the new kernel to install. How did you get around this?

Last edited by Weird Fishes (2009-06-17 00:19:24)

#27 2009-06-18 23:06:24

FALK

Weird Fishes wrote:

I have yet to try the new kernel. Would really like to though. I need to resolve some dependency issues first though. I have yet to get speakers working, but I did get the headphone out to work. (It does emit a red light from that port though... odd, but not alarming). I'm going to try to get the new kernel tonight. I'm using 64 bit arch too, btw.

Have a look at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac … inum#Sound and maybe http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Macbook

#28 2009-06-19 00:10:22

Weird Fishes

FALK wrote:
Weird Fishes wrote:

Have a look at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mac … inum#Sound and maybe http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Macbook

I've read both. Multiple times big_smiletongue.

#29 2009-06-19 03:17:48

snoblo

when the 2.6.30 kernel comes out of testing i'll probably go take a look at it smile
can anyone confirm that the new kernel works well with it?

pacman is hungry today
My webcomic series about lonely programmers smile

#30 2009-06-19 07:50:19

inukshuk

Speakers are not working over here either. To be fair, I haven't had the time to look into it, but I did load the driver using the model mbp3 option like it says in the threads quoted above. Weird.

Anyway, kernel 2.6.30 works without problems so far. The cursor disappearing sounds weird -- have you figured out what the problem was? The b43 module doesn't work for me either (it loads, however, that's why I still had it in my kernel config). Obviously I'll try Broadcom's hybrid_wl driver soon.

The keyboard light sensors seem to work fine as well and using xcalib it is possible to mimick the OS X colour profile.

How did you configure the touchpad? In OS X it is possible to do a two finger click and drag, i.e. if you press down the trackpad with one finger that finger is subsequently ignored whilst the button-press is active. Therefore, it's possible to drag with a second finger: do you know if the current driver supports this behaviour as well?

#31 2009-06-19 10:14:11

fedfol

Hi, I've tryed to install the 2.6.30 in testing x86_64, the first time I started X the touchpad was not working but maybe I've forgot something, I dind't try another time cause X won't start anymore big_smile and I've no idea why..
Now I will try compiling directly the vanilla as inukshuk said using (and eventually tweaking) his config.

I even got a problem in testing with the broadcom hybrid drivers complaining about some missing links..

#32 2009-06-19 23:08:42

snoblo

Just installed arch on my macbook again. both .29 and .30 touchpad doesn't work?
I'll try to figure something out...

Last edited by snoblo (2009-06-19 23:50:18)

pacman is hungry today

#33 2009-06-20 03:00:05

Weird Fishes

snoblo wrote:

Just installed arch on my macbook again. both .29 and .30 touchpad doesn't work?
I'll try to figure something out...

If I turn on control-shows-the-mouse then I can repeatedly press it and see that the mouse works, even though it looks like it doesn't. This may or may not be what is happening in your case, but I thought my mouse wasn't working at all at first.

Anyone have a solution for the wireless under 2.6.30? Broadcom-wl only works under 2.6.29 and below, is there a functioning alternative?

#34 2009-06-20 13:10:01

snoblo

I'm currently using an external mouse, so I have no mouse problems for now (touchpad still doesn't work)
I'm back on .29, so broadcom-wl works. I don't know if this is a driver problem, but internet seems really slow with broadcom-wl in .29 (I don't remember it being this slow on .28, but I'm not so sure). I'm getting better results with an external usb wifi adapter, so I'm thinking maybe a driver/kernel problem?

and sound still doesn't work even after following the instructions on the wiki...
edit: nvm, sound works smile

Last edited by snoblo (2009-06-20 13:26:30)

pacman is hungry today

#35 2009-06-20 15:05:44

Weird Fishes

Speakers, too? I have only got the headphone jack. What did you do to fix this?

#36 2009-06-20 16:33:30

e-dard

Hey guys,

I am running Arch 64 with 29 kernel.  I have been trying to set up Arch on my new Macbook Pro 13".  I am not sure whether this is classified as a MacbookPro 5,2??  Although, actually dmidecode tells me the product name is "MacBookPro5,5" - but I don't see how the transaition can be from 5,1 to 5,2 to 5,5!  Either way, it is the new mid-2009 revision.

Anyway, I have got quite a few bits and bobs working. The main problem is the sound!!

I have tried the mbp3 trick, still nada.  Interestingly, I notice that when i run:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: HDA Generic [HDA Generic]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I only get one device output.  I have noticed in other posts on various forums that there should probably be one device for analogue and one for digital.

Also, running alsamixer shows the following:

Card: HDA NVidia                                                                                                            │
│ Chip: Generic 1013 ID 4206                                                                                                  │
│ View: [Playback] Capture  All                                                                                               │
│ Item: Master [dB gain=-0.50, -0.50]

I am pretty sure that the chip should be something other than "Generic 1013 ID 4206"....

Still looking for clues, I guess this is the problem when dealing with a new revision...

Last edited by e-dard (2009-06-20 16:34:36)

#37 2009-06-20 22:23:37

elaleph

I have the touchpad working under the kernel2.6.29. Here are the steps:

Installing some packages:
# pacman -S git base-devel xf86-input-evdev xf86-input-synaptics

Getting DKMS - latest stable tarball:
$ wget http://linux.dell.com/dkms/permalink/dk … 2.0.tar.gz

Unpacking dkms:
$ tar -zxvf dkms-2.0.22.0.tar.gz

Getting bcm5974-dkms:
$ git clone http://bitmath.org/git/bcm5974-dkms.git

Compressing dkms_source_tree:
$ tar -zcvf bcm5974-dkms/usr/src/dkms_source_tree.tar.gz bcm5974-dkms/usr/src/dkms_source_tree/

Going to dkms directory:
$ cd dkms-2.0.22.0

Getting root privileges:
$ su

Dkms ldtarbal:
# ./dkms ldtarball --archive=../bcm5974-dkms/usr/src/dkms_source_tree.tar.gz

Building bcm5974:
# ./dkms build -m bcm5974 -v 1.1.3

Installing bcm5974:
# ./dkms install -m bcm5974 -v 1.1.3

# modprobe bcm5974
# depmod -a

Reboot
Voilà!

The problem now is to disable the touchpad. But it is simple:

# pacman -S gsynaptics

:wq!

#38 2009-06-21 01:33:41

Weird Fishes

Trackpad works, but cursor image doesn't move with tracking. THe mouse will work and track, but I can move around the trackpad and the cursor stays put. Repeatedly pressing control shows that the trackpad is moving the real cursor(sans image) around. Scrolling works as well. No horizontal scrolling. Two finger right click works too.

Any solution for the cursor image issue?

ALSO: Sound wise: Does anybody have this working fully? I still have no speaker sound, and there is a red light coming from the headphone jack, more cool than anything else, but wondering if anyone else has this.

#39 2009-06-21 03:29:06

snoblo

I've only tried headphone jack, not speakers, sorry!

do any of you have slow internet with the bradocom-wl driver with kernel .29? mine seems quite a bit slower. all webpages seem to take up to several seconds to load (even simple pages like google), though pacman download speeds and internet speed tests are still the same. odd...

Last edited by snoblo (2009-06-21 03:40:19)

pacman is hungry today

#40 2009-06-21 03:55:18

Weird Fishes

snoblo wrote:

I've only tried headphone jack, not speakers, sorry!

do any of you have slow internet with the bradocom-wl driver with kernel .29? mine seems quite a bit slower. all webpages seem to take up to several seconds to load (even simple pages like google), though pacman download speeds and internet speed tests are still the same. odd...

I haven't noticed slowdowns. Maybe a web browser issue?

I've re-tried the sound and trackpad installation instructions, but haven't gotten any results. Can anyone with no trackpad movement confirm the same problem as I describe? or am I the only one with this problem?

#41 2009-06-21 12:32:13

snoblo

Maybe something is configured wrong (my first guess was something with /etc/hosts, but that looked fine?). but the slowdowns are in every browser. and when using pidgin for IMs, sometimes it would lag and I would suddenly receive several messages all at the same time even though they were sent a few seconds apart. This doesn't happen with my usb wifi adapter I think, but it's not that big of a deal =]
oh just now, I was doing a google search and it was taking half a minute and still wouldn't load so I had to refresh =/

about the sound, I never use speakers so I have no use for it (at this moment, although I'd like to get it working in the future if possible), but have you seen this?
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBo … unty#Sound
it's for ubuntu, but it may (or may not) work for arch?

pacman is hungry today

#42 2009-06-21 15:17:26

Weird Fishes

That same thing is posted in the macbook aluminum wiki.

Maybe line out is muted. If I recall correctly, it doesn't have a mute sign underneath, I am going to try running the alsa command to change the volume and unmute the channel.

#43 2009-06-21 16:32:02

snoblo

Weird Fishes wrote:

I don't think the archwiki mentions recompiling alsa-driver

pacman is hungry today

#44 2009-06-21 17:14:05

Weird Fishes

snoblo wrote:
Weird Fishes wrote:

I don't think the archwiki mentions recompiling alsa-driver

You're correct. I didn't notice the bottom part. I'll try that later.

#45 2009-06-25 19:20:32

jealma

Hi, I also have the Macbook Pro 5,2 and I hate it. I got it from my company, but I'd rather go with a decent Lenovo or maybe a Dell Latitude. This macbook is one hell of a bitch, half of the essential features don't even work. I gave up on Arch pretty quick, as I couldn't get the backlight to adjust. Ubuntu 9.04 has a PPA repository for these monsters from hell, so I'm stuck with Ubuntu. I've got sound working with headphones, not with speakers. Rebooting hangs the laptop, bluetooth doesn't work, keyboard backlight doesn't work, I can't use the 9400M onboard video, only the 9600, which makes the laptop run pretty hot. Also battery life is around 4 hours in stead of 8+ in  MacOSX. Not that anyone would use that of course.

I also used Arch on a MBP from a previous generation, probably 3 or 4, where everything worked correctly. I can't recommend the aluminium versions for any serious Linux user.

#46 2009-06-25 19:58:57

sirius

I hope things will improve, because I'm about to buy a Macbook Pro 15" in late August. Maybe I'll stick with Arch in vmware until it runs ok native.

Last edited by sirius (2009-06-25 19:59:11)

#47 2009-06-25 21:30:17

FALK

There are some hints on the ubuntu wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Jaunty
Anyone know if it is possible to convert the mactel packages with deb2targz and do a manual install or make a PKGBUILD?

#48 2009-06-29 21:00:29

e-dard

FALK wrote:

There are some hints on the ubuntu wiki: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro5-5/Jaunty
Anyone know if it is possible to convert the mactel packages with deb2targz and do a manual install or make a PKGBUILD?

Not all of that is particularly relevant to Arch users.

Further, pommed works perfectly well now.  I have sent information to the author who updated it to 1.27.  You can grab the git package here http://git.debian.org/?p=pommed/pommed. … ter;sf=tgz.

Just download the current PKGBUILD, change the version number, makepkg and install.

#49 2009-06-30 17:09:52

jakommo

Hi,

as written here https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-suppo … omments/21 the reboot problem can be solved by appending reboot=pci to your grub kernel config.
I´ve tested it with 2.6.29 and it works for me on my macbook pro 13".

greetz
jakommo

#50 2009-06-30 17:25:44

lifeafter2am

jakommo wrote:

Hi,

as written here https://bugs.launchpad.net/mactel-suppo … omments/21 the reboot problem can be solved by appending reboot=pci to your grub kernel config.
I´ve tested it with 2.6.29 and it works for me on my macbook pro 13".

greetz
jakommo

Yeah, that worked for me on the 2.6.30 on my MacBook Pro 5,2.

The only thing that doesn't work still are the speakers though ALSA, which I read on the mailing list was being worked on.  Which personally I don't really care about anyway because I never use em.  big_smile

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

Board footer