You are not logged in.

#101 2009-10-08 16:50:40

industrie13

Re: MacBook Aluminum

jryarch wrote:
industrie13 wrote:

update:

- pommed 1.28 now works with the latest mbp

I don't know what happened to pommed 1.28, but changing brightness in X still doesn't work, keyboard light turns off again when I go over 100% (is this a bug or feature?) and pommed 1.27 also works with MBP 5.5. So I don't understand what you mean?

Really strange.
I use pommed-1.28-1 unmodified, and all the features you describe as non-working are working for me as intended, this includes changing brightness and keyboard backlights are keeping turned on, even when brightness is at 100%.

Possible reasons for your different experience could be different hardware (I have the 15" model, maybe there is something different?), or there are still some files from your modified 1.27 installation somewhere in your system conflicting with 1.28 ... I don't know.

#102 2009-10-08 20:06:23

jryarch

industrie13 wrote:

Really strange.
I use pommed-1.28-1 unmodified, and all the features you describe as non-working are working for me as intended, this includes changing brightness and keyboard backlights are keeping turned on, even when brightness is at 100%.

Possible reasons for your different experience could be different hardware (I have the 15" model, maybe there is something different?), or there are still some files from your modified 1.27 installation somewhere in your system conflicting with 1.28 ... I don't know.

I'm on MBP 5.5, 13inch mid-summer edition, that could be the difference. I can't see why pommed 1.27 would conflict, I only changed an int somewhere in the code and won't be used by .28.

#103 2009-10-11 12:47:55

FALK

I had to edit pommed somewhat to get it working on my mbp 5.5. It only reports a ambient light value on sensor1 and 0 on sensor2. nvidia-bl from aur was also needed to get backlight working although pommed cycles the backlight value, as it also does with the keyboard backlight.

#104 2009-10-19 22:16:28

crocowhile

Did anyone manage to get the keyboard backlight working without using pommed? I mean, change the keyboard backlight through F5 and F6. It works via sysfs and theoretically I could just use a script but I want OSD too. I know it is possible to do so via hal because I used to use ubuntu and the mactel repository was fixing this.

#105 2009-10-22 13:26:24

fj93

I edited MacBook's wiki page to work whit MacBook Aluminium, and I added italian's language for who (as me) doesn't speak english well smile...
enjoy, and if something doesn't work, send me an email (only about Aluminium's version), and I will update the wiki.... now I'm working to make better MacBook Aluminium wiki's page...
Sorry for my bad english, but I'm Italian, and I'm only 16... smile
enjoy your Arch's MacBook!!

Last edited by fj93 (2009-10-22 13:26:48)

#106 2009-12-03 22:17:48

industrie13

Hi,

I guess, I ran into a little problem.
I reinstalled Chakra from the Alpha4 minimal CD on my Macbook Pro 5.5, and this time all went fine except a minor problem with grub which I could solve quickly. Even my Broadcom BCM4322 wireless worked out of the box with Knetwormanager and WPA2.

Then I realised in PowerDevils Settings that CPUfreq-scaling was not supported (although my cpu Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9600  @ 2.80GHz definitely supports it).
A quick look into my rc.conf and I added "acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_powersave acpi" to the modules section. Reboot. And CPUfreq-scaling worked fine. No complaints from PowerDevil anymore.
But at the same time Knetworkmanager stopped working and refused to show any wireless networks.

ifconfig and iwconfig didn't show my eth1.
Nevertheless, hwdetect --show-net and lsmod list my "wl"module as loaded.

To be sure, I disabled "acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_powersave acpi" with '!' several times, and cpufreq-scaling stopped working, and wireless was up again.

My guess is, that ACPI/Powerdevil deactivates my wirelesscard for energy-saving reasons. But I was not able to bring it up again.
Any ideas?

My rc.conf

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
# LOCALIZATION                                                           
#                                                                        
# LOCALE: available languages can be listed with the 'locale -a' command 
# HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime", any other value will result
#   in the hardware clock being left untouched (useful for virtualization)
# TIMEZONE: timezones are found in /usr/share/zoneinfo                    
# KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps                     
# CONSOLEFONT: found in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (only needed for non-US)
# CONSOLEMAP: found in /usr/share/kbd/consoletrans                          
# USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages                    
#                                                                           
LOCALE="de_DE.utf8"                                                         
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"                                                   
TIMEZONE="Europe/Berlin"                                                    
KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys"                                               
CONSOLEFONT="ter-v16b"                                                      
CONSOLEMAP=                                                                 
USECOLOR="yes"                                                              

# HARDWARE                                                               
#                                                                        
# MOD_AUTOLOAD: Allow autoloading of modules at boot and when needed     
# MOD_BLACKLIST: Prevent udev from loading these modules                 
# MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Prefix with a ! to blacklist.     
#                                                                        
# NOTE: Use of 'MOD_BLACKLIST' is deprecated. Please use ! in the MODULES array.
#                                                                               
MOD_AUTOLOAD="yes"                                                              
#MOD_BLACKLIST=() #deprecated                                                   
MODULES=( !acpi-cpufreq !cpufreq_ondemand !cpufreq_powersave !acpi forcedeth wl snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel soundcore )                                                                                              

# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="no"                                                     

# NETWORKING                                                             
#                                                                        
# HOSTNAME: Hostname of machine. Should also be put in /etc/hosts        
#                                                                        
HOSTNAME="eugenie"                                                       

# Use 'ifconfig -a' or 'ls /sys/class/net/' to see all available interfaces.
#                                                                           
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)                            
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES                            
#   - prefix an entry in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it                  
#   - no hyphens in your interface names - Bash doesn't like it             
#                                                                           
#eth0="dhcp"                                                                
# Wireless: See network profiles below                                      
#                                                                           

#Static IP example
eth0="eth0 192.168.178.22 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.178.255"
eth1="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(!eth0 !eth1 !wlan0)

# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   - prefix an entry in ROUTES with a ! to disable it
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

# Enable these network profiles at boot-up.  These are only useful
# if you happen to need multiple network configurations (ie, laptop users)
#   - set to 'menu' to present a menu during boot-up (dialog package required)
#   - prefix an entry with a ! to disable it
#
# Network profiles are found in /etc/network.d
#
# This now requires the netcfg package
#
#NETWORKS=(main)

# DAEMONS
#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
#   - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
#
DAEMONS=(@syslog-ng hal @ntpd !network !avahi-daemon !avahi-dnsconfd networkmanager @alsa kdm pommed)
[industrie13@eugenie ~]$ hwdetect --show-modules
ACPI   : ac battery button processor thermal
SCSI   : scsi_mod sd_mod sr_mod st
SATA   : ahci
USB    : usb-storage usbcore ehci-hcd ohci-hcd
FW     : ieee1394 ohci1394
NET    : forcedeth bluetooth rfkill wl lib80211
INPUT  : evdev input-polldev joydev bcm5974 hid usbhid
PCMCIA : pcmcia pcmcia_core
SOUND  : snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel soundcore
VIDEO  : uvcvideo v4l1-compat v4l2-compat-ioctl32 videodev nvidia
OTHER  : btusb cdrom applesmc i2c-nforce2 i2c-core led-class pci_hotplug shpchp rtc-cmos rtc-core rtc-lib ssb

#107 2009-12-08 20:06:02

jryarch

Hi Industrie, I don't know anything about your problem, but you shouldn't have the b43 or ssb modules loaded. (http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt)

Hope you find the problem soon..

#108 2009-12-16 20:48:24

industrie13

Seems, I found a solution for my problem.

Since the order of modules to load (before udev does) is set in rc.conf, I rearranged it there to:

MODULES=( wl !ssb !b43 acpi acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_powersave forcedeth ... )

Now I have cpu-freq-scaling A N D wlan. Yeah. smile

#109 2009-12-30 09:37:07

industrie13

Just want to note, that with kernel 2.6.32 sound works out of the box and without any alsa-hacking for my mbp 5.5 smile .
On the other side broadcom-wl stopped working because of a dependency problem with the new kernel, but I guess someone will come up with a new package quickly.

#110 2009-12-30 09:47:04

mikesd
Website

industrie13 wrote:

On the other side broadcom-wl stopped working because of a dependency problem with the new kernel, but I guess someone will come up with a new package quickly.

I'm using broadcom-wl on my macbook with .32 with no problems. You will need to install kernel26-headers and reinstall broadcom-wl.

#111 2009-12-30 15:21:11

frigaut
Website

Guys,

I edited the http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MacBook_(English) page to add a power management section.

I don't know about you, but I am quite satisfied about arch performance in terms of power consumption. I get 4 to 5 hours battery life on a MBP 17", with anywhere between 18 and 24 watts in regular use (i.e. nothing intensive). All power management features work: screen blanking, screen saver, suspend, hibernate (with a swapfile).

In fact, everything work:
* Video, including acceleration, backlight control
* Network (wired and wireless)
* HD (of course!) and DVD/CDROM bay (DVD read/burn)
* USBs
* Sound (including jack output), with some restrictions
* iSight
* Power management: suspend, hibernation, low power consumption (roughly the same as OsX)
* Infrared remote
* Multimedia keys
* Printing and remote printers discovery
* Autofs
* Keyboard backlight control
* Fans (cooling) control using home brewed scripts

Haven't tried bluetooth yet, but other users report it to work without issues. Overall, a fairly happy arch user here.

Last edited by frigaut (2009-12-30 19:27:09)

Archer since 03/2009 - AUR packages

#112 2009-12-30 15:29:14

crocowhile

I wish you were right but I found some annoyances on my MBP 13".

External video output never works if I connect VGA to a projector. The max resolution I can get in that way is 640x480, even if I restart. I use nvidia drivers.

Wireless is sensibly slower than MacOSX when resuming from sleep. If I use WEP + uswsusp then it gets equally fast in linux too but not with WPA. Plus, there is some annoying bug going on when using uswsusp and pm-utils that makes it unusable (opening the LCD lid triggers a "go to suspend" event).

Only thing doesn't work is being able to use the 3.5 jack as MIC jack in, I think. Isn't it?

Bluetooth works fine.
Keyboard retroillumination works ok with pommed. I didn't manage to get the native drivers from macintel (there are DEB repos around) work in arch.

#113 2009-12-30 18:01:27

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Macbook Pro 5.1 has 2 graphics cards. For all scenarios, you can only use 1 on Linux. If you use GPT, you use the lower one; and if you use msdos instead you use the better one which is 9600M GT which results as better performance but worse power consumption (which means 1.5 hours of battery life at most!) sad

Currently I've only Arch Linux on my MBP5.1 and I really have the following problems which annoys me a lot:

* 1.5 hours of battery
* No jack sense for head phones
* Remote printer discovery? Is that with cups?
* Lack of multitouch with touchpad using synaptics driver

Last edited by T-u-N-i-X (2009-12-30 18:01:48)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodiet?

#114 2009-12-30 18:11:41

frigaut
Website

crocowhile wrote:

I wish you were right but I found some annoyances on my MBP 13".

External video output never works if I connect VGA to a projector. The max resolution I can get in that way is 640x480, even if I restart. I use nvidia drivers.

yes. I had the same problem. This was (still is partially) a nvidia bug. This is partially solved with the beta nvidia drivers (I use 195.30 from AUR which work well): I can now have higher resolution, but it doesn't work for all external device (my home projector is shown correctly up to 1024x768 but a 1080p TV I have at work is shown only up to 800x600...)

crocowhile wrote:

Wireless is sensibly slower than MacOSX when resuming from sleep.

I agree. OsX network reconnect in a snap. It takes almost a mn to reconnect under arch (but that's a networkmanager feature, bot arch). If you always are on the same network, you can establish the connection manually and it will survive the suspend. But for me, the 45 seconds it takes is a minor annoyance which I have come to accept.

crocowhile wrote:

If I use WEP + uswsusp then it gets equally fast in linux too but not with WPA.

Interesting.

crocowhile wrote:

Plus, there is some annoying bug going on when using uswsusp and pm-utils that makes it unusable (opening the LCD lid triggers a "go to suspend" event).

I reported on the solution of this bug in the MacBook archwiki page (power management section). Basically, de-selecting the option "event_when_closed_battery" in gconf-editor → gnome-power-manager → actions does the trick (it did for me).

crocowhile wrote:

Only thing doesn't work is being able to use the 3.5 jack as MIC jack in, I think. Isn't it?

I wouldn't know. Never tried.

crocowhile wrote:

Bluetooth works fine.

great

crocowhile wrote:

Keyboard retroillumination works ok with pommed. I didn't manage to get the native drivers from macintel (there are DEB repos around) work in arch.

same here.

#115 2009-12-30 18:17:11

frigaut
Website

T-u-N-i-X wrote:

Macbook Pro 5.1 has 2 graphics cards. For all scenarios, you can only use 1 on Linux. If you use GPT, you use the lower one; and if you use msdos instead you use the better one which is 9600M GT which results as better performance but worse power consumption (which means 1.5 hours of battery life at most!) sad

Currently I've only Arch Linux on my MBP5.1 and I really have the following problems which annoys me a lot:

* 1.5 hours of battery

ok, I guess I went ahead of myself in saying "everything works"; Yes, I do have some of these problems (jack sense and multitouch trackpad) and they are somewhat annoying indeed.

I'm using the GeForce 9600M (so the the best of the 2 graphic card) and still get 4 to 5 hours battery life. But I have a 17" which has a larger capacity battery than your 15". How does it compare with OsX on your machine? How much power does it use in low use  mode (I mean, no heavy CPU load)? Mine uses typically 23 W (you can check with powertop).

Remote printer discovery: cups and avahi (start cups and avahi daemons), and then start up system-config-printer. Firewall should be down or ports open.

Last edited by frigaut (2009-12-30 18:26:13)

#116 2009-12-30 18:20:45

T-u-N-i-X
Website

frigaut wrote:
T-u-N-i-X wrote:

* 1.5 hours of battery

ok, I guess I went ahead of myself in saying "everything works"; Yes, I do have some of these problems (jack sense and multitouch trackpad) and they are somewhat annoying indeed.

I'm using the GeForce 9600M (so the the best of the 2 graphic card) and still get 4 to 5 hours battery life. But I have a 17" which has a larger capacity battery than your 15". How does it compare with OsX on your machine? How much power does it use in low use  mode (I mean, no heavy CPU load)? Mine uses typically 23 W (you can check with powertop).

Remote printer discovery: cups and avahi (start cups and avahi daemons), and then start up system-config-printer

You might have the chance to be using 9600M GS? Because GT really sucks the battery down.. I don't think bigger batter capacity will take you 3 more hours at least..

#117 2009-12-30 18:23:24

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Btw OSX's partition tool (DiskUtil?) wasn't able to allocate the most of the disk. Despite the OSX partition was mostly empty it always kept leaving 50-60 GB's (the numbers might change but they were really unnecessarily too much!) for OSX leaving me a space nearly 50%-50%..

#118 2009-12-30 18:29:00

frigaut
Website

T-u-N-i-X wrote:

You might have the chance to be using 9600M GS? Because GT really sucks the battery down.. I don't think bigger batter capacity will take you 3 more hours at least..

what do you mean? lspci gives me:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] (rev a1)
That's the high end card, not the integrated one, right?

I'm currently at 89% battery and

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state 
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          discharging
present rate:            24415 mW
remaining capacity:      115150 mWh
present voltage:         8021 mV

and 115/0.89/24. = 5.38 hours..

Last edited by frigaut (2009-12-30 18:33:49)

#119 2009-12-30 18:30:16

T-u-N-i-X
Website

00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge (rev b1)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge (rev b2)
00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus (rev b1)
00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
00:03.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation Device 0a98 (rev b1)
00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor (rev b1)
00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge (rev b1)
00:0a.0 Ethernet controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)
00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:16.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
00:17.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GT] (rev a1)
04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4322 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
05:00.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Agere Systems FW643 PCI Express1394b Controller (PHY/Link) (rev 06)

And this is what i have in total.. I can't get why we have so much difference for battery lifes.. sad 1.5 hours is very annoying..

#120 2009-12-30 19:41:48

frigaut
Website

T-u-N-i-X wrote:

btw, I assume you mean multi touch as in OsX: press with one finger and use the other one to move the mouse (like when you want to move a window). For the other multitouch: two finger scroll, multiple finger taps, they work. The former does not, indeed.

#121 2009-12-31 00:29:22

frigaut
Website

T-u-N-i-X wrote:

I can't get why we have so much difference for battery lifes.. sad 1.5 hours is very annoying..

can you post the result of

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info

and

cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

#122 2009-12-31 01:37:21

T-u-N-i-X
Website

[03:40] (tunix@penguix ~)$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/info
present:                 yes
design capacity:         46000 mWh
last full capacity:      32770 mWh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10950 mV
design capacity warning: 250 mWh
design capacity low:     100 mWh
capacity granularity 1:  10 mWh
capacity granularity 2:  10 mWh
model number:            bq20z95189ABCDEF0123456789ABCDE
serial number:           
battery type:            LIONz95189ABCDEF0123456789ABCDE
OEM info:                SMPNz95189ABCDEF0123456789ABCDE

----

[03:40] (tunix@penguix ~)$ cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
present:                 yes
capacity state:          ok
charging state:          charged
present rate:            0 mW
remaining capacity:      36160 mWh
present voltage:         12511 mV

#123 2009-12-31 02:37:27

frigaut
Website

well, that's it then: you battery is already a bit weared out: last full capacity is 33Wh (design 46). the "present rate" is 0 in "state" because you had the power supply pluged in (try unplugged), but if you are, like me, around 22W, then 33/22 gives you your 1.5 hours.
The difference between our laptops is that mine is newer and the battery of the 17" are way bigger. Mine gives:
design capacity:         130000 mWh
last full capacity:      128830 mWh

#124 2009-12-31 11:29:17

T-u-N-i-X
Website

Hmm, thanks for pointing out that difference. But as far as I know, changing the partition type from msdos to GPT will allow us to use the lower end graphics card (9600M GS) which will result as better performance. I've had 4-5 hours of battery life when I was on OSX btw.. I'm currently charging and discharging it so that it gets back to a better state because I've always plugged in the cable when I was working due to 1.5 hours of battery life.

#125 2009-12-31 14:34:14

frigaut
Website

I believe the integrated graphic chip is actually the 9400M (on mine I'm fairly sure it is). I don't know about changing the partition type (the disk is already using GPT, and I believe replicate the partition map in MBR in efi to allow "legacy" OS to boot), but apparently booting with grub-efi will allow us to see the low end chip ( look at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1327758 ).
Happy new year (I assume this is celebrated at least by part of the population in Istanbul)!

Board footer