Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: windows cheaper than linux

dp wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Companies are above ethics

no, they are not! they only think they are

How can a company "think" it is anything? companies are not biological people with minds. They are a social network, in essence.

It is only the people that run companies that can choose to think. These people are not above ethics. The company itself is. Does a table have ethics? Is a gun unethical? It's only the people that use them that can have ethics.

Companies are different than these things because they are people working together, and thus there is never any "one person" to be unethical. But it is still the people, not the company that have or lack ethics.

Then again, According to Pirsig, societies are a higher level of intelligence than people are, composed of people just as people are composed of individual cells.

#27 2004-07-31 17:03:37

dp
Website

Dusty wrote:
dp wrote:
Dusty wrote:

Companies are above ethics

no, they are not! they only think they are

How can a company "think" it is anything? companies are not biological people with minds. They are a social network, in essence.

It is only the people that run companies that can choose to think. These people are not above ethics. The company itself is. Does a table have ethics? Is a gun unethical? It's only the people that use them that can have ethics.

Companies are different than these things because they are people working together, and thus there is never any "one person" to be unethical. But it is still the people, not the company that have or lack ethics.

Then again, According to Pirsig, societies are a higher level of intelligence than people are, composed of people just as people are composed of individual cells.

in a way, you already gave the answer

if you say, that people in a company are not above ethics and the company is, then you either assume that the company is more than only the people working in it (like a higher spirit that is insidee th company that is not controled by the people) or that the people are injuirng their own ethics while part of the company but while standalone people, they are acting after their ethical principles (ethische grundsätze)

in the last instance, it is a person who decides and acts, the company is only an instrument

this is how i understand companies, but my experience with them is not that big, because i'm a student

does a table have ethincs? hmm... depends on the table :-) no, a table does not have ethics as such, but can be used for a lot fo actions that do not hurt ethical priincples - on teh other hand, a gun has not that much actions to be performed with that are common with ethical principles but a lot of actions that can be made with it that hurt ethical principles and more

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#28 2004-07-31 17:34:54

tpowa
Developer

before i used arch i used SuSE for more than  3 years
from 7.0 to 9.0 each version
it's not a really bad distro
you shouldn't try to change too much in the system then it runs not bad
and it's free too you can download it for zero bucks from their server
you cannot create iso's out of it but you can install over network install

try to install your own kernel or kde in suse and you can go to hell ;-)

suse can cost money but they sponsor some projects like others too but i think for that they can charge some bucks, the handbook is also worth the money
YAST2 is a monster, it gets opensource since 9.1 (the ncurses yast2 is much better than qt one, especially on older hardware) but if you know what to do on command-line you are faster.

arch is much smoother in updating and has newer packages
and everything i need, and it's really easy to contribute things, suse likes sometimes to ignore people needs and bugreports

Arch simply rocks

EDIT: One thing i miss from SuSE is SAX2 it was a great app to configure X but hwd does the job too

#29 2004-07-31 18:30:29

Fox

tpowa wrote:

before i used arch i used SuSE for more than  3 years
from 7.0 to 9.0 each version
it's not a really bad distro
you shouldn't try to change too much in the system then it runs not bad
and it's free too you can download it for zero bucks from their server
you cannot create iso's out of it but you can install over network install

try to install your own kernel or kde in suse and you can go to hell ;-)

suse can cost money but they sponsor some projects like others too but i think for that they can charge some bucks, the handbook is also worth the money
YAST2 is a monster, it gets opensource since 9.1 (the ncurses yast2 is much better than qt one, especially on older hardware) but if you know what to do on command-line you are faster.

arch is much smoother in updating and has newer packages
and everything i need, and it's really easy to contribute things, suse likes sometimes to ignore people needs and bugreports

Arch simply rocks

EDIT: One thing i miss from SuSE is SAX2 it was a great app to configure X but hwd does the job too

I liked the Command Line Yast2, but rpms sucks. It's depencie control is bad, it's slow, insecure and unstable. I moved from SuSE to Fedora (http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?p=36807#36807) because SuSE was bought by novel. I don't like novel and SuSE too, so it was easy for me to go big_smile . And SuSE packages aren't update2date and if there's a new realease, new packages for the older realease are rare.

Fox

#30 2004-08-13 20:54:23

hypermegachi

SASKATCHEWAN WOOOOOOOOOO

make that 2 users tongue

#31 2004-08-13 21:05:22

Fox

hypermegachi wrote:

SASKATCHEWAN WOOOOOOOOOO

make that 2 users tongue