You are not logged in.

#26 2009-04-07 19:34:22

jaydoc

Re: Are there any QT window managers?

@PJ... (or anyone who wants to answer..!)

Hi... sorry to revive this thread, but have you managed to keep your qt based environment entirely based on onky qt without any GTK/KDE mixing in with the stuff..? If so, could you post a list of the apps you are using...? (I have this 'voice' in my head, which says "thou shall make a desktop with openbox and gtk-only,(which I managed to do, though I am missing a few apps) and a laptop with openbox and qt-only," which I am yet to do. But I did look at some apps I could think of, and many of them want to pull in KDE libs as dependencies hmm smile

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#27 2009-04-07 22:48:52

SamC
Website

There are tons of window managers without either QT or GTK parts... Musca, openbox, xmonad, ratpoison, stumpwm, scrotwm, awesome, fluxbox... The list goes on and on. For good apps, try qt-apps.org.

#28 2009-04-08 08:30:01

jaydoc

@SamC... thanks for the link - i got to know about antico which is a pretty interesting project.

I do intend to use Openbox as a WM....  What I would like to know is - are there enough qt applications that don't need KDE libraries as  dependencies so that one can get a full-fledged qt based DE (AND without any toolkit mixing from GTK). Just like how we can get a GTK based DE on top of openbox ( the only apps I couldn't find were a decent VOIP and a good DTP app - I tried sip-communicator, but being a java appa it hogs a lot of RAM, and Ekiga needs GNOME)

K3b in the repos needs kdelibs as dependency, whereasOpera, VLC and  Scribus do not. So what I wanted to know was more applications in the class of Scribus, than K3b - if you can see what I mean.

Last edited by jaydoc (2009-04-08 08:46:43)

It takes a very unusual mind to undertake the analysis of the obvious - A N Whitehead

#29 2009-04-08 11:38:27

celettu
Website

Let's see...

Browsers: Opera and Arora I think it's called

Video: VLC, Smplayer

Graphic: Scribus

Audio: Qmmp? Qmpdclient? Quberok? (depends on Phonon...dunno if that doesn't bring in the whole of KDE). Phinix maybe, although it's pretty sparse.

IM: qutIM? Website seems to be down, couldn't find much information

File Manager: QT commander maybe, although that's qt3, so you start mixing toolkits again.

Burner: none?

In any case, ther's so much more choice when you look at gtk applications

Keep it Simple, Sexy

#30 2009-04-10 07:45:58

jaydoc

Well... thanks celettu...

I have searched quite extensively in the last 2 days. It does not look possible at all... especially when running 64 bit. There are simply not enough qt apps with the same range of functionality as gtk apps.

So I have set up a GTK on my laptop as well. The good thing is in the process - I have managed to rid myself of the once-great-now-bloat application called Firefox..! I have rediscovered Opera..!

Enough of toolkit purity, at least for now...!

Last edited by jaydoc (2009-04-10 07:47:08)

#31 2009-04-10 12:57:57

jaydoc

Somehow.... this distro continues to amaze me, everyday..!

Someone has always "been there, done that"

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lis … plications

#32 2009-04-10 13:20:46

patroclo7

Toolkit purity is a strange myth. The aesthetic mixture is a benefit for me, but can be avoided through specific themes. I am not sure if mixing gtk and qt apps have a relevant impact on the memory load, but I am unable to notice any negative effect of this eventual load.
The only motivation would be to avoid to have both qt and gtk installed in the system, but for me it is not a real problem.
I actually use opera and smplayer very often, together with other gtk-apps.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#33 2009-04-10 21:01:25

LeoSolaris

Hmm...   never mind.  I'm going to delete this.

Ok...  I can't delete...  I did not know that. Oh well.

I originally said thanks for the tip about qgtkstyle-svn as it made my handful of Qt apps look a lot better.

Last edited by LeoSolaris (2009-04-10 21:06:05)

I keep getting distracted from my webserver project...

huh? oooh...  shiny!

#34 2009-04-10 23:02:29

oopsicrappe

LeoSolaris wrote:

I originally said thanks for the tip about qgtkstyle-svn as it made my handful of Qt apps look a lot better.

The qgtkstyle-svn package is unnecessary with qt 4.5, as it's now included with qt.

#35 2009-04-14 16:49:29

PJ

jaydoc wrote:

Hi... sorry to revive this thread, but have you managed to keep your qt based environment entirely based on onky qt without any GTK/KDE mixing in with the stuff..?

No, I haven't managed to do that. In my opinon there isn't a real Qt replacement for Inkscape and Gimp, pretty much everything else is possible to find a replacement for with some help from KDE (Krita and Karbon is in my opinion not as powerful and easy to use as these Gtk applications). I haven't found any real Gtk replacement for LyX and Scribus either, so a pure Gtk environment is not an option either. For now I am using both Gtk an Qt applications, I really don't believe in Toolkit purity, even though I personally prefer Qt applications over Gtk alternatives.

#36 2009-04-14 17:20:44

SomeGuyDude

FWIW, qtconfig seems to have a "GTK+" GUI style option, which has made all of my QT apps match my GTK theme with no tweaking needed. Here's an example: VLC (QT), Picard (QT), Sonata (GTK), PCManFM (GTK). No actual configuration, just selecting GTK+ in qtconfig and matching fonts.

21aw900_th.jpg

Last edited by SomeGuyDude (2009-04-14 17:24:33)

And in the midst of such perfection,
I can't help but feel diseased.

Board footer