You are not logged in.

#26 2008-12-28 00:02:40

mutlu_inek

Re: Need to install older xorg verisons

Ahhh... now I get it. The catalyst driver works with the current xorg, but your card doesn't work with the current driver.

Unfortunately, the PKGBUILD svn history of Arch only goes back less than a year, so it does not contain PKGBUILDs of older releases. You could have a look at various PKGBUILDs by browsing their history, for example that of the xorg-server at http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/x … D?view=log
You could then adapt them to install what is necessary to get the old X running. You can find the packages for X 7.1 here: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/releases/X11R7.1/

The problem with all this (apart from the time it takes) is that many packages on your system will depend on more recent versions of X. Ultimately, such an enterprise does not make much sense.

Have you checked Blender's website/bugtracker/forums with regard to the problems you have with the open source xf86-video-ati drivers (which I presume you have tried, but I am not sure)?

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2008-12-28 00:03:56)

#27 2008-12-28 01:09:55

mfsfly

Zariel I haven't actually used hwd I will try it it, but what I have found is when I type  pacman -S catalyst it installs the catalyst but after its done, I type modprobe fglrx, and it will not load fglrx. It shows me an error, to reproduce the error I have to go to Term, then I have to uninstall the open driver and then I have to reinstall the catalyst driver, then I can type modprobe fglrx, but in the open ati driver there is no fglrx to load because if I remove the catalyst with pacman -Rs then it deleted the fglrx module, so I just want to get it to load, could this be because I have a newer xorg version? How I can fix this?

#28 2008-12-28 01:18:51

mfsfly

mutlu_inek thanks for your understanding, you hit the nail on the head. I am using the current xf86-video-ati drivers and I'll have to check out the Blender bug reports, I have before but I guess I didn't look good enough wink Man it will be good to mark this as solved, I'm sure you all are getting a little impacient with me lol. Yes its a waste of time i'm sure to downgrading xorg to 7.1, but very soon I hope I'll get a newer ati or maybe a Nvidia smile The computer is up to date or to par coin the phrase, but the card is well very old. Thanks for your links

#29 2008-12-28 01:26:01

Wintervenom

Open-Source => Catalyst

modprobe -r radeon; pacman -Rd xf86-video-ati; pacman -S catalyst catalyst-utils
#(Reboot/kill X server if modprobe complains that radeon was in use.)#
modprobe fglrx

Catalyst => Open-Source

modprobe -r fglrx; pacman -Rd catalyst; pacman -S xf86-video-ati
#(Reboot/kill X server if modprobe complains that fglrx was in use.)#
modprobe radeon

On another note, perhaps you might have luck to try the release candidate of the new release candidate version of xf86-video-ati driver (version 6.9.0.91)...

Last edited by Wintervenom (2008-12-28 01:27:33)

#30 2008-12-28 06:02:31

mfsfly

Open-Source => Catalyst
Code:

modprobe -r radeon; pacman -Rd xf86-video-ati; pacman -S catalyst catalyst-utils
#(Reboot/kill X server if modprobe complains that radeon was in use.)#
modprobe fglrx

Wintervenom I did what you said to do,  I installed the catalyst pkg,  but I could not get the "modprobe fglrx" to work, this is what happened

FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.27-ARCH/video/fglrx.ko): Cannot allocate memory

So I am using the radeon driver once again, any ideas?
thanks for your answer

#31 2008-12-28 06:43:17

mfsfly

after install of the fglrx module, I rebooted but the error was the same
FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.27-ARCH/video/fglrx.ko): Cannot allocate memory

However modprobe agpgart did work.

Last edited by mfsfly (2008-12-28 06:43:59)

#32 2008-12-28 16:36:33

mutlu_inek

Wintervenom, his card is not supported by the catalyst driver. He needs to use the xf86-video-ati driver, which does support dri and 3d, though. The issue is to configure it correctly/to figure out how to use blender without the system crashing (bug in blender/drivers?).

Edit: Thinking about it, opening a new topic (with more detailed initial information) for the issues with your ati card might give better results than continuing in this long, confusing thread entitled "Need to install older corg versions."

Last edited by mutlu_inek (2008-12-28 16:47:24)

#33 2008-12-28 20:45:51

mfsfly

I will take your advice mutlu_inek. I'll just  compile the older xorg,

thanks all. After reading your post mutlu_inek concering installing the older xorg, that is what I wanted to do in the first place big_smile  so Im thinking of marking this as solved, give it a couple of days or hours who knows. It should work nicely once I'm done.

Last edited by mfsfly (2008-12-28 20:49:08)

Board footer