iceman81 wrote:

Updated.

Is the package working for you now?

Unfortunately i'm still getting the command not found error during patching:

patching file fs/reiser4/writeout.h
patching file fs/reiser4/znode.c
patching file fs/reiser4/znode.h
patching file include/linux/fs.h
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1405 (offset 8 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 1846 (offset 8 lines).
patching file include/linux/mm.h
Hunk #1 succeeded at 845 (offset 12 lines).
patching file mm/filemap.c
patching file mm/page-writeback.c
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1199 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 1241 (offset 1 line).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1257 (offset 1 line).
: command not found 
Error: Makepkg was unable to build kernel26-ice package.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#53 2009-05-13 15:24:08

iceman81
Website

Re: kernel26-ice comments and suggestions

it should be fixed now

#54 2009-05-13 21:14:27

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

No dice:

==> Building image "default"
 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/kernel26-ice.imgFIG_LOCALVERSION="-ice"
:: Begin dry run
find: `/lib/modules/2.6.29CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=-ice\r': No such file or directory
ERROR: module 'ahci' not found
find: `/lib/modules/2.6.29CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=-ice\r': No such file or directory
ERROR: module 'lzo' not found
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [udev]
:: Parsing hook [autodetect]
error opening alias file: No such file or directory

[ ... ]

:: Parsing hook [sata]
:: Parsing hook [dsdt]
:: Parsing hook [usbinput]
:: Parsing hook [keymap]
:: Parsing hook [resume]
:: Parsing hook [filesystems]
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26-ice.img'...SUCCESS
==> SUCCESS
==> Building image "fallback"
 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.d/kernel26-ice-fallback.conf -g /boot/kernel26-ice-fallback.img
:: Begin dry run
ERROR: module 'ata[-_]generic' not found
ERROR: module 'ata[-_]piix' not found
ERROR: module 'uvesafb' not found
:: Parsing hook [base]
:: Parsing hook [udev]
:: Parsing hook [autodetect]
:: Parsing hook [pata]
:: Parsing hook [scsi]
:: Parsing hook [sata]
:: Parsing hook [usbinput]
:: Parsing hook [filesystems]
:: Generating image '/boot/kernel26-ice-fallback.img'...SUCCESS

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#55 2009-05-14 00:23:07

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

(p.s., i'm on ZSH)

for testing i've recompiled it with localversion set manually, building works as expected.

the only thing not working with the new kernel is 802.11n on my intel 5100agn card, which worked ok before (i came from ice 2.6.29-8). could this have anything to do with the new stock-arch based config.x86_64 that is now used? the reason i ask is because i've tried downgrading to stock 2.6.29.3, 2 and 1 tonight, which all didn't provide working wireless-N. right before i did the upgrade wireless worked, and i only upgraded kernel26-ice, dcron, findutils and sysfutils (so no other network related stuff). there was a minor wireless_tools upgrade yesterday that i downgraded to be sure, but that's also not the culprit.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#56 2009-05-14 01:08:20

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

@litemotiv

The new config.x86_64 should closely follow the stock one, which means if the stock works for you there's no reason this wouldn't. You may want to manually check out the options you require for that particular card, and post back here with exactly which option needs to be set/unset.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#57 2009-05-14 02:36:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Just a note for those compiling RT, you may have to turn off the staging drivers (Device Drivers-->Staging Drivers), I was having errors with them when compiling for RT. In general they should be turned off, am unsure why they were turned on in the first place.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#58 2009-05-14 08:51:21

iceman81
Website

i hate zsh. :-P

i tried to build the kernel yesterday and it built flawlessly.

#59 2009-05-14 11:57:28

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

yeah well i hate packages that break two times a week, to each his own. wink

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#60 2009-05-14 12:41:00

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Ah, the joys of using an under-development patch to the kernel.

Or, in this case, of using several under-development patches smile

#61 2009-05-15 02:00:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

iceman, I finally found time to try out -11 (was previously on -9). Compiles fine, once I removed the staging drivers, but I'm having the errors litemotiv mentioned, as well. x64 system, perhaps?

Gargamel on the AUR mentioned the reason

and to compile had to replace
LOCALVERSION=$(grep "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=.*" .config | sed 's/\(CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=\"\)\(.*\)\(\"$\)/\2/g')
with LOCALVERSION=-ice

the previous resulted in something like LOCALVERSION=CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-ice"

And yes, I do see many files where LOCALVERSION is set to that string, instead of just -ice. I copied out this line

grep "CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=.*" .config | sed 's/\(CONFIG_LOCALVERSION=\"\)\(.*\)\(\"$\)/\2/g'

and ran it on both config and config.x86_64. for config I get

-ice

which is correct, but for config.x86_64 I get

CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-ice"

This was confusing, because when I wrote that config.x86_64 I did not previously get this problem (that was prior to passing it to you via pastebin). Perhaps pastebin messed up the text on that line. Anyhow, just use a text editor to copy the 3 lines (above, below, and including) the CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="-ice" from the standard config to config.x86_64. I've tried paste-binning it to various pastebins, the formatting seems to get messed up. Any suggestions on an online file transfer (rather than pastebin) service?

EDIT: Okay, with the changes I've outlined, the config.x86_64 works. To reiterate, basically involves turning staging drivers OFF (this is rt-patch only) and copy-pasting the lines mentioned in the previous paragraph from the config to config.x86_64

Last edited by ngoonee (2009-05-15 03:22:00)

#62 2009-05-15 12:37:52

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

ngoonee: as a general idea for x64, would it be interesting to remove as much exotic modules as possible, trying to reduce the build time to a minimum?

i understand it will take some time to construct a proper minimal config, and there might be instances where people need a non-available module (which will have to be added then), but since this is a custom kernel anyway and there is relatively small amount of people using it, it seems a good idea to try to optimize it as much as possible.

i would say a compile time between 5 to 10 minutes on a recent core2duo would be a good range to work towards to.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#63 2009-05-15 12:47:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Perhaps. I do make some alterations personally, but for posting up here to the AUR, I figure its best to follow the stock kernel as closely as possible (excepting the additional patches) so that there's no breakage for people trying the kernel out.

I've screwed up kernels many times from trying to be too greedy in deleting options though, so I doubt you'd want me to be messing around too much. Kernel configuration at the optimization level needs to be done by the user, IMO. I've never seen any distro offer 'stripped-down kernels', because once you start stripping more than just a bit away, chances are some percentage of users would not be able to use it as is.

Perhaps something more useful would be a step-by-step guide in the wiki on finding out from your current kernel the modules you absolutely need, as well as advising on things you DO NOT want to remove. I've looked for that for a long while, but never managed to find anything good.

#64 2009-05-15 12:54:37

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

yes, i agree.

my initial area of interest would therefore be drivers for hardware that people are not likely to have (old soundcards, scanners, isa controllers etc.). they take up a lot of compile time, since most of them are built as modules.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#65 2009-05-15 13:06:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Yes, I agree that 'Device Drivers' would be the first thing to look at.

The thing is, what do we take out? For most components the argument can be made that someone may need it. The reason I posted an updated config.x86_64 in the first place was because the previous one did not enable bluetooth by USB. Not something that everyone uses, for sure, as most desktops don't even have a bluetooth dongle. But my laptop, like all modern laptops, does have bluetooth.

Perhaps you could suggest broad categories to be removed? I'm sure iceman81 would be happy to accept an updated config.x86_64.

#66 2009-05-15 15:24:22

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

I am not very familiar with the device categories, but i will have a look to see if i can spot a few obvious candidates. It's true that there might be a driver or two that somebody could need afterall (happened to me too earlier), but in that case people can report them here. It's a small tradeoff for a faster overall compilation for everybody i think. smile

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#67 2009-05-29 10:47:02

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I have a new config.x86_64. Could someone please help me test it to see if it works? It works on my machine, of course...

I've pasted it up here.

#68 2009-05-29 16:16:44

iceman81
Website

if you haven't stripped any useful module from the config, it should be ok.

#69 2009-05-29 21:29:08

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

I've only stripped staging, which is enabled in your config (i686) and in the stock kernel, surprisingly.

#70 2009-05-30 12:51:32

iceman81
Website

ok it sounds good. i'll add it asap

#71 2009-06-01 02:24:50

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Hi iceman. I've always compiled your kernel with 'keep source' set to 1, today I did it with 'keep source' set to 0 and couldn't compile nvidia-beta for my kernel.

I've seen this before, in the kernel26rt PKGBUILD. Basically, you just need to add 'trace' to line 144 of your PKGBUILD. Basically, once I've changed it, lines 144-146 look like this:-

for i in acpi asm-{generic,$KARCH} config linux math-emu media net pcmcia scsi sound trace video; do
    cp -a include/$i $startdir/pkg/usr/src/linux-$_kernver/include/          
    done

Necessary for nvidia proprietary drivers to compile, since they use trace to check for the capabilities of the system or something like that. Should not affect anything else.

#72 2009-08-02 20:11:09

qubit

Hi, thanks for great patchset.
Would you mind adding patches for intel graphics?

#73 2009-09-09 12:12:54

iceman81
Website

intel patches don't apply correctly against 2.6.30.6

it says already applied. i'll check asap

#74 2009-09-09 20:28:29

qubit

The intel patches are in vanilla from 2.6.30.5 ...

#75 2009-09-10 09:46:26

iceman81
Website

Cool. i didn't have the time to read the changelog.

Board footer