You are not logged in.

#451 2015-06-17 23:17:11

archlicious

Re: Scrotwm / Spectrwm

Thanks again, I'm gonna check it out again soon. One more question tho: Is there any way to justify the bar contents in such a way that part is justified far left and another part is justified to the right? I would like it to be something like this:

"ArchLinux" fixed to far left, "focused window name" fixed in the center, and "date/time" fixed at the far right side of the bar, and "date/time"'s position should not be affected by the numbers of characters in "focused window name".

Alternatively, is there such a thing as a status bar that can toggle between status bar and launch bar, similar to the bar in Windowlab?

Last edited by archlicious (2015-06-17 23:23:25)

You can fix stupid. With brain surgery.

#452 2015-06-18 13:38:47

skanky

In spectrwm's bar, I've not seen a way to justify both, but you may be able to work something out using bar_format, bar_justify and strftime.
I limit the focussed window's name with "[+15P] +48W" in the format, followed by the output of the baraction script, which keeps its start point at the same place. It's left justified though, not right.

I use the spectrwm bar and dmenu with the standard key binding that toggles the dmenu bar on. It works as if it's one bar toggling. I assume any other bar would behave the same way with dmenu, but I've not used any of them. You may find examples up-thread or in the forum, I know others have (at least in the past,  if not currently).

You could also do a github or web search for spectrwm.conf, to see what others may be doing.

Sorry, only pointers as I keep it fairly vanilla.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#453 2015-06-22 09:56:30

chickenPie4tea

Trying to get another panel to work with it as I wanted to be able to click on a workspace to go to it.
Tried bmpanel2 and fbpanel and they both work but I have a problem.
They only show on one workspace and not on the other workspaces any advice?

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#454 2015-06-22 11:15:35

skanky

Whether this works may be panel dependent, but you could try auto-running on all workspaces?

I haven't tried it, but I did think that the region was an area on a screen that spectrwm "ignored", so the bar was needed to be either outside its control or moved across workspaces. Don't know how to do either easily, though.

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#455 2015-06-22 11:33:35

chickenPie4tea

thanks , yes auto-running on all workspaces works but that means I have 5 panels running but so far it's the only way.
The spectrwm forum is dead, just thought I would try out Spectrwm but I won't stick with it as it seems to be dead.

You can like linux without becoming a fanatic!

#456 2015-06-22 11:54:51

skanky

It's not dead, there was a new release, recently. It just does all the creators wanted.

From the mailing list:

We’ll take patches.  Slow doesn’t mean dead.  It means it is “done”.

We let “nice” things always in even if we disagree.  The rules are simple:
* Don’t break backwards compat, ever
* Must be written in the correct style
* Must not be a one off type deal
* Must not add deps
* Must not be a hog memory, cpu or what have you

With that we’ll practically take anything.  At this point I really only have one
big missing feature on my list.  A pure floating mode; I won’t use it but I am
aware folks would.

There are some buglets and nits left over but those are lurking in deep dark
corners.

Worst thing we miss is a good tutorial and better doco.

The mailing list is slow, but I think still monitored:
http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.window … .spectrwm/

Anyway, the only other thing I can suggest is a key binding that moves the bar to the workspace and then switches to that. Again, I've not tried it.

#457 2015-10-09 19:49:41

demure
Website

Has anyone else noticed issues with spectrwm, using conky for the bar, and a great deal of unicode failing to output correctly?
(examples of characters tried https://notabug.org/demure/dotfiles/src … nky#L44-49 )

I fear the answer is going to be that I need to play with the default font, as font configuration is a weak point for me.

#458 2015-10-10 06:44:26

LordReg

demure wrote:

Has anyone else noticed issues with spectrwm, using conky for the bar, and a great deal of unicode failing to output correctly?
(examples of characters tried https://notabug.org/demure/dotfiles/src … nky#L44-49 )

I fear the answer is going to be that I need to play with the default font, as font configuration is a weak point for me.

What is your bar_font entry in spectrwm.conf?

#459 2015-10-10 20:41:25

demure
Website

Right now, I am just using the default (I don't have it set).
I'm pretty sure this means it is set to:

-*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
LordReg wrote:

What is your bar_font entry in spectrwm.conf?

#460 2015-10-12 09:12:56

LordReg

demure wrote:

Right now, I am just using the default (I don't have it set).
I'm pretty sure this means it is set to:

-*-terminus-medium-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Are you using the Symbola font?  So far I haven't been able to get it to work with XLFD, but it works fine with Xft.
spectrwm uses XLFD by default.  To use Xft you can try the following entry in your spectrwm.conf:

bar_font = Symbola:pixelsize=14:antialias=true

#461 2015-10-12 18:40:16

demure
Website

LordReg wrote:

Are you using the Symbola font?  So far I haven't been able to get it to work with XLFD, but it works fine with Xft.
spectrwm uses XLFD by default.  To use Xft you can try the following entry in your spectrwm.conf:

bar_font = Symbola:pixelsize=14:antialias=true

Thank you, it looks like setting the font this way lets unicode work right

^____^

EDIT: I don't suppose there are any good mono fonts with a good range of unicode?
I've tried Hack, PragmataPro, and Unifont; but the support is so so (hack/pragmata), or it looks crappy (unifont).
I just kind of like the mono look.

Last edited by demure (2015-10-12 20:07:20)

#462 2015-10-12 20:36:43

sdoubleyou

You can try droid sans mono

sudo pacman -S ttf-droid
bar_font = Droid Sans mono:style=Regular:pixelsize=12:antialias=true

I worked some time with Droid Sans mono, currently I use Consolas. I use dzen2 & conky as bar_action

#463 2019-04-12 23:51:34

likytau

Qtile offended me for the last time (server process falls over, input focus gets stuck in one window, WM actions basically don't do anything)
, so I recently switched to spectrwm.
Overall I'm happy with it. But I do have two issues:

* I have a utility which tracks which window is focused and estimates time. This uses xdotool. Under spectrwm, `xdotool getactivewindow` occasionally reports that there is no _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW atom on the root window. This is difficult to trigger, but I'm reasonably sure it is either during the process of switching workspaces, or when the screenlocker (slock, automatically managed by xautolock) activates.

* It's possible to confuse spectrwm so that you can't spawn new windows ( the application starts, as evidenced by terminal messages, but no window appears). The cause for this was probably a mistake that launched several instances of sxiv within a very short time. Exiting spectrwm and restarting X fixed this state. (this could even be an X bug, I guess.. No solid basis of comparison)

I realize I don't have any reliable means of reproducing these, otherwise I'd file them in the bugtracker, but I was wondering if anyone else has encountered these?

#464 2021-08-08 22:18:41

ozar

I was a big fan of dwm for years and still like it very much, but once I figured out the workings of spectrwm's default status bar, it quickly became my favorite window manager.  To the spectrwm devs, keep up the good work... this window manager is great.

oz

Board footer