You are not logged in.

#126 2009-10-25 21:06:45

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: Scrotwm / Spectrwm

No, it is still here.  I think it might happen if I hit any keys while Opera is busy spooling out, before Opera's tray icon finally goes away.

#0  0xb775d424 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xb759f26d in ___newselect_nocancel () from /lib/libc.so.6
#2  0x08053ba2 in main ()

#127 2009-10-26 14:22:35

marco_p

that looks like a glib issue.  try removing the the &tv from the select and replace it with NULL.

#128 2009-10-26 19:23:09

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

I think that might have worked.  Need to test it some more.

edit:  Nope. Does not work.

If I close Opera and immediately switch away, it is fine.  If I wait for the window to close, then switch, it locks.  If I wait for the window to close and wait for Opera exit, it is fine.

Last edited by keenerd (2009-10-26 19:38:17)

#129 2009-10-27 05:58:24

Intrepid

sorry, but does anyone know how to get it to work with a panel of some sort and different layouts per workspace as well as apps opening on certain workspaces?

I don't mean to hassle, but scrotwm is great and I would like to try it my way big_smile

Intrepid (adj.): Resolutely courageous; fearless.

#130 2009-10-28 18:25:50

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

I think you can get a panel working if you turn on all the quirks.

Forcing apps or layouts to workspaces goes a bit against it's philosophy.  It stays out of your way, and does not let you add limitations that could get in your way.

#131 2009-10-29 13:45:24

marco_p

I contacted ryan about giving me some patches to make his bar part of scrotwm but he never integrated it.  Code is at:
http://www.ryanflannery.net/hacking/xstatbar/

I'll take patches for it.

#132 2009-10-29 16:32:11

Aedit

I added a wiki page at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Scrotwm
Please take a look and contribute to it.

On xstatbar, the code looks quite BSD-centric at the moment. I like the minimalism of baraction.sh -- just text, but with some simple scripting it looks like you can do 90% of what xstatbar does by pulling info from /proc, /sys and common utilities.

To make it look better it would be nice if scrotwm would accept colour text escape codes and UTF-8 charaters from baraction.sh.

Glancing at the code, it looks like XDrawString in bar_print would need to be changed.
Something like this (but not this obviously):
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=531036

#133 2009-11-02 01:27:56

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Switching workspaces while Gimp is quitting will also lock things up.  I will try more slow to quit apps.

There is a work around.  Wait until the process is completely gone before touching anything.

#134 2009-11-03 18:31:19

Gentooer

I've been using 0.9.19 for a while now, and have noticed that sometimes the keyboard focus doesn't work properly.  When using the fullscreen layout with multiple windows open, sometimes a window below the focused window will get all of the keyboard input.  After cycling throught the windows, this is always fixed.

I'm not sure what triggers this problem.  It only happens once every few hours.  Doesn't matter what applications are open.  I've had it happen when I had several uzbl windows open, but also when I had severel urxvt's open running vim.  I'm not positive, but I don't think this problem was present with earlier versions of scrotwm.

#135 2009-11-04 22:34:22

SimonPhotography
Website

Is it possible to reserve a portion of the screen for a statusbar, such as dzen2?  If so, how would I do that?  The manpage didn't show an option for it as far as I could tell.

#136 2009-11-04 23:57:43

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

SimonPhotography wrote:

Is it possible to reserve a portion of the screen for a statusbar?

Yes, with the "region" option.  A very brief mention is in the man page.  By default, the regions are equal to the screen dimensions.  Set the Y a little smaller, and there you go.

#137 2009-11-05 01:59:45

OpenBSD

keenerd wrote:

Switching workspaces while Gimp is quitting will also lock things up.  I will try more slow to quit apps.

There is a work around.  Wait until the process is completely gone before touching anything.

Same behavior with openoffice and R.  Not just while they are quitting, but with any resource intense process.
OpenBSD i386 31Oct snapshot; scrotwm cvs'ed from yesterday.

#138 2009-11-05 06:52:51

Lich

Gentooer wrote:

I've been using 0.9.19 for a while now, and have noticed that sometimes the keyboard focus doesn't work properly.  When using the fullscreen layout with multiple windows open, sometimes a window below the focused window will get all of the keyboard input.  After cycling throught the windows, this is always fixed.

I'm not sure what triggers this problem.  It only happens once every few hours.  Doesn't matter what applications are open.  I've had it happen when I had several uzbl windows open, but also when I had severel urxvt's open running vim.  I'm not positive, but I don't think this problem was present with earlier versions of scrotwm.

I can confirm. When I have fullscreen urxvt and an uzbl on top of it, if I quit uzbl the urxvt won't grab focus. This seems to happen only with the terminal window

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#139 2009-11-06 17:35:42

yvonney

Feeling somewhat compelled to write to say thank you for scrotWM, Over the past while I've become 'average' enough to try different wm.

xmonad to dwm to musca to xmonad then a bunch of everything I could try (awesome, wmii, etc.) as I was kinda 'getting it'. Keeping an eye on xmonad wishing it could be tiny yet happily surprised to find that scrotWM really is working for me. Again, many thanks.

As an aside, I read about issues people have with wms stopping etc. etc. I respect xmonad and the rest pretty much equally, as in, greatly,  and happily ignored all the little issues I had with specifically xmonad 0.9 (and it's updates) this past week, or I attributed them to my usage, my config changes, and/or my system generally. read: who knows! :-)

Last edited by yvonney (2009-11-06 17:42:16)

#140 2009-11-06 18:21:14

yvonney

UPDATE COMMENT: kinda solved as I found the move needed with scrotWM. Every WM I've used has required some move to get rdesktop sessions in a window to be useable. Basically I did something like float the window next to the rdesktop session and then could float the rdesktop. I liked what I ended up with and will now see what I can do to understand what I did etc. Just wanted to write this asap.

---- posted what's below first ----

RDESKTOP problem.

Really enjoying how scrotWM tiles everything. I need a fix/explanation for what to do with a local remote desktop session. I've always found that rdesktop required some 'move' to get it workable with other WMs.

Not able to do anything with what is a fully tiled rdesktop session.  Can't float it so maybe I need to set rdesktop on the conf to float before running it? how would I do that best?

I really like the totally tiled thing that scrotwm is doing to my attempted rdesktop local session yet  can't do a thing and have to stop  rdesktop to free scrotWM up.

Sorry if I've not explained well. Basically I'm not able to do anything with rdesktop with scrotWM.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-11-06 18:40:35)

#141 2009-11-06 19:42:41

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

They've been working on the focus issues.  It sounds like there might be some fixes in CVS.

scrotwm-cvs:  http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=31789

#142 2009-11-06 21:12:34

yvonney

@keenerd    Thanks for pointing me to cvs !!!

So sorry if I've not looked enough though is there yet a config option that, when opening up the second pane (in a single main window) THAT: we can specify the percentage of space that the second program/pane takes up.

Right now it seems to be 50/50  like split down the middle of the screen..

funny cause that about the only mod I did to xmonad other than keybinding. I set it to leave the main area as 3/4. So, that would mean that when I opened up the second pane it would take up 1/4 of the screen and not half. This is not a big deal for me at all. Keep it simple is more appreciated.

all going very well with scrotWM for my current requirments. Features, operation, size all sensible and surprizingly right for where I'm at! Love the way I can fly around with scrotWM.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-11-07 01:04:33)

#143 2009-11-06 21:21:09

yvonney

got it: dialog box size ratio?  fun! I think that'll do it.
(update: I was mistaken)

Anyway, while I'm here I did this:

bar_action        = ~/bin/baraction.sh

and put the script from the wiki at the location in my custom bin folder location, as above.
So, yes, it shows up though I'm only getting some of the info displayed.
Do I have to install something?   acpi or dhcp stuff?

Last edited by yvonney (2009-11-07 01:13:52)

#144 2009-11-06 23:44:26

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

yvonney:

You can float any window.  MOD+t.  Again to unfloat.  If you MOD+right click inside a floating window, it will be automatically resized to the dimensions requested by the app.  (Right drag to change the size.)

The dialog_ratio option sets the default width for floating windows which do not request a specific size.

By default, the layouts all use a 50/50 split.  However, if you change it the new size is preserved, even after closing all windows on a workspace.  The 50/50 can not be changed in the config file.

The default baraction.sh file is fairly OpenBSD specific.  If you share a good Arch one, I'll include it in the package.

Also, are you running X as root?  That seems kind of silly.

#145 2009-11-07 00:55:03

yvonney

I took the baraction.sh from arch wiki. Could not write one. Is the arch wiki one not going to work?
yes, I run as root a fair bit. Says something about the holes in my nix ability and I'm addressing that as it's not wise at all. thank you!

Good to know about the 50/50 and I do like simple options. Cool it remembers for the session.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-11-07 00:56:15)

#146 2009-11-09 17:19:56

Aedit

@yvonney: the baraction.sh in the wiki needs bc (for calculations) and lm_sensors (for temperatures). You can check in a terminal that "sensors" and "cat /proc/net/wireless" are working for you. I have expanded the wiki explanation a bit now.

#147 2009-11-10 01:43:55

OpenBSD

yvonney wrote:

I took the baraction.sh from arch wiki. Could not write one. Is the arch wiki one not going to work?
yes, I run as root a fair bit. Says something about the holes in my nix ability and I'm addressing that as it's not wise at all. thank you!

Good to know about the 50/50 and I do like simple options. Cool it remembers for the session.

you can use conky easily for system info

The simplest way is to create a .conkyrc with "out_to_console yes" and "out_to_x no"
In baraction.sh you just put "conky &"

Conky might be easiest for you (assuming that you are new to unix based on your previous  comments and /root/bin).

#148 2009-11-10 02:17:40

yvonney

thanks Aedit - thanks OpenBSD

@Aedit

I checked my .scrotwm.conf and it's now

~/bin/baraction.sh

I installed both bc and lm_sensors and no change. The script is executable and it's almost certainly something silly my end. I'll try taking off the   '.sh'   Anyhow, big thank you for that.

@OpenBSD

hehehe, yes, my running as root here and there shows that I have glaringly patchy and completely blank areas. That said I really enjoy a good problem solve and so it's been an amazing couple of years with ARCH. Note I've now put  ~/bin   :-)

Further from that, conky. yes, I'd love to love conky. (and it doesn't have to be -cli these days I've heard)

Yet,  I am still wanting to find cumulatively defining answers as to whether scripts I piece together aren't just way more unix-y, as economical CPU-wise,  and more importantly nicely cross platform, as I wish to have BSD in hand as well someday so I'm now aware of licenses and programs that work best with ARCH and *BSD. Plus I'm loving tmux and zsh so I've got my work to do. Keeping it as trim as possible so no conky for me I'd bet.

I fumble my way forward with a more and more minimal system. I 'think' I'd like to have scripts piped into scrotwm's bar as simply and as under my control as possible. Not simply interested in programs working. All that's said with tons of gratitiude for all comments and the tips have opened my eyes a bit wider to how parts work scripts-wise.

cool!

QUESTION: how's about a way to make the border 2 or 3 pixels wide with scrotWM ? (it's one pixel now, right?) possible?

Last edited by yvonney (2009-11-10 02:33:14)

#149 2009-11-10 03:08:16

Aedit

@yvonney:  "~/bin/baraction.sh" does _not_ work for me either.

Try just "baraction.sh", but first make sure you have ~/bin in your path. I.e. you should have something like this in ~/.bashrc:
export PATH=$HOME/bin:$PATH

#150 2009-11-10 22:49:50

skanky

For what it's worth (very little) here's my baraction.sh
It's based on the one in the wiki, but I made a few changes.

1) Where awk was being used, I let it do everything.
2) My wireless quality is reported as a percentage, so I don't need to convert it. If I did, I'd again use awk and not bother with bc.
3) Some of the information I wanted to show is different.

#!/bin/bash
# baraction.sh script for scrotwm status bar
# Based on script at Arch Wiki in scrotwm section
#
# This shows battery, wifi & mem info

# ** Requires acpi for battery
# ** warning awk version & dependency not checked **

# delay
SLEEP_SEC=5
while :; do
    # Wireless
    # On this system quality is a percentage
    WLAN_ESSID=$(iwconfig ra0 | awk -F "\"" '/ra0/ { print $2 }')
    WLAN_STR=$(awk '/ra0/ { gsub("[.]", "");
               printf "'$WLAN_ESSID': %s\% S/N=%s/%sdBm", $3, $4, $5 }' /proc/net/wireless)

# Battery
    BAT=$(acpi | awk '{ gsub(",", ""); printf "Bat: %s %s %s", $3, $4, $5}')

# Mem - calculation could be done in shell or awk (END record)
    eval $(awk '/^MemTotal/ {printf "MTOT=%s;", $2}; /^MemFree/ {printf "MFREE=%s",$2}' /proc/meminfo)
    MUSED=$(( $MTOT - $MFREE ))
    MUSEDPT=$(( ($MUSED * 100) / $MTOT ))
    MEM_STR="Mem: ${MUSEDPT}%"

echo -e "                                 $WLAN_STR        $BAT        $MEM_STR"
    sleep $SLEEP_SEC
done

# EOF

The acpi dependency could be removed by going straight to proc and using awk again to calculate the relevant info. I may do that at some point, but probably not.

I have no idea whether the above better, worse or no different to the wiki one (I can't be bothered to do any tests), but any constructive feedback is welcomed. Either way, it works and I get the required output. smile

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

Board footer