You are not logged in.

#351 2009-06-01 21:25:32

prol

Re: Musca (Tiling Window Manager)

I have a question, How do u launch applications in a particular group and make them stay in that group? for example pidgin in the chat grou

#352 2009-06-04 00:38:03

aerosuidae

yvonney wrote:

2) Can musca recall my layouts exactly for the different groups or whatever? I just need to put them in the .start_musca file? Would be great to be able to bootup and have everything load with the sizes I want and in the tabs/v-desktop I want. Wishful thnking? thanks!

"Almost" is the answer here, but the options are a little crude so far.  You can put a lot into .musca_start and .xinitrc.  Also check out the dump/load commands for saving and restoring framesets with window layout hints based on WM_CLASS.  The next Musca release will be a little better at this sort of thing.

prol wrote:

I have a question, How do u launch applications in a particular group and make them stay in that group? for example pidgin in the chat grou

Currently app windows can only launch in the active group, except that any dialog or transient windows are automatically pushed to the same group as the parent window.  I have plans to support _NET_WM_PID to try to better handle multi windowed apps.

#353 2009-06-04 22:07:55

yvonney

I am REALLY having the BEST time with musca.... thank you for the tips. Terrific to be using it and able to ask questions directly!
I love the key commands. Which include (and so many more logcal ones): M+s to swap between tiling and the manual layers view and SO cool is that floating windows easily go BEHIND when switching around. NOTE: that I have only used the defaults so much much much more is settable/possible, now AND in the future it certainly appears.

I am amazed that (for me) I don't miss dwm and the custom key commands I had to use. My average user ability is working perfectly with musca and I am motivated to progress, which is a big thing in my development. Reading all the posts here it is working brilliantly for some noteable gurus as well.
musca has made my minimalist install really really enjoyable.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-04 22:12:18)

#354 2009-06-06 10:49:52

Barghest

Nice WM! Thanks for the work.

I have a question and I hope I didn't miss it in this thread.

I have add float in my .musca_startup and I want that this group uses the stack mode by default. How can I achieve this?

I tried

add float
use float
stack on

but this sets my default group in stack mode.

Thanks!

#355 2009-06-09 07:07:44

aerosuidae

@Barghest: Technically that config should work as you expect... Is that your entire .musca_start?

#356 2009-06-09 16:31:40

Barghest

Hi,

this is my .musca_start (don't know where I have the part with the keybindings have from...I just adjusted it a bit)

#Musca keybindings
bind off Mod4+k #coming from awesome I often press Mod4+k accidentally
bind on Mod4+Shift+h hsplit 1/2
bind on Mod4+Shift+v vsplit 1/2
bind on Mod4+Shift+r remove
bind on Mod4+Shift+o only
bind on Mod4+Shift+k kill
bind on Mod1+F4 kill
bind on Mod4+Shift+c cycle
bind on Mod1+Tab cycle
bind on Mod4+Left focus left
bind on Mod4+Right focus right
bind on Mod4+Up focus up
bind on Mod4+Down focus down
bind on Mod4+Next use (next)
bind on Mod4+Tab use (next)
bind on Mod4+Prior use (prev)
#bind on Mod4+Tab screen (next) (I don't use multiple screens, so I find the Mod4+Tab easier to switch groups) 
bind on Mod4+Shift+w switch window
bind on Mod4+Shift+g switch group
bind on Mod4+x shell
bind on Mod4+Shift+x command
bind on Mod4+Shift+d dedicate flip
bind on Mod4+Shift+a catchall flip
bind on Mod4+Shift+u undo
bind on Mod4+Shift+s stack flip
bind on Mod4+Shift+Left swap left
bind on Mod4+Shift+Right swap right
bind on Mod4+Shift+Up swap up
bind on Mod4+Shift+Down swap down
bind on Mod4+Control+Left resize left
bind on Mod4+Control+Right resize right
bind on Mod4+Control+Up resize up
bind on Mod4+Control+Down resize down
bind on Mod4+Shift+q quit 
hook on add pad 0 0 0 22 
exec conky
exec stalonetray
add float
use float
stack on

Last edited by Barghest (2009-06-09 16:32:18)

#357 2009-06-10 19:22:11

Frabato

Hi All,

I've been using musca since yesterday and I'm already working in a fairly comfortable way. I'd like to know if anyone can help me set up dzen2. I have no idea how to start. I have installed it but I don't see a config file. The options on their website look like they are for cli. Most instructions are for xmonad and it seems as though they start and configure from within the xmonad config file. Can anyone help to get me started with a basic configuration and let me know where the configuration  file goes? Also, thanks very much for this great wm, it's my first tiling wm and I'm enjoying it very much.

Arthur

#358 2009-06-11 01:36:02

Rasi
Website

Frabato wrote:

Hi All,

I've been using musca since yesterday and I'm already working in a fairly comfortable way. I'd like to know if anyone can help me set up dzen2. I have no idea how to start. I have installed it but I don't see a config file. The options on their website look like they are for cli. Most instructions are for xmonad and it seems as though they start and configure from within the xmonad config file. Can anyone help to get me started with a basic configuration and let me know where the configuration  file goes? Also, thanks very much for this great wm, it's my first tiling wm and I'm enjoying it very much.

Arthur

Here is my dzen script to show workspaces in musca:

#!/bin/sh

FN='-xos4-terminus-*-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
BG='#262626'
FG='#dadada'
W=200
X=0
Y=768
GH=7
GW=50
#GFG='#a8a3f7'
GBG='#111'

MAXPOS="100"

while true; do
    ws=`musca -c "show groups" | awk -v ORS=" " '{ print ($2=="*"?"^fg(#000000)^bg(#ffffff)":"^fg(#dadada)^bg(#262626)")$3} EN$
  echo "$ws"
#  sleep 1;
done | dzen2 -ta l -tw $W -x $X -y $Y -fg $FG -bg $BG -fn $FN -e

you only need to make it executable and run it after musca started...

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#359 2009-06-11 03:02:39

Frabato

Hi Rasi,

Thank you very much for replying. Maybe the copy and paste was bad, I get:

[a@cwa ~]$ /home/a/.bash/workspace.sh
/home/a/.bash/workspace.sh: line 17: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
/home/a/.bash/workspace.sh: line 21: syntax error: unexpected end of file

but at least I get the idea that dzen2 is run by a bash script. I know nothing of bash scripting so if anyone knows of a good tutorial please pass it on. Also Rasi, if you know what went wrong with the script please let me know. Here is my version.

#!/bin/sh

FN='-xos4-terminus-*-*-*-*-10-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'
BG='#262626'
FG='#dadada'
W=200
X=0
Y=768
GH=7
GW=50
#GFG='#a8a3f7'
GBG='#111'

MAXPOS="100"

while true; do
    ws=`musca -c "show groups" | awk -v ORS=" " '{ print ($2=="*"?"^fg(#000000)^bg(#ffffff)":"^fg(#dadada)^bg(#262626)")$3} EN$
  echo "$ws"
#  sleep 1;
done | dzen2 -ta l -tw $W -x $X -y $Y -fg $FG -bg $BG -fn $FN -e

Thanks!

#360 2009-06-11 03:18:29

Frabato

Hi All,

Sorry to have taken the thread off topic, I thought that with all the talk about xmonad and dzen2, that dzen2 might have to been handled in a different way for each WM. I'll ask dzen questions elsewhere in the future.

Thanks !

#361 2009-06-12 21:35:35

Frabato

Well I apologize for my previous apology. I would like to know if Rasi or anyone else knows what is wrong with this script. Again the errors are:

[a@cwa ~]$ /home/a/.bash/workspace.sh
/home/a/.bash/workspace.sh: line 17: unexpected EOF while looking for matching ``'
/home/a/.bash/workspace.sh: line 21: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Thanks

#362 2009-06-12 22:06:34

Procyon

Don't copy it directly from nano. Look at the end of the line, it's not visible!

Edit:
Well until Rasi fixes it maybe you can try:

END { print "\n" }' `

instead of
EN$

I think that's all it needs. Maybe even END { ORS=""; print "\n" } to get rid of that space after the newline.

Last edited by Procyon (2009-06-12 22:51:48)

#363 2009-06-13 01:16:56

Frabato

Hi Thanks,

Well I tried "END { print "\n" }' `" and that got rid of the errors in the command line but all I get is an occasional white flicker on the desktop.
I was using scite (I've never used it before) to edit the file and it looks like it highlights errors. Changing "EN$" to "END { print "\n" }' `" got rid of the errors on the last three lines but this is still highlighted:

`musca -c "show groups" | awk -v ORS=" " '{ print ($2=="*"?"^fg(#000000)^bg(#ffffff)":"^fg(#dadada)^bg(#262626)")$3} END { print "\n" }' `

I know nothing about bash so I'm going through a couple of tutorials. I'm still having a great time with musca and this is not a pressing issue for me but it would be nice to have it working.

Thanks Again

#364 2009-06-15 08:29:45

yvonney

spooky cool how much I am getting with musca. Another thanks here.

[OBJECTIVE: get right side key to work like left side mod key - somehow - 3 poss. options? below]

SO:   the mod key is the key between cntrl and alt on the left side of my laptop.

1)   
IS there a musca only way to get the right side key that's between to ALSO be the same mod key?? (is it called the context key or something - anyways it's on the right side of the laptop kybd and betwen ctrl and alt ---sheeesh)

2)
OR: I guess there may be a way to keymap that key with some root folder file. (sorry I'm rushing here!)

3)
OR: what about having to accept that the only way to do it is maybe with that famous keymapping package I can't recall the name of right now, even though I have it installed.  hehehe

So, the dmenu pairing with musca has to live for many many years, or longer even.  I really love dmenu and for me musca with it is healthy candy time!!!!!   It's like totally fresh to be enjoying stuff so much.   I LOVE them   !!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I have added this to the bottom of my '.musca_start' file which I got from the author's wiki and used parts of it.

http://aerosuidae.net/musca/Aerosuidae_default_config

bind on Mod4+z refresh
bind on Mod4+comma cycle prev
bind on Mod4+period cycle next
bind on Mod4+Pause exec xscreensaver-command -lock
#bind on Mod4+F1 use default
#bind on Mod4+F2 use work
#bind on Mod4+F3 use stuff
#exec superswitcher -C
#alias pad0 pad 0 0 0 0
#alias pad26 pad 0 0 0 26
#set notify notify-send -t 3000 Musca "`cat`"

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-15 08:37:16)

#365 2009-06-15 08:58:17

Procyon

@yvonney: Look at some of the examples in man xmodmap, and xmodmap -pm. I think you have to use xmodmap -e "keysym ? = Super_L"
Where ? is what xev says the keysym name is.

I'm not sure though, I once played around with it and it only worked for a few things and sometimes had to be reversed. (try it out in a Xephyr window (Xephyr :1 -terminate -screen 600x600 & (sleep 4; DISPLAY=:1 urxvt) &))

#366 2009-06-15 09:34:32

yvonney

intriquing! thanks.

I guess left on my own study path I'd first have to find out what the universal key name is for that contexty key between the right side alt and ctrl keys.  Any way to find that out would be cool.

Then I study up on xmodmap (read some stories about what fun playing with that can cause I think)

Then I swing into an enjoyable Xephyr romp anfter which...hmmmm... it could partly work.

Hey, sounds perfect for me and my system... actually!

I just love removing stuff and musca reminds me many times a day how I'd take any amount of time to make up for those lost Linux years before I discovered ARCH!!!

um, ok... yes, it's late.
So, maybe there's a secomnd option for achieving this. problee sit on this one for a while and see what comes up. Though yeah, it's likely gonna have to be some kinda 'other than musca' tweak.

sleepie time.  back tomorrow!

#367 2009-06-15 10:32:37

von_Wanderlust

Hey yvonney,

Use xev to get the keycode for that right mod key. xev will probably spit out 4-5 lines onto the terminal, in the middle you will see something like

...state 0x8, keycode 123 (keysym 0xffea...

It's the "123" bit we need.

Add this line to your .Xmodmap file (or create it if needed).

keycode 123 = Super_R NoSymbol Super_R NoSymbol Super_R

Lastly, add the following to start xmodmap to your .xinitrc file. Must go before the "exec musca" line

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
exec musca

That should do it. :-)

vW

Last edited by von_Wanderlust (2009-06-15 23:59:35)

#368 2009-06-15 11:03:32

yvonney

can wait to wake up!!! I'll be back.
thanks to you both!!!!!!!!!!!!

#369 2009-06-15 19:35:23

yvonney

UPDATE: works!!!!!!!!!!   it was keymap 135. I needed to have two term windows to really see what was happening as I assumed incorrectly that the keycode 123 I saw was for the right keypress.

SO: may I ask... do I need BOTH the files.   ~/.Xmodmap AND  ~/.musca_xmodmap ??? AND if so: what would go in each? (obviously one or both get's the line that I've used. Currently I have same line in both files)

Now I'll try out the mod more fully. hurray!!!

---------  EARLIER REPLY BELOW before I found my error as detailed above --------

1) does seem to be  keycode 123 for that key. it prints out a ~ when in terminal before the modmap thing. And, as I've not got the proceedure doing anything yet it still prints out a ~ in terminal.

2) I created an .Xmodmap file and put the line in there.

3) I added: .Xmodmap ~/.musca_xmodmap  to my   .xinitrc

So, after a reboot and nothing happening I created another/additional file called  ..musca_xmodmap
  and put the line in it. The line in both cases being: keycode 123 = Super_R NoSymbol Super_R NoSymbol Super_R

Nothing yet.

So: need to clarify

1) If I've got the xev out put right and it's keycode 123 (probably right I'd say)

2) If I need to create BOTH root files as above AND which one gets the line put in it? And what then would go in the other file?  So what actually goes in either/or  .Xmodmap and .musca_xmodmap   ?

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-15 20:00:07)

#370 2009-06-15 19:51:03

Procyon

Which key is it? Menu? My Menu key doesn't have keycode 123, but when I do
xmodmap -e 'keysym Menu = Super_L'
it works.

#371 2009-06-15 20:02:19

yvonney

Don't know if you've seen my updated reply, above.
My right key on the laptop that's between the alt and ctrl is keycode 135
I think yes, it's the menu key.
I will later try your menu key string. Interesting!
The 135 is working fine it seems.

GREAT to know.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-15 20:03:22)

#372 2009-06-15 23:58:49

von_Wanderlust

!3RR0R!  Sorry yvonney, copy and paste error.

OK, you can actually specify whatever name you want for the file, either .Xmodmap or .yvonney_modmap or whatever, as long as you call that filename before you start musca. To avoid confusion, lets make it .Xmodmap because some other DEs will recognise this name and load it automatically. I'm going to go back and change my earlier post, but to confirm, this is what we need in your .xinitrc:

xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap
exec musca

vW

#373 2009-06-16 01:14:12

yvonney

Great vW! So I can put 'xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap'
in my .xinitrc above the exec like you put, then delete the old line. Yep, got it!
I am so appreciative of the help I've received from you and Procyon. very cool.

Last edited by yvonney (2009-06-16 01:17:38)

#374 2009-06-18 08:20:56

SpeedVin

Hello evryone i use musca for week (i use she with only keyborad).
I want to thank to autor of this extra tiling WM , musca is great i'm happy with she , but i have question there's any tip that i can remove borders from all my frames on startup?
Thanks for any tips.

Last edited by SpeedVin (2009-06-18 08:36:56)

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#375 2009-06-18 18:07:17

von_Wanderlust

aerosuidae wrote:

We now support enough EWMH for the "superswitcher" utility to work.  http://code.google.com/p/superswitcher/  and available in community repo on Arch.  My personal favourite.  I start it with the Caps Lock key.

Musca + superswitcher = pure gold. I love that I can:
* (quickly!) list and switch between all the windows in the current + any other groups
* kill windows as well as add(!) and delete(!) groups from within the window switcher

This pretty much seals the deal re musca for me, which I am really liking by the way. smile

Board footer