You are not logged in.

#26 2009-03-16 18:35:35

adamlau

Re: Need a fast image viewer with slideshow and autorotating

Geeqie is pretty fast with two-pass zooming.

Arch Linux + sway
Debian Testing + GNOME/sway
NetBSD 64-bit + Xfce

#27 2009-03-16 19:51:15

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:
R00KIE wrote:

Maybe GQview but I'm not sure if it doest all of what you want.
I find gqview faster than mirage but I guess there might be faster viewers out there.

Hmm,... I might have to try out gqview. What are the dependencies, do you know?

Depends on gtk2 which depends on quite a few things. In my case there are a few things I use that depend on gtk2 like flashplugin. medit, mplayer, thunderbird and a few others so not a problem for me.

Now I'm curious about qiv, I'll give it a try smile

Edit:
Just a small correction to the PKGBUILD posted at the beginning, I think the source line should be:

source=(http://spiegl.de/qiv/download/qiv-2.1.tgz)

The md5sum checks out with what is on the pkgbuild. Maybe brazzmonkey can confirm this.

Last edited by R00KIE (2009-03-16 20:03:19)

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#28 2009-03-16 20:25:37

brazzmonkey

R00KIE wrote:

Edit:
Just a small correction to the PKGBUILD posted at the beginning, I think the source line should be:

source=(http://spiegl.de/qiv/download/qiv-2.1.tgz)

The md5sum checks out with what is on the pkgbuild. Maybe brazzmonkey can confirm this.

You're right, but the PKGBUILD should work quite the same (as stated before, it is adapted from PKGBUILD available in Arch repo).
md5sum checks that downloaded file is not corrupt.
In any case, let me know if you've got trouble with this PKGBUILD. It worked for me anyhow.

@Rip-Rip
I just came across gliv this afternoon, it looks fine but does not support autorotating.

gthumb is nice (I like the fadein/fadeout effect), but there no recursive browsing for slideshows and my pictures are slow to load (screen stays black a few seconds between fades)...

what goes up must come down

#29 2009-03-16 20:46:17

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Yes, it does work perfectly (and the line should read source=(http://spiegl.de/qiv/download/qiv-$pkgver.tgz) to be more correct, but I just wanted to try qiv big_smile), tried it already and it seems to be faster than anything I've tested so far.
Its a bit hard to compare the speeds though ... gqview and most other viewers show you the image while it is being loaded and qiv just shows you the image already loaded. Too bad qiv doesn't have a gui (couldn't find any) or I might replace gqview. Mind you that I find gqview quite fast if I allow it to load the next image in advance.

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#30 2009-03-17 16:50:30

brazzmonkey

I corrected the PKGBUILD thanks to R00KIE.

Last edited by brazzmonkey (2009-03-17 21:11:54)

#31 2009-03-17 16:59:22

skottish
Forum Fellow

Inxsible wrote:
rson451 wrote:

That's not an feh config, that's a config for whatever file manager you are using.  I'm not sure of the options you'd need to pass feh because I always run it on the command line.

I use PCManFM. I will look into it later tonight. I guess it should be as simple as assigning feh as the default app for image files like png, jpg, gif and svg

You can do it, but feh will only launch the image that you clicked on. What I mean is that if you open an image, it won't let you move through the rest of the images in the directory (like gqview's mouse wheel scrolling). I found someone that tried to make a solution before, but it always started with the first image in the directory regardless what that user clicked on.

#32 2009-03-17 17:23:37

brazzmonkey

skottish wrote:

You can do it, but feh will only launch the image that you clicked on.

This is true for qiv also.

#33 2009-03-17 21:10:08

HashBox

Thanks to this thread I decided to try out qiv, and for slideshows I think it works great, although you need to play around with the options quite a bit. My slideshow invocation looks like: qiv -nmtfrsiDu ./dir/ which shows a fullscreen slideshow with all images fitted to the screen, and recursively displays images in a random order, or something like that anyway tongue I actually had a bunch of thumbnails which I didn't want to be displayed but qiv seems to be missing an option to ignore a regex or something like that, but I got around that temporarily by using find and sending that to a file, and then telling qiv to display the filenames in that file.

tl;dr qiv is great if you play with the options.

#34 2009-03-17 21:14:36

yingwuzhao

+1 gqview, best viewer I ever use!
Very few dependence, and only 0.69M when you do pacman.
smile

#35 2009-03-17 21:53:52

foxbunny
Website

+1 for gqview.

I believe that perceived slowness of gqview in comparison to qiv lies in the fact that giv waits for the image to load before it shows it. I've tested with fairly large images and the 'pause' before showing the image in qiv, as opposed to gradual loading of the image in gqview is noticeable. The images load in about the same time (maybe qiv is just a tad bit faster, but there isn't much difference, imho).

Also note that gqview does bicubic resampling (by default) in fit-to-screen mode, which qiv doesn't (by default at least). If you turn off bicubic resampling (i.e., switch to nearest neighbor), gqview shows the imag almost as fast as qiv.

#36 2009-03-17 22:01:29

Xyne
Administrator/PM
Website

You can use jhead to losslessy autorotate jpeg images according to the exif data.

jhead -autorot *.jpg

You can customize pcmanfm to open image files with feh from the "open with ->" menu when you right-click on a file.

My Arch Linux StuffForum EtiquetteCommunity Ethos - Arch is not for everyone

#37 2009-03-18 08:32:21

brazzmonkey

Xyne wrote:

You can use jhead to losslessy autorotate jpeg images according to the exif data.

jhead -autorot *.jpg

You can customize pcmanfm to open image files with feh from the "open with ->" menu when you right-click on a file.

Yeah, I know about jhead, but it's useless when it comes to reading images on a read-only DVD, for instance. So it's not a solution for me.
Customizing PCManFM to open images with feh will only display the specified file. You won't be able to start a slideshow or display other images.

#38 2009-06-15 13:54:37

brazzmonkey

brazzmonkey wrote:

Too bad, "shuffle" feature does not actually work (but "random" does).

I bump this thread because current qiv version (2.2 in official repos) now works as expected.

Board footer