Developer

Mozilla mess in archlinux

Currently, the mozilla stuff we have in archlinux is a big mess:

- mozilla /opt/mozilla
- mozilla-firefox /opt/mozilla-firefox
- mozilla-thunderbird /opt/mozilla-thunderbird
- nss-nspr /usr
- gecko-sdk /opt/gecko-sdk

Mozilla stuff is installed everywhere on the filesystem. For example, every one of these packages provides a nss-nspr, and someone who has installed firefox, gnome and ximian connector, has all of the above in his system, except for mozilla thunderbird. I see 4 nss-nspr libraries installed (why does ximian-connector depend on gecko-sdk if evolution depends on nss-nspr?)

I think all of these 5 could provide nspr-nss-runtime, wile only gecko-sdk and nss-nspr would provide the nss build dependencies for packages like gaim-encryption and evolution.
Same goes for the browser part: it's possible to start browsers like epiphany or galeon without having mozilla installed: it works completely with the firefox libs, it works with some side effects on the gecko engine used by thunderbird.

The problem with this is that we have a big mess in /opt now. For every small thing I see /opt/somepackage appearing. Wouldn't it be less messy to install all mozilla stuff in /opt/mozilla? Mozilla and Firefox create /opt/mozilla/lib/mozilla-1.7.2 there anyways, so we shouldn't get any conflicts.

#2 2004-09-24 15:14:16

sarah31
Website

Re: Mozilla mess in archlinux

excellent points. i am confused to see some stuff appearing in opt/ (such as bittorent (which i could not even get running properly)).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-09-25 00:31:03

ganlu

I think it's right point. Mozilla.org has released quite important packages right now, some are function-repeated, to put all of them into a single folder I believe will increase better understanding and control. I don't know if it's possible to make dependency as A or B, so we don't need any more for unnessary packages saying when we upgrade epiphany without upgrading mozilla since we have already mozilla-firefox installed.

#4 2004-09-28 03:26:14

ganlu

How about:
/opt/mozilla.org
   -->/opt/moziall.org/mozilla
   -->/opt/moziall.org/firefox
   -->/opt/moziall.org/thunderbird
   -->/opt/moziall.org/nss-nspr
   -->/opt/moziall.org/gecko-sdk

Board footer