You are not logged in.

#276 2009-05-13 20:22:17

haxit
Website

Re: uzbl. A browser that adheres to the unix philosophy.

Added this to my repo.

Archi686 User | Old Screenshots | Old .Configs
Vi veri universum vivus vici.

#277 2009-05-15 22:50:13

Falstaff

Tried uzbl since yesterday. It's what I've been dreaming about since around two months ago, a unix-like web browser in the internals yet a fully modern web browser (thanks to webkit).

My only specific impression for the moment is:

Ever since I've been using wmii, the usage of the mouse became absolutely secondary. Vimperator, the Firefox plugin seems too complex to learn IMO (I can only do basic stuff with Vi). The actual keybindings in the default config files are simple but great; they do the job; Although, I don't understand how to load a bookmark by their tags.

#278 2009-05-16 06:54:17

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Falstaff wrote:

Although, I don't understand how to load a bookmark by their tags.

You would need to expand on the sample script to do that.  I think someone already posted a script in this topic.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#279 2009-05-16 10:50:13

maattd
Website

Noob question : is it possible to draw the widgets (checkbox, buttonradio, ..) without GTK2, but directly with X (like the "GUI" xpdf) ?

#280 2009-05-16 12:13:28

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Dieter@be wrote:
Falstaff wrote:

You would need to expand on the sample script to do that.  I think someone already posted a script in this topic.

actually, i added support for the dmenu vertical patch.  if you have dmenu-vertical installed from AUR you can see the tags and page titles, and for load_from_history also the date, and use all that for matching.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#281 2009-05-16 13:04:02

aerosuidae

+1

Excellent project.

#282 2009-05-16 16:18:13

renick

I love this browser already.

useful in your config:

pf = scroll_vert 750
pb = scroll_vert -750
O _     = spawn uzbl --config /my/config/file/.here --uri %s
w _     = uri http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%s

I'm wondering how to override a page's stylesheet. I want to set custom fonts, rather than letting pages choose their own. Any idea how to do that?

#283 2009-05-16 16:28:00

cinan
Website

Shortcut 'o _' should behave like in vimperator. Type 'o', space is automatically appended and I just type address.

#284 2009-05-16 16:43:41

Runiq

cinan wrote:

Shortcut 'o _' should behave like in vimperator. Type 'o', space is automatically appended and I just type address.

You could just remove the space between the o and the underscore. Doesn't look stylish (owww.google.de), but it works (for now).

The config file and command format will likely change as this project matures. Very good work so far, I must say.

#285 2009-05-17 11:13:14

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Another week, more goodies.
http://www.uzbl.org/img/screenshot-2.png
See www.uzbl.org for a list of changes

Oh and Wra!th, if you're still following this thread, you can now have a "home page" by telling uzbl to load a certain page in the config file. smile

Last edited by Dieter@be (2009-05-17 18:48:08)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#286 2009-05-17 19:11:33

skualito

I really like your work guys, what a great project. I gave it a try at the beginning and I'm impressed how the experience improved until now.
Long life to uzbl...:)

#287 2009-05-17 19:38:13

Falstaff

Dieter@be wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:
Falstaff wrote:

actually, i added support for the dmenu vertical patch.  if you have dmenu-vertical installed from AUR you can see the tags and page titles, and for load_from_history also the date, and use all that for matching.

Yep, the new solution works nicely. dmenu wasn't suited at all for displaying a lot of text.

Last edited by Falstaff (2009-05-17 19:45:38)

#288 2009-05-18 07:51:17

Frots

Dieter@be wrote:

Oh and Wra!th, if you're still following this thread, you can now have a "home page" by telling uzbl to load a certain page in the config file. smile

If I do this i cannot "open link in new window" anymore (because the uri gets reset to the homepage ofcourse tongue)

#289 2009-05-18 09:10:34

Wra!th

Frots wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

If I do this i cannot "open link in new window" anymore (because the uri gets reset to the homepage ofcourse tongue)

I hadn't been following the project but someone let me know my name was uttered tongue
Fix this bug above and I may give it a shot...I like rob/gotmor's ui smile

Gave it a shot and I don't like it. Crappy defaults, and the scripts are total chaos to a newcomer. You should really consider behaving less like total jackasses on IRC too sad. kthxbai

Last edited by Wra!th (2009-05-18 12:49:16)

MacGregor DESPITE THEM!
7f 45 4c 46 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

#290 2009-05-19 00:01:58

Tel_Janin

I've been using uzbl since last week, and it's been great. All I need to do is figure out per-site CSS manipulation and get downloads working.

Right now, I need to right-click>copy link location to clipboard>wget to download some things.

#291 2009-05-19 13:26:06

brisbin33
Website

hey guys, loving following this project (think i was post 7 in this thread?)

i have one little addition i keep making to the insert bookmark script, maybe others can use it?

grep -q ^$url $file || echo -e "$entry" >> $file

this is a simple way to prevent dupes, still haven't thought about the different tags bit, but i don't really use the tags.

also a quick feature request, or maybe you can teach me how to make it happen in the config

when using the 'just for now' keyboard link following (F to show numbers, f# to follow) i'd love it if hitting F would number the links _and_ put f in the command for you; typing "F f 32" just seems redundant, "F 32" would be better.  but then again, you've mentioned that whole system will change in time, so... anyways, sweet project; i'll be following along as it matures.

Last edited by brisbin33 (2009-05-19 13:26:45)

#292 2009-05-19 18:05:15

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I can say that i have been following this project from the start, and i will definitely start using uzbl when most of the functions of a "normal" browser is working. (Without extensive scripting, or at least wiki pages that help you with the extensive scripting)
You're doing a great job!

#293 2009-05-19 18:29:24

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

brisbin33 wrote:

hey guys, loving following this project (think i was post 7 in this thread?)

i have one little addition i keep making to the insert bookmark script, maybe others can use it?

grep -q ^$url $file || echo -e "$entry" >> $file

this is a simple way to prevent dupes, still haven't thought about the different tags bit, but i don't really use the tags.

also a quick feature request, or maybe you can teach me how to make it happen in the config

when using the 'just for now' keyboard link following (F to show numbers, f# to follow) i'd love it if hitting F would number the links _and_ put f in the command for you; typing "F f 32" just seems redundant, "F 32" would be better.  but then again, you've mentioned that whole system will change in time, so... anyways, sweet project; i'll be following along as it matures.

with your method http://foo/ will match http://foo/bar, http://foo-baz/, etc. (change it to match "^$url ", but even then, you need to watch out with ending '/' characters)
and yeah, the links stuff will improve

Tel_Janin wrote:

I've been using uzbl since last week, and it's been great. All I need to do is figure out per-site CSS manipulation and get downloads working.

Right now, I need to right-click>copy link location to clipboard>wget to download some things.

why not use the sample download script? (which invokes wget on the right argument)

Last edited by Dieter@be (2009-05-19 18:30:41)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#294 2009-05-20 02:09:34

rgwzlfw

I am amazed by the progress you guys have made in under a month. I am going to give uzbl a go in the next couple of days, I think.

I am by no means a software developer, but I have a suggestion for the devs on how to implement a multiple-page interface, without using the abortion that is a tab bar: I suggest that you follow the method used in the text editor scribes. In scribes, different documents are opened in separate windows, which you can iconify or shade or whatever using your window manager of choice. To switch documents, you hit F9, and a window pops up allowing the user to select a document, which is then given focus. With judicious use of multiple desktops and window-management features, you don't need tabs at all. Perhaps with a more vi-like interface, this approach might suit uzbl.

Last edited by rgwzlfw (2009-05-20 02:11:26)

#295 2009-05-20 06:37:11

jouz

brisbin33 wrote:

I already wrote a better linkfollowing-script, but it has some serious bugs (mostly because i added "form-element-following"). I hope i can fix it by tonight and keep you posted!
In future, when we can load files (instead of writing gigantic one-liners of js into the config), i'll provide a bunch of differend approaches/examples to linkfollowing, and everybody can pick/modify easily what he likes best.

#296 2009-05-20 06:47:03

Barrucadu
Website

jouz wrote:

In future, when we can load files (instead of writing gigantic one-liners of js into the config), i'll provide a bunch of differend approaches/examples to linkfollowing, and everybody can pick/modify easily what he likes best.

Loading files is now possible in the experimental branch (or; it will be when the memory problems in the experimental branch are fixed) with the "script" command:

# Excerpt from my ~/.config/uzbl/config

bind T  = script $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/uzbl/scripts/hint.js
bind f_ = js window.location = document.links[%s].href;

Another nice thing in the experimental branch is using environmental vars in SET or BIND commands big_smile

It also has %s replacement in external scripts, when the binding is in the form:

bind x_  = script /path/to/script.js %s

I may add support for more arguments, only one, though, could be dynamic; but if used with an external bash script and the command sent to the FIFO, the other arguments could also be generated at runtime.

Last edited by Barrucadu (2009-05-20 06:49:47)

#297 2009-05-20 13:14:13

jouz

@Barrucadu: Wow that are some great news! I wasn't able to follow irc in the last days... but its so nice to see that the work still is flourishing smile

#298 2009-05-20 17:27:21

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

rgwzlfw wrote:

I am by no means a software developer, but I have a suggestion for the devs on how to implement a multiple-page interface, without using the abortion that is a tab bar: I suggest that you follow the method used in the text editor scribes. In scribes, different documents are opened in separate windows, which you can iconify or shade or whatever using your window manager of choice. To switch documents, you hit F9, and a window pops up allowing the user to select a document, which is then given focus. With judicious use of multiple desktops and window-management features, you don't need tabs at all. Perhaps with a more vi-like interface, this approach might suit uzbl.

What you described is very similar (even a bit a simplified version) of the plan we have.  (read back through the topic to see my explanation)

4 8 15 16 23 42

#299 2009-05-23 10:04:36

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

We now have a mailing list for discussions.
see http://www.uzbl.org/community.php

4 8 15 16 23 42

#300 2009-05-26 06:45:44

robmaloy

Wra!th wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

1) No. alias uzbl to uzbl --uri <your page> if that's what you want.

Haven't looked at the source since like page 3 of the post, but if you alias uzbl to `uzbl --uri <bla>` what are you going to do when you DO want to pass an argument to it and it becomes `uzbl --uri <bla>--uri <newbla>` ?!
Takes like one line of code to check if an argument actually exists... and if not, load homepage.

prepend a backslash:
\uzbl

how can i tell webkit to let the http-proxy server resolve dns??

Last edited by robmaloy (2009-05-26 07:03:01)

☃ Snowman ☃

Board footer