You are not logged in.

#876 2010-05-08 18:49:04

TaylanUB

Re: uzbl. A browser that adheres to the unix philosophy.

rent0n, i think for the "script .../follow.js 'clear'" to work, you need a custom version of the follow.js script.

The code in the post you quoted works for hints by follow.js (the long line with js).

I don't know about the other script. In fact, where does it come from? Just modified follow.js? (I'll try that now.)

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#877 2010-05-08 19:24:55

rent0n
Website

TaylanUB wrote:

rent0n, i think for the "script .../follow.js 'clear'" to work, you need a custom version of the follow.js script.

The code in the post you quoted works for hints by follow.js (the long line with js).

I don't know about the other script. In fact, where does it come from? Just modified follow.js? (I'll try that now.)

Yes you're right: brisbin's solution works perfectly (as always).
I don't know why I was trying to mix things from different posts! roll

edit: for the follow_new_tab.js take a look here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 91#p745391

Last edited by rent0n (2010-05-08 19:29:29)

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#878 2010-05-08 21:48:23

TaylanUB

Thanks, but now i seem to have a general problem with @javascript_windows or the JS function open()...
The variable is set to 1. On invoking open(), with or without a URL argument, the event LOAD_START is triggered, followed by a LOAD_FINISH, and nothing happens.

I use the latest stable uzbl-core and uzbl-browser.

Edit: Wait, that might actually be the WM, i use ratpoison. hmm
Then again, middle-click always works as expected.

Last edited by TaylanUB (2010-05-08 21:50:23)

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#879 2010-05-09 00:08:17

mason.larobina
Website

TaylanUB wrote:

Thanks, but now i seem to have a general problem with @javascript_windows or the JS function open()...
The variable is set to 1. On invoking open(), with or without a URL argument, the event LOAD_START is triggered, followed by a LOAD_FINISH, and nothing happens.

I use the latest stable uzbl-core and uzbl-browser.

Edit: Wait, that might actually be the WM, i use ratpoison. hmm
Then again, middle-click always works as expected.

Are you sure you have set javascript_windows correctly? I only ask because you've added a @ in-front of it. The correct set code is

set javascript_windows = 1

#880 2010-05-09 11:31:29

TaylanUB

Stupid me...

No it was not the variable, but i had this in my config:
@on_event NEW_WINDOW sh 'echo "set uri = $8" > $4'

The 'uzbl terminal' helped me in figuring the problem. smile
@cbind foobar = sh 'footerm -e socat unix-connect:$5 -'
FTW

~ Albert Einstein

#881 2010-05-12 03:02:36

&#32 Greg

I am going to unleash the ugliest bit of code that you've EVER seen into the wild. It's a modified version of Lich's download progress dmenu script that has an Open With option, which downloads whatever to /tmp, calls dmenu with the output of /usr/bin, and then opens the file with the selected program. There are probably a few cases where it screws up because it doesn't pause or something, but it hasn't been tested thoroughly. If anyone would like to make it so that it doesn't make your eyes bleed, please do.

Note: If this really isn't the right place to dump this (I know I normally should put it in the wiki, but it's way too bad) feel free to yell at me.

#!/bin/sh
DOWNLOADER="wget --user-agent=Firefox --content-disposition --load-cookies=$XDG_DATA_HOME/uzbl/cookies.txt"
#DOWNLOADER="curl --progress-bar -O"
URL="$8"
FILENAME=$(basename "$8")
SAVE="Save file"
CANCEL="Cancel saving"
UP=".."
OPEN="Open with"
#If you modify the above 4 variables, make sure you name them in such a manner that you will never have a folder with the same name

TARGET="/data/internet"
FGCOLOR="#CC896D"
BGCOLOR="#1b1b1b"
SELCOLOR="#C4DF90"

#could have "hardcoded" these or course but this is easier in case you want to modify something :)

#->-
while (true); do
DIRLIST=`ls -l $TARGET | grep ^d |  awk '{print $9}'`
if dmenu --help 2>&1 | grep -q '\[-rs\] \[-ni\] \[-nl\] \[-xs\]'
then
    SELECTION=`echo -e -n "$SAVE\n$CANCEL\n$OPEN\n$UP\n$DIRLIST" | dmenu -nb "$BGCOLOR" -nf "$FGCOLOR" -sb "$SELCOLOR" -sf "$BGCOLOR" -p "$TARGET/$FILENAME" -xs -rs -l 20`
else
    SELECTION=`echo -e -n "$SAVE\n$CANCEL\n$OPEN\n$UP\n$DIRLIST" | dmenu -nb "$BGCOLOR" -nf "$FGCOLOR" -sb "$SELCOLOR" -sf "$BGCOLOR" -p "$TARGET/$FILENAME"`
fi
if [ "$SELECTION" = "$SAVE" ]; then 
    break
fi
if [ "$SELECTION" = "$CANCEL" ]; then 
        exit
fi
if [ -z "$SELECTION" ]; then 
        exit
fi
if [ "$SELECTION" = "$OPEN" ]; then
        cd /tmp
    $DOWNLOADER -o ugly_temp_file $URL
    LOADHERE=`cat ugly_temp_file|grep Sav|awk '{print $3}'|cut -d '"' -f 2|cut -d '"' -f 1`
    DMENU=`ls /usr/bin|dmenu`
    $DMENU /tmp/$LOADHERE
    exit
fi
if [ "$SELECTION" = "$UP" ]; then 
        TARGET=$(dirname $TARGET)
else
    TARGET="$TARGET/$SELECTION"
fi
done
#-<-

cd "$TARGET"
xterm -bg "$BGCOLOR" -fg "$FGCOLOR" -title "Download" -e "echo \"Target: $TARGET/\" && $DOWNLOADER $URL && echo \"Download complete. Press any key to close\" && read"

Also note that if you have the vertical patch installed, the $9 should be $8 in the DIRLIST declaration line.  And in my defense with the two cut lines, I tried using tr, but it wouldn't allow me to load the file :\

#882 2010-05-16 11:18:57

Kermit

JohannesSM64 wrote:

- In uzbl-tabbed, the tab titles are only updated when changing tabs

Yeah, it's really annoying ... I found that GTK tabs works correctly - only tablist have that problem. Does somebody know solution for this bug? I'm using the newset Uzbl (core and tabbed) from community repo.

Kermit.

#883 2010-05-23 05:19:18

MreDD
Website

when I share links to twitter from lets say like digg, uzbl will save the info in the whats happening? box
and everytime I open a tab or new window it forever has that title and link i shared,
saved there ready to be sent again. How can i keep that from happening?
Does anyone know how I can prevent it from saving that instance in the cokies?

...MikereDD
:Go Away & Give My Pillow Back!!:
aur pkgbuilds - mostly fortune-mod's & fonts

#884 2010-05-24 14:23:17

calle

@ptcek
you have to get the latest version of libsoup (2.3.1). I've had the same error using v2.28. Also maybe the dependencies of uzbl should be adjusted accordingly.

ptcek wrote:

Uzbl now crashes immediately after it starts... (today i updated via pacman)

~>uzbl-core
uzbl-core: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libwebkit-1.0.so.2: undefined symbol: soup_message_set_first_party

~>uzbl-core -V
Commit: ae15d257a858fe27090f3e5798357aea2f5a76da

Anyone has seen this error?

#885 2010-05-25 13:28:57

TaylanUB

Anyone think there's a chance Uzbl will switch to xsel (in place of xclip)?
It's basically the same thing with more features and slightly more practical syntax.

Oh and, how to disable JS?

Last edited by TaylanUB (2010-05-25 13:31:41)

~ Albert Einstein

#886 2010-05-25 15:30:02

alterecco

I would support moving to xsel as well. To change this manually is however not a big deal, imo

#887 2010-05-26 09:26:35

TaylanUB

Oh, i was referring to the uzbl-browser dependency. Changing it is a 5 minute job in the config, but managing an ignored dependency is annoying.

~ Albert Einstein

#888 2010-05-26 15:21:34

alterecco

Of course, you are right... I have been building myself, so I completely forgot about that.

#889 2010-05-27 00:40:25

Trindol

Berticus wrote:

It seems now uzbl-browser doesn't work if I start it from dmenu. It works fine when I start it from terminal, get all the same warnings.

What I don't understand is why it needs icedtea, this is for the isitworking page. I suspect that's what's causing it to crash, although I don't know why it works in the terminal.

Not sure what you mean about icedtea (I don't have it and the is it working page loads), but I have the same problem with dmenu.

If I load uzbl through dmenu (which I run with a keybind, openbox), the uzbl home page loads. Everything's ok. When I try to go to another page it begins to load, gets stuck, and crashes hard. In fact, all open windows, pidgin, and checkgmail (in the tray) and lxpanel become unresponsive. I can still open a terminal and use killall to return to normal though. uzbl works just fine if I launch through a terminal. It also works fine if I do dmenu_run in a terminal (i.e. not the keybind), then run uzbl from that. Perhaps a problem with dmenu then...

Last edited by Trindol (2010-05-27 02:50:42)

#890 2010-05-27 09:31:20

rent0n
Website

As far as I know the problem is related to openjdk.
If started from the terminal uzbl works fine, if started via dmenu o a keybind it fails to display some pages and crashes.

A workaround is to install sun jdk instead of openjdk.

pacman -S jdk jre

rent0n@deviantART | rent0n@bitbucket | rent0n@identi.ca | LRU #337812
aspire: Acer Aspire 5920 Arch Linux x86_64 | beetle: Gericom Beetle G733 Arch Linux i686

#891 2010-05-27 09:48:48

Trindol

I don't have openjdk6, jre, or jdk installed.

#892 2010-05-29 17:22:22

MreDD
Website

with uzbl, can anyone play anything from http://hulu.com or http://crackle.com with out it being sluggish?
firefox play the video's fine.

Last edited by MreDD (2010-05-29 17:29:16)

...MikereDD

#893 2010-05-29 18:15:14

TaylanUB

Flash in general is extremely sluggish for me.
Uzbl probably adds to it, but you know Flash generally sucks.

~ Albert Einstein

#894 2010-05-30 16:53:11

MreDD
Website

agreed on the flash sucks. XD
shame.. I'll stick to watching hulu & crackle from FF or Chrome+

...MikereDD

#895 2010-05-31 02:38:20

jwbirdsong

MreDD wrote:

with uzbl, can anyone play anything from http://hulu.com or http://crackle.com with out it being sluggish?
firefox play the video's fine.

It is pretty sluggish for me too (crackle at least) .. but it does NOT seem to be uzbl's fault entirely.  I get EXACTLY the same behavior w/ Midori so it seem to be more of a webkit issue than strictly uzbl.

As for hulu I've got the 64bit flash issue so can't really compare/chaeck that.

but you know Flash generally sucks.

QTF

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#896 2010-06-15 18:59:51

TaylanUB

I made an 'edit' in the wiki here, and someone with better knowledge than me might want to clear it up.
(There's no discussion pages, unfortunately.)

~ Albert Einstein

#897 2010-06-18 23:13:24

brisbin33
Website

XMonad has a great extension (X.U.Loggers) which exports a logCmd function.  With this, you can insert the output of any script into your statusbar (think conky exec).  The script will be called and the output updated with every X event.

After noticing a refresh in Uzbl bringing my system to it's knees (user-interaction-wise), I realized this logCmd was to blame.  My two scripts (one to show available updates, the other the status of my active torrents) are fine on their own.  The problem is that a single "R" in Uzbl generates exactly 36 X events.  For comparison, calling "refresh" in Chromium yields 3.

I've tracked the problem to uzbl-browser.  If i open uzbl-core and echo 'reload' > $its_fifo I get only 3 X events.

My uzbl config can be found here

The following are the uzbl related processes running when I see the behavior:

patrick  15280  0.3  1.3 377596 52892 ?        Sl   18:23   0:08 uzbl-core -u file:///srv/http/shared/bookmarks.html --connect-socket /home/patrick/.cache/uzbl/event_daemon
patrick  21445  0.0  0.2  73812  9532 ?        S    Jun17   0:03 python /usr/share/uzbl/examples/data/scripts/uzbl-cookie-daemon start
patrick  21447  0.0  0.2  74236  9900 ?        S    Jun17   0:09 python /usr/bin/uzbl-cookie-daemon -v start
patrick  21898  0.0  0.2  55576  8068 ?        S    Jun17   0:09 python /usr/bin/uzbl-event-manager -va start

The page I'm doing the test reloads on (I've done them on a bunch of different pages though) is a flat HTML page with nothing special going on.  I've also run uzbl-browser in a terminal and watched the output; the page (re)loads and all terminal output stops rather quickly, but the X-events just keep firing.

I'm not bashing Uzbl (I've actually ditched the locCmd in its favor of it up to this point), I would just love to be able to use both.

Any help appreciated.

#898 2010-06-19 15:13:26

TaylanUB

Could it be something with "@on_event LOAD_COMMIT" in your config?
The progress bar for example.

~ Albert Einstein

#899 2010-06-19 16:41:59

Xlator

Started playing with uzbl yesterday, and loved it from the start. Firefox is a complete dog on my machine for whatever reason. A few minor issues irk me though.

1. Cookie handling. I cannot log out from any sites. I tried using the whitelist option so I didn't get a ton of cookies every time I visit a site, but this broke the cookies completely; no cookies were being registered, the cookie file remained empty.

2. I can't get middle clicking on a link to open it in a new tab.

@on_event   NEW_WINDOW     event NEW_TAB %s

This lets me open new tabs by right clicking and selecting "Open in new window". I tried to bind this to the middle mouse button, but middle clicking just gives me a blank new tab:

@bind <Button2> = event NEW_WINDOW

I got one really nice thing working though. By installing fbcmd from AUR and binding it in uzbl, I can update my Facebook status right from uzbl without going to Facebook. Quite nice. ^^

@cbind FB<Status:>_ = sh '/usr/bin/fbcmd status "%s"'

EDIT: Solved my cookie issues by replacing the uzbl-cookie-daemon with uzblcookied by jakeprobst. Doesn't seem to have a whitelist option, but I'll take it for now seeing as it works properly. :)

EDIT 2: I should probably learn to read threads more thoroughly. :)

aeosynth wrote:
bharani wrote:

Can anyone tell me how to make uzbl-tabbed to open links in new tab using middle click

@bind  <Button2>  = sh 'if [ "\@SELECTED_URI" ]; then echo "event NEW_TAB \@SELECTED_URI" > $4; fi'

It's basically a combination of these two binds:

#@bind  <Button2>  = sh 'if [ "\@SELECTED_URI" ]; then uzbl-browser -u "\@SELECTED_URI"; else echo "uri $(xclip -o)" > $4; fi'
#@cbind  gp              = sh 'echo "event NEW_TAB `xclip -selection primary -o`" > $4'

Last edited by Xlator (2010-06-19 18:02:51)

#900 2010-06-20 13:39:23

Stalafin

I installed uzbl-browser from [community].When I open a link in a new instance of uzbl, it happens quite frequently that the new instance is loading the link, and after it is finished, it simply exits/closes itself.

I have no idea why this is or how to check for why this happens.

Board footer