You are not logged in.

#951 2010-08-25 13:37:21

MadSaltoren

Re: uzbl. A browser that adheres to the unix philosophy.

Trindol wrote:

Not sure what you mean about icedtea (I don't have it and the is it working page loads), but I have the same problem with dmenu.

If I load uzbl through dmenu (which I run with a keybind, openbox), the uzbl home page loads. Everything's ok. When I try to go to another page it begins to load, gets stuck, and crashes hard. In fact, all open windows, pidgin, and checkgmail (in the tray) and lxpanel become unresponsive. I can still open a terminal and use killall to return to normal though. uzbl works just fine if I launch through a terminal. It also works fine if I do dmenu_run in a terminal (i.e. not the keybind), then run uzbl from that. Perhaps a problem with dmenu then...

I have the same problem. When uzbl started from a terminal(or bashrun) all seems fine. But when started from a keybind(Awesome WM) or via dmenu it crashes. To be more precise it crashes when I choose a bookmark 'u'(via dmenu) or a page from history 'U'(via dmenu). Whole desktop just freezes. Ideas? I can run it from a terminal(or bashrun) but it's annoying. I'd rather launch via keybind. Someone mentioned earlier taht it could be related to jdk/jre. I tried with openjdk/jdk or without them. The error still occurs.

Last edited by MadSaltoren (2010-08-25 13:41:12)

#952 2010-08-27 15:16:46

ybotspawn

Alright, im sorry I know this is probably documented somewhere but I'm not seeing it (yes I've read the readme smile how do I end an insert mode and have the text commit to the text field.  Currently I'm trying to put text into a field (for example google) and the insert command doesn't place the text into said field... Sorry I know its a dumb questiion...

Mod note: moved to uzbl thread

Last edited by litemotiv (2010-08-27 15:49:45)

"As long as people are going to call you a lunatic anyway,
why not get the benefit of it? It liberates you from convention. "

#953 2010-08-27 18:25:29

TaylanUB

In the default/sample configuration, 'i' starts insert mode, and Esc ends it.

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#954 2010-08-27 18:33:18

ybotspawn

Yeah I tried that but the text does not show up on the said text field.  I have not yet made any configuration changes

#955 2010-08-27 18:42:42

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

Have you created the config?

#956 2010-08-27 18:46:59

ybotspawn

It is the default config but yes

#957 2010-08-27 18:47:46

TaylanUB

"how do I end an insert mode and have the text commit to the text field"

Your question sounds wrong now that i re-read it: The text isn't 'commited' when you exit insert mode; when you enter insert mode, all keypresses are passed to the web-page (even if it's also binded to a key in uzbl) until you exit insert mode.

While pressing 'i', are you sure the uzbl command line is empty?

``Common sense is nothing more than a deposit of prejudices laid down by the mind before you reach eighteen.''
~ Albert Einstein

#958 2010-08-27 20:13:19

nomilieu

Try digging back in this thread a bit. Somewhat recently there was an update and using an older config caused insert mode not to work.

#959 2010-08-30 00:00:43

Trindol

MadSaltoren wrote:
Trindol wrote:

Not sure what you mean about icedtea (I don't have it and the is it working page loads), but I have the same problem with dmenu.

If I load uzbl through dmenu (which I run with a keybind, openbox), the uzbl home page loads. Everything's ok. When I try to go to another page it begins to load, gets stuck, and crashes hard. In fact, all open windows, pidgin, and checkgmail (in the tray) and lxpanel become unresponsive. I can still open a terminal and use killall to return to normal though. uzbl works just fine if I launch through a terminal. It also works fine if I do dmenu_run in a terminal (i.e. not the keybind), then run uzbl from that. Perhaps a problem with dmenu then...

I have the same problem. When uzbl started from a terminal(or bashrun) all seems fine. But when started from a keybind(Awesome WM) or via dmenu it crashes. To be more precise it crashes when I choose a bookmark 'u'(via dmenu) or a page from history 'U'(via dmenu). Whole desktop just freezes. Ideas? I can run it from a terminal(or bashrun) but it's annoying. I'd rather launch via keybind. Someone mentioned earlier taht it could be related to jdk/jre. I tried with openjdk/jdk or without them. The error still occurs.

This problem seems to have gone away for me with version 2010.08.05-01.

#960 2010-09-16 18:51:25

hatten

I'm trying to keep edits to the config in another file to easily be able to reapply my changes when the default config changes, but it refuses to work.
~/.config/uzbl/custom_config

@cbind J = scroll vertical 90%
@cbind K = scroll vertical -90%

#uzbl told me to use cat/include to "source" my custom config, but neither works.

include /home/hatten/.config/uzbl/custom_config

what am I doing wrong?

#961 2010-09-17 09:00:46

TaylanUB

You sure the 'cbind' variable is initialized before including the file? That'd be my best bet.

Otherwise, it could be that the file - for whatever reason - doesn't have read access.

~ Albert Einstein

#962 2010-09-17 14:59:33

hatten

-rw-r--r-- 1 hatten hatten 13717 Sep 16 21:41 config
-rw-r--r-- 1 hatten hatten    69 Sep 16 20:09 custom_config

And I've tried to both put the include in the end and right under the other keybindings.

EDIT: nvm, it decided to work now for some strange reason, thanks anyway.

Last edited by hatten (2010-09-17 15:02:53)

#963 2010-09-30 00:00:31

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

jasonwryan wrote:

I have just started getting the following message when I try and visit the forums:

Bad Request
Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.
Cookie: funnydot_hash=FeRr1QfQKN2Jh_gcBZr7tMuxzmfNKWI7HifdPRfRAZ4.; punbb_cookie=PgZRmgWZ0hEYi_rrdsahbgDwF_ ...

I have flushed my cookie cache, to no effect. Any other thoughts or explanations?

# edit: Deleting cookies.txt and stopping the daemon fixed it - but I am none the wiser as to why it happened...

This now happens every 3-4 weeks: is anyone else encountering it? The fix is straightforward enough, but it would be good to know why it is happening and what I could do to prevent it.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#964 2010-09-30 04:35:28

fsckd
Forum Fellow

jasonwryan wrote:

This now happens every 3-4 weeks: is anyone else encountering it? The fix is straightforward enough, but it would be good to know why it is happening and what I could do to prevent it.

I do not see that output.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#965 2010-10-06 12:26:04

shak

Is there a way i can have a similar download approach like in firefox ? I want to select a directory each time a download a file and maybe a progress bar. I've checked the uzbl site but i still don't get it how i can use the scripts .

#966 2010-10-06 17:17:51

TaylanUB

shak wrote:

Is there a way i can have a similar download approach like in firefox ? I want to select a directory each time a download a file and maybe a progress bar. I've checked the uzbl site but i still don't get it how i can use the scripts .

Yes you can! Possibilities are just endless with Uzbl; but at this time you might have to script it yourself.

Directory selection can be done with zenity.
Both wget and curl have progress bars.

Using this as your download handler (default is 'download.sh'; see it in the config) will pop up zenity directory selection and then a terminal emulator (i used xterm in this example) with a command-line downloader (i used wget in this example):

#!/bin/sh

get="wget --user-agent=Firefox --load-cookies='$XDG_DATA_HOME'/uzbl/cookies.txt --content-disposition"

url=$8
export http_proxy=$9
test "$url" || exit 1

cd "$(zenity --file-selection --directory)"

xterm -e /bin/sh -c "$get '$uri'; read _"

The "read _" makes the terminal window remain open after wget finishes, until you hit enter.

~ Albert Einstein

#967 2010-10-06 18:47:02

hatten

Is it possible to, when going into insert mode, go into a special insert mode (shift-i) that launches vim with a tmp-file, and when you quit vim the content of the file is inserted into the text field?

Eg
fl45 //go to text field, it automatically enters normal insert
escape //go back to CMD mode
shift+i //start the keybinding that does:

xterm -e Tmp/textfile
//enters text, :wq's in vim
cat Tmp/textfile > textfield

In a crude bash-syntax-looking way.

#968 2010-10-07 00:55:47

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Insert mode seems to be "pass key events directly to webkit"; better called pass-through mode.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#969 2010-10-07 07:07:55

TaylanUB

While lying in bed this morning (well i *just* got up), i thought of how we could make a download handler that doesn't spawn a new terminal for each download, but starts subsequent downloads in the already opened terminal. Just like the Firefox downloader.

That's possible with this approach; and with some additional hackery, we could even make this remember and display old downloads (even more just like the Firefox downloader) :

Make a download daemon that "waits" (say in an infinite 'sleep 3' loop, checking a FIFO or something each time) for download commands.
Make the actual download handler of uzbl check if the daemon is running and start it if it's not (or we might start it at boot), and then send the command.

Will work on actual code later on.
Extending the daemon to notify other programs of the progress shouldn't be too hard. So you could, for example, put a progress bar (or more likely a percentage number, for shortness) on your system status bar or similar app (conky, xmobar, dzen2...).

~ Albert Einstein

#970 2010-10-08 11:28:21

shak

Thanks for your help . Is there a way so that the facebook chat can work ?

#971 2010-10-08 12:59:11

collards

Hi guys,

I've been playing with uzbl for a couple months now, and although I am not sure I have the technical background to really make it sing, I'm enjoying the learning process that comes from customizing it.  I wonder if anyone could help me with two persistent problems.

1) Cookies - I have heard that the out of the box cookie mgr is not the best option, but I can't figure out how to use either of the two managers posted on the scripts page of the wiki (This likely comes from not fully understanding how git works).

2) Is there a way to create a carat like function in uzbl so that I can do mouse highlighting via the keyboard for copying text?

Thanks!

#972 2010-10-08 14:30:04

hatten

fsckd wrote:

Insert mode seems to be "pass key events directly to webkit"; better called pass-through mode.

So it's "impossible" (read not worth the effort)?

#973 2010-10-11 11:52:56

shak

TaylanUB wrote:
shak wrote:

Yes you can! Possibilities are just endless with Uzbl; but at this time you might have to script it yourself.

Directory selection can be done with zenity.
Both wget and curl have progress bars.

Using this as your download handler (default is 'download.sh'; see it in the config) will pop up zenity directory selection and then a terminal emulator (i used xterm in this example) with a command-line downloader (i used wget in this example):

#!/bin/sh

get="wget --user-agent=Firefox --load-cookies='$XDG_DATA_HOME'/uzbl/cookies.txt --content-disposition"

url=$8
export http_proxy=$9
test "$url" || exit 1

cd "$(zenity --file-selection --directory)"

xterm -e /bin/sh -c "$get '$uri'; read _"

The "read _" makes the terminal window remain open after wget finishes, until you hit enter.

And how do i actually use this ? Where do i put it so that uzbl can use it ?

#974 2010-10-11 12:36:52

TaylanUB

shak wrote:

Thanks for your help . Is there a way so that the facebook chat can work ?

I don't really use Facebook so don't know.

But it _sounds_ like an issue that would need deeper changes in Uzbl.
MSN (live.com) chat works. Blame freaky web developers! tongue

Though one thing that comes to my mind now is that it could be a 'useragent' issue.
The useragent string tells websites what software you use (usually OS, browser, etc. with versions). Some websites disable features when they see a useragent that doesn't belong to one of the big famous browsers.
Uzbl can fully change its useragent though; you can see it in the config file.
I keep mine as a Google Chrome useragent on default, and even have a short command that changes it to a Firefox one.

You can search Google (or Scroogle) for useragent strings, or use this:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.6 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/7.0.500.0 Safari/534.6

hatten wrote:
fsckd wrote:

So it's "impossible" (read not worth the effort)?

I was going to correct you guys earlier but thought you probably know this already:

Uzbl is still aware of all keypresses while in insert-mode, and can act upon them. In the default config, there's the @ibind variable, which works as an alias for the command to bind insert-mode keys.
Also, binding keys 'globally' (@bind in default config) makes them work in all modes including insert. On the other hand, there's @cbind for command-mode, and most keys are bound with that one, and that's why they don't work in insert-mode.

If it would be impossible for Uzbl to catch keys while in insert-mode, we would have no way to exit it! wink

Additional info, because my -v switch is on today:

Any number of modes can be crafted with Uzbl's config system, and this insert-mode we're talking about is just one of the default ones in the default config. What makes insert-mode work like it does (pass keys to webkit) is just that when you enter it, it sets the variable "forward_keys" to 1 (true/enabled).

shak wrote:

And how do i actually use this ? Where do i put it so that uzbl can use it ?

Put it where ever you keep your Uzbl scripts; on default that's ~/.local/share/uzbl/scripts, and name it for example ff-download.sh (ff for Firefox, since it behaves like that), then in your Uzbl config, set your 'download handler' to that, with e.g. this line for the default config:
@on_event DOWNLOAD_REQUEST spawn \@scripts_dir/ff-download.sh %s \@proxy_url

There should be a similar one already, with 'download.sh' instead of 'ff-download.sh'.

Of course you could also just move (overwrite) it onto the old download.sh.

Last edited by TaylanUB (2010-10-11 12:39:53)

~ Albert Einstein

#975 2010-10-11 13:44:44

equilibrium
Website

I like the idea behind this browser big_smile

Just spent ages looking for a twitter client which didn't depend on adobe-air and also had oath support but all I could find was ttytter.
So I had an idea, why not use uzbl-browser with mobile.twitter.com

looks really nice at the side of the screen

Archlinux x86_64 | Github | acer chromebook c7 (arch)

Board footer