You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-29 20:09:20

Intruder89

Re: XOrg freezing my system...

Hm are you sure a problem is with Xorg and not with HAL? I reinstalled Arch today and had similiar problem. When I configured over a X, then nvidia-xconfig all was fine but when I try to test it - nothing happens - couldn`t even switch to another VC. Then I started HAL and that helped me on the way I could change VC and stop X but still was frozen. So I just pass ahead and tried xterm ... works fine.

There is some bug when you try to test X with "X -config ...." I don`t know why. I even installed gnome after that (yes, all the time I couldn`t test X with "X -config ..." but I didn`t after that even tried to work it out)...

Try to install some WM like Gnome or KDE or whatever - just skip a test ... the best thing is to try test X whit xinit and xterm - when I started X with xterm ... all was fine (mouse, keyboard etc..) but again when I tested it - freeze.

Last edited by Intruder89 (2009-06-29 20:10:12)

#27 2009-06-29 20:16:11

dr0p

Intruder89 wrote:

Hm are you sure a problem is with Xorg and not with HAL? I reinstalled Arch today and had similiar problem. When I configured over a X, then nvidia-xconfig all was fine but when I try to test it - nothing happens - couldn`t even switch to another VC. Then I started HAL and that helped me on the way I could change VC and stop X but still was frozen. So I just pass ahead and tried xterm ... works fine.

There is some bug when you try to test X with "X -config ...." I don`t know why. I even installed gnome after that (yes, all the time I couldn`t test X with "X -config ..." but I didn`t after that even tried to work it out)...

Try to install some WM like Gnome or KDE or whatever - just skip a test ... the best thing is to try test X whit xinit and xterm - when I started X with xterm ... all was fine (mouse, keyboard etc..) but again when I tested it - freeze.

Thanks but, believe it or not I did try that, and it's not the problem in my case, it's the nvidia driver.

Edit: I also tried using the nv driver and it works better than vesa but has major performance issues still. Anyways, bug posted: http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/15315

Last edited by dr0p (2009-06-29 20:39:12)

Arch i686 User
xmonad :: xmobar :: urxvt :: vim

#28 2009-06-29 22:36:20

Intruder89

Hm .. and that same driver works fine for me big_smile

#29 2009-06-30 15:41:25

MrShlee

I finally had a chance to check this out... I reinstalled in the following order

1)pacman -S xorg
2)pacman -S xf68-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse
3)pacman -S synaptics
4)startx - at this point, a really basic xterm started as expected
5)pacman -S nvidia
5)x -configure
6)cp /root/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
7) obvious tweaks to the xorg.conf
8)startx - at this point, the nvidia logo kicked in and it showed the larger resolution.

shortly after, I installed gnome... so it seems like the additional inputs are causing an issue

The nvidia driver still has issues, but it boots.

Update: When I shut down/reboot.. 
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7950/phototqt.jpg
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/3875/photo2rlw.jpg

Last edited by MrShlee (2009-06-30 17:59:39)

Board footer