You are not logged in.

#101 2010-06-06 17:51:22

tonyisnt

Re: Put your $HOME in .home!

gdm-session-worker

EDIT: When launching into Openbox from tty2 everything is working as is should.  I'm not sure if the difference is because I'm logging in first and then launching xinit, or if gdm is messing something up.  But to clarify once again: without gdm things are going into .config/ as they should and 'echo $LD_PRELOAD' returns libetc.so.0.

Last edited by tonyisnt (2010-06-06 17:58:48)

#102 2010-06-06 18:22:01

Sloonz

Okay, after googling, it seems that gdm doesn't loads environment variables in ~/.xinitrc, ~/.xsession, ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile nor ~/.bashrc.

See http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11520

So, there's plenty ways, but there are all ugly : write your own X startup script, change something in /etc/gdm/Xsession or /etc/Xsession.d, or modify the /etc/gdm/gdm.conf file.
I think the least bad one is to add a file named "10-profile.sh" in /etc/Xsession.d which contains "test -f $HOME/.bash_profile && source $HOME/.bash_profile"

Any libetc + gnome user around here ?

#103 2010-06-06 18:22:54

r6

Sloonz wrote:
r6 wrote:

I still sometimes get a ~/.viminfo file with libetc,

Me too, but that's because I sometimes run vim under a non-X environnment, and I have put LD_PRELOAD in my .xsession. Perhaps that's your problem too.

It was showing up even in X. I ended up changing the viminfo path in vimrc.

set viminfo='100,<50,s10,h,n/home/beau/.config/viminfo

#104 2010-06-06 18:44:11

tonyisnt

Sloonz wrote:

I think the least bad one is to add a file named "10-profile.sh" in /etc/Xsession.d which contains "test -f $HOME/.bash_profile && source $HOME/.bash_profile"

I didn't have /etc/Xsession.d, but I improvised and seemed to have found a method that worked.

Here's what I did.  I created /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/10-profile and put this in it:

#/bin/bash
test -f $HOME/.bash_profile && source $HOME/.bash_profile

Chmod'd it and it seems like it did the trick.

Thanks a ton, Sloonz!  I highly doubt I would have figured that out by myself.

#105 2010-06-06 19:30:17

skanky

Sloonz wrote:
skanky wrote:

How will the first one affect performance? Will it have to read the config files every time it's used?

libetc is reloaded each time a program is loaded into memory, in the same way that libc, libgtk… is loaded whenever an application that link it is loaded — that's how LD_PRELOAD works
I don't think it will affect performance.

Makes sense, thanks.

"...one cannot be angry when one looks at a penguin."  - John Ruskin
"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#106 2010-06-06 21:33:29

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Sloonz wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

Yes, this is quite a different approach. However, the way i see it is that the "from" values (in my column 1) are by definition subdirectories/files in your home, so they actually mean $HOME/SomeApp/... and so on.

You're right smile
But IMO, an application which writes in your home, in visible files, without asking you is broken. Do you think of any concrete application which behave like "SomeApp" ?

You're asking for examples of apps that automatically write into files directories that have no '.' prefix?
The first ones that come to mind are rosegarden (~/rosegarden directory), firefox (~/Downloads directory), but there are more. I think i've seen this also with some games and/or proprietary utilities.
And yes, there are indeed many broken apps out there. And some are broken in different ways. But that's what we're trying to solve, right? wink

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#107 2010-06-07 10:32:43

r6

Chromium is borked with libetc. See: http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=88006

#108 2010-06-09 02:49:01

tonyisnt

Things are working as they are supposed to be now, but I've noticed two other things.

The first is that while Firefox work, greasemonkey fails to load or its scripts fail to load. 

The second is that after installing Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, PunkBuster simply would not activate.  I exited the game and restarted it a bunch of times, trying to enable PB each time, only to realize it wasn't going to work.  Enemy Territory: Quake Wars simply wouldn't play at all.

I don't know if I should pass this along to someone or if the maintainers have become people in this thread.

#109 2010-06-13 11:40:58

Sloonz

Okay, just found the origin of the chromium issue :
$ mkdir test
$ cd test
$ rmdir ~/test
$ ls
[crash of ls, shell and terminal]
And yes, chromium-sandbox delete its current working directory — don't ask why.

I'll also look at greasemonkey issue. I never managed to get greasemonkey working, but never linked it to libetc (I thought I was probably missing something).

For the games, I don't have 3D drivers, so I can't help you, sorry. Beside, debugging non-open-source program is way too hard. But perhaps fixing the greasemonkey & chromium issues will fix these games.
Are they native apps or wine apps ?

#110 2010-06-13 13:13:34

Sloonz

Okay, chromium issue fixed now smile

#111 2010-06-13 13:28:14

r6

Cheers Sloonz, chromium is working big_smile

With Greasemonkey, the error console shows this:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST) [nsILocalFile.normalize]"  nsresult: "0x80520006 (NS_ERROR_FILE_TARGET_DOES_NOT_EXIST)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://greasemonkey/content/config.js :: anonymous :: line 495"  data: no]

So if you go where it says, (line 495 of chrome://greasemonkey/content/config.js), it's a function that seems to be putting together a path to the script. That's as far as I've got.

#112 2010-06-13 23:25:56

Sloonz

Greasemonkey issue fixed. Tonyinst, can you check wether it did fix your problems with ET & co ? There's a small possibility this last change did…

Last edited by Sloonz (2010-06-13 23:26:44)

#113 2010-06-16 10:58:21

r6

Not working for me (greasemonkey)

#114 2010-06-17 10:46:20

skanky

If using the AUR package, is the only way to update to reinstall? No problem if so, just checking. smile

"Life in general is a bit shit, and so too is the internet. And that's all there is." - scepticisle

#115 2010-06-20 17:32:25

tonyisnt

Greasemonkey works for me, but both ETs still have problems.  ETQW at least opens now, but crashes immediately after starting with this as the output (if it'll help clear up other issues):

dlopen '/home/tony/.etqwcl/base/gamex86.so' failed: /home/tony/.etqwcl/base/gamex86.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
0x0
[0x082e80e1]
[0x081a015a]
[0x0819aab5]
[0x0819e640]
[0x0819eb12]
[0x0819ecee]
[0x083dc374]
[0xb72c0c76]
[0x0804ca41]
FATAL ERROR: couldn't load game dynamic library
8/8/8/8 RGBA bits, 24 depth bits, 8 stencil bits
no multisampling
vsync: off
initializating SDL Joysticks
initialized 0 controller(s)
--------------- BSE Shutdown ----------------
---------------------------------------------
Shutting down sound hardware
----------- Alsa Shutdown ------------
close mic pcm
close pcm
dlclose
--------------------------------------
Shutting down SDL subsystem
idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Sys_Error: couldn't load game dynamic library

W:ET still opens up, as before, but punkbuster fails to start.

#116 2010-06-21 08:42:37

Sloonz

r6 wrote:

Not working for me (greasemonkey)

Just tried on another machine, and the "Hello world" script (http://diveintogreasemonkey.org/helloworld/divein.html) works. Can you :
- Try the hello world script ? If it works for you, just give me the script that doesn't works
- If it doesn't, check that you have the latest revision of libetc (git log | head -n 1 in path_containing_PKGBUILD/src/libetc should give commit 964d65ee1d5756da703936250094184cf54c5c55)

tonyisnt wrote:

Greasemonkey works for me, but both ETs still have problems.  ETQW at least opens now, but crashes immediately after starting with this as the output (if it'll help clear up other issues):

Okay, I see the problem. I'll fix that smile

#117 2010-06-21 09:28:57

Sloonz

skanky wrote:

If using the AUR package, is the only way to update to reinstall? No problem if so, just checking. smile

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but you can keep the libetc-experimental-git package in /var/abs/local, and makepkg -i will update to latest git commit.

#118 2010-06-21 10:19:13

skanky

Sloonz wrote:
skanky wrote:

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but you can keep the libetc-experimental-git package in /var/abs/local, and makepkg -i will update to latest git commit.

Thanks - two ways of doing the same thing - yours is quicker. wink

#119 2010-06-21 10:41:47

Sloonz

@tonyisnt : can you test latest version ? ETQW issue should be fixed now

#120 2010-06-21 18:42:09

tonyisnt

ETQW works fine, and whatever you did fixed PB, so Wolfenstein now works too.  I was fine with having those two folders on the LIBETC_IGNORE line, but this is still better.  big_smile  Thanks again, and props for being so active about it all.

#121 2010-06-25 07:59:37

Dinth

Ive installed libetc and put it to my .xinitrc and .bashrc. Later ive uninstalled it, but now i cannot find .xinitrc and .bashrc anywhere on disk, so i cannot remove it from there. How can i fix this ?

#122 2010-07-03 07:09:56

Acheron

Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I gave up on comix and libetc for a while, but catching up and reading that Chromium should now work I tried installing the latest version (libetc-experimental-git-20100703-1) and encountered a much bigger problem.  Soon after installing it, my OpenBox / X session crashed when I tried to exit to the console (not necessarily related), requiring a hard reboot, and when I attempted to start X after logging in to the console, I got an error reading

ck-launch-session symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libetc.so: undefined symbol: dlsym

Then upon opening a tmux session from that console, more errors were reported.

/bin/ls: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libetc.so: undefined symbol: dlsym
/usr/bin/tty: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libetc.so: undefined symbol: dlsym

At this point, I reinstalled the version I had been running (libetc-experimental-git-20100605-1), and everything was back to normal.

I have comix 4.0.4-3
When I just run "comix", I have the message "there are deprecated files on your computer"

LD_PRELOAD= ls ~/.comix says "no such file or directory"

And if I run "LIBETC_IGNORE=.comix comix", I don't have the "there are deprecated files on your computer anymore". This message is here because comix is doing something like this :

if(exists(~/.comix)) message("there are deprecated files")

libetc translates $home/.comix to $home/.config/comix, which exists (has been created by comix). So comix thinks that ~/.comix exists and display the message. That's why LIBETC_IGNORE=.comix should fix the issue, and indeed does for me. Are you sure you are using libetc-experimental-git ? There's no LIBETC_IGNORE in libetc-0.4

Though it's much less important than getting the latest libetc to work at all, in answer to your questions I definitely was running libetc-experimental-git, and when I run "LD_PRELOAD= ls ~/.comix" it responds "no such file or directory".  When I try executing "LIBETC_IGNORE=.comix comix", the "deprecated files" message is also missing for me.  In short, everything is the same for me except that when I run comix, the entry reading LIBETC_IGNORE=.comix in both my xsession and xinitrc appears to be ignored.  I get the feeling that my configuration must be messed up somehow, I just don't know in what way.

#123 2010-07-05 12:36:52

Sloonz

Dinth wrote:

Ive installed libetc and put it to my .xinitrc and .bashrc. Later ive uninstalled it, but now i cannot find .xinitrc and .bashrc anywhere on disk, so i cannot remove it from there. How can i fix this ?

If you don't have a .xinitrc, you don't have to remove anything. But it's strange that you don't have a .bashrc at least

Acheron wrote:

Sorry for the long delay in responding, but I gave up on comix and libetc for a while, but catching up and reading that Chromium should now work I tried installing the latest version (libetc-experimental-git-20100703-1) and encountered a much bigger problem.  Soon after installing it, my OpenBox / X session crashed when I tried to exit to the console (not necessarily related), requiring a hard reboot, and when I attempted to start X after logging in to the console, I got an error reading

ck-launch-session symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libetc.so: undefined symbol: dlsym

Another strange problem. Try to install libetc without adding it to .bashrc/.xsession/.whatever, and "LD_PRELOAD=libetc.so ls" in a terminal. Do you have the same error ? If so, what's the result of ldd /usr/lib/libetc.so ?

Last edited by Sloonz (2010-07-05 12:37:05)

#124 2010-07-05 13:41:14

skanky

Sloonz wrote:
Acheron wrote:

Another strange problem. Try to install libetc without adding it to .bashrc/.xsession/.whatever, and "LD_PRELOAD=libetc.so ls" in a terminal. Do you have the same error ? If so, what's the result of ldd /usr/lib/libetc.so ?

Hello, I got that error a week or so ago. I was away and didn't have time and access to post on here. I got it after updating with a makepkg, but building libetc manually fixed it. Could it be an issue in the PKGBUILD? I may get a chance to try and reproduce it this week, but certainly not for the next day or two.

#125 2010-07-05 13:55:36

Acheron

skanky wrote:

Hello, I got that error a week or so ago. I was away and didn't have time and access to post on here. I got it after updating with a makepkg, but building libetc manually fixed it. Could it be an issue in the PKGBUILD? I may get a chance to try and reproduce it this week, but certainly not for the next day or two.

I haven't had a chance to follow Sloonz's instructions and see what results, but to corroborate your experience, I did encounter this after rebuilding the package.  As it didn't seem that the PKGBUILD had been updated on the AUR page, I simply reran makepkg, then this happened, so I just downgraded instead of messing with manual installation.

EDIT: I commented out the relevant lines in .xsession and .xinitrc and tried installing the package again.  I got the same result from running "LD_PRELOAD=libetc.so ls"

ls: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libetc.so: undefined symbol: dlsym

The result from running "ldd /usr/lib/libetc.so" is as follows:

linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xb7811000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb76aa000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7812000)

Last edited by Acheron (2010-07-05 15:40:22)

Board footer