You are not logged in.

#126 2010-04-25 07:15:00

ashyanbhog

Re: Paktahn: yaourt-style AUR/Pacman search and install

Added Paktahn to the list of AUR helpers. Please edit / update the entry if required

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_Helpers#paktahn

#127 2010-04-25 09:05:41

dejari

Thanks, ashyanbhog, this will be fixed with the next binary release.

#128 2010-04-25 23:24:31

redline6561
Website

ashyanblog,

Yep. I posted a bug for this in github but it turns out paktahn just needs to be recompiled or reinstalled. I realize that's a pain. I'm looking at supporting .tar.xz files now, after that I don't think there will be anything holding us back from a release. Again, sorry to everyone that dejari and I have been kept away from paktahn so long. :-/

#129 2010-04-26 00:07:26

redline6561
Website

.tar.xz support should be fixed: http://github.com/redline6561/paktahn/c … a30e0c0eba

Thanks again for the report, slint and sorry for the wait. Release Real Soon Now (tm).

#130 2010-05-04 03:35:45

redline6561
Website

Dejari and I have begun making preparations for a release. With any luck it'll be out within the next week. I'd like to get it done by Friday but I can't make any promises. We'll keep you posted. smile

#131 2010-05-18 17:08:01

redline6561
Website

And 0.9 is out! I apologize that it took us two weeks to get this out rather than one. A nasty storm killed dejari's net connection for 5 days and I've been moving and attending to some personal matters.

The big ticket items for this release (as listed in NEWS) are as follows:
** AUR Upgrade Support via "pak -Su --aur"
** Support for .tar.xz packages. (reported by slint)
** Customizepkg definitions can now be used for non-AUR packages
** By adding (setf *paktahn-dir* "/some/path/you/want/") to your ~/.paktahn/config.lisp,
    paktahn will use an alternate path for temporary files, etc.
    Note that config.lisp must begin with the line "(in-package :pak)".
** AUR packages install as dependencies correctly, thanks to Justin Caratzas (bigjust).

Planning for 1.0 is underway. Please let us know about any features that you really want (pacman -Syu support is at the top of my list) or bugs that give you trouble. If you feel like doing us a favor, enter bugs you find here: http://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues

Last edited by redline6561 (2010-05-18 17:09:20)

#132 2010-06-13 08:14:17

ashyanbhog

Hi,

Thanks for this release. Paktahn is very much usable these days.

Looking forward to -Syu support.

Feature request:

Allow exiting package search via a simple shortcut, say "q" key. Hitting Ctrl-C before the package search is complete leads to debug mode, something that happens when I misspell the search term and and try to abort. (ya, I know I can do with a little more patience smile )

#133 2010-07-04 09:15:58

ashyanbhog

Reporting a bug,

When installing or upgrading a AUR package, Paktahn checks the dependency and prompts to install each of the dependency even if they are already installed.

This causes a boatload of "Package X already installed. Reinstall it? (y/N)" prompts.

#134 2010-07-10 16:30:52

redline6561
Website

When installing or upgrading a AUR package, Paktahn checks the dependency and prompts to install each of the dependency even if they are already installed.

This causes a boatload of "Package X already installed. Reinstall it? (y/N)" prompts.

ashyanbhog,

Funny you mention this. I just fixed it a few days ago in my local branch. Thanks for the report though. Haven't spoken to dejari in a while, I'll see what he's up to and if we can push out a quick bugfix release as I've fixed one or two other things as well.

#135 2010-08-15 08:33:16

victorhooi

heya,

I just tried installing and running paktahn (this is on Arch 64, version 0.9 of paktahn), and I get thrown into a debugger when I try to run it:

[victorhooi@zenator-arch ~]$ pak

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" RUNNING
                                               {100492E011}>:
  Error opening shared object "libssl.so.0.9.8":
  libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [CONTINUE       ] Skip this shared object and continue.
  1: [RETRY          ] Retry loading this shared object.
  2: [CHANGE-PATHNAME] Specify a different pathname to load the shared object from.

(SB-SYS:DLOPEN-OR-LOSE
 #S(SB-ALIEN::SHARED-OBJECT
    :PATHNAME #P"libssl.so.0.9.8"
    :NAMESTRING "libssl.so.0.9.8"
    :HANDLE NIL
    :DONT-SAVE NIL))
0] [victorhooi@zenator-arch ~]$ pak

debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD "initial thread" RUNNING
                                               {100492E011}>:
  Error opening shared object "libssl.so.0.9.8":
  libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [CONTINUE       ] Skip this shared object and continue.
  1: [RETRY          ] Retry loading this shared object.
  2: [CHANGE-PATHNAME] Specify a different pathname to load the shared object from.

(SB-SYS:DLOPEN-OR-LOSE
 #S(SB-ALIEN::SHARED-OBJECT
    :PATHNAME #P"libssl.so.0.9.8"
    :NAMESTRING "libssl.so.0.9.8"
    :HANDLE NIL
    :DONT-SAVE NIL))
0]

Cheers,
Victor

#136 2010-08-21 22:41:25

redline6561
Website

Hey folks, sorry for the long quiet. Leslie and I made a bugfix release this morning. It's mostly UI improvements, little things and internal refactorings (particularly to -G) but it's out there nonetheless. Here's a reproduced NEWS bit for posterity:
* pak -Su --aur now handles deleted or missing packages rather than exiting
* paktahn will never prompt to reinstall up-to-date dependencies
* pak -G for core/extra/community packages fetches from svn/trunk instead of svn/$arch/pkg-name (#19, reported by wh5a [Wei Hu])
* pak -G now downloads tarballs into /tmp/ and offers restart options to overwrite or resume if the tarball exists (#25)

So 0.9.1 is out and 1.0 is in progress. We'll keep you posted and keep letting us know what issues and improvements you'd like to see.

Victorhooi, is it possible you upgraded libssl after installing paktahn? You can actually give it restart 2 (Change-pathname) and give it the full path to libssl on your system (as a string IIRC) and it should work. The easier thing to do would be reinstalling paktahn or using my precompiled binary at http://redlinernotes.com/docs/paktahn-0 … pkg.tar.xz

Last edited by redline6561 (2010-08-21 22:42:10)

#137 2010-08-22 12:56:16

wantilles

Name sounds like Klingon.

#138 2010-08-22 13:01:42

dejari

wantilles wrote:

Name sounds like Klingon.

It's from Wing Commander, Paktahn is a Kilrathi ship type.

#139 2010-09-08 14:08:18

jiyunatori

Hi there.

I installed a package with paktahn, but i would like to reinstall it with a modification on the PKGBUILD file. Unfortunately, pak does not ask me if I want to review the PKGBUILD anymore - and I can't find a way to revert this behaviour, appart from nuking the whole ~/.paktahn folder.

I think it would make more sense if paktahn always asks if the user wants to review the PKGBUILD, but changes the default choice from Yes to No when the package is reinstalled.

#140 2010-11-09 15:04:47

redline6561
Website

jiyunatori,

Wow. Please accept my apologies for not responding for so long. Been distracted with other things.
That said, I've been bitten by this issue too. I'm hoping to do some Paktahn hacking this weekend and I'll bring this up with Leslie to see what he thinks.

It'd be nice to make another release by Christmas. Preferably one that supports pacman -Syu and AUR updates in a single command. Last I heard there might be someone working on improving our CLI option handling which would facilitate that.

Cheers,
Brit

#141 2010-12-24 21:40:25

redline6561
Website

So it's almost Christmas and we're no closer to a release. I've had a mixture of work and school keeping me busy but I'm at least free of school until January the 10th. I'm going to do my damnedest to see that there is a release by that date.

Thanks for your incredible patience.

Regards,
Brit

#142 2011-01-08 04:17:15

redline6561
Website

Finally got some time to work on Paktahn today. We now always support review of PKGBUILDs as requested by jiyunatori (and I think others). Additionally, we handle name resolution failures more gracefully and support a pak -Ss query that behaves exactly like pacman -Ss except it also searches AUR. I've got 2 other bugs I'm looking at github issue #29 (catching failures due to gcc/make/fakeroot not being installed and providing a restart to install them) and a weird loop when you try to install haskell-platform from AUR.

I'd like to try and wrap these up and make a release Monday. Any other bugs or features anyone can think of I should know about?

#143 2011-01-11 17:08:46

redline6561
Website

Good morning, Paktahn users! 0.92. has just been released. This is a small bugfix release fixing github issues #29-30 (handling makepkg deps that aren't deps of pacman, pak -Ss identical to pacman -Ss) and adding the ability to always review the PKGBUILD. 32-bit and 64-bit binaries are available for those who don't want to compile from source here: http://redlinernotes.com/docs/

Leslie has graciously made me maintainer and lead developer of Paktahn. The forums have been pretty quiet the last few months and I'm unclear on whether that's because we have a few contented users or folks have emigrated elsewhere. I know that personally there are still bugs I'd like to see fixed, features I'd like to see added. If there are any lispers (or folks interested in learning) that would like to hack on Paktahn, I'd love to hear from you.

I should have time to work on Paktahn again for the next few months. I'm contemplating moving to a shorter release cycle, perhaps monthly with a few significant/useful changes. Please let me know your thoughts or complaints on the current state of affairs.

#144 2011-01-13 08:51:31

gour

redline6561 wrote:

The forums have been pretty quiet the last few months and I'm unclear on whether that's because we have a few contented users or folks have emigrated elsewhere.

Well, I can speak only about myself...I was very excited about having something better than yaourt (which became impossible to use with haskell packages) and enjoyed using Paktahn.

However, the development slowed down quite a bit...I was experimenting with bauerbill and finally settled on clyde. :-)

In the meantime, I also gave up on Haskell and decided to use D...but didn't return to yaourt.

I should have time to work on Paktahn again for the next few months. I'm contemplating moving to a shorter release cycle, perhaps monthly with a few significant/useful changes. Please let me know your thoughts or complaints on the current state of affairs.

+1 for shorter release cycles which will show the project is alive...

Package manager is quite important part of the OS, and seeing it  almost dead did not enthuse users with the confidence...no wonder many left. :-(

All the best with your new role. wink

/me will install paktahn again

Sincerely,
Gour

#145 2011-01-14 05:09:42

redline6561
Website

Gour,

Thanks for responding and the well wishes. I've been going back and forth between biweekly or monthly release cycles. For now, I'm going to try to do a fast cycle with releases by 1/30 and 2/15 then I'll re-evaluate.

Thanks also for the bug report on github.

#146 2011-01-16 06:03:10

redline6561
Website

Just a quick update, some hacking has already been done for 0.93.

* Gour's bug has been fixed. That is, live packages (those pulled from, git, hg, bzr, darcs, svn or cvs) will not prompt asking if you'd like to downgrade them on upgrade.
* The "Continue building $pkgname? (y/N/r)" prompt has been improved so that enter selects the default (denoted by uppercase; No in example).
* pak -V has been added which returns the paktahn version (presently 0.92.6).

#147 2011-01-31 08:47:23

saturn_knight

I'm still a fan, please keep up the great work.

#148 2011-02-01 05:45:04

redline6561
Website

Paktahn 0.93 is out! There's a brief article on my blog about it ( http://redlinernotes.com/blog/?p=1312 ) including plans for the next two releases but here's some snippets from NEWS:
  * Add pak -Syu --aur, -Sy and -Su. These simply call out to pacman and (in the case of -Syu --aur) perform additional paktahn work.
  * Add pak -V for paktahn version. (Issue #37)
  * Ignore versioning for packages whose names end with -git, -svn, -hg, -darcs, -bzr or -cvs. (Issue #34, reported by gour)
  * Ensure that requests to install a nonexisting package via pak -S properly inform the user that no such package was found and offer restarts. (Issue #38)
  * Ensure there is always a default when the user is prompted to continue building a package. Letter representing default is capitalized as before. (Issues #33 and #36)
  * Prompt to install binary package dependencies first when building AUR packages.

32-bit and 64-bit binaries are available as usual for those who don't want to compile from source here: http://redlinernotes.com/docs/

As always, we would love to hear any bug reports or feature requests at http://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues
Thanks!

PS: saturn_knight, Thanks for the encouragement. smile

#149 2011-02-27 20:19:03

redline6561
Website

I've been a little under the weather lately and running around to handle school and personal issues. I'm planning on pushing back the release of 0.94 two weeks to March 13th. That will give me all Spring Break to do Paktahn hacking. My current priorities are to improve command line handling and make as many options which call pacman supported as is sensible (i.e. pak -Q* foo). Additionally, there is a bug report from trieforce (issue #40 at http://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues#issue/40 ) and some improvements to our caching of local packages.

Please get any requests for features, bugs or other things I should be prioritizing in before March 04th. Thanks.

#150 2011-03-13 23:52:47

redline6561
Website

Paktahn 0.9.4 is out! Highlights are in the NEWS and include the following:
-- Preliminary support for all pacman -Q*, -D* and -R* commands. Just call pak instead of pacman. Please report any bugs you find on the github issues page! smile
-- Binary deps for AUR packages are installed all at once. Formerly they were installed in separate pacman calls.
-- We update the local cache as we install packages which makes certain AUR packages with lots of interdependencies more convenient to install.

Paktahn 0.9.5 should be out by the end of April and will primarily be a bugfix release. Issues #16 and #40 are definitely slated as is getting a solid test suite written. Let me know if there are any features you think are still missing and *especially* let me know if there are prominent bugs you need taken care of. As usual binaries will be uploaded to http://redlinernotes.com/docs/ over the next 24 hours. The 64-bit binary is already available.

Board footer