You are not logged in.

#176 2011-07-23 01:12:14

syb

Re: Paktahn: yaourt-style AUR/Pacman search and install

Nice to hear about that! I'll be digesting that book as much as I can prior to any question I'll make in freenode. See you there then!

#177 2011-07-31 09:30:44

Franek

Thank you for this lovely app! I am giving it a shot as a replacement for clyde, and so far, I am happily satisfied.

The only thing I am missing: pacman's "--asdeps" and "-asexplicit" install flags .

Last edited by Franek (2011-07-31 09:31:02)

#178 2011-08-08 03:42:06

redline6561
Website

Dear paktahn users,

You may have noticed that with the 3.0 kernel upgrade paktahn has ceased functioning. This is a temporary problem with SBCL, the underlying lisp compiler and is solved upstream. SBCL 1.0.51 rectifies the issue and should hit the Arch repos sometime this month. In the meantime, my hands are tied. I apologize for any inconvenience.

#179 2011-08-15 14:56:11

redline6561
Website

The version of SBCL in Arch repos is now patched to deal with Kernel 3.0. If you have the latest SBCL installed you should be in good shape to run paktahn though if it was built from an older SBCL you will need to rebuild/reinstall it.

#180 2011-08-21 01:54:57

GSF1200S

I like paktahn alot, but there are two things I wish it did/had.

1) Would it be possible for paktahn to check the IgnorePkg line in pacman.conf when upgrading INCLUDING aur packages? As it is now, it honors any packages listed there for the main repos, but ignores when it goes to upgrade an AUR package. For example, I must use cups-usblp from the AUR in order for my printer to work due to a cups bug. I have libcups and cups-usblp added to IgnorePkg. Since cups-usblp is still at version 1.4.7, im fine, but once it goes to 1.4.8, it will prompt me every time to upgrade that package where I must refuse. Packer honors IgnorePkg- im not sure about yaourt-git as I havent tried it.

2) pak -Si packagename

I really like how paktahn has minimal dependencies and is likely to be very stable through upgrades as it doesnt use pacman-color, etc. These are also the reasons I like packer. The only thing I dislike about Packer is that you cannot edit the pkgbuilds of an AUR package before pacman is called to install that packages dependencies- something paktahn already does well. Any thoughts? I dont have any idea how hard this would be to accomplish in lisp..

#181 2011-08-21 02:07:56

redline6561
Website

GSF1200S,

Thanks for commenting!

1) I love this feature idea. That is absolutely something paktahn should do and it shouldn't be hard to pull off. smile

2) There are two issues at work here. A) Paktahn keeps a cache of what PKGBUILDs you've already seen. It md5sums each PKGBUILD and if that hash is in the cache, doesn't prompt you about it. I would be interested in how people feel about this feature. At the very least, we could easily make it optional behavior. B) Does Paktahn prompt to review the pkgbuild before trying to install dependencies? If it doesn't, it seems reasonable to me that it should.

I would very much appreciate it if you would create issues for these on github: http://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues
Hopefully trev311 and I can get to those issues and make a new release sometime soon.

#182 2011-08-21 07:14:28

GSF1200S

redline6561 wrote:

GSF1200S,

Thanks for commenting!

1) I love this feature idea. That is absolutely something paktahn should do and it shouldn't be hard to pull off. smile

2) There are two issues at work here. A) Paktahn keeps a cache of what PKGBUILDs you've already seen. It md5sums each PKGBUILD and if that hash is in the cache, doesn't prompt you about it. I would be interested in how people feel about this feature. At the very least, we could easily make it optional behavior. B) Does Paktahn prompt to review the pkgbuild before trying to install dependencies? If it doesn't, it seems reasonable to me that it should.

I would very much appreciate it if you would create issues for these on github: http://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues
Hopefully trev311 and I can get to those issues and make a new release sometime soon.

1) Cool smile

2) A) Hmm, I must be misunderstanding you. pacman -Si firefox simply shows information on the package firefox. In packer I can do, for example: packer -Si gmusicbrowser-git and get all the details about gmusicbrowser-git (package in AUR). Paktahn simply spits out the possible arguments one can use (-Si is not listed) as it cannot get information data itself.. B) pak -S pacaur ---> edit pacaur pkgbuild? ---> install expac (dep found in Arch repos)---> Edit cower pkgbuild? (cower is AUR dep of pacaur)---> install cower?--->install pacaur? Seems pretty sane- I think this is how yaourt handles things.

I will- gotta crash for tonight, but later today I will add those issues on github smile

#183 2011-08-21 22:23:16

GSF1200S

redline6561 wrote:

GSF1200S,

Thanks for commenting!

As promised, I have created issues on Github for the above. I also included another idea in one of the issues, but that is optional and not a very big deal for me as I only run ~10 AUR packages at a time anyways. Watching the project now smile

#184 2011-08-28 21:47:34

redline6561
Website

Hey folks,

Trevis has been putting in some good work on Paktahn of late. In particular, a lot of work was spent fixing our support for provider packages to detect when a providing package has been installed from AUR. I'm hoping to make a new release (0.9.6) on September the 10th. Hopefully I'll have a chance to put in some work and bugfixes myself by then. Thanks for keeping the bug reports and feedback coming and just generally being awesome.

Cheers,
Brit

#185 2011-09-05 22:28:11

redline6561
Website

Time flies, I'd like to give myself Saturday to hack on Paktahn. I'm pushing the release to Sunday the 11th. smile

#186 2011-09-12 04:18:41

redline6561
Website

Dear Paktahn users, as you may have noticed already 0.9.6 is out! Trevis has been quite helpful this release and we're already excited about the next one. Here's a rundown of what's been done and what the immediate plans are:
* Support AUR packages as providers. Trevis fixed this and thanks go to donbex for reporting it.
* Don't require password/sudo for -Q operations. (Issue #53) Trevis fixed this also and thanks go to GSF1200S for reporting it.
* Honor ignorepkg line in /etc/pacman.conf for AUR packages. (Issue #55) Also reported by GSF1200S.
* Add --skipinteg restart in case of makepkg checksum failure. (Issue #56) Reported by gour.

x86_64 binary is in the usual spot, 32bit is hopefully soon to follow: http://redlinernotes.com/docs/paktahn-0 … pkg.tar.xz
Though this may seem a small release and these only a few features, a lot of internal refactoring has been going on. As I'm more settled into my first programming job, I want my entire focus for the next release to be getting a sound test suite going and then cleaning up the internals as much as possible. This will facilitate more painless work going forward from Trevis and I and also make it easier for others to dip their toes in without worrying about breaking things.

Plans for the next release are already shaping up as follows:
* Trevis will work on pak -U / LocalPackageSupport. Some progress was already made in this direction in a fork on github some time back but will need integration and cleanup.
* Any commands pacman supports that we don't sensibly fall back on or integrate with at this time (for example, pacman -Si) will be supported.
* I will be working on a test suite followed by lots of refactoring, internal documentation and cleanup.

Anybody want to make paktahn a proper website as we get closer to 1.0? wink

As always, thanks for keeping the bug reports, feature ideas and feedback flowing. I really appreciate it! One final note: I'm spending a good amount of time hanging out in #paktahn on Freenode and Trevis pops through a bit as well. Sometimes I'm sleeping or working but I have a bouncer so I don't miss anything. Feel free to swing by and drop me a line!

Cheers,
Brit

Last edited by redline6561 (2011-09-12 04:52:53)

#187 2011-09-26 14:54:57

donbex

I'm sorry, as I should have tested this before, but the bug I reported before is still present in paktahn 0.9.6.

==> Continue building youtube-viewer? (y/n/R) y
Dependency: git is up to date.
Dependency: perl-libwww is up to date.
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: mplayer and mplayer-vdpau-svn are in conflict. Remove mplayer-vdpau-svn? [y/N] 
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: mplayer and mplayer-vdpau-svn are in conflict

Please let me know if you need other information about this.

Last edited by donbex (2011-09-26 14:55:20)

#188 2011-09-26 17:16:07

redline6561
Website

donbex, Oof. Clearly we should be testing more thoroughly. Sorry about that. We'll get a fix out soon.

#189 2012-02-02 19:39:03

dejari

Ported Paktahn to Pacman4/libalpm7. Supported for previous versions is gone. Also fixed a dependency parser issue. New version due soon.

#190 2012-02-02 19:41:42

redline6561
Website

Thanks for stepping in and fixing the bugs dejari. Sorry I've been busy and hadn't gotten around to it guys, you shouldn't have to wait.

I skimmed the patch and it looks good. At work now but I'll merge it, bump the version and cut a release in the next 6-8 hours.

Last edited by redline6561 (2012-02-02 19:42:18)

#191 2012-02-03 01:06:55

redline6561
Website

A new paktahn release has been posted. Thanks to dejari (Leslie) for his hard work updating paktahn for pacman 4. The dependency parsing problem described here has also been fixed: https://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues/62

Thanks for your patience and sorry for my delay, folks.

An x86_64 binary is available under http://redlinernotes.com/docs/ as usual.

Last edited by redline6561 (2012-02-03 01:07:21)

#192 2012-05-19 20:07:19

gbursson

Where is paktahn configured? Is it anywhere at all?
Second thing is: where are packages built by this great tool kept? I would love to have them built and ready for re-install - as I play a lot with VMs.

#193 2012-05-20 09:59:21

dejari

Thanks for the praise! You're the second this week! smile

Configuration is kept in ~/.paktahn/config.lisp. All other files produced and kept by Paktahn are in this directory as well. You can modify pretty much every aspect of Paktahn's logic in config.lisp, but for end-users the only useful options are about setting the color scheme and debug level.

Right now packages built by Paktahn are deleted after installation. It would be easy to add functionality to keep around packages if this is important for you. In this case please open a feature request here: https://github.com/skypher/paktahn/issues

#194 2012-06-13 22:43:41

redline6561
Website

Hey folks, sorry for the long wait! Paktahn 0.9.9 has been released. Major features for this release are:
-- Improved Provides/provider package handling
-- The ability to define a directory *save-packages* in your config.lisp and have built packages saved there.
-- Fix an AUR update bug.

#195 2013-01-18 17:30:14

dejari

Release 0.9.9.1. Just the SBCL version fix is included, but there's more to come soon.

I'm back in the maintainer/lead developer seat.

#196 2015-02-25 22:37:36

blablubb1234

Is there any development going on? The current version is not working anymore sad

#197 2015-02-26 17:33:37

dejari

Paktahn is in maintenance mode right now since I don't have time for new features.

The issue has been reported and will be fixed soon.

Board footer