You are not logged in.

#26 2009-11-13 13:18:51

eldragon

Re: Compiz slow startup

Tes-- wrote:

For some reason compiz does not register with the session-manager if you don't explicitly pass is the session id.

To solve that, use a wrapper, or in /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop change the exec line to

Exec=bash -c 'compiz ccp decoration --sm-client-id $DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID'

this fixes it for me... nice call

#27 2009-11-14 11:22:53

Stunts
Website

Tes-- wrote:

For some reason compiz does not register with the session-manager if you don't explicitly pass is the session id.

To solve that, use a wrapper, or in /usr/share/applications/compiz.desktop change the exec line to

Exec=bash -c 'compiz ccp decoration --sm-client-id $DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID'

Thank you for your tip, but unfortunately it had no effect for me.
I have additionally tried the following:
Go to gconf-editor and under "/desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowsmanager" tried the default - "gnome-wm", then changed to "compiz" and finally to an empty string.
In order to start compiz with an empty string in that entry, I created the following bash script (based on your suggestion):

#!/bin/bash
bash -c 'compiz ccp decoration --sm-client-id $DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID'

And I placed it on the list of startup applications for the session.
The time from GDM to desktop is always the same (11 secs timed using a stopwatch) from a reboot.
Nevertheless, when I just logout and login again, I get a 2 sec login regardelss of how compiz is started.
I'm also using readahead, so this shouldn't be happening at all, right?
Do you have any further tips?

#28 2010-10-03 18:36:33

jarryson

i find out that "X-GNOME-Autostart-Phase=WindowManager" should be removed. or it will cause gnome-session warning "Application 'compiz.desktop' failed to register before timeout"

and i changed the exec line to "Exec=compiz ccp decoration --sm-client-id $DESKTOP_AUTOSTART_ID" and that solved my problem.

startup just as fast as only use metacity.

#29 2011-03-24 19:31:36

grandmasterb

here's workaround if none of above doesn't work for you:

gconf-editor ->  clear  key: /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager
add "compiz ccp" to sturtup programs

Board footer