You are not logged in.

#26 2009-09-07 21:38:03

xakh

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

So, after installing this driver to make my games work better, they don't work at all?

#27 2009-09-07 23:33:56

elocal
Website

Perry3D wrote:

Hi Mac Tzu,

are you running compiz with the radeonhd driver? I prefer the xf86-video-ati-git and i am getting corruptions like these:

http://img2.immage.de/25085027terminalco.png.

Do you have the same problems?

/update: I added the output of gxinfo to the howto.

I have the same problem but under kde 4.3.2 (kwin with composite enabled...).  I also experience frequent crashes and other corruption.  I have a HD4850, running xf86-video-ati-git.

#28 2009-09-08 03:14:26

javum

Perry3D wrote:

i am getting corruptions like these:

The same thing in gnome....
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 07#p603107

#29 2009-09-08 05:19:10

AdrenalineJunky

xakh wrote:

So, after installing this driver to make my games work better, they don't work at all?

this is still experimental code.... things are progressing rapidly, but its gonna take some time before they are really ready to run everything as you would expect a mature driver too.

#30 2009-09-08 06:08:55

xakh

AdrenalineJunky wrote:
xakh wrote:

this is still experimental code.... things are progressing rapidly, but its gonna take some time before they are really ready to run everything as you would expect a mature driver too.

I wasn't expecting mature, but I thought blender would run.

#31 2009-09-08 09:15:26

Perry3D

Now we have KMS support for the r6xx/r7xx cards: http://airlied.livejournal.com/68097.html big_smile

The r600/r700 KMS support in that tree enables full 2D/3D/Xv accel + DRI2,
you need a master libdrm, master ati DDX and master mesa.

What means full 3D?
I hope i can test it this evening.

#32 2009-09-08 09:35:56

flamelab

I saw some patches on mesa and xf86-video-ati yesteday for r600, like this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/driver … 2142699204

Why don't you try it ? wink

If everything goes OK, xf86-video-ati is the best driver out there !

PS: I guess you need to compile the kernel from drm-next tree.

Last edited by flamelab (2009-09-08 09:40:28)

#33 2009-09-08 09:47:53

Perry3D

At the moment, i am not at home roll
Will you try it?
There is already a package in the AUR for the kms-kernel: http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=24072

#34 2009-09-08 09:53:01

flamelab

I have a X1600, so I can't know if something changed ( I already have full 3D/DRI2/KMS support).

So (for those that want to try it)

1) kernel26-kms from AUR

BUT

change this line:

git checkout --track -b drm-rawhide origin/drm-rawhide

to

git checkout --track -b drm-next origin/drm-next

2)libdrm-git
3)This mesa-git http://pastebin.com/m39d3ab47 (with this you have : mesa-git, libgl-git, ati-dri-git)
4)xf86-video-ati-git from AUR.

DON'T forget to make bug reports on freedesktop.org

Last edited by flamelab (2009-09-08 09:57:20)

#35 2009-09-08 11:50:44

Mac Tzu
Website

Hi Mac Tzu,

are you running compiz with the radeonhd driver? I prefer the xf86-video-ati-git and i am getting corruptions like these:

/update: I added the output of gxinfo to the howto.

Hey Perry3D,

I'm using running KDE 4.3.1 and using kwin (is that cheating ?)

I need to quailfy my earlier statment as I just install and checked few things out and went to bed.  But I having simliar coruption in KDE login screen, and also with 3d cude I cannot access other virual terminal (i.e crlt+alt+f1) and if I try and run smplayer big system freeze nothing works nothing (except mouse which is laggy).  Do you know if it is due to xorg setting or drivers ? also I am using radeonHD Should i be using the xf86-video-ati drivers instead.

Last edited by Mac Tzu (2009-09-08 11:57:58)

Remember,

If it is a Placebo You can Believe in it !!!

#36 2009-09-08 21:49:02

Perry3D

He MacTzu, i only have some corruptions on screen when running compiz. But this is a known bug. Everything else is fine and very stable. Check your output driver in smplayer: it should be XV.
My xorg.conf is very minimal: only set the ati driver and composite on.

@flamelab: i tested kms with kernel26-kms. You need to remove the arch patches and add a patch i found in the phoronix forum. KMS works fine, glxgears is hardware accelerated, but x-server restarts sometimes (using opera or compiz for example). I switched back to the stock kernel.

#37 2009-09-08 22:03:52

xakh

So, to compile this new, new driver, I need to compile a different kernel?

#38 2009-09-08 22:12:10

flamelab

xakh wrote:

So, to compile this new, new driver, I need to compile a different kernel?

Yes, if you want  the updated TTM code, KMS and DRI2 can be succeded through the code inside the drm-next tree, that will be merged (possibly) after 2.6.31 will be announced as stable. So, you 'll not need (possibly) the patch above (David Airlie may already know about this bug) or to use kernel26-kms. You 'll only need kernel26-git or a snapshot of 2.6.32 and CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y (note: the last one, I'm not sure if it's needed or if it is enabled by default, so I have it on config) in config.

As well as the other packages above.

-----------

I really, really hope that we will all get rid of that thing called fglrx, and by 2010, every ATI user will be using xf86-video-ati. After that, we'll expect Powersaving through KMS.

Last edited by flamelab (2009-09-08 22:14:13)

#39 2009-09-08 22:13:31

Perry3D

No, only if you want to have the kms feature and DRI2.

#40 2009-09-09 00:13:27

xakh

will any of this help me run OpenGL games?

#41 2009-09-09 07:49:38

Perry3D

The situation at the moment: Some simple games like neverball are running fine. Complexer games like quake, sauerbraten and nexuis have a lot of screen corruption. All we can do is wait. The developers commit changes nearly every day.

#42 2009-09-09 09:30:58

apollokk
Website

By build kernel26-kms, I get this error:

-> Preparing...                                                       
  -> Starting make...                                                   
  -> add patch...                                                       
patching file Documentation/ABI/testing/debugfs-aufs                    
patching file Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-aufs                      
patching file Documentation/acpi/dsdt-override.txt                      
patching file Documentation/acpi/initramfs-add-dsdt.sh                  
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/README                     
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/aufs.5                     
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/01intro.txt         
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/02struct.txt        
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/03lookup.txt        
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/04branch.txt        
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/05wbr_policy.txt    
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/06fmode_exec.txt    
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/07mmap.txt          
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/08export.txt        
patching file Documentation/filesystems/aufs/design/99plan.txt          
patching file Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt                       
Hunk #1 succeeded at 216 (offset 29 lines).                             
patching file arch/arm/include/asm/elf.h                                
Hunk #1 FAILED at 50.                                                   
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/arm/include/asm/elf.h.rej
patching file arch/arm/kernel/module.c                                         
Hunk #1 succeeded at 184 with fuzz 1 (offset 52 lines).                        
patching file arch/arm/mach-iop13xx/pci.c                                      
Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected!  Skipping patch.              
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/arm/mach-iop13xx/pci.c.rej
patching file arch/arm/mach-omap2/mmc-twl4030.c                                   
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/arm/mach-omap2/mmc-twl4030.c.rej                                                                                     
patching file arch/arm/mm/mmu.c                                                       
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/arm/mm/mmu.c.rej               
patching file arch/sparc/include/asm/tlb_64.h                                         
Hunk #1 succeeded at 60 with fuzz 2 (offset 2 lines).                                 
Hunk #2 FAILED at 82.                                                                 
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/sparc/include/asm/tlb_64.h.rej 
patching file arch/sparc/kernel/nmi.c                                                 
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/sparc/kernel/nmi.c.rej        
patching file arch/sparc/kernel/smp_64.c                                              
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/sparc/kernel/smp_64.c.rej     
patching file arch/x86/kernel/check.c                                                 
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kernel/check.c.rej         
patching file arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/generic.c                                      
Hunk #1 succeeded at 59 with fuzz 2 (offset 18 lines).                                
Hunk #2 FAILED at 218.                                                                
Hunk #3 FAILED at 354.                                                                
Hunk #4 FAILED at 366.                                                                
Hunk #5 succeeded at 489 with fuzz 2 (offset 63 lines).                               
3 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kernel/cpu/mtrr/generic.c.rej                                                                                    
patching file arch/x86/kernel/ptrace.c                                                
Hunk #1 FAILED at 690.                                                                
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kernel/ptrace.c.rej         
patching file arch/x86/kernel/tlb_uv.c                                                
Hunk #1 FAILED at 742.                                                                
Hunk #2 FAILED at 752.                                                                
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kernel/tlb_uv.c.rej        
patching file arch/x86/kvm/paging_tmpl.h                                              
Hunk #1 FAILED at 314.                                                                
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kvm/paging_tmpl.h.rej       
patching file arch/x86/kvm/svm.c                                                      
Hunk #1 FAILED at 760.                                                                
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kvm/svm.c.rej               
patching file arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c                                                      
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/kvm/vmx.c.rej              
patching file arch/x86/lguest/boot.c                                                  
Hunk #1 FAILED at 485.                                                                
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1040.                                                               
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/lguest/boot.c.rej          
patching file arch/x86/mm/pat.c                                                       
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/mm/pat.c.rej               
patching file arch/x86/pci/i386.c                                                     
Hunk #1 FAILED at 319.                                                                
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file arch/x86/pci/i386.c.rej              
patching file drivers/acpi/Kconfig                                                    
Hunk #1 succeeded at 233 (offset 19 lines).                                           
patching file drivers/acpi/osl.c                                                      
Hunk #1 succeeded at 96 (offset 1 line).                                              
Hunk #2 succeeded at 368 (offset 36 lines).                                           
Hunk #3 succeeded at 388 (offset 36 lines).                                           
patching file drivers/char/raw.c                                                      
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file drivers/char/raw.c.rej              
patching file drivers/lguest/page_tables.c                                            
1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file drivers/lguest/page_tables.c.rej    
patching file drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dib0700_devices.c                             
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1484 (offset 91 lines).                                          
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1687.                                                               
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1748 with fuzz 1 (offset 114 lines).                             
1 out of 3 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dib0700_devices.c.rej                                                                           
patching file drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-ids.h                                 
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb-ids.h.rej                                                                              
patching file drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb.h
Hunk #1 FAILED at 223.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/media/dvb/dvb-usb/dvb-usb.h.rej
patching file drivers/media/dvb/firewire/firedtv-avc.c
2 out of 2 hunks ignored -- saving rejects to file drivers/media/dvb/firewire/firedtv-avc.c.rej
patching file drivers/media/video/v4l2-common.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 910.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 958.
2 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/media/video/v4l2-common.c.rej
can't find file to patch at input line 3501
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|
|diff -Nur linux-2.6.29/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c linux-2.6.29-ARCH/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c
|--- linux-2.6.29/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c     2009-03-24 00:12:14.000000000 +0100
|+++ linux-2.6.29-ARCH/drivers/net/wireless/ath5k/base.c        2009-04-08 12:13:07.000000000 +0200
--------------------------
File to patch:

There's a problem in patches, I think.

/me wants you to detele this account... please delete it.

#43 2009-09-09 11:01:16

flamelab

Remove the patches on PKGBUILD (comment them).

#44 2009-09-09 11:14:27

apollokk
Website

Hmm, I won't mess up things with the kernel.

So I stay with the stock kernel, and I'm waiting for something more official.

Thanks for your instructions, although.

#45 2009-09-09 13:02:56

Mac Tzu
Website

OK Perry3d

Mate (as we say in australia) I don't understand this jargon Probably coz i am a noob

when your are talking about SMplayer what do you mean by "XV"

(note : You do not have to answer this ) but I realise that kms is a different kernel version but I don't understand why or how is affect your ati drivers ? 
Secondly is it a a reall time kernel ? and could you explain what that means ?

P.S. I understand if the question is off topic just say so

P.P.S I still don't understand the really difference between the xf86-video-ait and radeond drivers  ( I have see post say they are irrelvant ) still don't get it

Mac

Last edited by Mac Tzu (2009-09-09 13:05:21)

Remember,

If it is a Placebo You can Believe in it !!!

#46 2009-09-09 14:10:18

venky80

I am waiting for someone to make a repository..;) this is way too complex for me!

Acer Aspire V5-573P Antergos KDE

#47 2009-09-09 18:55:52

ChemBro

Mac Tzu wrote:

OK Perry3d

Mate (as we say in australia) I don't understand this jargon Probably coz i am a noob

when your are talking about SMplayer what do you mean by "XV"

I'm not Perry3D, but "xv" is "xvideo". You need this to see the video (look in wikipedia for more info, I don't know more :-) ). A (maybe better) alternative is OpenGL.

#48 2009-09-09 20:27:10

apollokk
Website

venky80 wrote:

I am waiting for someone to make a repository..;) this is way too complex for me!

I was going to make a repo, but, there are a lot of artifacts, and delays.

But, the system is quite responsive, in a weird way.

Finally, I'll try flamelab's way, and if it works, I'm gonna make the repository, with these packages.

#49 2009-09-09 20:45:19

xakh

Hi guys! I thought I'd gotten at least my resolution working, but now, for some reason, my resolution has gone from 1680x1050 to 1024x768, and it refuses to budge.
Edit:Huh. it went back to normal resolution.
Also, I can't get neverball working. Nothing runs at all, it's not that there are artifacts, it's that every program opens for a second, then force quits.

Last edited by xakh (2009-09-09 20:55:46)

#50 2009-09-09 21:18:56

flamelab

Mac Tzu wrote:

P.P.S I still don't understand the really difference between the xf86-video-ait and radeond drivers  ( I have see post say they are irrelvant ) still don't get it

Mac

Just forget about radeonhd, they shouldn't be used. Use xf86-video-ati instead.

Board footer