You are not logged in.

#1676 2010-10-18 10:00:34

glsg
Website

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Hi all!
I have an HD 5670/1Gb card and it works fine with kernel26-drm-radeon-testing.
I have just a problem:
since I have to use a wireless card wich need ndiswrapper to work I can't load the module with that kernel, I  have tried to install ndiswrapper-all(or something like that) from AUR but it doesn't work.
I think the problem is that there aren't the right kernel headers installed.

Is there the possibility to install kernel headers for kernel26-drm-radeon-testing or I have to download the whole kernel and compile with that?
I'm not a complete newbie, so if you give me some tips I could try to build missing things.

Thank you!

#1677 2010-10-18 20:58:38

Perry3D

cata wrote:

I have a Radeon Mobility HD 5830, and Evergreen support doesn't seem to be working for me, with either the core xf86-video-ati or the stack of components in the [radeon] repo (all the git packages that Perry's OP lists.)  When I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I still see:

(II) RADEON(0): No DRI yet on Evergreen

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration disabled

If I run glxinfo, sure enough, software rendering.  Anyone know what I can do to get DRI working?

Are you sure you are using the drm-radeon-testing kernel? What does the output of dmesg|grep drm say?

glsg wrote:

Hi all!
I have an HD 5670/1Gb card and it works fine with kernel26-drm-radeon-testing.
I have just a problem:
since I have to use a wireless card wich need ndiswrapper to work I can't load the module with that kernel, I  have tried to install ndiswrapper-all(or something like that) from AUR but it doesn't work.
I think the problem is that there aren't the right kernel headers installed.

Is there the possibility to install kernel headers for kernel26-drm-radeon-testing or I have to download the whole kernel and compile with that?
I'm not a complete newbie, so if you give me some tips I could try to build missing things.

Thank you!

I don't use the ndiswrapper, but i tried the mentioned PKGBUILD from AUR. I think there is something wrong with the kernel-names.
From the PKGBUILD:

# file /boot/* | grep 'Linux kernel.*boot executable' | grep 'vmlinuz' | sed 's/.*version \([^ ]\+\).*/\1/'#
2.6.35-ARCH
2.6.36-rc5-21390-g26bf62e-dirty,

The comma at the end is a not right.

/edit: Even if i fix this bug, there are still build errors on 2.6.36 kernels (drm-radeon-testing is based on 2.6.36): https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/660664

Last edited by Perry3D (2010-10-18 21:03:41)

#1678 2010-10-19 00:30:38

cata

Perry3D wrote:
cata wrote:

I have a Radeon Mobility HD 5830, and Evergreen support doesn't seem to be working for me, with either the core xf86-video-ati or the stack of components in the [radeon] repo (all the git packages that Perry's OP lists.)  When I look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log, I still see:

(II) RADEON(0): No DRI yet on Evergreen

(WW) RADEON(0): Direct rendering disabled
(EE) RADEON(0): Acceleration initialization failed
(II) RADEON(0): Acceleration disabled

If I run glxinfo, sure enough, software rendering.  Anyone know what I can do to get DRI working?

Are you sure you are using the drm-radeon-testing kernel? What does the output of dmesg|grep drm say?

I was using the drm-radeon-testing kernel, but owing to your inspiration, I figured out the issue -- which was awfully foolish of me.  My grub-mkconfig was still configured to pass "nomodeset" to the kernel from my attempt at using the catalyst-test driver.  Once I took that out, everything works fine : )

Thanks for the help and thanks for the great set of resources you've compiled here to help get this working.

#1679 2010-10-21 23:01:43

Cdh

Both repos are 404 now. Did they move?

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#1680 2010-10-22 06:58:46

glsg
Website

Same thing here.

#1681 2010-10-22 08:29:47

Perry3D

No, they didn't move (or i don't know it wink ). I am trying to contact gtklocker, who is the owner of the webspace.

#1682 2010-10-24 20:11:00

Hannd

Aww, I compiled all the mesa and ati stuff, but I get errors in drivers.

I think it's a kernel error. I'm compiling the git kernel to give it a try.

I hope it works...

UPD: Nothing, the git kernel doesn't work at all.

UPD2: Nevermind, I got the drivers working with Gallium: because the repo is 404, I had to compile the packages using AUR. If somebody has the same problem or something similar, instead of using mesa-full, use libgl-git-gallium, mesa-git-gallium and ati-dri-git-gallium. That solved my problem. Working in ATI HD4650 1GB with Gallium and kernel-git.

Last edited by Hannd (2010-10-25 17:33:22)

#1683 2010-10-25 19:54:03

roughL

Today I switched to using the gallium-r600 drivers. Everything works just fine and some stuff runs smother then before. I'm using the following git packages:
dri2proto-git
glproto-git
libdrm-git
linux-firmware-git
mesa-demos-git
mesa-r600-r700-git <- adapted to build gallium drivers

I just get a strange error message when running glxinfo or glxgears

glxinfo |grep -i opengl
EE r600_pipe.c/r600_get_param:303 - r600: unknown param 31
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV770
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

#1684 2010-10-25 23:08:10

flamelab

#1685 2010-10-27 11:59:07

BigLouis87

I'm waiting for the repo being made up too.
My problem is not for the video driver, but for the kernel... I need kernel headers to compile virtualbox driver module! :-/

#1686 2010-10-27 12:23:15

Octoploid

roughL wrote:

Today I switched to using the gallium-r600 drivers. Everything works just fine and some stuff runs smother then before. I'm using the following git packages:
dri2proto-git
glproto-git
libdrm-git
linux-firmware-git
mesa-demos-git
mesa-r600-r700-git <- adapted to build gallium drivers

I just get a strange error message when running glxinfo or glxgears

glxinfo |grep -i opengl
EE r600_pipe.c/r600_get_param:303 - r600: unknown param 31
OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on RV770
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:

Should be harmless. From an irc log:

04:24 #radeon: < edt> turned on tiling with 2.6.36 and mesa git and get: EE r600_pipe.c/r600_get_param:303 - r600: unknown param 31
04:25 #radeon: < edt> what did I miss?
04:26 #radeon: < airlied> edt: thats just a mesa thing, you can ignore it
04:26 #radeon: < edt> thanks
04:26 #radeon: < airlied> someone added a new gallium cap, and the drivers need to know about it

#1687 2010-10-27 18:43:41

libercv

Are the repos online now? Pacman shows "downloading radeon.db.tar.gz" instead of telling if it's updated or not. And i don't get updates. Is a problem in my box or a problem with the repo?
By the way: thanks a lot Perry3D, flamelab and gtk-locker (and everyone else involved)

Edit: Sorry Perry3D... don't know what i was thinking about. Forgot to thank you...

Last edited by libercv (2010-10-28 21:05:39)

#1688 2010-10-27 18:49:11

Perry3D

libercv wrote:

Are the repos online now? Pacman shows "downloading radeon.db.tar.gz" instead of telling if it's updated or not. And i don't get updates. Is a problem in my box or a problem with the repo?
By the way: thanks a lot flamelab and gtk-locker (and everyone else involved)

No, it is still down. I even get no access per ssh (which i normally use to upload the packages).
I tried to reach gtklocker with mail and jabber, but no response.

Maybe i need some new webspace. Or i fall back to Dropbox sad.

#1689 2010-10-27 22:19:43

splashy

Anyone's using KDE her? Because with mesa 7.9 and the kernel in the 2.6.35 or 2.6.36 version the blur effect in kde is broken and the kernel 2.6.36 and mesa 7.8 doen't works well (lots of lags, and windows who disapears).
I would know if someone with KDE can use it with mesa 7.9 and kernel 2.6.36 without any problems?

#1690 2010-10-28 08:48:37

handy

Perry3D wrote:

I have some web space. I pay for it but a few other guys do the technical work to run our tiny forum.

If it comes down to it & you need somewhere to host the files give me a yell & I'll talk to the tech' team.

There shouldn't be any difficulties in this regard.

[Edit:] I've notified the tech' staff of our forum asking if there would be any problems with us hosting your repo' Perry. My understanding would be that we would give you the info' that you require so that you could load & update the files as you need.

Anyway, if there are any (unforeseen by me) problems with this, our tech' guru will certainly tell me when he gets online & sends me a reply.

I'll post the results of his (their) reply. smile

Last edited by handy (2010-10-29 04:43:16)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#1691 2010-10-28 16:12:51

handy

@Perry3D: Here is the reply from the main tech' guy who runs our forum:

"I would think that would be fine. Give us some time to sort out the details, but we should be able to set him up with an FTP directory, account, and password. I'm at work right now, but will look into it later today if Faolan or smartboyathome don't get there before me."

Sorivenul, who wrote the above, works maintaining a university server system. So unlike me, he is not all thumbs in this department. smile

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
I'm over it!

#1692 2010-10-29 08:55:23

TemplarGR

Perry3D wrote:
libercv wrote:

No, it is still down. I even get no access per ssh (which i normally use to upload the packages).

This is not the first time you have problems with gtklocker's webspace. You should have abandoned it sooner. He is unreliable.

This is what makes me mad about opensource projects. Some people don't seem to get in their heads that just because this is volunteer work and not paid, it doesn't mean there is no responsibility. If you make your work public and expect people to use your work, you should provide support, or at least have the decency to declare that you no longer support your project, or you went on vacation or anything to at least inform them to use something else...

#1693 2010-10-29 11:01:19

mhertz

Where do you get off posting such BS! If you can do something better, fine, do it, but to slander other volunters and bitch about not getting the propper support is seriously bad style!

#1694 2010-10-29 15:28:18

Perry3D

TemplarGR wrote:
Perry3D wrote:
libercv wrote:

This is not the first time you have problems with gtklocker's webspace. You should have abandoned it sooner. He is unreliable.

This is what makes me mad about opensource projects. Some people don't seem to get in their heads that just because this is volunteer work and not paid, it doesn't mean there is no responsibility. If you make your work public and expect people to use your work, you should provide support, or at least have the decency to declare that you no longer support your project, or you went on vacation or anything to at least inform them to use something else...

I agree, you should take it seriously if you offer some public work. But you never know what is happening in gtklockers life. There are always project that have a higher priority than a this one (family, job ...). Maybe he is on vacation and just don't know about the current status of the server.

@handy: That sounds very good. Are there limits regarding the traffic or the space? I never measured it.
Just write my an email to perry3d@googlemail.com if you know the login (i also use this as jabber-account, so you can contact me).
Thank you smile

Last edited by Perry3D (2010-10-29 15:30:36)

#1695 2010-10-29 22:08:00

handy

Perry3D wrote:

@handy: That sounds very good. Are there limits regarding the traffic or the space? I never measured it.
Just write my an email to perry3d@googlemail.com if you know the login (i also use this as jabber-account, so you can contact me).
Thank you smile

No limits in that regard that I'm aware of. There are no videos & such allowed to be displayed.  I think that was the only limit.

Our forum currently only has about 40 members; a number that is growing very slowly, which suits us fine. smile

I'll talk to the guys & see if I one of them can set you up this weekend.

I'm over it!

#1696 2010-10-29 23:47:35

Cdh

Automatically building new versions of mesa every few days would be nice... It only takes 4:30 for me so it shouldn't be a big deal.
I would like a lib32-mesa-full that is in sync with mesa. A lib32-mesa-full-gallium would be also nice. I have tried building it based on lib32-mesa-full and mesa-full-gallium and it works. But now I have the mesa git four times on my PC and I have to update 4 times mesa...

I have another problem not 100% belonging here, but maybe someone can help?
When I tried to build lib32-mesa-full with --enable-egl I got "/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /lib/libudev.so when searching for -ludev". But there is no lib32-udev and it seems hard to build it as lib32... Anyone got an easy solution?

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#1697 2010-10-30 06:26:19

handy

@Perry3D: I've emailed you the details. The account has been setup by Sorivenul, for you, on our space. smile

You should be good to go.

Last edited by handy (2010-10-30 06:28:24)

I'm over it!

#1698 2010-10-30 11:20:59

Perry3D

Thx handy, works like a charm.

First try for x86_64:

[radeon]
Server = http://spiralinear.org/perry3d/x86_64/

#1699 2010-10-30 11:59:23

handy

Worked fine for me too. smile

Glad there weren't any bumps in the road.

I'm over it!

#1700 2010-10-30 12:01:25

Perry3D

handy wrote:

Worked fine for me too. smile

Glad there weren't any bumps in the road.

Nice, now someone can test the i686 repo:

[radeon]
Server = http://spiralinear.org/perry3d/i686/

Last edited by Perry3D (2010-10-30 12:01:43)

Board footer