You are not logged in.

#1701 2010-10-30 14:08:02

gtklocker

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Ah, really nice. Really really nice.

Thanks for calling me unreliable.

@TemplarGR άντε φάε κανα σουβλάκι. Να ξε-τρελαθείς...

#1702 2010-10-30 14:28:21

hoschi

Hello,
I own a Radeon 5650-Mobile, what packages I need to install?
Can I use the gallium stuff with my card?

#1703 2010-10-30 16:01:32

Perry3D

@hoschi: You need a new kernel. I think you can choose between kernel26-drm-radeon-testing from the radeon repo (newest features you can get) and 2.6.36 from testing.
Then you need to install glproto-git, dri2proto-git, libdrm-git, mesa-full and xf86-video-ati-git (all in the radeon repo).
Ich komme übrigens aus der selben Stadt. Vielleicht kennt man sich ja (wenn du auch an der Uni warst/bist). smile

#1704 2010-10-30 16:03:14

ChemBro

Perry3D wrote:

Nice, now someone can test the i686 repo:

[radeon]
Server = http://spiralinear.org/perry3d/i686/

Works, thanks!

#1705 2010-10-31 12:15:00

hoschi

Perry3D wrote:

@hoschi: You need a new kernel. I think you can choose between kernel26-drm-radeon-testing from the radeon repo (newest features you can get) and 2.6.36 from testing.
Then you need to install glproto-git, dri2proto-git, libdrm-git, mesa-full and xf86-video-ati-git (all in the radeon repo).
Ich komme übrigens aus der selben Stadt. Vielleicht kennt man sich ja (wenn du auch an der Uni warst/bist). smile

Thanks. I already use a self compiled vanilla-kernel (2.6.36), so I will try the packages as soon as possible.
Ich habe eine Ausbildung als Fachinformatiker fuer Anwendungsentwicklung (Trainee Software-Development) begonnen, bei einer Firma ganz in der Naehe zur Uni.
Hast du mit dem CCC-Ulm oder den Piraten vor Ort zu tun?

Last edited by hoschi (2010-10-31 12:17:00)

#1706 2010-10-31 12:48:58

Demon

@Perry3D, how about including these patches:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/pflip/
?

(More info here.)

Last edited by Demon (2010-10-31 12:50:17)

#1707 2010-10-31 14:05:08

Perry3D

Demon wrote:

@Perry3D, how about including these patches:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/pflip/
?

(More info here.)

I already read this thread, but there were issues.
But they seam to be stable now.

#1708 2010-10-31 16:20:22

delerious010

Has anyone managed to get KMS early start to work with their Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) ?

I've added intel_agp and radeon to my mkinitcpio.conf file however if I try to load up with KMS enabled, I'll just get a black screen as soon as the module is loaded. Based on how the TV's behaving, I've a fealing that the the input just dies out at that time.

#1709 2010-10-31 18:55:18

hoschi

Hit me if I am wrong, "intel_agp" should only be necessary if you have a graphics card from Intel or and old system with a real agp-port.

#1710 2010-10-31 20:33:15

delerious010

Yar, I'd have to agree with you on that one.
Pretty much at that step where you've run out of ideas and start trying just about anything to get it to work. *shrug*

#1711 2010-10-31 23:23:20

kinu

delerious010 wrote:

Has anyone managed to get KMS early start to work with their Radeon HD 4350 (RV710) ?

I've added intel_agp and radeon to my mkinitcpio.conf file however if I try to load up with KMS enabled, I'll just get a black screen as soon as the module is loaded. Based on how the TV's behaving, I've a fealing that the the input just dies out at that time.

It's working ok on a laptop with HD4750, RV710 too, I think. Arch stock kernel, radeon in mkinitcpio.conf modules, and plymouth in hooks.

#1712 2010-10-31 23:28:36

hoschi

delerious010 wrote:

Yar, I'd have to agree with you on that one.
Pretty much at that step where you've run out of ideas and start trying just about anything to get it to work. *shrug*

Oh yes. I am very familiar with this situations.
wink

#1713 2010-11-01 02:04:07

BigLouis87

the new repo i686 works great! smile
sorry for the repeat... perry can you upload the headers for the kernel in the repo? I really need them to let Virtualbox start!
thank you!

#1714 2010-11-01 20:51:33

Riko

Hello Sirs,
I have ati radeon xpress 1100 video card, and was tryiing to install catalyst drivers.
Doing "sudo aticonfig --initial" got error  "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"
Guess my card isnt supported, but maybe i could install older version of catalyst? And wich one?
Using open source drivers i cant play any 3d game..
Thanks in advance!

#1715 2010-11-01 22:26:45

BigLouis87

Riko wrote:

Hello Sirs,
I have ati radeon xpress 1100 video card, and was tryiing to install catalyst drivers.
Doing "sudo aticonfig --initial" got error  "aticonfig: No supported adapters detected"
Guess my card isnt supported, but maybe i could install older version of catalyst? And wich one?
Using open source drivers i cant play any 3d game..
Thanks in advance!

Hi Riko, i'm sorry but your video card is not supported anymore by proprietary catalyst driver, the last Xorgs are not compatibles.
Your only choice is to use the open radeon driver, and it goes great with 3d games.
Have you followed the instructions in the first post of this thread?

#1716 2010-11-02 21:05:43

Riko

BigLouis87 wrote:

Hi Riko, i'm sorry but your video card is not supported anymore by proprietary catalyst driver, the last Xorgs are not compatibles.
Your only choice is to use the open radeon driver, and it goes great with 3d games.
Have you followed the instructions in the first post of this thread?

Thanks for reply, Sir!
Im trying to follow instructions on first post, but cant install none of mentioned packages. Is repo broken or what?
Getting errors: "error: 'kernel26-drm-radeon-testing': could not find or read package" for all packages.

#1717 2010-11-02 21:28:25

Perry3D

Sorry, that was my fault. I just switched the webspace and didn't actualize the first post. Now its done :-)

#1718 2010-11-02 21:34:35

Riko

Sir, still cant install it hmm
To pacman.conf i added this repo:

Then doing

[tomas@myhost ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu kernel26-drm-radeon-testing linux-firmware-git dri2proto-git glproto-git  libdrm-git mesa-full mesa-demos-git mesa-full-gallium xf86-video-ati-git libtxc_dxtn
:: Synchronizing package databases...
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
radeon is up to date
nightly is up to date
error: 'libtxc_dxtn': could not find or read package

And still cant read packages sad

#1719 2010-11-02 22:57:24

hoschi

I think you are new to GNU/Linux or especially to Archlinux, is that right?

If YES:
This thread and the repository is for users who want (and maybe need) drivers which are currently in development, this drivers are not stable and not for typical users.
Your card is well supported by the current stable drivers, just install xf86-video-ati with "$ pacman -S xf86-video-ati" (pacman will resolve the dependencys).
Here you can learn more: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

If NO:
As far as I know "libtxc_dxtn" is not part of mesa (and the repository), this is a issue with (software)patents.
Libtxc_dxtn it is not required but should increase performance, you can find it in AUR. Please correct me if I am wrong (maybe it is now included in mesa or something else)?!

Last edited by hoschi (2010-11-02 23:05:23)

#1720 2010-11-03 13:26:26

TemplarGR

gtklocker wrote:

Ah, really nice. Really really nice.

Thanks for calling me unreliable.

@TemplarGR άντε φάε κανα σουβλάκι. Να ξε-τρελαθείς...

You ARE unreliable... You didn't even apologize for you lack of interest in your own fscking repo.

#1721 2010-11-03 13:38:27

TemplarGR

Perry3D wrote:
TemplarGR wrote:
Perry3D wrote:

No, it is still down. I even get no access per ssh (which i normally use to upload the packages).
I tried to reach gtklocker with mail and jabber, but no response.

Maybe i need some new webspace. Or i fall back to Dropbox sad.

This is not the first time you have problems with gtklocker's webspace. You should have abandoned it sooner. He is unreliable.

This is what makes me mad about opensource projects. Some people don't seem to get in their heads that just because this is volunteer work and not paid, it doesn't mean there is no responsibility. If you make your work public and expect people to use your work, you should provide support, or at least have the decency to declare that you no longer support your project, or you went on vacation or anything to at least inform them to use something else...

I agree, you should take it seriously if you offer some public work. But you never know what is happening in gtklockers life. There are always project that have a higher priority than a this one (family, job ...). Maybe he is on vacation and just don't know about the current status of the server.

@handy: That sounds very good. Are there limits regarding the traffic or the space? I never measured it.
Just write my an email to perry3d@googlemail.com if you know the login (i also use this as jabber-account, so you can contact me).
Thank you smile

You know, whatever is happening in his life, he could at least inform us. He could just sent a message saying he won't be able to check his webspace for whatever reason. This is ok.

The most frustrating thing about this, is that from what i recall it was he that made you switch to his webspace. You didn't ask him for it... As i recall, your previous repo worked better than his... It is like someone asking to lower everyone else's experience...

Reliablity is the most important thing. And being reliable isn't about working full-time for free. It is about caring for those few or more people who use your work. When you expect you won't be able to work on something for some time, you should provide info, or access to others to maintain that work. For example if you need to stop maintaining this repo for whatever the reason, you should at least tell us. It costs only about 1 minute of your time...

Opensource would be dead if all project leaders were unreliable and didn't give a damn about their users.

#1722 2010-11-03 14:28:29

handy

TemplarGR wrote:

This is not the first time you have problems with gtklocker's webspace. You should have abandoned it sooner. He is unreliable.

gtklocker, has been kind enough to provide us all with web space at his cost for many months.

For this all of us who appreciate that ARE grateful.

For the innocent (ignorant) bystander who even attempts to try & appreciate the huge variety of things that can possibly appear in a person's life completely unexpectedly, it makes it very easy to relate to John Lennon's line "life is what happens to you, while you are busy making other plans."

Let it go man?

We have no problems here.

Last edited by handy (2010-11-04 07:32:23)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#1723 2010-11-06 01:36:02

xheyther

It would be very nice if someone could tell me where I should put the "echo dynpm > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method" command so it would be automatically ran each time I boot up my computer.

I'm a little bit tired to type it...

#1724 2010-11-06 04:52:25

handy

xheyther wrote:

It would be very nice if someone could tell me where I should put the "echo dynpm > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method" command so it would be automatically ran each time I boot up my computer.

I'm a little bit tired to type it...

I'd try adding the line to /etc/profile.d/radeon.sh

Make the radeon.sh file if it doesn't already exist & of course make it executable.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#1725 2010-11-06 05:59:06

hdhoang

I put it in /etc/rc.local, which is run at each boot.

Board footer