You are not logged in.

#151 2009-10-29 19:29:45

ChemBro
Member
Registered: 2008-10-22
Posts: 675

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

arti74 wrote:

What I am doing wrong?

Nothing. The package is out of date (and the maintainer didn't update it).

Offline

#152 2009-10-29 19:36:01

Perry3D
Member
Registered: 2008-03-20
Posts: 542

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

# Maintainer: LEW21 <lew21@xtreeme.org>

pkgname=kernel26-drm-next
pkgver=20091029
_realver=2.6.31
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="KMS-enabled DRM kernel modules from Dave Airlie's drm-next branch. Radeon users: use with radeon-firmware, xf86-video-ati-git, mesa-full."
arch=(i686 x86_64)
url="http://airlied.livejournal.com/68097.html"
license=('LGPL')
depends=('glibc' "kernel26>=${_realver}")
makedepends=('git' 'gcc')
source=('fix-config.patch' 'fix-version.patch')
md5sums=('874aa58c2a410c2075f1b082b961f09c' '7b77653a4c80a7d0961ed7d90bb9c57c')
install=('drm.install')

_gitroot="git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/airlied/drm-2.6.git"
_gitbranch="drm-next"
_gitname="drm-2.6"

build() {
    [ `uname -r` != '2.6.31-ARCH' ] && (
        msg "Reboot your system into Arch's 2.6.31 kernel before building this package."
        return 1
    )

    msg "Connecting to git.kernel.org GIT server...."

    if [ -d $startdir/src/$_gitname ] ; then
        cd $_gitname || return 1
        (
            git checkout master -f
            git branch -D drm-next
        ) 2> /dev/null
        git pull origin || return 1
        msg "The local files are updated."
    else
        git clone $_gitroot --depth 1
        cd $_gitname || return 1
        msg "GIT checkout done."
    fi

    msg "Selecting a branch: $_gitbranch"
    git checkout -b $_gitbranch origin/$_gitbranch

    msg "Starting make..."

    rm -rf $startdir/src/$_gitname-build
    cp -rH $startdir/src/$_gitname $startdir/src/$_gitname-build
    cd $startdir/src/$_gitname-build

    zcat /proc/config.gz > .config
    #patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/fix-config.patch" || return 1

    # Remove rc9 and git's revision id from module's version number, so they won't conflict with Arch's kernel
    patch -Np1 -i "${srcdir}/fix-version.patch" || return 1
    rm -Rf .git

    make modules || return 1

    cd drivers/gpu/drm || return 1

    _drmdir=${pkgdir}/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/drm.next
    mkdir -p ${_drmdir} || return 1
    for _file in *.ko
    do
        cp $_file ${_drmdir} || return 1
    done
    for _dir in *
    do
        if [ -d $_dir ]
        then
            mkdir ${_drmdir}/$_dir || return 1
            for _file in $_dir/*.ko
            do
                cp $_file ${_drmdir}/$_dir || return 1
            done
        fi
    done
}

Offline

#153 2009-10-29 19:37:20

arti74
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-10-21
Posts: 21

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Thank You for a quick reply ChemBro. So if this package is out of date - then i think almost whole topic is "out of date". Now.. how to achieve kms with 3D support on my hd4850?
Ohh didn't notice quick post of Perry3D. Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Last edited by arti74 (2009-10-29 19:40:35)

Offline

#154 2009-10-29 20:55:01

venky80
Member
Registered: 2007-05-13
Posts: 996

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

is the initial instructions fairly updated?


DELL XPS 1640 with ATI Mobility Radeon  HD 3670. Arch Linux KDE Minimal Install

Offline

#155 2009-10-29 21:27:16

arti74
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-10-21
Posts: 21

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Perry's build script update for the kernel26-drm-next was very helpful - now the kernel compiled without any problems. Thanks a lot! Next i'll try to run X server on the new driver - i'll try report my progress.
Sorry for my grammar or whatever english mistakes wink

After couples of blank black screen, errors in dmesg and xorg.log, now everything seems loaded succesfully. First i had problem with libdri.so - i tried symbolic links, but only removing this and reinstall xorg-server helped. Next i noticed dri and drm problem on logs - the reason was drm-radeon-module-git-r6xx-r7xx-3d, which i forget to remove earlier, after this modprobing radeon and drm went fine. Now i have nice composite desktop (only with xorg.conf present), direct rendering = on, etc..
Unfortunately i'm not happy yet - kde4 is now so sloow - minimizing and max. window takes ages.. I don't know - maybe i should install radeonhd-git instead ati-git for my radeon hd4850 card? Someone has this card, and can share with some experience? With catalyst everything was fast - the only reason i abanoned this is that I couldn't turning on desktop effects (and transparent taskbar), because of blinking, flickering mouse cursor... So my conclusion is - I have yet some things to correct wink

Edit: I've changed from XRender to OpenGL in desktop preferences, and everything is now going smoothly big_smile How to check if 3D and kms is already working without installing some games? Glxgears test isn't probably enough?  BTW thanks for the great topic!

Last edited by arti74 (2009-10-30 21:04:48)

Offline

#156 2009-11-02 14:41:34

ignus
Member
Registered: 2009-04-14
Posts: 29

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

When installing libgl-git, the process hangs after "checking out objects".

Offline

#157 2009-11-02 15:17:12

Perry3D
Member
Registered: 2008-03-20
Posts: 542

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

arti74 wrote:

Perry's build script update for the kernel26-drm-next was very helpful - now the kernel compiled without any problems. Thanks a lot! Next i'll try to run X server on the new driver - i'll try report my progress.
Sorry for my grammar or whatever english mistakes wink

After couples of blank black screen, errors in dmesg and xorg.log, now everything seems loaded succesfully. First i had problem with libdri.so - i tried symbolic links, but only removing this and reinstall xorg-server helped. Next i noticed dri and drm problem on logs - the reason was drm-radeon-module-git-r6xx-r7xx-3d, which i forget to remove earlier, after this modprobing radeon and drm went fine. Now i have nice composite desktop (only with xorg.conf present), direct rendering = on, etc..
Unfortunately i'm not happy yet - kde4 is now so sloow - minimizing and max. window takes ages.. I don't know - maybe i should install radeonhd-git instead ati-git for my radeon hd4850 card? Someone has this card, and can share with some experience? With catalyst everything was fast - the only reason i abanoned this is that I couldn't turning on desktop effects (and transparent taskbar), because of blinking, flickering mouse cursor... So my conclusion is - I have yet some things to correct wink

Edit: I've changed from XRender to OpenGL in desktop preferences, and everything is now going smoothly big_smile How to check if 3D and kms is already working without installing some games? Glxgears test isn't probably enough?  BTW thanks for the great topic!

I also have a HD4850. Stay at the ati-git driver. It should be better than the radeonhd-driver.
Your 3D-acceleration is working if you can switch to the opengl-renderer.

@ignus: Try again later. Maybe the git-server has some problems.

Offline

#158 2009-11-02 23:34:58

bcat
Member
From: New York, NY, USA
Registered: 2009-01-02
Posts: 30
Website

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

ignus wrote:

When installing libgl-git, the process hangs after "checking out objects".

It eventually finishes here. You just need to wait a long time.

Also, some quick notes on how I got this (mostly) working: Following the instructions in the first post broke X. The X server would start, but all I got was colored noise. I fixed this by adding a mkinitcpio hook as directed in csslayer's comment on the radeon-firmware package. This gave me working KMS and 2D acceleration. However, OpenGL apps would cause the system to lock up. Adding the "nomodeset" option to the kernel command line fixed this. I still can't get the OpenGL-based bsnes to actually render anything, though.

Update: Switch bsnes from OpenGL to X-Video works, and it still gives acceptable frame rates.

Last edited by bcat (2009-11-03 03:28:15)


Running Arch on a Dell Studio 1735. xmonad FTW! Dotfiles here.
Want free cloud-based file sharing? Sign up for Dropbox and we both get some bonus storage!

Offline

#159 2009-11-03 13:04:44

dan.boff
Member
Registered: 2009-04-07
Posts: 42

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

mesa-full seems to be broken:
glxext.c:647: Fehler: »info« nicht deklariert (erste Benutzung in dieser Funktion)
glxext.c:647: Warnung: Implizite Deklaration der Funktion »__glXFindDisplay«
glxext.c:659: Warnung: Implizite Deklaration der Funktion »XextHasExtension«
glxext.c:662: Warnung: Implizite Deklaration der Funktion »XMissingExtension«
make[2]: *** [glxext.o] Fehler 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/mesa-full/src/mesa-build/src/glx/x11'
make[1]: *** [subdirs] Fehler 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/mesa-full/src/mesa-build/src'
make: *** [default] Fehler 1

any idea how i can solve this?

edit: fix it, really strange though:
Xext.h was missing
no idea how that could've happened

Last edited by dan.boff (2009-11-03 13:17:45)

Offline

#160 2009-11-03 13:44:01

insanemal
Member
From: Brisbane/Australia
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 139

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

A big thanks to Perry3D! I'm now in the land of experimental ATI support.
and its working pretty well.
Compiz is a little slower.. and water effects don't work.. BUT xserver 1.7 does.
So I'm happy.. with full KMS and 3D.

Offline

#161 2009-11-03 14:24:39

Perry3D
Member
Registered: 2008-03-20
Posts: 542

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

insanemal wrote:

A big thanks to Perry3D! I'm now in the land of experimental ATI support.
and its working pretty well.
Compiz is a little slower.. and water effects don't work.. BUT xserver 1.7 does.
So I'm happy.. with full KMS and 3D.

Did you start compiz with direct rendering?

Offline

#162 2009-11-05 12:03:19

insanemal
Member
From: Brisbane/Australia
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 139

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

HAHAHAH no
I found that after my laptop started randomly crashing!

But even with direct rendering water doesnt work.

The screen goes all weird, like dark and fuzzy..

Im none too worried.. they are GIT drivers so there is possibly some bug ...

The other thing that gets me is scrolling seems to be slow... and yuck. However if I restart compiz using Compiz Fusion-icon.. it seems to clear up the scrolling...
So I think possibly my compiz is firing up in indirect...
How the heck can I check that?

Offline

#163 2009-11-05 13:04:33

Perry3D
Member
Registered: 2008-03-20
Posts: 542

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

insanemal wrote:

HAHAHAH no
I found that after my laptop started randomly crashing!

But even with direct rendering water doesnt work.

The screen goes all weird, like dark and fuzzy..

Im none too worried.. they are GIT drivers so there is possibly some bug ...

The other thing that gets me is scrolling seems to be slow... and yuck. However if I restart compiz using Compiz Fusion-icon.. it seems to clear up the scrolling...
So I think possibly my compiz is firing up in indirect...
How the heck can I check that?

It is still in development. Some compiz effects doesn't work due to some missing features in the opengl stack. I think blur doesn't work too!

I have started to use the kernel26-git package, cause sometimes i get a black screen when using kernel26-drm-next.

I only start compiz with fusion-icon. So i don't know how to start compiz with direct-rendering.

Last edited by Perry3D (2009-11-05 13:04:51)

Offline

#164 2009-11-05 13:56:09

insanemal
Member
From: Brisbane/Australia
Registered: 2009-05-05
Posts: 139

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Loose Binding seems to fix my scroll speed....

Tho aparently your not supposed to use it with Opensource drivers?
(somebody on the compiz forum said it would cause windows to not update.. ?)

Offline

#165 2009-11-07 21:46:07

yimm
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-10-16
Posts: 106

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Now i have some black lines on kde 4.
capturedcran2.png

capturedcran1g.png
Any ideas? Problems with mesa?

Last edited by yimm (2009-11-07 21:48:10)

Offline

#166 2009-11-08 17:23:19

dan.boff
Member
Registered: 2009-04-07
Posts: 42

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

fixed by today.  also great speed improvement on my 4850, at least it feels even more responsive than before.

Offline

#167 2009-11-09 20:11:57

yimm
Member
From: France
Registered: 2009-10-16
Posts: 106

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Yes, it seems to be fixed.

Edit : no, always the same problem...

Last edited by yimm (2009-11-09 20:12:23)

Offline

#168 2009-11-10 02:46:31

Cory
Member
Registered: 2009-07-13
Posts: 57

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

I have just tried these drivers and they work enough good to be experimental and still in development. Thank you very much to all the programmers and to those who support the packages in aur for making this possible

Offline

#169 2009-11-10 09:59:47

litemotiv
Forum Fellow
Registered: 2008-08-01
Posts: 5,026

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

bcat wrote:
ignus wrote:

When installing libgl-git, the process hangs after "checking out objects".

It eventually finishes here. You just need to wait a long time.

Also, some quick notes on how I got this (mostly) working: Following the instructions in the first post broke X. The X server would start, but all I got was colored noise. I fixed this by adding a mkinitcpio hook as directed in csslayer's comment on the radeon-firmware package. This gave me working KMS and 2D acceleration. However, OpenGL apps would cause the system to lock up. Adding the "nomodeset" option to the kernel command line fixed this. I still can't get the OpenGL-based bsnes to actually render anything, though.

Update: Switch bsnes from OpenGL to X-Video works, and it still gives acceptable frame rates.

have you tried disabling DRI2? i had the same issues as you and disabling that seems to have solved it for me without having to disable KMS.

edit: hmm no, still some random lockups with kms enabled

thanks Perry3D for the startup guide! smile

Last edited by litemotiv (2009-11-10 11:48:35)


ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

Offline

#170 2009-11-10 11:06:21

lman
Member
From: CZ
Registered: 2007-12-18
Posts: 252

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Hi, I have a hd4850 too.
I installed kernel26-git, kernel26-firmware-git, mesa-full, xf86-video-ati-git. However kernel loading hangs at point, where its loading microcode RV770_pfp.bin:
platform radeon_cp.0: firmware: requesting radeon/RV770_pfp.bin

I checked in the filesystem, /lib/firmware/radeon/RV770_pfp.bin exists. Any idea what's wrong?

Edit:
after disablen kms at in kernel line (nomodeset) everything is working fine.

Weeee big_smile compiz is working again
Thanks

Last edited by lman (2009-11-10 11:21:40)

Offline

#171 2009-11-10 11:55:44

Perry3D
Member
Registered: 2008-03-20
Posts: 542

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Hmm...did you update to libdrm-git?

Offline

#172 2009-11-10 13:35:18

lman
Member
From: CZ
Registered: 2007-12-18
Posts: 252

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

I did now. But still the same. BTW. I do have to put radeon to the mkinitcpio.conf to MODULES, right?

Offline

#173 2009-11-10 13:47:03

flamelab
Member
From: Athens, Hellas (Greece)
Registered: 2007-12-26
Posts: 2,160

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

You must rebuild xf86-video-ati and mesa-full again.

Offline

#174 2009-11-10 14:06:41

lman
Member
From: CZ
Registered: 2007-12-18
Posts: 252

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Done, without nomodeset still the same error.

Offline

#175 2009-11-10 15:07:31

Perry3D
Member
Registered: 2008-03-20
Posts: 542

Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

lman wrote:

I did now. But still the same. BTW. I do have to put radeon to the mkinitcpio.conf to MODULES, right?

You don't need to put the module in the mkinitcpio.conf.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB