Re: Discussion: the ati/radeon open source drivers & radeon repository

Doesn't work well for me...
2vcclxv_th.jpg

฿ 18PRsqbZCrwPUrVnJe1BZvza7bwSDbpxZz

#2252 2012-03-15 14:07:51

trapanator

Lone_Wolf wrote:

It does run with my HD4890 and my own mesa-git packages.

it's slow though, in demo mode :
1920x1080 5-6 FPS,
windowed 10 - 12 FPS

do you have lib32-mesa installed ?

I'll check for it tonight.

But as you said those FPS, I will not run it on my HD3200.

#2253 2012-03-19 12:10:56

agapito

If you plan to buy a 6790 card, don't buy it. After 1 year on the market, this card doesn't work with open source driver, well not if KMS is enabled. That sucks.

I had a 5770 card, after a RMA  I received a 6790 card. At least works fine with catalyst.

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=39282

Last edited by agapito (2012-03-19 12:14:13)

Excuse my poor English.

#2254 2012-03-21 19:33:28

rubdos

So, what is my problem...
I was running XFCE.
I'm running on fglrx drivers for a year now. Used to be on my ASUS HD3xxx card on Catalyst.
I recently switched to HD6850 (new one from MSI. Fast as hell), works nicely. I loved 1000fps compiz tongue
I switched to gnome 3. Lovely interface, I must say. But it don't want to use the proprietary drivers (and so do I).

Then I read the FOS drivers were getting close to having good 3D performance on Minecraft (the only game I play sometimes).
So I decided to throw away catalyst. And so I did.
Changed inittab from 5 to 3 (for simple reboot).
Uninstalled some proprietary stuff like catalyst-hook and amdoverdrivectrl.
Installed xf86-video-ati
mv'ed all xorg.conf* files to xorg.conf*.bup

I can't get KMS to start, and HD6850 can't start without KMS on the FOS driver (tell's xorg: 'drm report modesetting isn't supported').
I tried on kernel line 'radeon.modeset=1' and remove 'quiet', but then Arch stops booting after loading udevd.
I tried to remove nomodeset and quiet, same result
I tried starting X without KMS, X throws
I pacman'ed -S xf86-video-vesa && xinit and then my system freezed...

I don't know what to do now. Anybody a clue?

Ruben

#2255 2012-03-21 20:42:35

lordheavy
Developer

rubdos wrote:

I don't know what to do now. Anybody a clue?
Ruben

Did you install the linux-firmware package ?

Post (pastebin/...) the output of your kernel's log (or dmesg) , and Xorg.0.log file.

#2256 2012-03-22 00:05:40

handy

I found that my HD 6450 doesn't support KMS!
So I have to use vesa mode (which is thankfully unrecognisable compared to what it used to be).

The only real bad news I struck was that after a long time trying to get my 24" LCD screen's native 1920x1200 res' in vesa, I discovered by using the command:

sudo hwinfo --framebuffer | less

that vesa doesn't support the 1920x1200 resolution I wanted:

------<snip>
Mode 0x03d6: 1856x1392 (+7424), 24 bits
Mode 0x03e3: 1920x1440 (+1920), 8 bits
Mode 0x03e5: 1920x1440 (+3840), 16 bits
Mode 0x03e6: 1920x1440 (+7680), 24 bits
------<snip>

But I can live with 1600x1200.

Last edited by handy (2012-03-22 00:06:53)

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2257 2012-03-22 08:35:55

Wilco

Why shouldn't HD6450 work with KMS? Can't find any sources on google about this

#2258 2012-03-22 16:44:14

handy

Wilco wrote:

Why shouldn't HD6450 work with KMS? Can't find any sources on google about this

It has been some time since I did battle with this problem. From memory that was what Xorg.0.log told me. I tried everything I could find on the net to try & change the situation & could not.

Then, as mentioned previously, I tried everything I could to get vesa to give me 1920x1200 & could not, though I have some understanding of why that did not work.

I used to be surprised that I was still surprised by my own stupidity, finding it strangely refreshing.
Well, now I don't find it refreshing.
I'm over it!

#2259 2012-03-22 16:50:37

a1ex

The last update rendered my Thinkpad X31 quite useless.

The graphics card identifies itself as ATI RV100 LY [Mobility Radeon 7000].
With KMS enabled it never survived the suspend/resume circle, but now nomodeset broke and the display gets stuck as soon as X tries to start.

Can somebody confirm this? Is there something I could try?

//e
Well, it can be solved by downgrading, although I dont know whats responsible for this mess.

warning: ati-dri: ignoring package upgrade (7.11.2-1 => 8.0.2-1)
warning: libdrm: ignoring package upgrade (2.4.31-1 => 2.4.32-1)
warning: libgl: ignoring package upgrade (7.11.2-1 => 8.0.2-1)
warning: mesa: ignoring package upgrade (7.11.2-1 => 8.0.2-1)
warning: xf86-input-evdev: ignoring package upgrade (2.6.0-4 => 2.7.0-2)
warning: xf86-video-ati: ignoring package upgrade (6.14.3-1 => 6.14.3-2)
warning: xorg-server: ignoring package upgrade (1.11.4-1 => 1.12.0-1)
warning: xorg-server-common: ignoring package upgrade (1.11.4-1 => 1.12.0-1)
warning: xorg-server-devel: ignoring package upgrade (1.9.4-1 => 1.12.0-1)

//e2
Should I add more/less packages for future stability? And how should I file a bug if I have no idea whats causing this?

Last edited by a1ex (2012-03-23 13:17:01)

#2260 2012-03-23 12:09:23

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

basically those packages can be divided in 3 groups :

A mesa related :    ati-dri, libdrm, libgl, mesa
B xorg drivers : xf86-input-evdev xf86-video-ati
C xorg-server : xorg-server, xorg-server-common, xorg-server-devel

group A and C are the most likely ones to be the cause.

try upgrading group B only and test.

If that works, then upgrade group A and test again

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#2261 2012-03-23 13:21:21

a1ex

Current xf86-video-ati fails to load with 1.11. At least evdev even has the correct dependencies.

#2262 2012-03-24 13:48:35

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

ok, guess my analysis was a bit lacking then.

xf86-video-ati should be in group C.
Now try upgrading mesa , and see if that works.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

#2263 2012-03-25 00:58:01

a1ex

I did try that and it works. Actually the old packages didn't even work correctly in all games and glitched. Oh well. Seems fixed for now.

#2264 2012-03-29 11:58:22

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

Problems: please help me.

1. I have the AMD Radeon HD 6450, I have the xf86-video-ati (open source driver) install, but the problem is that I get alot of kernel panics, and it's a pain in the A**.
2. I was wondering what was the panic cause for my kernel / xorg to just go to a halt, and also I notice my stand-by also sometimes halt my system and the screen won't turn on.
3. Now what should I do i'm thinking on playing some pc games on my arch linux system using wine and direct 9 support with the openGL i'm not sure, but I havn't tried any pc games yet.
4. Should I use the Open Source Driver or the catalyst , but the catalyst says I need xorg 1.11 and i'm using xorg 1.12 and it says it does not support it.
5. Now what should I do to stop these annoying panics, I been going on this forums asking for questions and help and all that and I don't get a positive feedback, perhaps how I ask things, but I figured out my main reason for all my kernel panic, and I know computers good, and I never had any panics like this until I bought a AMD Graphic Card Laugh out loud, I should of got the GT210 or something, I didn't thought Linux would have a major issue, as like other distro have very good driver support for AMD cards like blah (ubuntu) i'll give them credit for that, is like when I tried out ubuntu before it had driver support , and work very well with the system, now I can't figured out why a great Distro like Arch, have alot of issues with AMD Graphic cards?
6. My final statement, please help me out , at least help me from getting all these panics, because honestly I might just leave arch linux and i love it alot but it is really pissing me off alot ... run something panic, sometimes i get like 8 panics in a day i want to fucking rip my hair out, been trying to get help and it seems like Arch Linux need to kick theirself in the ass man.  If I know more about these graphic driver and stuff I would give alot of time and work to figured out a nice way to setup AMD Graphics, and you people can help me, I'll make a great video on my youtube channel to teach people how to correct this matter and major issue.  I love arch linux it is the only linux system i want to use and that's it, I don't want to leave it because of some lack of interest of the AMD Graphics Card driver.

Thanks for reading and I hope We all can get a solution to this issue.  Let's work together and correct this matter, I'm willing to learn and help out at the sametime "FULLTIME" to resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Gary

WM: Awesome
DM: GDM3
PC: ASUSTek M2A-VM [AMD] 8GB of Memory Cooler-Master Elite 330

#2265 2012-03-29 12:25:16

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

It would help if you tried to make your posts more readable (especially longer parts like .5 and .6) , next time please add some blank lines .

- catalyst and xorg 1.11 :  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AT … positories

- if you want to stick to the opensource driver, the following things can be tried  :
try downgrading to an older version of xf86-video-ati
if that doesn't solve the kernel panics, the problem is likely NOT in xf86-video-ati, but could be in mesa.
Aur has several git packages that compile the latest mesa code, try installing 1 of them :
mesa-full
mesa-r600-r700-git
mesa-r600g-git

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2012-03-29 12:25:50)

#2266 2012-03-29 12:37:44

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

Ok thank you very much, i'm sorry I got alot to say and i get carried away with the post and stuff.

I'll check this out, how can i down grade to xorg 1.11 and will this affect my system because i'm on 1.12 xorg

#2267 2012-03-29 12:48:22

Radioactiveman

By adding

[xorg111]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/xorg111/$arch

above all repositories in /etc/pacman.conf
and running

# pacman -Syuu

you will downgrade Xorg to 1.11.
And no, it won't affect your system.

#2268 2012-03-29 12:50:23

phyte

cyberpunkarch wrote:

Problems: please help me.

1. I have the AMD Radeon HD 6450, I have the xf86-video-ati (open source driver) install, but the problem is that I get alot of kernel panics, and it's a pain in the A**.
2. I was wondering what was the panic cause for my kernel / xorg to just go to a halt, and also I notice my stand-by also sometimes halt my system and the screen won't turn on.
3. Now what should I do i'm thinking on playing some pc games on my arch linux system using wine and direct 9 support with the openGL i'm not sure, but I havn't tried any pc games yet.
4. Should I use the Open Source Driver or the catalyst , but the catalyst says I need xorg 1.11 and i'm using xorg 1.12 and it says it does not support it.
5. Now what should I do to stop these annoying panics, I been going on this forums asking for questions and help and all that and I don't get a positive feedback, perhaps how I ask things, but I figured out my main reason for all my kernel panic, and I know computers good, and I never had any panics like this until I bought a AMD Graphic Card Laugh out loud, I should of got the GT210 or something, I didn't thought Linux would have a major issue, as like other distro have very good driver support for AMD cards like blah (ubuntu) i'll give them credit for that, is like when I tried out ubuntu before it had driver support , and work very well with the system, now I can't figured out why a great Distro like Arch, have alot of issues with AMD Graphic cards?
6. My final statement, please help me out , at least help me from getting all these panics, because honestly I might just leave arch linux and i love it alot but it is really pissing me off alot ... run something panic, sometimes i get like 8 panics in a day i want to fucking rip my hair out, been trying to get help and it seems like Arch Linux need to kick theirself in the ass man.  If I know more about these graphic driver and stuff I would give alot of time and work to figured out a nice way to setup AMD Graphics, and you people can help me, I'll make a great video on my youtube channel to teach people how to correct this matter and major issue.  I love arch linux it is the only linux system i want to use and that's it, I don't want to leave it because of some lack of interest of the AMD Graphics Card driver.

Thanks for reading and I hope We all can get a solution to this issue.  Let's work together and correct this matter, I'm willing to learn and help out at the sametime "FULLTIME" to resolve this issue.

Cheers,
Gary

I feel the same! I spend hours to get a working X on my desktop PC (2x Radeon6950). The "aticonfig --initial" always results in an xorg.conf file that segfaulted (Segmentation Fault 11, libpthread.so.0 error). I could only start X without the xorg.conf file. But then I only have standard resolutions available, no 3D acceleration.....
The catalyst drivers are unusable! I followed the wiki and added the xorg111 repository, so that I could install the latest catalyst drivers along with xorg-server 1.11. Nothing worked. Even the xf86-video-ati did not work. Everytime I let aticonfig create an xorg.conf file, X couldn't start...
It was the first time I bought ATI cards. And I won't buy another until they do something about their linux support. Nvidia does so much better.
Well it was an (awful) experience. Next time it will be GeForce again.
Oh and I could not solve the issue. I still don't have a running X.... It was so frustrating that I rebooted into Win7.

Regarding your problem. You need to recompile the "fglrx" module with every kernel update. There are some packages in AUR which address this issue. catalyst-hook comes into my mind. It takes care of the recompilation. Maybe you can try that. But I'm just guessing...

Sorry that I'm not much of a help.

Sometimes, in order to see the light, you have to risk the dark

#2269 2012-03-29 13:01:53

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

nah thank you for the feeback, and you people been good help and kind, and not really so keen of paragraph i know i type alot and just don't care about fucking english much , i really get to the point man... but anyhow no i don't have problems with xorg loading up or anything.

I mean it works fine the RES is fine, but just these freaking PANICS and i was like what the hell is doing this, and i realize AMD Graphics because i never had a Linux Kernel panic in my life in the last 12 years using linux, but like i said i always had nVidia graphics, and at the time i was gaming alot and was dual booting linux and windows, but like 3 days after i bought this card, i said fuck windowz and went fulltime on arch linux bare bone, because i fall inlove with the system and the last 12 years i use linux, in just the 6 months using arch I LEARN ALOT MAN.

funny eh i should of stick with arch from the start oh well, this is why we are human, now i'm using xorg 1.12 how do i rollback to the 1.11 and also i'm not using or even tried fglrx driver at all and i also saw the wiki, but when i saw like xorg 1.11 i was like notta.  so if i install catalyst-hook or lets say catalyst-total (gives lib mesa 32 or something) for gaming driver i don't know.

I just want these panics to go away, nothing wrong with my system works fine, just these annoying panics every now and again u know..

can anyone give me a better step by step (if you don't mind) solution on the best fix for AMD Radeon HD 6450.  I repeat i don't regret getting amd radeon card and i won't switch back to windows ever again man lol.. just linux i want to resolve this issue and i won't stop until i find the perfect solution.  This is what linux is all about Keep it simple stupid ... don't avoid problems we are Linux not mac not windoz right.. ok we improve our kernel not avoid issues.. don't avoid issues, avoiding the issue is not unix principals right ? am I right tongue

ok sorry i'm just going nuts i won't stop until this is fix... thanks again for all the help

Cheers Gary

#2270 2012-03-29 13:06:56

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

Radioactiveman wrote:

By adding

[xorg111]
Server = http://catalyst.apocalypsus.net/repo/xorg111/$arch

above all repositories in /etc/pacman.conf
and running

# pacman -Syuu

you will downgrade Xorg to 1.11.
And no, it won't affect your system.

Thanks man you people been great :]

i'll give it a go, should i use the catalyst drivers instead, or the open source, i'm using open source drivers i got a amd radeon hd 6450 , should i use the catalyst instead ? ? ?

#2271 2012-03-29 13:12:19

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

ok this might sound stupid but how you downgrade to xorg 1.11 i mean i tried pacman -Syuu says system is update and detected the xorg 111 server? now how do i install it .. i might just do this in the AUR.. let me try something and i'll get back to my results

#2272 2012-03-29 13:24:06

phyte

If you add the xorg111 repository, it has to be above the other repositories (core, extra, community).

Then "pacman -Syuu" should work.

#2273 2012-03-29 13:28:37

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

phyte wrote:

If you add the xorg111 repository, it has to be above the other repositories (core, extra, community).

Then "pacman -Syuu" should work.

ok i'll try that i put it all the way at the button well thanks for that tip, i'll let yeah know what happens ok cheers man :]

#2274 2012-03-29 13:31:42

cyberpunkarch
Banned
Website

ok man that done the trick now do i install the catalyst drivers from aur like lets say umm catalyst-total or something ? ? ?

#2275 2012-03-29 13:35:00

phyte

Now you can install any catalyst package you want. I would suggest one like "catalyst-hook", that makes sure your catalyst driver "survives" kernel upgrades

Board footer