You are not logged in.

#451 2011-03-04 03:19:43

peacey

Re: gnome unstable repository

flamelab wrote:

I forgot. Every gtk2 app I run segfaults within GNOME 3 (they are OK for example when I run them in KDE)

~ $ firefox

(firefox-bin:7287): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(firefox-bin:7287): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_screen_get_default_colormap: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_screen_get_root_window: assertion `GDK_IS_SCREEN (screen)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed

Are you using the oxygen-gtk theme for gnome? I was getting the same errors as you while trying to run GTK apps in GNOME with the oxygen-gtk themes. I changed to Clearlooks now and everything is working perfect again.

#452 2011-03-04 08:14:09

flamelab

peacey wrote:
flamelab wrote:

I forgot. Every gtk2 app I run segfaults within GNOME 3 (they are OK for example when I run them in KDE)

~ $ firefox

(firefox-bin:7287): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(firefox-bin:7287): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_colormap_get_visual: assertion `GDK_IS_COLORMAP (colormap)' failed

(firefox-bin:7287): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_window_new: assertion `GDK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed

Are you using the oxygen-gtk theme for gnome? I was getting the same errors as you while trying to run GTK apps in GNOME with the oxygen-gtk themes. I changed to Clearlooks now and everything is working perfect again.

Ohhhh, you are right ! Yes, I do use oxygen-gtk!

#453 2011-03-04 08:29:50

peacey

flamelab wrote:

It must be an issue with oxygen-gtk then. It's a shame though, oxygen-gtk looks so nice sad

#454 2011-03-04 08:42:43

flamelab

peacey wrote:
flamelab wrote:

It must be an issue with oxygen-gtk then. It's a shame though, oxygen-gtk looks so nice sad

I know sad

#455 2011-03-04 12:05:21

Giselher
Website

I got gnome-shell working, but only if I start it as root.

This is the output when I try to start gnome-shell as user

Fensterverwalter-Warnung:Log level 16: Could not load applications usage data: Fehler beim Öffnen der Datei: Keine Berechtigung
      JS LOG: Cannot create "Network" item, .desktop file not found or corrupt.
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Keine Berechtigung
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = 'Error("Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Keine Berechtigung")@:0
("Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Keine Berechtigung")@gjs_throw:0
@:0
_loadExtensionsIn([object _private_GObject_GLocalFile],2)@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js:177
loadExtensions()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js:192
start()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:193
@<main>:1
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Keine Berechtigung'
Fensterverwalter-Warnung:Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Keine Berechtigung

#456 2011-03-04 12:32:29

flamelab

I would tell you to delete gnome3 settings, but I can't find them tongue

#457 2011-03-04 12:35:07

wonder
Developer
Website

@Giselher it would be cool when you ask for help to paste logs in english. I can't understand a thing

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#458 2011-03-04 12:59:17

Giselher
Website

wonder wrote:

@Giselher it would be cool when you ask for help to paste logs in english. I can't understand a thing

Sorry about that yikes, I completely forgot about that. I am a bit busy at the moment, but I will try to fix this asap.

#459 2011-03-05 01:32:50

nfm

I got GNOME3 to run, first experiences:
- Gnome Shell is very choppy when you point your cursor at the top left corner that shows you all of the open windows, this "maximization/minimization effect" is also very choppy when you zoom in on the clicked window. I'm using GTX 470 and 260.19.36 binary, other than it runs smooth.
- I can't change my fonts, they are huge, why won't they default to 8pt size instead of giant 11pt?!
- The icons that Gnome Shell uses are huge, I don't understand why they did that, might be useful for portable device with touch screen, but on a desktop is looks just silly.
- The way that Gnome Shell minimizes windows is silly also, it shows you selection of open windows, yet the scaling method that they used produces tiny, impossible to read / artifacted text within windows.

On a bright side, the theme is very pleasant.

#460 2011-03-05 07:25:27

Giselher
Website

So, here is the output in english, If I had any clue what I did wrong, but that message is not very helpful to me.

(mutter:2978): Clutter-DEBUG: Signal type minimize not supported

(mutter:2978): Clutter-DEBUG: Signal type maximize not supported

(mutter:2978): Clutter-DEBUG: Signal type restore not supported

Window manager warning: Log level 16: Could not load applications usage data: Error opening file: Permission denied
      JS LOG: Cannot create "Network" item, .desktop file not found or corrupt.
    JS ERROR: !!!   Exception was: Error: Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Permission denied
    JS ERROR: !!!     lineNumber = '0'
    JS ERROR: !!!     fileName = 'gjs_throw'
    JS ERROR: !!!     stack = 'Error("Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Permission denied")@:0
("Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Permission denied")@gjs_throw:0
@:0
_loadExtensionsIn([object _private_GObject_GLocalFile],2)@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js:177
loadExtensions()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/extensionSystem.js:192
start()@/usr/share/gnome-shell/js/ui/main.js:193
@<main>:1
'
    JS ERROR: !!!     message = 'Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Permission denied'
Window manager warning: Log level 32: Execution of main.js threw exception: Error: Error invoking Gio.enumerate_children: Permission denied

#461 2011-03-05 09:08:46

wonder
Developer
Website

nfm wrote:

I got GNOME3 to run, first experiences:
- Gnome Shell is very choppy when you point your cursor at the top left corner that shows you all of the open windows, this "maximization/minimization effect" is also very choppy when you zoom in on the clicked window. I'm using GTX 470 and 260.19.36 binary, other than it runs smooth.

nvidia problem and i don't know when they are going to fix. i switched temporarily to nouveau and the experience is much better.

- I can't change my fonts, they are huge, why won't they default to 8pt size instead of giant 11pt?!
- The icons that Gnome Shell uses are huge, I don't understand why they did that, might be useful for portable device with touch screen, but on a desktop is looks just silly..

i started a wiki about gnome 3 and added the info about changing fonts

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gnome_3

feel free to add any other information

#462 2011-03-05 09:09:44

wonder
Developer
Website

@Giselher try to use gdm. using startx while having ck-launch-session in there is kinda buggy and doesn't work every time.

#463 2011-03-05 10:44:44

Giselher
Website

wonder wrote:

@Giselher try to use gdm. using startx while having ck-launch-session in there is kinda buggy and doesn't work every time.

Doesn't work either, I can't login with anything gnome related if gnome-shell is installed. I have to remove gnome-shell to login with GNOME/openbox. If not gdm-binary crashes (I think).

#464 2011-03-05 14:12:10

Weegee

What's the best way to install GNOME 3 @ VirtualBox? I don't even want the GNOME shell to run (since I use jhbuild for this), I'd just like to try the new "fallback mode". Which packages do I need? Or is it enough to install the whole gnome group (and gnome-extra)?

~

#465 2011-03-05 20:18:06

tririver

Just to report: The update for networkmanager (0.8.995-2) conflicts with KDE plasma network manager in my laptop. The KDE network manager works again when I downgrade networkmanager to 0.8.3.997-1.

The new networkmanager seems doesn't work for gnome 3 either. I met some problem there, too. But I didn't try hard to get it work anyway.

#466 2011-03-05 20:20:45

wonder
Developer
Website

tririver wrote:

Just to report: The update for networkmanager (0.8.995-2) conflicts with KDE plasma network manager in my laptop. The KDE network manager works again when I downgrade networkmanager to 0.8.3.997-1.

it's kinda logically. networkmanager 0.8.995 (a.k.a 0.9 beta1) has a soname bump and that plasma package needs a rebuild.

The new networkmanager seems doesn't work for gnome 3 either. I met some problem there, too. But I didn't try hard to get it work anyway.

did you use it with network-manager-applet 0.8.995?

#467 2011-03-05 21:08:56

tririver

@wonder: yes, I did a upgrade of the system and used 0.8.995-3 of nm-applet. It fails to start with gnome 3 for me and when I run in a terminal it gives an error message. I can't find it now, it is something like .desktop. ...  (there are a lot of dots between words).

I am not on gnome 3 currently thus not testing that. Don't take it too seriously unless you think it may be a common error.

#468 2011-03-06 09:24:32

ttux

I finally got it all working! Thanks a lot for the hard work!

I still have 3 main issues:
- gnome doesn't see my sound card so I can't change my sound settings. I'm using alsa. My sound works though. I can use alsamixer but that'd be nice if I could use the sound applet. It says the following in the logs (gnome-control-center:5882): sound-cc-panel-WARNING **: Connection failed, reconnecting... Maybe a dependency I'm missing, a package I didn't update?

- more problematic, there is a lot of graphic distortion / garbage in windows that are not maximized so they are totally unreadable, sometimes they are alright but become distorted as soon as I move them. It happens as well in firefox address bar or any fields which opens a contextual menu. Anyone having the same issue?

- every so often, the screen does the same kind of effect as if you were demagnetizing a CRT screen.

I am using the fglrx driver (catalyst 11.2).

edit:
the demagnetizing effect is happening each time there is a notification at the bottom of the screen like music player indicating a change of song.

edit:
I am unable to edit the antialiasing value in dconf-editor (org.gnome.setting-daemon.plugins.xsettings) but I can edit dpi, priority, active or others in org.gnome.desktop.interface.
I needed to update dconf, I had 0.5.1-1 (from extra) instead of the one from gnome-unstable

edit:
taking screenshot is broken for me, there is only the desktop background visible on the screenshot.

edit:
here is what I mean by distorted menus: http://imgur.com/iV7Qn (sorry for the image quality but as I said I can't take screenshots)

edit:
I have now switched to the radeon driver. It took me sometime to get it to work as I'm compiling my own kernel. In case someone is in my case and has a r600 or r700 ati card, here are the kernel options:
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
CONFIG_DRM_TTM=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y

CONFIG_PREVENT_FIRMWARE_BUILD=y
CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL=y
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="radeon/CEDAR_me.bin radeon/CEDAR_pfp.bin radeon/CEDAR_rlc.bin radeon/CYPRESS_me.bin radeon/CYPRESS_pfp.bin radeon/CYPRESS_rlc.bin radeon/JUNIPER_me.bin radeon/JUNIPER_pfp.bin radeon/JUNIPER_rlc.bin radeon/R600_rlc.bin radeon/R700_rlc.bin radeon/REDWOOD_me.bin radeon/REDWOOD_pfp.bin radeon/REDWOOD_rlc.bin"
CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE_DIR="/lib/firmware"

Everything works fine with the open source driver, I can take screenshots, no more distorted textures and everything is smooth. The only thing remaining now is the sound applet / sound settings that doesn't work :-)

edit:
Sound problem sorted thanks to this post: http://arun.wordpress.com/2011/03/05/gn … con-theme/
Just need to install pulseaudio

Last edited by ttux (2011-03-06 17:44:16)

#469 2011-03-09 11:36:35

off220

I wonder where is it installed? is it systemwide and replaces "old" gnome files as it should and login is directly from gdm,  or just for one user(and we have to type gnome-shell --replace)?

Last edited by off220 (2011-03-09 11:37:23)

#470 2011-03-09 13:37:20

Zap

I tried gnome3, all works great, except for Evolution and Empathy that don't store passwords.

e-data-server-ui-Message: Unable to find password(s) in keyring (Keyring reports: No matching results)
** Message: secret service operation failed: Method "CreateItem" with signature "a{sv}(oayay)b" on interface "org.freedesktop.Secret.Collection" doesn't exist
(evolution:6031): e-data-server-ui-WARNING **: Unable to create password in keyring (Keyring reports: Error communicating with gnome-keyring-daemon)

I deleted .gnome* ,gconf* so it should be fine.
edit: Added avahi-daemon to rc.conf and now works.

Last edited by Zap (2011-03-09 14:24:44)

#471 2011-03-09 16:59:17

tririver

Update gnome-session 2.91.91.1-1 doesn't work well for me. I was forced into the fall-back mode (gnome classical desktop like 2.X). Downgrading to 2.91.91-1 solves the problem.

BTW, now gnome 3 works perfect for me. Here is a brief report of minor issues: (1) The system settings can not save the screen brightness, but when I disable the "video" module of the kernel, i.e. the brightness does not reset at startup, the brightness works fine. It's saved and one can tune it, too. (2) When shading a window, the text on the title bar is missing. I reported bug to upstream.

#472 2011-03-09 17:37:33

wonder
Developer
Website

tririver wrote:

Update gnome-session 2.91.91.1-1 doesn't work well for me. I was forced into the fall-back mode (gnome classical desktop like 2.X). Downgrading to 2.91.91-1 solves the problem.

fixed in 2.91.93-1

#473 2011-03-09 17:46:11

off220

installed it and it looks nice. the problem is that I boot into fallback gnome. i have to type gnome-shell --replace. Anyone knows  how to force logging into gnome-shell? and one more: I'd like to make the panel slim(I used to have 19 panel height with old gnome). Is there a way to do it?

#474 2011-03-09 17:51:45

wonder
Developer
Website

@off220 see my previous message

#475 2011-03-09 17:58:45

off220

wink I see now, thanx. Anyone knows working gtk theme and command to apply it?

Board footer