You are not logged in.

#501 2011-03-13 06:37:50

jolinfire

Re: gnome unstable repository

descendent87 wrote:

Are there x86_64 packages yet? Wouldn't mind trying this out

Of course, yes, There are x86_64 packages available. Both 32 and 64 bit versions are available.

#502 2011-03-13 06:42:08

jolinfire

wonder wrote:
jolinfire wrote:
combuster wrote:

I had troubles with conflicting gnome-themes and gnome-themes-standard, had to put gnome-themes on ignore while doing pacman -S gnome

I had this too.

I fixed that by using gnome-unstable/gnome and gnome-unstable/gnome-extra with pacman.

this is your problem. My doing that, pacman didn't install metacity, which is used as fallback mode. You won't be able to run gnome-shell under virtualbox .

As I don't want to break my setup, I tried a fedora 15 development liveCD, and tested it. I know it can't help reporting bug, but maybe you can answer me about a "feature" I saw.

As I use homemade builds of mozilla firefox (and store them in my own userspace), I noticed that I can put an homemade version in "favorite bar". But the problem is that, after I close the firefox window, I cannot open it anymore using favorite bar. Bug ? Feature ?

Thanks for your reply and your hard work !

#503 2011-03-13 06:43:26

bakerboy

Upgraded to Gnome 3 about 3 days ago.. Seems very stable on my system and I am loving it. Using Arch Linux 64 bit here. Just one minor bug - sometimes when you click on the apllications tab the applications are not listed. Thanks to the packagers for all their hard work.

#504 2011-03-13 10:21:45

Kernald

Hello,
I just upgraded to Gnome 3, and everything is running fine, excepted… Rhythmbox, which has not been upgraded. It complains about libwebkit not found.
Excepted that (not very important as I mainly use MPD/GMPC), everything is working like a charm, good work !

#505 2011-03-13 10:33:50

alexcriss

Kernald wrote:

Hello,
I just upgraded to Gnome 3, and everything is running fine, excepted… Rhythmbox, which has not been upgraded. It complains about libwebkit not found.
Excepted that (not very important as I mainly use MPD/GMPC), everything is working like a charm, good work !

Liferea is also broken. You have to recompile them for libwebkit3. More explicitly, recompiling liferea by using ABS and getting the PKGBUILD from testing works. However, Rhythmbox is still broken. AFAIK Rhythmbox 0.13.3 does not know the (new?) libgnome-media-profiles-3.0. I've compiled Rhythmbox from git and now it almost works. What is still broken for me is the ipod plugin, which fails to load libimobiledevice.so.1 since I have libimobiledevice.so.2. Have there been a soname bump? Those packages are there from the 2010 if I'm not wrong.

#506 2011-03-13 10:43:33

meijin

did some one was able to lunch vmware (workstation or player) from gnome 3 enverment (shell or fall-back mode)?
its quiting with no message.

Assaf

#507 2011-03-13 11:13:06

ttux

meijin wrote:

did some one was able to lunch vmware (workstation or player) from gnome 3 enverment (shell or fall-back mode)?
its quiting with no message.

Assaf

I didn't try vmware but virtualbox works fine.

#508 2011-03-13 15:33:56

Kernald

Thanks alexcriss, rhythmbox-git is working fine. But now, I've got two questions… First, I can't see how shut down or reboot my computer properly… I only have options to log out, switch user or suspend.
Secondly, my GDM has switched back to the old theme, for an unknown reason… How can I restore the new Gnome 3 theme on GDM ?
Thanks.

#509 2011-03-13 15:42:53

alexcriss

If you want a shut down, open up the status menu and press Alt. The suspend button will turn to power off. I've written an extension that adds that button to the status menu, instead of hiding it and requiring to press Alt. The extension has been modified and posted by in the extension repo, you can find it at git.gnome.org/gnome-shell-extensions. I'm still trying to work out how to add restart to that, it seems that modifications to gnome-session are required.

Unfortunately, I've no idea about GDM sad

#510 2011-03-13 15:50:38

Kernald

Thanks for the tip. I foud for GDM : I had the good idea to install some packages from gnome-extra, some of them replaced something related to at-spi… I removed them and re-ran pacman -S gnome, and now it's ok. I don't know exactly which package is in cause…

#511 2011-03-13 17:53:59

blasse

Hi, I've got one small problem with gnome3. There is no way to control sound. In sound applet there is no device. I was using gstreamer so far. Is pulse required or is any other way to get functional sound applet in gnome3?

Proud ex-maintainer of firefox-pgo

#512 2011-03-13 17:56:26

wonder
Developer
Website

blasse wrote:

Hi, I've got one small problem with gnome3. There is no way to control sound. In sound applet there is no device. I was using gstreamer so far. Is pulse required or is any other way to get functional sound applet in gnome3?

yes. pacman -S pulseaudio pulseaudio-alsa

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#513 2011-03-14 00:01:26

ptb

Hi, is it possible to change the gdm keyboard layout?
After I'm logged in changing the keyboard layout works fine. But is there a special structure to the Keyboard Layout list? Many entries have the same name.
Thanks

#514 2011-03-14 00:18:55

easyonthev

any plans to package gnome-shell-extensions?

EDIT: if such a thing exists, that is. I notice there's a git repo with a 2.91.91 release, but there doesn't seem to be release tarballs.

Last edited by easyonthev (2011-03-14 01:46:22)

#515 2011-03-14 06:22:35

jolinfire

ptb wrote:

After I'm logged in changing the keyboard layout works fine. But is there a special structure to the Keyboard Layout list? Many entries have the same name.
Thanks

As far as I saw, you can't change keyboard layout from gdm... A little annoying smile

#516 2011-03-14 08:33:10

alexcriss

easyonthev wrote:

any plans to package gnome-shell-extensions?

EDIT: if such a thing exists, that is. I notice there's a git repo with a 2.91.91 release, but there doesn't seem to be release tarballs.

That git repo is semi official and AFAIK doesn't have releases. Besides, if I am not mistaken, upstream recommends that distributions should *not* package it. At least this was brought up in the gnome-shell mailing list some time ago.

#517 2011-03-14 08:38:05

ptb

jolinfire wrote:
ptb wrote:

Thanks

As far as I saw, you can't change keyboard layout from gdm... A little annoying smile

It seems that it was dropped http://git.gnome.org/browse/gdm/commit/ … 312aa88051
Is it somehow possible to set the keyboard layout used by gdm?

#518 2011-03-14 08:41:41

wonder
Developer
Website

alexcriss wrote:
Kernald wrote:

Hello,

Liferea is also broken. You have to recompile them for libwebkit3.

just for future references. liferea is gtk2 and links to libwebkit. libwebkit3 is compiled against gtk3.

Rhythmbox is still broken. AFAIK Rhythmbox 0.13.3 does not know the (new?) libgnome-media-profiles-3.0. I've compiled Rhythmbox from git and now it almost works. What is still broken for me is the ipod plugin, which fails to load libimobiledevice.so.1 since I have libimobiledevice.so.2. Have there been a soname bump? Those packages are there from the 2010 if I'm not wrong.

rhythmbox doesn't link directly to libimobiledevice. is using libgpod and you need to rebuild it against new  libimobiledevice

Last edited by wonder (2011-03-14 08:42:19)

#519 2011-03-14 10:38:33

alexcriss

wonder wrote:
alexcriss wrote:
Kernald wrote:

Hello,

Liferea is also broken. You have to recompile them for libwebkit3.

just for future references. liferea is gtk2 and links to libwebkit. libwebkit3 is compiled against gtk3.

Rhythmbox is still broken. AFAIK Rhythmbox 0.13.3 does not know the (new?) libgnome-media-profiles-3.0. I've compiled Rhythmbox from git and now it almost works. What is still broken for me is the ipod plugin, which fails to load libimobiledevice.so.1 since I have libimobiledevice.so.2. Have there been a soname bump? Those packages are there from the 2010 if I'm not wrong.

rhythmbox doesn't link directly to libimobiledevice. is using libgpod and you need to rebuild it against new  libimobiledevice

Thanks wonder! I'm still quite new to package building and library linking. Sorry if I said some wrong stuff, and thanks for the corrections smile With liferea I wanted to say that it should be compiled with the new version of libwebkit 1.3.12, is this correct?

Now I see that my libimobiledevice comes from gnome-unstable! I was sure that both libimobiledevice and libgpod were left untouched, hence I though the problem was Rhythmbox. If I ahd noticed that I have upgraded the libimobiledevice I would have rebuilt libgpod. Stupid me.

I am sorry again for the noise, hope it wasn't too bad and again thanks wonder, your advices are always welcome smile

#520 2011-03-14 10:50:20

wonder
Developer
Website

@alexcriss not a problem buddy. I'm guilty too because i didn't say anything regarding gtk3 migration.

There are some libs that provide both gtk2 and gtk3 support, like in the case of libwebkit. For compatibility reasons, i did not touch the package name for libs compiled against gtk2. On the other hand, the ones that have gtk3 support have a "3" appended in the package name.

libwebkit->gtk2
libwebkit3->gtk3
vte->gtk2
vte3->gtk3

there are many others but the schema is the same.

#521 2011-03-14 11:18:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

wonder wrote:

@alexcriss not a problem buddy. I'm guilty too because i didn't say anything regarding gtk3 migration.

There are some libs that provide both gtk2 and gtk3 support, like in the case of libwebkit. For compatibility reasons, i did not touch the package name for libs compiled against gtk2. On the other hand, the ones that have gtk3 support have a "3" appended in the package name.

libwebkit->gtk2
libwebkit3->gtk3
vte->gtk2
vte3->gtk3

there are many others but the schema is the same.

Wouldn't you still have to change the names in future as gtk2 gets obsolete?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#522 2011-03-14 11:57:40

combuster
Website

It could easily become reverted:

libwebkit2->gtk2
libwebkit->gtk3

But the smart thing would be to wait untill majority of packages becomes ported to gtk3 and there are relatively few of them in the repos still depending on gtk2.

#523 2011-03-14 12:29:17

kane77

I upgraded to gnome-3 today and it seems nice and stable (so far)

I have couple of issues:

1) gnome-do does not have applications anymore (since I suppose it gets it from gnome menu), guess there's nothing to do about it util gnome-do guys fix this..
2) I am using dual screen setup and it bothers me that when the activities display (window list) is displayed it is shown on one screen (right one) but it does not prevent mouse to enter left display therefore if you want to display/switch workspaces you have to be careful to enter the narrow strip and not to go across to left monitor. Is there a setting for this somewhere?

#524 2011-03-14 14:34:48

wonder
Developer
Website

ngoonee wrote:
wonder wrote:

libwebkit->gtk2
libwebkit3->gtk3
vte->gtk2
vte3->gtk3

Wouldn't you still have to change the names in future as gtk2 gets obsolete?

when there are no packages depending on libwebkit then i would update it to gtk3 and add provides=libwebkit3 and drop libwebkit3 package.

combuster wrote:

It could easily become reverted:

libwebkit2->gtk2
libwebkit->gtk3

But the smart thing would be to wait untill majority of packages becomes ported to gtk3 and there are relatively few of them in the repos still depending on gtk2.

with this schema i'm suppose to rebuild gtk2 applications just to have the new dependency. It is an useless rebuild as it can be done easy with the above schema.

#525 2011-03-14 17:07:15

Kernald

kane77 wrote:

2) I am using dual screen setup and it bothers me that when the activities display (window list) is displayed it is shown on one screen (right one) but it does not prevent mouse to enter left display therefore if you want to display/switch workspaces you have to be careful to enter the narrow strip and not to go across to left monitor. Is there a setting for this somewhere?

I'm using a dual screen setup too, and have a similar problem : the Shell is on the right screen, making it hard to click on Activities. But, if you put the mouse on the left corner of the other screen, the Activities screen displays too. Or, you can use keyboard shortcuts : Meta key, or Alt + F1.

Board footer