You are not logged in.

#401 2010-10-21 05:00:07

anonymous_user

Re: zathura - a PDF viewer

neldoreth wrote:

No, the problem lies elsewhere: You would have to define those special keys in the config.h file in the gdk_keys array, where you map key words to these specific keys.

Best regards

Is zathura programmed to only use certain keys? I too would like to use the + and - in my keypad.

#402 2010-10-21 07:45:26

neldoreth

Hello,

firecat53 wrote:

just wondering if you were considering working on the Syntex capability at all? It would be a killer feature on an already awesome viewer!

What exactly do you mean?

anonymous_user wrote:

Is zathura programmed to only use certain keys? I too would like to use the + and - in my keypad.

Some special keys like for instance the arrow keys or page-up/page-down have to be defined in a special array in the config.h file: It maps a string (like <PageDown>) to the
correspondending key code. Normal ascii should work out of the box.

Best regards

pwmt.org : programs with movie titles

#403 2010-10-21 13:47:06

m0nhawk

The best pdf viewer I've ever seen.

Currently I have only one proposal -- viewing of djvu. Would it be possible or maybe can I try to make patch for djvu support?

#404 2010-10-21 13:50:46

neldoreth

Hello,

m0nhawk wrote:

The best pdf viewer I've ever seen.

Currently I have only one proposal -- viewing of djvu. Would it be possible or maybe can I try to make patch for djvu support?

Contact me in the IRC channel!

Best regards

#405 2010-10-21 16:01:05

firecat53
Website

neldoreth wrote:

Hello,

firecat53 wrote:

just wondering if you were considering working on the Syntex capability at all? It would be a killer feature on an already awesome viewer!

What exactly do you mean?

This post describes what I was referring to. Sorry -- I guess it was a couple of pages back in the thread smile
Here is another thread describing Synctex capabilities for pdf viewers.

Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by firecat53 (2010-10-21 16:05:08)

#406 2010-10-21 17:07:04

frabjous

firecat53 wrote:

This post describes what I was referring to. Sorry -- I guess it was a couple of pages back in the thread smile
Here is another thread describing Synctex capabilities for pdf viewers.

Thanks!
Scott

Thanks for bringing this up again. I was a bit disappointed that my post and request didn't get much response.

Besides the lack of direct support for synctex, another thing that keeps Zathura from being an ideal PDF viewer for LaTeX is the way it does auto-reloading. It's good that it auto-reloads when the PDF changes. The problem is that if the PDF is deleted, or becomes corrupted, Zathura's screen will go black and report an error. That much I don't mind. But it stops auto-reloading at that point. So if 10 seconds later, the PDF reappears in an uncorrupted form, Zathura won't load it automatically. The way evince and okular do auto-reloading doesn't create the same problem.

In the meantime, I've switched to mupdf as my LaTeX-ing PDF viewer. It doesn't support synctex either, but the kind of kludges I use in the script I posted earlier work better with it. It puts the active page number in the window title, so it can just be read directly with xdotool or wmctrl, rather than requiring it to be closed and re-opened. MuPDF doesn't auto-reload, but you can set up your LaTeX compilation script to use xdotool to send it an r key (for reload) whenever you have a successful LaTeX run.

Last edited by frabjous (2010-10-21 17:09:37)

#407 2010-10-23 18:39:20

medianmajik

I've just started using Zathura and Jumanji; great job!  Xpdf has been really bothering me and this is the perfect alternative.

One thing at a time

#408 2010-10-25 11:18:20

Strom

Thanks neldoreth for this great piece of sofware, very convenient!

One thing was bothering me though. When going from one page to another in non fullscreen mode, or when switching back to the workspace Zathura is open, Zathura's window is blinking (the window is briefly white). As I am using a dark background environment, it is a bit annoying. Here is was I add to my PKGBUILD to get rid of it:

sed -i '477igtk_widget_modify_bg(GTK_WIDGET(Zathura.UI.window), GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &(Zathura.Style.recolor_lightcolor));' zathura.c
sed -i '478igtk_widget_modify_bg(GTK_WIDGET(Zathura.UI.viewport), GTK_STATE_NORMAL, &(Zathura.Style.recolor_lightcolor));' zathura.c

Would it be possible to patch the source?

#409 2010-10-25 21:59:24

neldoreth

Hello,

Strom wrote:

Would it be possible to patch the source?

Done.

Thank you!

#410 2010-11-06 17:58:30

vanvalium

thanks for making this and jumanji, both pretty great
just one thing

... so I'll ask here instead: is there a way to enable continuous scrolling (i.e. no jump from the bottom of one page to the top of next, but pages flowing seamlessly into one another, like a scroll).

I really hope this will get done someday,
as it is the thing that really kills it for me depending on what I read

#411 2010-11-07 10:45:30

q0tsa

vanvalium wrote:

[...]

+1

#412 2010-11-13 07:33:12

jsgt

q0tsa wrote:
vanvalium wrote:

[...]

+1

I agree. It's the one thing that keeps me from using Zathura for everything.

#413 2010-11-13 18:42:33

Army

jsgt wrote:
q0tsa wrote:
vanvalium wrote:

[...]

+1

I agree. It's the one thing that keeps me from using Zathura for everything.

For those of you who want this feature in a lightweight pdf viewer, take a look at llpp-git in the AUR. It's based on mupdf, which means it's fast as hell! The PKGBUILD is a mess imho (I'll put a better version into the comments), but the reader is pretty good! It (as always) still lacks some things, but I really like it. I'll stay with pure mupdf, but this thing might become my first choice, until zathura finally switches to mupdf.
edit: mupdf itself doesn't have continuous scrolling, but the way it handles this is also pretty nice. You can scroll a page up and down until you reach the top or bottom using the arrow keys or - vi style - j and k. In order to get to the next page, you press "page down". Then you are automatically on the top of the next page. If you are on the top of a page and want to go to the previous page, you press "page up" and you are automatically on the bottom of the previous page. Imho this is the best way to handle jumping from page to page when continuous scrolling isn't available.

Last edited by Army (2010-11-13 18:52:44)

#414 2010-11-13 18:44:48

neldoreth

Hello,

Army wrote:

until zathura finally switches to mupdf.

It will and zathura is under development right now (check the girara branch :-)), because poppler is annoying like hell

Best regards

Last edited by neldoreth (2010-11-13 18:45:04)

#415 2010-11-13 18:53:46

Army

COOL!!!!! I will!!!! Thanks for the info!!!

When it comes to pure USAGE of a pdf viewer, zathura is still my favorite, so this is really good news!

#416 2010-11-13 20:45:22

skottish
Forum Fellow

neldoreth wrote:

Hello,

Army wrote:

until zathura finally switches to mupdf.

It will and zathura is under development right now (check the girara branch :-)), because poppler is annoying like hell

Best regards

HOLY CRAP! HURRAY! WHOO HOO! YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by skottish (2010-11-13 20:46:20)

#417 2010-11-14 17:30:01

mhertz

Fantastic news!

On a sidenote, then I just don't understand why the need to change zathura and jumanji's gtk GUI out with an extra giara dependency, instead of just keeping the fine and allready in place standard gtk2 code.

Not complaining, though - I much appreciate your great contributions!

#418 2010-11-14 18:47:17

Army

Is this branch already compilable? I'd like to give it a try and follow the development. But I don't really know git and I can't figure out how to get to this branch ... sad Could someone please give me a hint how to compile zathura with mupdf?

Last edited by Army (2010-11-14 18:47:40)

#419 2010-11-14 19:05:52

neldoreth

Hello,

Army wrote:

Is this branch already compilable? I'd like to give it a try and follow the development. But I don't really know git and I can't figure out how to get to this branch ... sad Could someone please give me a hint how to compile zathura with mupdf?

No, its far from finished wink

mhertz wrote:

On a sidenote, then I just don't understand why the need to change zathura and jumanji's gtk GUI out with an extra giara dependency, instead of just keeping the fine and allready in place standard gtk2 code.

That's the only disadvantage, on the otherside it makes this part easier to maintain (for zathura and jumanji) and easier to use (whole new interface - and other projects could use it too (like luakit)).

BR

Last edited by neldoreth (2010-11-14 19:12:39)

#420 2010-11-17 01:15:27

vanvalium

Army wrote:

For those of you who want this feature in a lightweight pdf viewer, take a look at llpp-git in the AUR. It's based on mupdf, which means it's fast as hell! The PKGBUILD is a mess imho (I'll put a better version into the comments), but the reader is pretty good! It (as always) still lacks some things, but I really like it.

The PKGBUILD really is messy, and I don't want to install the unneeded dependencies
I'm gonna stay with apvlv/zathura for now, mupdf is nice though, will be awesome when zathura switches to it

#421 2010-11-21 12:44:04

neldoreth

Hello,

Since zathura is under heavy development now (to support multiple file formats and using girara for the interface) a new version with the latest patches for the current master branch has been released.

Changelog:

* Wrap around scrolling
* Display scroll percentage in statusbar
* More familiar zoom key bindings
* Support reading files from stdin
* Open command with appended current file path
* Following XDG specification
* Colored window and view port
* File reloading fix
* Fixed several memory leaks
* Updated man page
* Updated Makefile

Best regards

#422 2010-12-02 07:29:21

hatten
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

I couldn't find this on the wiki: Which colors are available for set recolor_dark/lightcolor in .config/zathura/zathurarc? I tried teal but that wasn't available sad Going with white until I know what I can choose from.

#423 2010-12-02 16:28:40

neldoreth

Hello

hatten wrote:

I couldn't find this on the wiki: Which colors are available for set recolor_dark/lightcolor in .config/zathura/zathurarc? I tried teal but that wasn't available sad Going with white until I know what I can choose from.

recolor_darkcolor and recolor_lightcolor: You can use names like green/blue etc or color codes like #123ABC

Best regards

Last edited by neldoreth (2010-12-02 16:29:04)

#424 2010-12-04 22:24:27

LuX

Hello Neldoreth,

neldoreth wrote:

* Open command with appended current file path

I suppose that you are talking about the 'O' command in 0.0.8.2-1, is that right? The description of the man page (at least in Arch) seems to be out of date for this command:

$ man zathura | grep ' O '
       O      Change goto mode (L: search labels, D: default, O: manual offset)

I'm quite happy with this new command, which seems to be a minimalistic but sufficient answer to one of my own feature requests. May I suggest anyway that it would be more convenient if only the path of the directory of the current file is appended, but not the file name itself? Indeed, it happens quite often that one has to open another file in the same directory as the current one, but it never happens that it is the current file itself!

Thanks,
LuX.

Last edited by LuX (2010-12-05 20:58:49)

#425 2010-12-29 19:36:10

cbrunos

Hello everyone, one simple question is there a way to save a copy of a pdf file I opened by clicking on a link? For example, I click on a link someone sent me, and open directly the pdf document in zathura. If I want to keep it, how do I do? :wq doesn't work…

Xmonad gets sh*t done. Fast.

Board footer