You are not logged in.

#51 2009-09-27 16:32:13

s26c.sayan
Website

Re: zathura - a PDF viewer

Looks quite like apvlv (my fav pdf viewer) indeed; both are very nice.

March Linux : An Arch Linux "distrolet" that I am trying to develop (March = My Arch!)
Please take a look......:)

#52 2009-09-29 06:43:18

Berticus

Doesn't seem to open any pdf files. I've tried the following commands:

:open Beginning\ Perl.pdf
:open "Beginning Perl.pdf"
:open ~/Beginning\ Perl.pdf
:open ~/Beginning Perl.pdf
:open /home/berticus/Beginning\ Perl.pdf
:open /home/berticus/Beginning Perl.pdf

I also tried opening through the terminal:

zathura "Beginning Perl.pdf"

In all cases it tells me the file does not exists (in the terinal I hit tab for the completion, so I know it exists).

Running 64-bit, installed with yaourt without editing the PKGBUILD.

Also does zathura have "bookmarks?" I used to be quite against them thinking they were simply bloat. However, after using smplayer for a bit, and having it start where I left off for a particular file, the feature has grown on me.

#53 2009-09-29 09:44:20

aev-
Website

I've written a(n ugly) patch for this. For some reasons (which, due to time limitations, I don't want to investigate) the inputbar will display weird characters.

#54 2009-10-01 12:55:18

PeteMo
Website

I frequently use the page-set={even,odd} lp option to manually print two sided.  I wrote a patch that I feel improves printing support by exposing more of the lp options, but I can't find Neldoreth's contact info.  If you see this you can send me an email through the bbs if you're interested.

#55 2009-10-01 13:38:48

brisbin33
Website

PeteMo wrote:

I frequently use the page-set={even,odd} lp option to manually print two sided.  I wrote a patch that I feel improves printing support by exposing more of the lp options, but I can't find Neldoreth's contact info.  If you see this you can send me an email through the bbs if you're interested.

i'd love to be able to explicitly declare the entire print command itself in config.h.  i typically use enscript -p - $file | psselect -r | lp to print in reverse page order to the default printer.

#56 2009-10-02 07:36:50

Berticus

While I can now open files via the terminal, I still can't do it through the prompt in zathura. Also, is there a way to perform tab completion?

Last edited by Berticus (2009-10-02 07:37:09)

#57 2009-10-02 14:25:34

PeteMo
Website

brisbin33 wrote:

i'd love to be able to explicitly declare the entire print command itself in config.h.  i typically use enscript -p - $file | psselect -r | lp to print in reverse page order to the default printer.

What I've done allows you to specify the entire lp command string when printing.  Basically, whatever you type in the print dialog is passed to lp.  There is no need to anything printer related in config.h  It would be easy to modify to allow arbitrary commands to be run but that opens up even more security concerns than my change.

#58 2009-10-07 17:29:19

neldoreth

Hello there,
Thanks for all the constructive feedback. I have to admit that I had absolutly no time for postings or in the further development of zathura in the last weeks,
but I hope I have more time now to continue this project.

In addition the server has some tremendous problems right now and is currently not available, but this should be fixed soon. Besides there will be an irc
channel and an email adress for contact (and patches, etc) reasons.

edit: the server is up and running again

Best regards

Last edited by neldoreth (2009-10-08 09:02:57)

pwmt.org : programs with movie titles

#59 2009-10-14 06:24:39

SpeedVin

neldoreth wrote:

Hello there,
Thanks for all the constructive feedback. I have to admit that I had absolutly no time for postings or in the further development of zathura in the last weeks,
but I hope I have more time now to continue this project.

In addition the server has some tremendous problems right now and is currently not available, but this should be fixed soon. Besides there will be an irc
channel and an email adress for contact (and patches, etc) reasons.

edit: the server is up and running again

Best regards

Hello.
For me the website of Zathura is still unavalible (I got wait message) wink

Shell Scripter | C/C++/Python/Java Coder | ZSH

#60 2009-10-14 21:47:10

jt512

...never mind...

Last edited by jt512 (2009-10-14 21:55:03)

#61 2009-10-14 22:36:37

neldoreth

Hello there,

The whole zathura project is moving to pwmt.org and is now available under zathura.pwmt.org: You will find a part of the project description and the source of the first version there for download; but there are still some things missing. Since we had bad luck with domain provider the website still has some problems, which should be fixed in the next one or two weeks.

Best regards

#62 2009-10-23 13:43:03

sykora
Website

Hello all.

I found zathura yesterday after switching to Archlinux the day before, and started hacking on it a bit today.

My changes are at my github, http://github.com/sykora/zathura/ .

Stuff that I've managed to finish:

* Centering of the PDF within the window, if it is larger than the window. Works both horizontally and vertically.
* Fixed the issue with auto-adjusting the zoom when the page was rotated. Should work properly now.
* Implemented a kind of hacky pseudo-continuous mode. Basically, if you scroll off the end of the page (using page_up/down, movement keys, etc), then it will go to the next page. This behavior is almost identical to that of xpdf. Pages wrap around as before.

Please test if you can, there are probably a ton of bugs that I haven't discovered, especially regressions. I started out the day with zero knowledge of cairo, poppler and GTK.

Since Nelderoth is pretty busy right now, you can report bugs either here, or at the bug tracker at github. When he gets the time, he'll set up a bug tracker or something.

The foremost known issue is that you can't disable any of the features I've built in, because I suck at that. I'm working on it, but until then if you want any of the features, you'll get all of them.

PS: This is my first post at bbs.archlinux.org!

#63 2009-10-23 19:15:20

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

sykora wrote:

Hello all.
I found zathura yesterday after switching to Archlinux the day before, and started hacking on it a bit today.
(..)
PS: This is my first post at bbs.archlinux.org!

welcome. no better way to introduce yourself then this. enjoy your stay cool

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#64 2009-10-27 14:40:58

Ogion

Really nice program. I think this will become my new pdf reader of choice. (Wow, this thing is a lot faster than evince. Like, when i hold down the next-page key-combination, in zathura it just races through the pages and actually displays them all for a fraction of a second. Evince after 6 or so pages only has the white page plus "Load" because it isn't fast enough with rendering.)
The only keybinding i changed so far was make ctrl-f and ctrl-b to ctrl-j for next page (as j is 'down' ctrl-j for my taste should be 'next page) and ctrl-k for previous page. I'll prolly change some more keys as i further get to now and use the program.
Oh and kudos for the nice config.h I don't see a config where changing the key combination is that easy oftenly.

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#65 2009-10-28 17:01:26

lpb612

I think zathura has a lot of potentials. I have tested it a little. So far, the following does not work:

1. The window size cannot be changed. This also prevents the command line (bottom line) to be shown when the initial window height is higher than the screen size.

2. Full screen does not work (in gnome at least).

3. I would like to request the capability of reading a config file (.zathurarc would be fine). I understand it is quick and cool to config the whole thing through config.h. But having the rc file without recompiling will allow

- easier configuration
    - compilation independent configuration. So that when the zathura is updated (say through git pull), the config information is not lost.

4. How to go back/forward a few pages?

Overall, I think it is a neat package that has great potentials. However, right now it is not usable (due to 1 and 2 above). So I will stick to apvlv for now.

#66 2009-10-28 17:22:32

ilembitov

I have visited your site (pwmt.org) - looks like you've also got that Vertigo download manager. Why haven't you guys presented it here yet? I think, lot's of folks here would be interested, especially since it's meant to be used with surf & uzbl (and lots of people use those here). And what is Jumanji?)

#67 2009-10-28 18:13:32

SamC
Website

Have a look here

#68 2009-10-28 22:19:16

aev-
Website

ilembitov wrote:

I have visited your site (pwmt.org) - looks like you've also got that Vertigo download manager. Why haven't you guys presented it here yet? I think, lot's of folks here would be interested, especially since it's meant to be used with surf & uzbl (and lots of people use those here). And what is Jumanji?)

I did, I wanted to get it out of the door before the semester starts again. Unfortunately it is barely useful at the very moment. I can't wait for the next breaks so I can resume work. :)

#69 2009-10-28 22:51:57

Ogion

lpb612 wrote:

I think zathura has a lot of potentials. I have tested it a little. So far, the following does not work:

1. The window size cannot be changed. This also prevents the command line (bottom line) to be shown when the initial window height is higher than the screen size.

3. I would like to request the capability of reading a config file (.zathurarc would be fine). I understand it is quick and cool to config the whole thing through config.h. But having the rc file without recompiling will allow

- easier configuration
    - compilation independent configuration. So that when the zathura is updated (say through git pull), the config information is not lost.

Overall, I think it is a neat package that has great potentials. However, right now it is not usable (due to 1 and 2 above). So I will stick to apvlv for now.

Did you remember to set:
/* additional settings */
#define SHOW_SCROLLBARS    1
and not 0? I needed to do this as i use Openbox and not a tiling wm. With scrollbars you cna change the Window Size and you cna then just scroll the pdf around in the window.

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#70 2009-10-29 19:09:15

skottish
Forum Fellow

sykora wrote:

Hello all.

My changes are at my github, http://github.com/sykora/zathura/ .

Stuff that I've managed to finish:

... snip ...

Welcome to the forums. I hope you didn't go away already.

I like your add-ons to zathrua. Maybe you and neldoreth can collaborate to keep the program growing.

#71 2009-10-29 23:34:38

neldoreth

Hello,

First I want to thank sykora for his effort and his patches, which I have applied to the git repository. I think implementing the "continious pages" in that way is maybe much better and much more effective than the known ones, because the program just has to render one page at a time. Otherwise you would start to re-rendering all pages if e.g. the scale value has been changed or you would have to start calculating which part of the pages are visible at the moment and so on.

Since I am not using Gnome: Can you explain in a more detailed way, why the window size cannot be changed and why the full screen mode (which should "work", since I can resize the window) does not work? But anyway I know that there are a lot of things that has to be changed in zathura concerning the window itself and the scrollbars.

^F or ^B or :goto <number> (check the config.h and the man page) - But I want to improve that in the next versions.

Like aev- said, we have so much to do for university that we have barely time for our projects, which should change hopefully soon. And jumanji... is a secret wink

Best regards

#72 2009-10-30 00:01:02

jt512

neldoreth wrote:

^F or ^B or :goto <number> (check the config.h and the man page) - But I want to improve that in the next versions.

Going forward and backward one page is such a common task while viewing a pdf that it would be nice if those keyboard shortcut for those functions did not require a mod-key.

Also, TAB completion for directories and filenames is important.  It's impractical to type out the whole /paths/to/file.pdf when opening a file.

Jay

#73 2009-10-30 00:08:23

Barrucadu
Website

jt512 wrote:

Going forward and backward one page is such a common task while viewing a pdf that it would be nice if those keyboard shortcut for those functions did not require a mod-key.

That's what config.h is for smile

#74 2009-10-30 00:52:59

jt512

Barrucadu wrote:
jt512 wrote:

That's what config.h is for smile

I know I can remap it.  My point is that it is a poor choice for a default.

Jay

#75 2009-10-30 04:08:26

lpb612

Ogion wrote:

Did you remember to set:
/* additional settings */
#define SHOW_SCROLLBARS    1
and not 0? I needed to do this as i use Openbox and not a tiling wm. With scrollbars you cna change the Window Size and you cna then just scroll the pdf around in the window.

Ogion

I tried your suggestion this afternoon, it did not work. And tonight, not giving up on this neat program, I tried again. Somehow it worked. I don't like the scroll bar, but that is better than not being able to resize window, zoom, scroll, and switch to full screen. So now the program is quite usable.

Thanks for the tip. If the scroll bar can be toggled at run time, it would be good.

lpb612

Board footer