You are not logged in.

#101 2010-01-27 18:04:02

raymboard

Re: zathura - a PDF viewer

OK, I installed it and I can zoom out but I can't zoom in.

Linux is not an operating system it's a kernel. You're using GNU/Linux. http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

#102 2010-01-27 18:08:23

barzam

Did you try:
man zathura

#103 2010-01-27 19:05:32

raymboard

yes

Linux is not an operating system it's a kernel. You're using GNU/Linux. http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

#104 2010-01-27 19:40:02

milomouse
Website

Make sure you're using the "pdf" branch.

#105 2010-01-27 20:03:57

raymboard

I got the zathura-git package from the AUR.

#106 2010-01-27 20:15:40

jt512

raymboard wrote:

I got the zathura-git package from the AUR.

If you want to install the pdf branch, edit the PKGBUILD and insert the line "git checkout pdf" after the line "cd $_gitname".  Start with a clean build directory and run "makepkg -s" again.

Jay

#107 2010-01-27 20:27:55

milomouse
Website

Edit: Yeah, sorry. Just do what Jay said.
Edit 2: @Jay: Yeah, I didn't do that right. I realized that immediately after posting it.

Last edited by milomouse (2010-01-27 20:37:32)

#108 2010-01-27 20:35:46

jt512

milomouse wrote:
# Maintainer: Michael Walker <mike@barrucadu.co.uk>

pkgname=zathura-git
pkgver=20100127
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="a pdf viewer"
arch=('i686' 'x86_64')
url="http://zathura.neldoreth.net"
license=('custom')
depends=('poppler-glib>=0.10' 'gtk2>=2.16' 'cairo<=1.8.8')
makedepends=('git')

conflicts=('zathura')
replaces=('zathura')
provides=('zathura')

_gitroot='git://neldoreth.net/zathura.git'
_gitname='zathura'

build() {
  cd $srcdir

msg "Retrieving current revision."

if [ -d $startdir/src/$_gitname ] ; then
    cd $_gitname && git pull origin
    msg "The local files are updated."
  else
    git clone $_gitroot
    cd $_gitname
    git checkout pdf
    git clone $_gitroot [****]
    rm -rdf $_gitname [****]
  fi  

make

install -D -m775 zathura   "$pkgdir/usr/bin/zathura"
  install -D -m664 zathura.1 "$pkgdir/usr/share/man/man1/zathura.1"
  install -D -m664 LICENSE   "$pkgdir/usr/share/licenses/$pkgname/LICENSE"
}

If I don't remove previous zathura directory it will try to build it, unless I'm putting it in the wrong place? Anyway, this probably isn't the best way to do it but that's how I got it to work when I did it. I'm not so crafty with the git.

I don't know why you've got the two lines that I've starred in your PKGBUILD.  I don't know much about git, but your second 'git clone' line might negate the 'git checkout pdf' command above it.

Jay

#109 2010-01-27 20:42:00

raymboard

OK, I did what milomouse said and it worked.

Thanks.

#110 2010-01-27 20:43:30

milomouse
Website

Well it works but it's not "clean". You just need to use

else
    git clone $_gitroot
    cd $_gitname
    git checkout pdf
fi

Without the extra git clone.

#111 2010-01-27 20:47:20

raymboard

Your picture is funny: do you have a 1440 x 900 version?

#112 2010-01-27 20:50:33

milomouse
Website

raymboard wrote:

Your picture is funny: do you have a 1440 x 900 version?

Off topic: http://media.photobucket.com/image/tale … eaux03.jpg

On topic: Sorry for all the static. Glad everyone's on track with the pdf branch.

#113 2010-01-27 21:59:53

neldoreth

Hello,

milomouse wrote:

I want to say that the changes you've made are fantastic. Even the defaults are what I tried to accomplish/change in the old config. Very nice. Although I've only been messing with it for about 20 minutes I wanted to spot out of a few things I've noticed.

First of all thank you for testing and for your comments.

milomouse wrote:

1 ] One thing I've noticed is that when you start typing, say.. "ffff", it stays there, so when I press "G" it's "ffffG". I know it's waiting until it hits a found binding but if there's no binding for "f, ff, fff, ffff, etc" defined in the config I wonder if it would automatically clear/ESC. Like I have a binding for "fb" and I type "f" it would stay there but when I type "o" (making it "fo") it should clear since there's no binding starting with "fo". Just my opinion, may not be realistic.

The problem would be the following: Right now it matches on regular expressions so that strings like "25G" "29252G" can be used and detected easily. When I allow to match "asd25G" the parsing of the string gets much more complex and the other problem is that I can not differ between the following: Imaging the input "f" - If I define commands like "ff" and "f25G" I would say that "f" does not match: when I clear the input now, I will never be able to execute the "f25G" command, so this would make the evaluation of the input much more complex.

milomouse wrote:

2 ] Also, unless I'm missing something how do you backspace a character? I have to ESC the whole line if I want to remove a letter. It may be in the config so forgive me if I overlooked it. I'm still testing things out.

No, there is no such functionality yet. With the current configuration you have to press "ESC" to clear the buffer. But I will add this.

milomouse wrote:

3 ] Continuous scrolling option? I may have also overlooked this too. As of right now when I have it zoomed in larger than the window and I scroll down to the bottom it stops, so I hit "shift+j" and it goes to the next page but it starts at the bottom of it.

Right now the old continious scrolling option is not in this branch - I wanted to implement real continious pages, but had, like I wrote in a previous post, problems with some segmentation faults in gtk/glib/cairo or received a x window system error, but mainly on the re-rendering (and so with the searching) - Have you tried the search function a bit? Does it segfault at your place too, I guess so.

milomouse wrote:

4 ] This isn't necessary but I was wondering if there could be a ":help" command to show bindings. This may be difficult to implement, I don't know much about how it would grab the values as I'm not really familiar with C but this may be something for a stable release sometime on.

I dont know if i want to implement this and if this is really necessary, since you have a manpage and if you change the configuration I am pretty sure that most of the time you will use the computer on your own.

milomouse wrote:

5 ] When I type :set revertvideo it segfaults. Here's the message I get (also tested on other pdfs)

Thanks, I will check on that - I never really tested the set function, but you should be able to use the reverse video functionality with ^i.

Best regards

pwmt.org : programs with movie titles

#114 2010-01-27 22:10:28

jt512

neldoreth wrote:

Please let me know, what you think about the pdf branch ("git checkout pdf").

The keyboard shortcuts 'a' and 's' for adjusting window size do not work.  Additionally, a useful feature would be a command to adjust the zoom to a specified percentage.  Something like '150Z' analogous to '25G' for jumping to a specified page.

Jay

#115 2010-01-28 13:16:00

neldoreth

Hello,

jt512 wrote:

The keyboard shortcuts 'a' and 's' for adjusting window size do not work.  Additionally, a useful feature would be a command to adjust the zoom to a specified percentage.  Something like '150Z' analogous to '25G' for jumping to a specified page.

I added those function and they are now in the pdf branch.

Best regards

#116 2010-01-28 13:48:28

milomouse
Website

neldoreth wrote:

The problem would be the following: Right now it matches on regular expressions so that strings like "25G" "29252G" can be used and detected easily. When I allow to match "asd25G" the parsing of the string gets much more complex and the other problem is that I can not differ between the following: Imaging the input "f" - If I define commands like "ff" and "f25G" I would say that "f" does not match: when I clear the input now, I will never be able to execute the "f25G" command, so this would make the evaluation of the input much more complex.

Ok, this makes sense. I can see how this could get complicated.

neldoreth wrote:

Right now the old continious scrolling option is not in this branch - I wanted to implement real continious pages, but had, like I wrote in a previous post, problems with some segmentation faults in gtk/glib/cairo or received a x window system error, but mainly on the re-rendering (and so with the searching) - Have you tried the search function a bit? Does it segfault at your place too, I guess so.

Whenever I press shift + / ,as I see in the config, the question mark will appear and I type "ghc" it will go to the first ghc, but trying to get it to search further won't yield any results because it doesn't seem to search outside of that single page. This is fine and probably intentional. I noticed though I could only get the single forward slash to segfault every now and then, say when I press shift + / and backspace the question mark and then put a forward slash followed by [usually] any two characters and the whole program will freeze up or segfault. I can't get it to do this every time though but when it does it segfaults with:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fffe3ff7710 (LWP 3941)]
0x00007ffff58e0ff8 in g_object_newv () from /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0
neldoreth wrote:

I dont know if i want to implement this and if this is really necessary, since you have a manpage and if you change the configuration I am pretty sure that most of the time you will use the computer on your own.

On second thought; agreed.

neldoreth wrote:

Thanks, I will check on that - I never really tested the set function, but you should be able to use the reverse video functionality with ^i.

Allright, thanks. So far I haven't run into anything else I can think of at the moment. smile

#117 2010-01-28 23:28:14

neldoreth

Hello,

milomouse wrote:

Whenever I press shift + / ,as I see in the config, the question mark will appear and I type "ghc" it will go to the first ghc, but trying to get it to search further won't yield any results because it doesn't seem to search outside of that single page. This is fine and probably intentional.

I have fixed that, I accidentally began the search on the current page.

milomouse wrote:

I noticed though I could only get the single forward slash to segfault every now and then, say when I press shift + / and backspace the question mark and then put a forward slash followed by [usually] any two characters and the whole program will freeze up or segfault. I can't get it to do this every time though but when it does it segfaults with:

Yes, it happens "randomly" and I the segmentation fault happens for example in the glib or sometimes in cairo, because poppler delivers a null pointer to a function. Since sometimes the x window system sends an error, I guess I will have to implement a render queue.

Best regards

#118 2010-01-29 12:46:37

neldoreth

Hello,

I have added a field that shows the current percentage of the scrolled window and I have added a buffered command that let you jump for example to the vertical center of the page with "50%" or to one quarter ("25%") or to every position between 0 and 100% you want.

milomouse wrote:

2 ] Also, unless I'm missing something how do you backspace a character? I have to ESC the whole line if I want to remove a letter. It may be in the config so forgive me if I overlooked it. I'm still testing things out.

It is now possible to delete the latest character in the buffer by using the backspace key.

milomouse wrote:

5 ] When I type :set revertvideo it segfaults.

This also has been fixed.

Best regards

#119 2010-01-29 20:57:54

myrkiada

This may have been suggested here before, but what I'd really like to see is some sort of bookmark function. I read a lot of pdf's, and keeping track of where I'm at in each and every book can really become a pain in the ass. Evince (and probably others) do make it a bit easier, at least it remembers which page I was at when it last closed, but still, I have yet to find a pdf viewer with good bookmark support.

Scenario: I read a pdf and on page X there is some kind of table/graph/whatever that I'd like to have easy access to, so I write down the page numbers on a piece of paper as I read.. the paper then disappears (don't they always?), and I have to scroll trough the entire book to find out what page contains the table/graph/whatever I'm looking for. I have yet to find a pdf viewer for *nix that let's me add my own bookmarks (and preferrebly naming them myself, like "graph-X","graph-Y", etc).

So, what I'm thinking.. zathura opens a pdf file, a temporary text file (or whatever) is created that keeps track of the current page, zathura closes, I open same pdf, it says "oh, I have a text file with the same name as pdf, and it tells me I'm on page 52" and then it takes me to the page I was last reading. The same file, maby some sort of xml or something would also keep my personal bookmarks per pdf. I find a page I like, type ":bookmark" and it prompts me for a name..   Just an idea, dunno how doable it is..

Other than that I really love zathura, combined with xmonad it makes reading look sexy. big_smile

Last edited by myrkiada (2010-01-29 21:02:28)

My Configs @ Github

#120 2010-01-31 20:38:27

neldoreth

Hello,

myrkiada wrote:

This may have been suggested here before, but what I'd really like to see is some sort of bookmark function. I read a lot of pdf's, and keeping track of where I'm at in each and every book can really become a pain in the ass. Evince (and probably others) do make it a bit easier, at least it remembers which page I was at when it last closed, but still, I have yet to find a pdf viewer with good bookmark support.

I may have something for you: I have added marker and bookmark support to zathura - Now it is possible to use markers like everyone knows from vim and it is possible to define bookmarks for each file. Additionally zathura reminds the page you had opened before closing the program. It works in the following way:

Markers
It is possible to define markers with the the identifier "m" followed by a key that will save the current page in a register. For example: "ma" will save the current page in the register a. You can directly jump back to this page by typing "'" followed by the key: "'a". If you type "''" you can jump back between the latest marker and the current page.