You are not logged in.

#26 2009-10-04 15:08:38

Szelek

Re: Plymouth is working! How to have a great splash in your box

I have installed plymouth-git from the AUR, edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/mkinitcpio.conf but plymouth doesn't work. During the start there are some graphic glitches, system starts with no problem but there is no plymouth splash. I have ATI Radeon 7500 mobility (I know, I know, it's pretty old smile even though) Is it possible to enable KMS for this graphic card?

#27 2009-10-04 17:45:43

Heller_Barde

Szelek wrote:

I have installed plymouth-git from the AUR, edited /boot/grub/menu.lst and /etc/mkinitcpio.conf but plymouth doesn't work. During the start there are some graphic glitches, system starts with no problem but there is no plymouth splash. I have ATI Radeon 7500 mobility (I know, I know, it's pretty old smile even though) Is it possible to enable KMS for this graphic card?

try a normal framebuffer:

add

vga=<something>

to your kernel line in your bootloader config.

cheers
Barde

#28 2009-10-04 17:48:52

flamelab

Szelek wrote:

You need kernel26 2.6.31, built with CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y in order to have KMS.

As well as xf86-video-ati-git, libdrm-git, mesa-git.

#29 2009-10-04 18:00:55

drf

@jarryson: Thanks, added and pushed your fixes, except for the rc.shutdown one. Can you please expand on what it exactly does, and if I should put it inside or outside stat_busy? (I'm by no means an initscripts/package guru) Also, to start up plymouth in shutdown mode the X server must be already dead: is this condition granted with your modification?

Then a small cry for help: I'd need to know where (on the initial ramdisk) the root filesystem gets mounted, to take advantages of some features in plymouth. Initscripts guru are very welcome smile

#30 2009-10-04 18:03:12

KlavKalashj

jarryson wrote:

no, at the end of plymouth.funtion file.

and delete "Sending SIGTERM To Processes" case

I don't really understand. Could you post the entire file?

#31 2009-10-05 09:08:34

PirateJonno
Forum Fellow

@drf: from what I remember the filesystem is mounted readonly by kinit (part of klibc) and read-write somewhere in /etc/rc.sysinit. not 100% sure on that one but I think you'll need to modify kinit itself (which is unfortunately for us written in C not bash) to use those features. If you decide to do this check out my klibc-plymouth package for a patch that also allows the --attach-to-session option to work. However, arch is moving away from klibc soon so it might be worth waiting for the switch before you go changing anything.

Also, you should put the shutdown bit outside any functions. What it does is that when /etc/rc.local.shutdown is run, it sources /etc/rc.d/functions.d/plymouth so any code inside of it will run. so basically you want the plymouth file to check if it is being called by rc.local.shutdown (which is what the $0 is for), and if so it can start plymouth in shutdown mode. if it was inside a function you'd have to wait for one of those to be called, which could lead to a slight delay and is not quite as elegant (you'd have to make sure it wasn't already running, etc). as to when the x server stops it may depend on whether you start your display manager from rc.conf or inittab. jarryson may know more

Last edited by PirateJonno (2009-10-05 09:13:29)

"You can watch for your administrator to install the latest kernel with watch uname -r" - From the watch man page

#32 2009-10-05 11:25:46

jarryson

thanks PirateJonno's explanation. that's very exhaustive. my english is not good, and i didn't knwo more. big_smile

i didn't consider user who use rc.conf to start x. I am using inittab, so when reboot or shutdown, system will close X first, and then call /etc/rc.shutdown. so when it calls, the plymouth work. and you will not see any default shutdown information.

but if you use rc.conf, e.g slim, it will call rc.shutdown before kill slim. so it will jump back to tty1. That's not good. So i think we can add the following before calling plymouth. 

ck_daemon slim && /etc/rc.d/slim stop

it's better than calling plymouth when "Sending SIGTERM To Processes"...

anyway, i recommoned to use inittab to start you X session.

Last edited by jarryson (2009-10-05 11:28:16)

#33 2009-10-05 18:53:05

jarryson

i  change plymouth.fuction  to like this:
http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/plymo … .functions

ply_client() {
    [ -x /bin/plymouth ] && /bin/plymouth "$@"
}

ply_daemon() {
    [ -x /sbin/plymouthd ] && /sbin/plymouthd "$@"
}

stat_busy() {
    case "$1" in
        "Mounting Local Filesystems")
            ply_client --newroot=/
        ;;
        "Activating Swap")
            ply_client --sysinit
        ;;
    esac

ply_client --update="$1"
    ply_client message --text="$1"

printf "${C_OTHER}${PREFIX_REG} ${C_MAIN}${1}${C_CLEAR} "
    printf "${SAVE_POSITION}"
    deltext
    printf "   ${C_OTHER}[${C_BUSY}BUSY${C_OTHER}]${C_CLEAR} "
}

stat_fail() {
    ply_client --quit

deltext
    printf "   ${C_OTHER}[${C_FAIL}FAIL${C_OTHER}]${C_CLEAR} \n"
}

if [ "$0" == "/etc/rc.shutdown" ]; then
    XPID=`pidof X`
    if [ "$XPID" ]; then
        RUNLEVEL=`runlevel`
        if [ "${RUNLEVEL:2:4}" != '5' ]; then
            [ -e /var/run/daemons/slim ] && /etc/rc.d/slim stop
            [ -e /var/run/daemons/gdm ] && /etc/rc.d/gdm stop
            [ -e /var/run/daemons/kdm ] && /etc/rc.d/kdm stop
            [ -e /var/run/daemons/xdm ] && /etc/rc.d/xdm stop
            [ -e /var/run/daemons/entrance ] && /etc/rc.d/entrance stop
        fi
        kill -9 $XPID &> /dev/null
    fi
    ply_daemon --mode=shutdown
    ply_client --show-splash
fi

i think it will work fine with runlevel 3 and start x through rc.conf. and this script is still fast when runlevel is 5. Tested with runlevel 3 and 5, with and without X.

Commons are very welcome.

Last edited by jarryson (2009-10-05 18:56:59)

#34 2009-10-05 18:59:13

jarryson

The boot process bar is fake, isn't it?

#35 2009-10-05 19:16:49

jarryson

Plymouth Gets An X11 Renderer Plug-In: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NzU4NA

anyone know how to test plymouth under X?

#36 2009-10-05 22:31:11

fijam
Website

jarryson wrote:

The boot process bar is fake, isn't it?

It seems fake. I had some kind of filesystem error and it would just proceed to go on but slower and slower (exponentially?) never actually reaching the end.

edit: Is it possible to remove it?

edit2:
I use the inittab/xinit booting method (without a login manager) and on logout I can see "Switching to runlevel 6" before plymouth kicks in (using jarryson's solution). Any way around it?

Last edited by fijam (2009-10-05 22:53:23)

#37 2009-10-05 23:13:00

Heller_Barde

jarryson wrote:

Plymouth Gets An X11 Renderer Plug-In: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=n … &px=NzU4NA

anyone know how to test plymouth under X?

pull the x11-renderer git branch from the git, compile it, install it, and just run it. it automatically uses the X display specified in the ENV variable "DISPLAY". if it's not set, it uses the framebuffer/kms

worked for me, ymmv

cheers
Barde

#38 2009-10-06 04:15:26

jarryson

fijam wrote:

It seems fake. I had some kind of filesystem error and it would just proceed to go on but slower and slower (exponentially?) never actually reaching the end.

edit: Is it possible to remove it?

edit2:
I use the inittab/xinit booting method (without a login manager) and on logout I can see "Switching to runlevel 6" before plymouth kicks in (using jarryson's solution). Any way around it?

seems there is not way to around it. the fastest way to know system is going to shutdown is through /etc/rc.shutdown. but before that, system will switch to runlevel 6.

but i didn't see this information in my laptop. maybe your mathine is faster than me ; )

#39 2009-10-06 07:41:12

drf

@PirateJonno: I'm actually way more familiar with C than bash big_smile anyway, there's no need to patch it (the device stuff is fixed in the PKGBUILD), I'll look into the code to see where the root fs gets mounted.

P.S.: The progress bar will be fake until --newroot will be fake smile

P.P.S.: X11 renderer is now in the master branch

#40 2009-10-06 08:00:48

fijam
Website

drf wrote:

P.S.: The progress bar will be fake until --newroot will be fake smile

Could you please elaborate?

#41 2009-10-06 08:04:25

drf

Plymouth bases the boot time upon the last boot time and detection of boot events. If it has no place where to write them, they could be quite hard to be retrieved

#42 2009-10-06 18:28:44

joker806

Hi, I've tried to compile using PKGBUILD from the first post, but I get this error

checking for DRM... configure: error: Package requirements (libdrm libdrm_intel libdrm_radeon libdrm_nouveau) were not met:

No package 'libdrm_radeon' found
No package 'libdrm_nouveau' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables DRM_CFLAGS
and DRM_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.

I'm using xf86-video-intel-newest 2.9.0-1 (from AUR) other packages ( mesa, ... ) are from repositories ( with testing repository enabled ).

Do I really need to install nouveau and radeon drivers? Can anybody help?

#43 2009-10-06 18:37:19

FrozenFox
Website

Joker: Jarryson answered that on the plymouth-git AUR page as follows, which worked fine for me:

"it's ok to use libdrm-newest. just need add "--enable-radeon-experimental-api --enable-nouveau-experimental-api" just as arch offical did [to libdrm-newest config flags] and then recompile libdrm-newest.

infact i don't know why it checks such dependences. it can't use both radeon and nouveau drm modules."

Last edited by FrozenFox (2009-10-06 18:38:55)

#44 2009-10-06 18:42:50

joker806

FrozenFox: I forgot to check AUR comments.. now it works like a charm smile.. Thanks

#45 2009-10-06 20:14:40

fijam
Website

drf wrote:

Plymouth bases the boot time upon the last boot time and detection of boot events. If it has no place where to write them, they could be quite hard to be retrieved

So it should work as long as the filesystem is mounted. However, even during normal boot, the progress bar never reaches the end for me, usually the screen gets black and my WM starts at about 2/3rd of the bar. Any way to tweak it?

jarryson wrote:

but i didn't see this information in my laptop. maybe your mathine is faster than me ; )

Or it's slower and plymouth takes longer to start smile

#46 2009-10-06 21:35:23

drf

fijam wrote:

So it should work as long as the filesystem is mounted.

Which is not detected by now, as I already said

However, even during normal boot, the progress bar never reaches the end for me, usually the screen gets black and my WM starts at about 2/3rd of the bar. Any way to tweak it?

no

#47 2009-10-08 12:03:41

bobdob

Has anyone tried this with an encrypted hard drive? Do you have to start it after the hard drive is decrypted or does plymouth have a password box?

#48 2009-10-08 18:38:56

baze

i use networkmanager-git at the moment, which fails when i shut down the machine. somehow that causes plymouth to take really long to get over it when shutting down.
has anyone else experienced anything similar?

actually i have to press ESC a couple of times to exit plymouth or else the machine won't shut down at all!

Last edited by baze (2009-10-08 19:59:38)

#49 2009-10-09 00:23:45

Heller_Barde

bobdob wrote:

Has anyone tried this with an encrypted hard drive? Do you have to start it after the hard drive is decrypted or does plymouth have a password box?

actually yes, it does big_smile it's totally awesome big_smile  (or it will be when it works with the script plugin ^^)

cheers
Barde

#50 2009-10-09 08:41:20

bobdob

Heller_Barde wrote:
bobdob wrote:

actually yes, it does big_smile it's totally awesome big_smile  (or it will be when it works with the script plugin ^^)

cheers
Barde

I tried it, but it didn't work for me. It wouldn't let me enter my password and had to recover with a livecd.

Board footer