Re: 10 years of linux, or how you can waste time slowly

Get some prozac and energy drinks.

#27 2009-10-10 05:09:29

skottish
Forum Fellow

Lich wrote:

@skottish: Sarcasm?!

1% is an over-exaggeration of course, but it's getting to be on the edge of absurd. I mean, I've had more window managers installed on this computer in the last month than I knew existed six months ago. None of them are quite right. I've had four PDF viewers installed this week. None of them are quite right. I have two browsers installed. Neither are quite right. Hell, I been alternating between two versions of poppler so I can both use pdflatex and not regress back the stuff I have from the gnome-unstable repo. That's ridiculous. Gads!

On the other hand, I'm having fun so who cares?

#28 2009-10-10 05:22:20

Lich

Well the fun part is good. Aslong as you feel that you've "learned" Linux up to a level that you're proud of, then that's great (I imagine you have learned a lot since you are a mod).

@jwwolf: A man that can't control his own ways without the need for pills is no man at all (unless he's mentally challenged or has some brain affecting disease). I don't consider myself as beeing part of that crowd, not just yet anyway smile

PS: In other news, Happy Birthday to me (real b-day, not Linux-wise smile )

Last edited by Lich (2009-10-10 05:51:44)

Archlinux | ratpoison + evilwm | urxvtc | tmux

#29 2009-10-10 09:29:25

dyscoria

Once you've learnt that Arch is best, then you've learnt all there is to know about linux big_smile

flack 2.0.6: menu-driven BASH script to easily tag FLAC files (AUR)
knock-once 1.2: BASH script to easily create/send one-time sequences for knockd (forum/AUR)

#30 2009-10-10 09:32:53

toad
Website

Happy birthday!!!

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#31 2009-10-10 09:48:14

Lich

toad wrote:

Happy birthday!!!

Thank you smile

#32 2009-10-10 10:17:32

fijam
Website

I have also recently came to a sad realization that my adventure with Linux is mostly an elaborate procrastination scheme.

skottish wrote:

This is kind of uplifting. I guess.

#33 2009-10-10 10:19:26

rwd

Tweaking things beyond practical purposes to create something 'perfect' can easily become an obsession. But experience with userinterfaces and design is not waste per se. You may consider looking for a user interface related job/education.

#34 2009-10-10 10:22:26

Lich

rwd wrote:

Tweaking things beyond practical purposes to create something 'perfect' can easily become an obsession. But experience with userinterfaces and design is not waste per se. You may consider looking for a user interface related job/education.

I work in a totally different field (advertising), and a switch is not needed at all. I doubt many people would pay to have their window manager set up tongue

Last edited by Lich (2009-10-10 10:24:38)

#35 2009-10-10 11:09:49

rwd

Lich wrote:
rwd wrote:

I work in a totally different field (advertising), and a switch is not needed at all. I doubt many people would pay to have their window manager set up tongue

Maybe you could monetize on the-I-want-a-cool-archlinux-desktop-but-I-have-no-time crowd wink . I was thinking  of user interaction design/ webdesign / graphic design.

#36 2009-10-10 11:22:28

Lich

rwd wrote:
Lich wrote:
rwd wrote:

Maybe you could monetize on the-I-want-a-cool-archlinux-desktop-but-I-have-no-time crowd wink . I was thinking  of user interaction design/ webdesign / graphic design.

Well, I already do that, but it has nothing to do with my Linux abilities, I was doing it before I completly moved to Linux (at home).

Last edited by Lich (2009-10-10 11:23:23)

#37 2009-10-10 13:43:26

Army

Lich wrote:

@Army: As I said, this thread reffers only to my computing life. This dissapointment has not reflection in my real life whatsoever.

Ok, I missed that, sorry ;-)

#38 2009-10-10 14:19:37

StanIsTheMan

LoL @ this post ... very funny ... And very truthful.

I've learned more on Linux from breaking things and fixing them ... and I've had my share of distro hopping. As for themes, WM, Icons, etc ... Its seems at first (since there are SO MANY CHOICES..!) that it can be very cumbersome. Though after using the standard KDE & Gnome, I've settled for OpenBox and Flux.

Last edited by StanIsTheMan (2009-10-11 00:02:52)

#39 2009-10-10 16:18:20

Acecero

I learned more on Linux by talking with other people and I learn from them much faster. When I started using Linux 4 years ago, a friend of mine who was a way more experienced Linux user, mention that I have learned a lot in a very short amount of time. The rate at which I was learning was really incredible.

I would never say spending 10 years on Linux would be wasted. I see that as more of a superior seniority factor. You did what you could at the time.

Last edited by Acecero (2009-10-10 16:19:30)

#40 2009-10-10 22:35:36

QuimaxW
Website

skottish wrote:
Lich wrote:

@skottish: Sarcasm?!

1% is an over-exaggeration of course, but it's getting to be on the edge of absurd. I mean, I've had more window managers installed on this computer in the last month than I knew existed six months ago. None of them are quite right. I've had four PDF viewers installed this week. None of them are quite right. I have two browsers installed. Neither are quite right. Hell, I been alternating between two versions of poppler so I can both use pdflatex and not regress back the stuff I have from the gnome-unstable repo. That's ridiculous. Gads!

I'm reading this...I want to give you a Mac and watch your head explode! (Not literally explode...but you get the idea...)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#41 2009-10-10 22:39:31

QuimaxW
Website

...and yes...I tend to use Linux as a grand procrastination scheme myself. I can't balance my checkbook in KMyMoney if the fonts don't look right after all!

I ahve to admit, my distro hopping is done for my system. It's all Arch here. Window managers, another thing. My several years of linux were from Suse to (a couple that didn't work for me) to Arch. Now I use other people's systems to check out other distros. :-P

Window managers, that's another issue. KDE3 was perfection. KDE4 & I don't get along. Openbox...eh...too much learning for me right now. XFCE is pretty good, it's what I use now. But I can never resist trying KDE to see if it can suck me back in.

What's scarier...after years of Linux, Windows 7 might just suck me back into their world again. (Yes, it is that good.)

Last edited by QuimaxW (2009-10-10 22:40:29)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." -Jim Elliot

#42 2009-10-10 22:45:53

skottish
Forum Fellow

QuimaxW wrote:

I'm reading this...I want to give you a Mac and watch your head explode! (Not literally explode...but you get the idea...)

Macs do want to make my head explode. They're almost as creepy as Windows boxes are.

#43 2009-10-10 22:47:04

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

Acecero wrote:

I learned more on Linux by talking with other people and I learn from them much faster. .

I wish I had such an opportunity. I wish I could pick a guru's brain frequently.

#44 2009-10-10 23:00:17

sokuban

Oh yea, I have a similar story as you.

Luckily (maybe luckily?) I've gotten too tired lately. Before I'd be willing to learn lots of stuff and configure tons of stuff, but now I'm too lazy to do all that.

Or maybe not—today I am currently in the process of attempting to find out how to edit locale settings so that in the Chewing IME it shows "中/英" on the buttons instead of "Chn/Eng" which looks uglier (I say "currently in the process" because I actually did it earlier and I originally wrote this post in past tense, but now I just thought up of a more elegant way to do it); attempted to find a way to separate aac audio from an mp4 video and failed, but in the end realizing that you could tag mp4 videos, so I just dumped the whole video in my music folder and tagged it. Among other things in the past couple of days; [edit], I just remembered I also was also playing with fonts.

Aww, darn, I just thought up of a way I could edit these locale settings more elegantly and I'm going to do it now.

But besides that, I have really been doing a lot less tinkering than before. My theme has pretty much been the same as it has been a few months ago, and it looks like it'll stay the same way for a long time.

But yea, I remember back when I used windows, I didn't bother with any of this stuff, just played games all day. That was the life. Unfortunately there is no going back for me now.

Last edited by sokuban (2009-10-11 00:08:02)

#45 2009-10-11 05:06:44

opothehippo

This marks about 1 year for me.

In addition to wasting time with appearance and so on, its been mostly learning new things - which is good.

Arch x86_64 | XMonad

#46 2009-10-11 12:56:29

Lexion

I've probably spent 1 year out of the 2.5 of linux configuring the crap out of xmonad.  On the upside, I know quite a bit of haskell.  If you configured Awesome or wmii, then you learned a bit of lua or bash.

urxvtc / wmii / zsh / configs / onebluecat.net
Arch will not hold your hand

#47 2009-10-11 13:30:51

Mountainjew

I think this month marks my 3rd year of fully using linux. I first tried it 7 years ago, but always had major problems with hardware compatibility, so i never stuck with it. I've now been using Arch for just over a year and i'm really comfortable in it. Not scared of editing anything, and can usually pinpoint the cause of any problems i have. I'm not great at programming, still learning a lot. I use KDE and pretty much stick to the same apps and don't change themes too often. So i wouldn't say i have an addiction in that area. More like a zest for learning about linux and computing in general. Though i am becoming addicted to compiling my own kernels big_smile

I wouldn't say any of my time on Linux has been a waste, almost everyday i learn something. And it also helps with college too smile

#48 2009-10-11 14:29:31

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Well, I am more than 30 years in personal computing now and estimate to have "wasted" about one third by tinkering around.

But I won't miss it. It became part of my life. And I did largely profit from it. (Even made my living from all this tinkering for quite some time.)

Just don't forget there is a life without computers. smile

Last edited by bernarcher (2009-10-11 14:30:28)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#49 2009-10-11 16:27:43

Lich

bernarcher wrote:

Well, I am more than 30 years in personal computing now and estimate to have "wasted" about one third by tinkering around.

But I won't miss it. It became part of my life. And I did largely profit from it. (Even made my living from all this tinkering for quite some time.)

Just don't forget there is a life without computers. smile

Just to be clear, I consider a waste of time ONLY the GUI setup stuff, and extensive distro hopping. I don't consider "normal" tinkering a waste, like system configurations etc. I have learned a lot about those, but I think I should have known a lot more by now.
And I never forget about the life outside of the computer, the miss takes care of that daily big_smile. Since I started this thread I didn't do anythign to my configurations, just used the computer for my daily browsing and movie watching, and I feel good about it. No more PS1, terminal, font, screen setups. My ratpoisonrc is untouched for days, this is a first for me big_smile

Last edited by Lich (2009-10-11 16:35:04)

#50 2009-10-11 18:41:12

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Lich wrote:

My ratpoisonrc is untouched for days, this is a first for me big_smile

Congratulations!

Well, I couldn't resist and fiddled around with pytyle settings for an hour or two. Not really necessary, though, saving me a few keystrokes only. I feel I put more time in it than I will ever save using this part of the GUI.

It is a kind of obsession, I think. Software drug dependency perhaps... hmm

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

Board footer