You are not logged in.

#276 2013-01-02 07:48:10

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

Re: The Console Display Manager

geekmiki wrote:

I've only tried with tty1, so I don't know if it occurs on other ttys.

So try it!

I don't use Xfce, but I don't like the 'startxfce' in binlist - there should be arguments passed to startx, such as xinitrc files, whereas startxfce is another wrapper running startx with it's own arguments - this might lead to some double re-execution. Try specifying '/etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc' instead of 'startxfce'.

#277 2013-01-02 16:52:48

geekmiki

Strange enough, the problem solved itself after today's startup...

Thanks again for your help!

#278 2013-03-07 00:50:12

osbtensor

new to arch.. so please bear with me.

ive installed arch and openbox with little to no problems.. wanted to install a simple console login manager just to get my "feet wet" with the whole process. but this seems to be a a bigger issue than I originally thought. I will go ahead and say that since i had problems with cdm I installed slim and have had no problems at all. works perfect, right out of the gate.

i'm still somewhat stumped on how to get cdm to work though.. it seems, from what i can tell, that cdm isn't setup for using systemd? they still refer to using rc.conf files, etc. in the arch wiki. I cannot locate any daemons (via systemctl) that would appear to involve cdm. When I try to execute 'cdm ~./cdmrc' i get nothing. the screen flickers and is cleared, but otherwise nothing happens. after this I am required to 'logout' twice so obviously something has occurred, but this is the extent of noticable changes. nothing after running cdm. after running cdm, log out and log back in.. nothing. no change on reboot either.

as i understand systemd i need to enable daemons via systemctl, but if there's not a service associated with cdm, how do you initiate it?

am i missing something? i've searched on the forums and looked in the wiki, but I don't see anything that resembles my issue or how to fix it. after I installed slim with such ease i'm assuming that something with cdm is not right. i read in this topic (page or two back) that there was a listed bug with cdm, but it didn't seem to be related to anything i'm dealing with.. i don't think.

thx for any assistance.

Last edited by osbtensor (2013-03-07 00:53:51)

#279 2013-03-07 02:13:00

bashnev

I'm using cdm (git version in AUR) and systemd and not having any problem. When you install cdm a script is installed to /etc/profile.d/ called zzz-cdm.sh which starts cdm automatically when you log in. So there is no need to start a cdm daemon.

Are you using cdm-git? Does the script exist?

#280 2013-03-07 03:04:40

osbtensor

disregard..

a re-review of my cdmrc file and i found a typo. please ignore my foolishness.

Last edited by osbtensor (2013-03-07 03:06:26)

#281 2013-03-07 07:35:43

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

@osbtensor: btw. there's no cdm daemon, there's no need for it. Cdm is really a simple bash script that is run automatically if you log in to tty1, this is done by the /etc/profile.d/zzz-cdm.sh, as bashnew pointed out.

#282 2013-03-21 13:46:23

markoer

I had the same issue as lswest and Lennie, after sucesfully login it immedately goes once again to login shell and this happens few times while trying to exec wm.
I am using e4rat-preload-lite so there is diferences in preloading library from e4rat itiself, first one read 1000 lines from e4rat startup.log before exec of systemd and rest are readed upon spwaned default.target. Second one is a litle different it reads and preloads bunch and all startup.log before execution of systemd. So with offical e4rat cdm works as it should.
if I bypass e4rat-lite on startup nothing of these happens, as I explained before. Regardless to e4rat wiered behavior with cdm i tryed to Increasse priority of cdm and cmd-xlaunch because everithing is telling me that e4rat-lite preloading method cousing this which means that X can't be registered while not all library are loaded or maybe even skips exec of wm or even has some conflicts, not so shure, but I supposed that i will have errors which i haven't, but that doesn't help eather. If rederection comes in place than everithing is working again but it doesn't exit spawned tty.

creating new var which will define timewait before subshell proc setsid is executed doesn't help, also catching errors can't be done because there is no errors produced by setsid or any parent proc, indeed it always exit normaly. So only solution I found is appending nohup to setsid in cdm-xlaunch, which now works as it should.

#283 2013-03-21 17:39:02

lahwaacz
Wiki Admin

markoer wrote:

I had the same issue as lswest and Lennie, after sucesfully login it immedately goes once again to login shell and this happens few times while trying to exec wm.
I am using e4rat-preload-lite so there is diferences in preloading library from e4rat itiself, first one read 1000 lines from e4rat startup.log before exec of systemd and rest are readed upon spwaned default.target. Second one is a litle different it reads and preloads bunch and all startup.log before execution of systemd. So with offical e4rat cdm works as it should.
if I bypass e4rat-lite on startup nothing of these happens, as I explained before. Regardless to e4rat wiered behavior with cdm i tryed to Increasse priority of cdm and cmd-xlaunch because everithing is telling me that e4rat-lite preloading method cousing this which means that X can't be registered while not all library are loaded or maybe even skips exec of wm or even has some conflicts, not so shure, but I supposed that i will have errors which i haven't, but that doesn't help eather. If rederection comes in place than everithing is working again but it doesn't exit spawned tty.

creating new var which will define timewait before subshell proc setsid is executed doesn't help, also catching errors can't be done because there is no errors produced by setsid or any parent proc, indeed it always exit normaly. So only solution I found is appending nohup to setsid in cdm-xlaunch, which now works as it should.

Does this happen only right after bootup when e4rat is preloading files, or also when you wait some time (e.g. several minutes) for e4rat to finish preloading?

Btw. systemd has native preloading capabilities (read 'systemd-readahead' man-page) - isn't it enough? Also make sure it doesn't conflict with e4rat.

#284 2013-03-21 22:27:09

markoer

Does this happen only right after bootup when e4rat is preloading files, or also when you wait some time (e.g. several minutes) for e4rat to finish preloading?

If I am waiting e4rat to finish then i can enter wm normaly anything else returns me back to shell. Just to mention once more this only happens with e4rat-preload-lite.

Btw. systemd has native preloading capabilities (read 'systemd-readahead' man-page) - isn't it enough? Also make sure it doesn't conflict with e4rat.

AFAIK those two use different approach. Systemd collect boot and user input aka desktop of everything what is started and based on that create profile, also it need's time eventualy days to see real difference. At least this is story from few month ago when i trayed it. e4rat preload explicitly what i want and is desktop oriented, also there is no auto guessing daemon as readahead have. IMHO I think user best know what is important for him to preload and whats irrelevant. Right now I am not willing to try readahead again as I am completly satisfied with e4rat, but thx.

#285 2013-04-03 21:54:31

qwitwa

I updated the installation instructions on the wiki to talk more about systemd, and removed the invocation section since it was no longer needed. Hopefully that'll reduce the number of people wondering why they can't find cdm.service ;P

#286 2014-05-28 20:33:14

greenmanspirit

I am trying to use cdm and i3. When I log in, regardless of what settings I have tried, and select i3. It immediately goes back to a login prompt. I get no output, I see nothing in the logs. However, when I do the cdm-xlauch command directly (I had cdm write it out to a file) it works perfectly. I don't have everything installed on the new machine yet so I don't have the config files to show. Please let me know what else would help and I will get the system the rest of the way installed.

#287 2014-05-29 15:11:02

greenmanspirit

greenmanspirit wrote:

I am trying to use cdm and i3. When I log in, regardless of what settings I have tried, and select i3. It immediately goes back to a login prompt. I get no output, I see nothing in the logs. However, when I do the cdm-xlauch command directly (I had cdm write it out to a file) it works perfectly. I don't have everything installed on the new machine yet so I don't have the config files to show. Please let me know what else would help and I will get the system the rest of the way installed.

I have determined the problem, if I leave consolekit=yes, it works but since I don't have consolekit installed, cdm ends up timing out on its connection. I am going to look into it further and see if I can strip out the consolekit code.

#288 2014-12-09 22:00:06

greenmanspirit

Kpunkt wrote:

Weird, cdm simply doesn't show up automatically if my default login shell (which you can set by using chsh) is set to fish..
If I login and execute cdm, everything works. If I set my default shell to bash, cdm starts automatically.

Any ideas/workarounds? Is this a {fish, bash, cdm}-bug?

This is way after the fact but since I didn't see an answer, I fixed this by adding

sh /etc/profile.d/zzz-cdm.sh

to /etc/fish/config.fish as the last line in the "if status --is-login" block.

#289 2015-04-29 03:59:05

fofoni

Hi! Just installed CDM.

It works great until I hit Enter. When the script reaches the "setsid startx" line in cdm-xlaunch, it just gets me back to the initial tty login screen, as if I had just booted. Nothing gets written to the $startxlog file, and nothing relevant appears in journalctl.

Also, I don't have a ~/.xsession file, I don't even have any wm installed (until I make up my mind about awesome vs. i3 hehe). I have replaced '~/.xsession' by '/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc', which defaults to twm. If I run a plain `startx` from inside bash, twm shows up and works fine. (By the way, if I remove the whole "setsid startx" line and replace it by a plain "startx", it works)

Any ideas? What am I losing by replacing "setsid startx ... &" by "startx" ?

#290 2015-05-17 02:07:45

Snaphuman

fofoni wrote:

It works great until I hit Enter. When the script reaches the "setsid startx" line in cdm-xlaunch, it just gets me back to the initial tty login screen, as if I had just booted. Nothing gets written to the $startxlog file, and nothing relevant appears in journalctl.

As CDM does not use a systemd service you won't see any log with journalctl either.

Nevertheless, what @greenmanspirit has proposed worked for me:

greenmanspirit wrote:

I have determined the problem, if I leave consolekit=yes, it works but since I don't have consolekit installed, cdm ends up timing out on its connection.

#291 2015-05-20 16:32:40

jordan313

I am having a similar issue with CDM - if I use it to launch a command line program it functions great but if I try to launch open box, i3, or awesome I get kicked back to the login prompt, and logging in again just relaunches CDM. Can somebody explain how you guys fixed this issue in more detail? Thank you.

#292 2015-05-28 23:07:24

thd93

jordan313 wrote:

I am having a similar issue with CDM - if I use it to launch a command line program it functions great but if I try to launch open box, i3, or awesome I get kicked back to the login prompt, and logging in again just relaunches CDM. Can somebody explain how you guys fixed this issue in more detail? Thank you.

having this issue as well.

#293 2015-05-30 12:11:02

markoer

jordan313 wrote:
having this issue as well.

You can try my fork it should work fine. 
I removed useless parts of code and added some other modifications, you can read more in Changelogs or git diff <revision>..HEAD

https://github.com/pale3/cdm.git

EDIT:
You can use same PKGBUILD from cdm-git, just remove cdm-xlaunch entries, and replace url and source url with one provided above

Last edited by markoer (2015-05-30 12:16:11)

#294 2015-05-31 18:25:42

jordan313

Thanks! The fork works great and your PKGBUILD modifications for cdm-git also worked flawlessly!

For anyone else struggling with this issue, just install cdm-git but when asked if you want to modify the PKGBUILD select yes and replace the entire PKGBUILD with the following:

# Fork Creator: markoer
# Original Maintainer: Jakub Klinkovský <kuba.klinkovsky@gmail.com>
# Original Contributor: Adlai Chandrasekhar <munchking@gmail.com>
# Original Contributor: Daniel J Griffiths <ghost1227@archlinux.us>
# Original Contributor: Mark Foxwell <fastfret79@archlinux.org.uk>

pkgname=cdm-git
_pkgname="cdm"
pkgver=0.7
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="The Console Display Manager"
arch=('any')
url="https://github.com/pale3/cdm.git"
license=('GPL')
makedepends=('git')
depends=('dialog' 'xorg-xinit' 'xorg-xdpyinfo' 'kbd')
provides=('cdm')
conflicts=('cdm')
backup=('etc/cdmrc')
source=('git://github.com/pale3/cdm.git')
md5sums=('SKIP')
epoch=1

pkgver() {
  cd "$_pkgname"
  git log -1 --format=format:%cd --date=short | sed 's|-|.|g'
}

package() {
  install -d ${pkgdir}/{usr/{bin,share/{doc/cdm,cdm/themes}},etc/profile.d}

cd "$srcdir/$_pkgname"
  install -Dm644 -T README.md "$pkgdir/usr/share/doc/cdm/README"
  install -Dm644 -t "$pkgdir/usr/share/cdm/themes" themes/*

cd "$srcdir/$_pkgname/src"
  install -Dm644 -t "$pkgdir/etc" cdmrc
  install -Dm755 -T profile.sh "$pkgdir/etc/profile.d/zzz-cdm.sh"
}

# vim:set ts=2 sw=2 et:

Once you have replaced the PKGBUILD text with the above code, save the file and then continue building and installing the package normally. I use yaourt to install AUR packages, but this process should work similarly with any AUR helper or manual pkgbuild.

Thanks again markoer!!

#295 2015-06-01 20:23:54

thd93

ok, i installed the fork after removing cdm that i had installed, copied my old cdmrc over and now when i log in it just throws me back to login again.

#296 2015-06-01 21:38:37

markoer

thd93 wrote:

ok, i installed the fork after removing cdm that i had installed, copied my old cdmrc over and now when i log in it just throws me back to login again.

Remove it with all config files -Rnsc flags.. Login to your shell execute bash -x cdm, try to spawn wm, maybe we can see something.. Post your cdmrc here.

#297 2015-06-02 07:51:44

fofoni

Just for the record, I gave up on CDM.  It's not that tried everything I could, but I tried TDM, and it's working great for me. I'm using it with the CDM theme.

#298 2015-06-04 19:13:24

fturco

@markoer: thank you for the fork! now it works correctly

Board footer