You are not logged in.

#51 2005-06-28 02:05:54

Duke

Re: Ubuntu

Ubuntu is great.  I know since this is an Arch forum a lot of people won't like it (since we obviously all like Arch) but I tried it a while ago and I really liked it.  I even ordered a few of those free CDs they offer.

I wouldn't use it over Arch, but I found that for new users Ubuntu shows off alot of good the qualities of Linux distributions without having the newbie oriented feel to it.  I could use it as my only OS on my workstation, but I much prefer Arch.  Although I do use the LiveCD since I have it lying around, and most often I just use LiveCDs to fix stuff (I also use Knoppix, which ever is closest to my hand at the time).

#52 2005-06-28 05:18:59

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Meh, I got sick of ubuntu, there were a handfull of bugs that just shat me up the proverbial wall.

#53 2005-06-28 05:27:16

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

I have nothing but respect for the brotherhood of the Brown U.
Go fighting UPS trucks!

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#54 2005-06-28 23:38:48

droog

I'm finally gonna check it out (on my brothers computer) he keeps wanting me to teach him linux so i figured i would start him on something easy before moving him to arch  :twisted:  and it would give me a chance to check it out too. i ordered some of the free cds the other day, hopefully the get here before the next time i visit him or ill just install arch.

#55 2005-06-29 03:11:16

Euphoric Nightmare

iphitus wrote:

Meh, I got sick of ubuntu, there were a handfull of bugs that just shat me up the proverbial wall.

ditto, i went from ubuntu to Arch.  The bugs in Hoary (especially "kubuntu", but also in the gnome version) killed me.  That and the packages.  Glad I made the switch though, I can't force myself to try other distros now.

#56 2005-09-05 18:38:34

glitz

I'm trying Ubuntu right now smile  The libslay thing seems like a good excuse to try something else for a moment so I'm running an uptodate version of Colony 3 now.  I don't know what to think about Ubuntu however.  It's sort of impressive to have things working without having to configure a single thing, but the package management system is awfully confusing (certainly for the people Ubuntu is most suited for), some features don't work properly, it's rather slow (having to wait a couple of seconds for a popup to show so I can enter the root password is annoying!), fonts look better in Arch,...

I think I'll keep Ubuntu as something to recommend to others, but I'm sticking with Arch!

#57 2005-09-05 19:42:22

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

hmm. i have had exactly the opposite experience. Fonts look way better on my ubuntu box than they did when arch was on it...and for me..that is the benefit. I can deal with just about anything else, but fonts are the stickler for me.

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#58 2005-09-05 22:09:10

sullivanva

What do you do if you think you've found your spiritual match on the 3rd try?

Do you cheat on your significant OS?  You certainly don't go back to RedHat or SuSE!

Both of them got real fat since you left.  Plus you see enough of them at work.

You gotta cheat on your OS, because you need proof that you got the right one!

Can't cheat on the wife.  You can switch jobs and mess about with that stuff, but when you come home you know it'll be there.  "Play with me.  Make me some packages!  Have you run pacman -Syu lately?"

And then the drums start in the distance.

--HAPS

#59 2005-09-06 08:48:43

nagoola

I think Ubuntu or Debian in general is a great Distro, but there are two things that I dont like that much:
1) The config files are too complicated/in wierd places/split up
2) It is not easy enough to compile things from source without messing up the package database (important for server usage)
1 is also the reason why I moved from Gentoo to Arch.
Anyway, I can understand that Debian/Ubuntu totally fits ones needs - just not mine :-)

#60 2005-09-19 00:57:50

murpheus40

cactus wrote:

hmm. i have had exactly the opposite experience. Fonts look way better on my ubuntu box than they did when arch was on it...and for me..that is the benefit. I can deal with just about anything else, but fonts are the stickler for me.

I use both, Arch and Ubuntu and I really don't find difference with fonts...Can you post screenshots so we can compare?

Thanks!

#61 2005-09-19 01:09:32

Lowe

Ubuntu was the second linux distro I've tried and most likely the worst i've ever tried. It's not so bad on the surface, it's when you start to dig deeper you run into the problems. I also found common stuff like nvidia drivers and sound very hard to get working, even though the distro is aimed at newbs?. While the only problem I had with arch was the usb keyboard, but it works now as it was only on the install disk it never worked.

That's not all either, I like to be a little different from what most people like. It's one of the reasons I liked arch as it's was like an unknown gem(and still is). Most things that are popular aren't very good anyway. (Windows, firefox,winamp, coffee and mainstream music)

#62 2005-09-19 05:52:39

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

and some that are popular are good (breathing, eating, sleeping, sex, etc)

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

#63 2005-09-19 08:25:26

Lowe

cactus wrote:

sex..

Well I wouldn't know about that.  sad

#64 2005-09-19 08:47:21

Danny
Website

Lowe wrote:
cactus wrote:

sex..

Well I wouldn't know about that.  sad

I find it pretty good.. roll

I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

#65 2005-09-20 02:38:50

Euphoric Nightmare

I just rediscovered ubuntu on my girlfriends pc....and decided that i hate the initscripts.

#66 2005-09-29 06:17:00

rpgcyco

I switched from Ubuntu recently (2 days ago) and I am very impressed with Arch so far. It's fast, was fairly easy to install (GRUB kept bombing out when I attepted to install it, because my swap was on a logical partition) and I love the having a base system which you work up from. Let's me know what's going on my system.

I did encounter some other things with Arch though, such as X refusing to start on runlevel 3 (maybe there is a reason) and my fonts look the same as I had them in Ubuntu, except for bold fonts with diagonal lines. They look way too chunky.

I have used all versons of Ubuntu. Warty, Hoary and Breezy (completely up to date). They were all great, but the thing I don't like about Ubuntu, is that once it's released, the packages stay as they are. Security problems are fixed by backporting the fixes to the source of the version in Ubuntu. This makes support easier, generally, as everybody has the same feature set, but I still don't like it. tongue

There is also a backports project, but, it's been rather slow moving lately. Not to mention, you have to wait for the package to hit Debian Unstable, then the Ubuntu Dev branch, before it will even be considered for backporting. Sometimes the first step alone takes ages.

At the moment, I am running Arch on the stable branch, though I think I will upgrade to testing once libtool-slay and GCC migration is done. smile

- Rpg Cyco

Board footer