You are not logged in.

#126 2010-02-05 22:15:54

anonbeat
Website

Re: Guayadeque Music Player testing request

Theoden wrote:

anonbeat:

OK - the player at top selection for layouts leaves the player not on the screen as I stated earlier.

However, I was able to manually 'create' my own player at the top layout and save it.

Also - how do I get rid of the 'filters' window section.  I click the [x] to close it - but it does not close.

--Theoden

I need to implement the code to allow to close the filters and the playlist in the player window.

Thanks

#127 2010-02-07 23:00:44

Theoden

anonbeat:

I installed svn version 633-1 - and report the following:

1.  I previously had version 631 installed - and a nice layout configured.  Version 633 lost the layout and came up completely scrambled;

2.  Version 633 no longer minimizes to the tray-icon.  It did in version 631;

3. In order to use version 631 - I had to completely delete and rebuild my guayadeque.conf file - including completely rebuilding my library.  SO I did - then I installed version 633.  Now I had to completely delete and rebuild my guayadeque.conf file - including completely rebuilding my library AGAIN;

4. None of the default layouts work right here - things are always askew, some window sections don't show up at all - e.g., the player control/Album cover window section;

5. Once the new layout was reconfigured (manually) - And the guayadeque.conf and library rebuilt - things worked pretty well.  But it seems fragile.

--Theoden

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs,
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

#128 2010-02-07 23:17:40

anonbeat
Website

Yes they are fragile because Im changing all the layout saving, loading code to avoid lockups and to perfectly save in all situations.

I think revision 634 have fixed all issues but you should delete from the .conf file all previous layouts as it may contain some errors that may give problems.

Sorry for the problem with the conf.

I want to know what do you think about the new possibilities to rearrange all the gui panels.

Thank you very much for your help

#129 2010-02-08 00:43:14

Surgat_

I've just built svn 634. At first it shows the same window as svn 630, but now if I load a layout and take the library out and back in the player won't appear. I can get the gui arranged the way I want, but I won't get the important part (the player controls and so); instead I get a grey square. I don't know if you understand me... the window is like some hours before: library on the right panel and playlist on the left bottom one, but the top left square where the player controls, track details, navigation bar, cover, etc should be is just grey.

I've tried to play some tracks from the library, but they won't play. The playlist is filled with the tracks I try to play and the play triangle appears next to the first track of the playlist, but I hear nothing and the grey square remains grey...

I hope you can fix this one easily.

#130 2010-02-08 06:21:18

anonbeat
Website

You prolly are using layouts saved with older versions. Could you please try with the default config and from that point add the layouts and try again?

you need to only remove ~/.guayadeque/guayadeque.conf file with the app closed. Then restart the app.

#131 2010-02-08 15:09:21

Surgat_

Updated to svn 638 and still the same. With the default config.

I've noticed that the player actually appears when I start guayadeque, but when I load a layout and turn off and back on the library, it gets lost. So I can have player but not library, or library but not player.

#132 2010-02-08 15:42:09

anonbeat
Website

Are you using latest svn revision? Dont use any predefined layouts you have created with older version with this. You should start with no layouts in the menus and create your own.

#133 2010-02-08 16:40:21

Theoden

anonbeat:

I built and installed svn version 638.  Everything seems better than 633.  The player controls now show as they should and things seem much easier to move around and set in place.  Just a couple of issues for me:

1.  svn version 638 still does not minimize to the systray icon - 631 did.  You clearly changed something that broke that behavior;

2.  We still have to delete the guayadeque.conf file and rebuild and configure it - and rebuild the library with every update.  This means that guayadeque currently is NOT a smooth upgrade.

3.  One other issue I notice is that there is no way currently to fast-forward in a track.  This is something that should be enabled at some point.

In summary, svn version 638 seems a definite improvement.  All in all, I like the way the window elements can be moved and configured.  Good job.

--Theoden

#134 2010-02-09 00:13:57

Surgat_

I was using the latest revision with new config file (renaming the previous one), but I have reinstalled svn 638 now (I had downgraded previously) and now it works as expected. I also like the way the panels are configured now.

@Theoden: you don't need to rebuild your library with every update if you configure the library directories (in preferences) right after starting guayadeque and before trying to play, edit tags, etc.

#135 2010-02-09 00:40:06

anonbeat
Website

Surgat_ : great then

In latest svn revision have been added playback vumeters. See screnshot

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=68&g2_serialNumber=2

What do you think about vumeters ? I like them

#136 2010-02-09 01:00:57

Theoden

anonbeat:

Tried to build svn version 639.  It failed to build,  Here is the error:

CMake Error in src/CMakeLists.txt:
  Cannot find source file "Vumeters.cpp".  Tried extensions .c .C .c++ .cc
  .cpp .cxx .m .M .mm .h .hh .h++ .hm .hpp .hxx .in .txx

-- Build files have been written to: /var/abs/local/yaourtbuild/guayadeque-svn/src/guayadeque/Trunk
==> ERROR: Build Failed.
    Aborting...
Error: Makepkg was unable to build guayadeque-svn package.

--Theoden

#137 2010-02-09 10:22:19

anonbeat
Website

Sorry forgot to upload two new files sad

They are up now

#138 2010-02-09 18:30:01

Theoden

anonbeat:

I built and installed guayadeque svn version 644.  It now builds correctly.  I note the following:

1.  svn version 644 still does not minimize to the systray-icon - though svn version 631 did.  Again - you clearly changed something that broke that behavior and it needs to be fixed;

2.  There is no way currently to fast-forward in a track.  This is something that should be enabled;

As to your question regarding vu meters ...

What do you think about vumeters ? I like them

I have no ill feeling about vu meters themselves.  However, the interface begins to get a bit crowded and jumbled with too many elements when you add them.  Frankly, guayadeque was on the verge of having a 'too busy interface' BEFORE you added them.  That is why I wanted to remove the filters element.

Also, too many elements and features may begin to threaten the claim of Guayadeque to be 'lightweight and fast'.  The last thing I would like to see is Guayadeque become bloated with what are really pointless features.  Even if one doesn't use them and turns them off - the code is still bloated with them.  Just something to consider.

I for one would be in favor of dropping the vu meters.  Lean mean and fast is what drew me to Guayadeque.

--Theoden

#139 2010-02-09 23:44:47

Surgat_

I agree that the window is getting quite bloated. Actually, I only use playlist, library (artists and albums), last.fm and lyrics.

#140 2010-02-10 06:26:18

anonbeat
Website

Thats is the point. You have choices to select what you need. You have the option to configure your perfect player screen. You drag elements around till you get the layout that is good for your need. I still want to add a few more elements like for the library more selectors (rating, composer, year,...) New Tabs also will come

#141 2010-02-10 15:45:06

Theoden

anonbeat wrote:

Thats is the point. You have choices to select what you need. You have the option to configure your perfect player screen. You drag elements around till you get the layout that is good for your need. I still want to add a few more elements like for the library more selectors (rating, composer, year,...) New Tabs also will come

Well - when it becomes too bloated - like  most of the other players - don't be surprised when some of us move on.  Like I said last time - I was initially attracted to Guayadeque because it was lightweight - lean, mean and fast - not bloated.  When it stops being like that - I will be attracted elsewhere.  I'm sure others will too.

Feature-bloat is one of the chief complaints about many software projects these days.  Firefox comes to mind.  When firefox started out - it too was lean, mean and fast.  But today, it has become bloated and anything but lean and mean.  I quit using firefox for that reason.  I would hate to see the same happen to Guayadeque.

--Theoden  hmm

#142 2010-02-13 23:14:26

Theoden

anonbeat:

I built and installed svn version 648.  Everything is running smoothly.

--Theoden

#143 2010-02-14 09:01:51

knedlyk
Website

Theoden wrote:

Well - when it becomes too bloated - like  most of the other players - don't be surprised when some of us move on.  Like I said last time - I was initially attracted to Guayadeque because it was lightweight - lean, mean and fast - not bloated.  When it stops being like that - I will be attracted elsewhere.  I'm sure others will too.

Feature-bloat is one of the chief complaints about many software projects these days.  Firefox comes to mind.  When firefox started out - it too was lean, mean and fast.  But today, it has become bloated and anything but lean and mean.  I quit using firefox for that reason.  I would hate to see the same happen to Guayadeque.

--Theoden  hmm

+1. That is exactly what we are discussed with anonbeat in a private conversation.

#144 2010-02-14 10:43:53

anonbeat
Website

Added 2010-02-14 :
* Added an album browser. Its another way to access the music by viewing the covers of the albums, its name, artist, year and tracks.

* Also an option in Preferences -> General to load default layout. This option if enabled will bypass the saved layouts in case your layout is corrupted. Its a only one use preference. It will get reset once the app load to default value.

* Another features added are the Rescan library and add directory. Rescan library will force a complete update of the library while Add directory will allow to add a directory to the library paths.

#145 2010-02-14 21:13:33

Theoden

anonbeat:

I built and installed svn version 651.  I looks pretty good.  But ...

When you try to enable podcats - the program crashes - every time.

01:03:31 PM: Database updating started.
01:03:31 PM: Updating the podcasts...
Segmentation fault

This is the first version that this has happen to.  Need to check this out.

Also - I noticed that the update check of the library at startup takes twice as long as it did before adding the Album Browser.  Again I remind you of the danger of feature bloat.  Guayadeque will just be another player if you keep trying to add every feature everyone else has.  Lean and mean was it's absolute best feature.  I feel it beginning to slip away.  sad

--Theoden

Last edited by Theoden (2010-02-14 21:17:11)

#146 2010-02-17 18:41:56

Theoden

hmm ...

It appears that all communication has stopped on this project.  sad

--Theoden

#147 2010-02-20 18:05:49

anonbeat
Website

Added 2010-02-15 :
* The select cover allow to enter a remote url for the cover file.

* There have been some ppl with display issues in Album browser because they have already added images in the database in the wrong format. This version should fix this issue but a Rescan of the library will be launched the first time the app start with this version.

Added 2010-02-19 :
* Have been added to the library composer, comments and disk. Still pending to add search for this fields in the smart playlists.
* Also have been fixed a few tiny bugs like the page count not updated when updated the library, or search words in podcasts was case sensitive, etc

Added in 2010-02-20 :
In revision 677 have been fixed a few bugs reported recently and also have been implemented drag and drop support in the Album Browser.
You can drag an album to a playlist or to the Playing now playlist and also using Control you can drag the cover to Nautilus or to another album. You can also drag an image file into the album you want to set the cover.

Theoden:
can you check the library update speed? it should be at least the same as how it was before.

Thanks

#148 2010-02-20 23:02:26

Theoden

anonbeat:

The library update speed seems to be back on track.  I appreciate your attention to that issue.  All in all - things are looking very good.

--Theoden

#149 2010-02-22 19:01:05

anonbeat
Website

I have fixed a few bugs latelly. Mostly some cosmetic bugs and two important ones that cause guayadeque to segfault in some special conditions navigating thought the album browser or droping files to the playlist.
I will wait for a few days more to release 0.2.5 waiting for bugs

Thank you for your testing effort

#150 2010-02-27 09:35:03

anonbeat
Website

Added in 2010-02-20 :
In revision 677 have been fixed a few bugs reported recently and also have been implemented drag and drop support in the Album Browser.
You can drag an album to a playlist or to the Playing now playlist and also using Control you can drag the cover to Nautilus or to another album. You can also drag an image file into the album you want to set the cover.

Added in 2010-02-27 :
The latest changes are :

710     Copy to clipboard the artist info in last.fm panel copy the selection or the whole information
709     Double click over a radio genre update the stations of this genre
708     ListBoxes now handles Enter key to select
707     Avoid miss skip tracks when doing fast enought
706     Fix launching links
705     Update the italian translation
704     Fix drop a cover over an empty album in albumbrowser
703     Edit tracks from playlist updates the player tracks
702     AlbumBrowser remembers the filter and sorting options
701     Fix handling of the right click in listboxes to dont unselect
700     Show GUI Errors reported by gstreamer backend
699     Add disk field to the order of albums
698     Fix loose album cover when edit album, right click dont select in listboxs, editing labels didnt refresh the actual label selection
697     Fix add path library update and tracks sorting fix
696     Select covers now copy covers to the album dir too. Navigator launch dont disable gui anymore
695     Fix Docky icon
694     Fix dropping directory to playlist
693     Fix ReplayGain read support
692     Fix copy to clipboard issues
691     Fix dynamic playlist names when using ' charcater
690     When adding radio name entry control should be focused by default
689     Fix last.fm panel events gone when playing another track of the same artist
688     Fix set menu items state when loading perspective to represent current layout
687     Fix gramatical typo in dynamic playlist
686     Fix random segfault in last.fm panel
685     Removing some words from the Default config and icon
684     Fix random crashes while browsing albums or droping files to playlist
683     Fix volume to 0% at load time when volume was at 100%
682     Fix bug when library is empty no albums should appear in album browser
681     Fix the horizontal wheel scrolling in tracks listbox
680     Added link to the Guayadeque last.fm users group to the preferences
679     Set the scrolling in last.fm behave the same as in other controls
678     composer and comment to the dynamic playlists options

Board footer